Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing
Quote | Reply
https://www.paymyrace.com/ No more fundraising on your own to race! You can now tap into this system to tap into your friends and family to pay your way to race. Don't know if this is genius or ridiculous. But I guess with the prices of races these days someone was bound to find a way to make money off of that as well. An interesting find on FB this morning.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm firmly in the "If you can't afford your hobby then get a new hobby" camp.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well we can't all be pros like Angela.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you win the internet for the day of 18 September 2014

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had a site for that for a LONG time: Team in Training.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrankShaft wrote:

Damn, just dropped the mic and walked off stage with that one.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:
https://www.paymyrace.com/ No more fundraising on your own to race! You can now tap into this system to tap into your friends and family to pay your way to race. Don't know if this is genius or ridiculous. But I guess with the prices of races these days someone was bound to find a way to make money off of that as well. An interesting find on FB this morning.

That's kind of like that radio host that took on panhandling in ATL a few years back...he went and asked homeless guys to help pay his HOA fees.

I don't know how I feel about this...honestly. I'd donate to a kid or someone raising funds for a cause...maybe a few other exceptions...but not many.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
dforbes wrote:

That's kind of like that radio host that took on panhandling in ATL a few years back...he went and asked homeless guys to help pay his HOA fees.

I don't know how I feel about this...honestly. I'd donate to a kid or someone raising funds for a cause...maybe a few other exceptions...but not many.

I would never donate to an adult to go race but I have given money to multiple local teenagers that were trying to go over to Europe to race and weren't from well off families.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so it is like sugardaddy.com but it is for a races instead of shoes and you don't get a BJ in return.. nothing new

Doesn't mean I approve of it but it is nothing new.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrankShaft wrote:

Your site is not even in the same ballpark as the site I listed.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:

"
4. What if I decide NOT to participate in the race after I started my campaign?
There are lots of reasons why you may not participate in an event such as injury, illness, or some other unexpected life event. As with most crowd-funding sites, we operate on the honor system. You raise the money and people contribute to your cause. But at the end of the day, what you do with it is up to you. If you something comes up and you can no longer participate in that event, the money is still yours to use how you see fit. You can apply it to a different race, use it to purchase new race gear, or send the money back to the contributors. The choice is yours. Just remember that people are expecting you to race that event so if you don't do it, it's a good idea to let them know why and what you plan to do with the money."

8. Why didn't I receive the full amount of funds?
When you request the disbursement of your funds, you may have noticed that you didn't receive the full amount. That's because PayMyRace takes a little bit out to cover operating expenses and payment processing. The payment processor we use takes 2.9% + an additional $0.30 per transaction while PayMyRace takes a 5% fee to cover operational costs. That means for every transaction, there will be a 7.9% + $0.30 deduction from the total. Many crowd-sourcing sites take even more than this and we worked hard to find the most reliable and trustworthy payment processor with the most reasonable rate.
"

Hehe. Freeloaders gonna freeload.

My triathlon training blog
Last edited by: tejanatab: Sep 22, 14 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:
CrankShaft wrote:

Your site is not even in the same ballpark as the site I listed.

"We" as in athletes... I am proud to self funded my hobbies and loathe the pompous purple horde.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can get a bike with electronic shifting after all.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrankShaft wrote:

Team in Training is a bit different as you are not raising money for yourself. You are raising money for a charity which gives you a "prize" for raising a certain amount. Donations are tax deductible.

Pay My Race is modern day begging.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
CrankShaft wrote:

Team in Training is a bit different as you are not raising money for yourself. You are raising money for a charity which gives you a "prize" for raising a certain amount. Donations are tax deductible.

You can split hairs if you want - I understand the difference. However, in both cases you are asking for someone else to fund your race (directly or I directly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. Who would like to fund my trip to IM Nice. Please throw an extra couple of bucks in, my wife and kids want to go also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrankShaft wrote:
rbuike wrote:
CrankShaft wrote:

You can split hairs if you want - I understand the difference. However, in both cases you are asking for someone else to fund your race (directly or I directly).
It's hardly splitting hairs. One of them is pure and simply asking people to pay for your races while a for profit company takes a cut. In the other, a charity receives several thousand dollars as a result of your funding from people that probably would not be donating were you not doing the training and racing. Sure, other people are paying for your race, but to say there's no difference is not being completely honest. I've done team in training and raised $3400, $2700 went to the leukemia and lymphoma society. In exchange for raising that money, yes I was able to race for free. Call me a beggar if you will. You'd be the first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's almost as though these people think that we got our money free and did not have to work for it ourselves.

Similar to this, I saw this on social media this morning...

"My name is Xxxx Xxxx" and I am an aspiring contemporary Jade artist. I started carving Jade about 4 years ago and I even attend college for Design/Art because of my LOVE for the stone Jade. The WORLD JADE SYMPOSIUM is a world wide event that brings together the best jade carvers across the world. I have entered the symposium and started working on a beautiful wearable carving that is sure to get recognition. I am one of 50 participating in this cross cultural symposium(China included)!
I am asking for donations to allow myself and my Wife to attend the exhibit in Vancuver, BC with many of the other participants. As an aspiring artist, I am eger to show my work on the world stage."

Oh, let me sit in my cubie and work a full day and give you money while you carve a freak'n stone. I bet he defaults on his student loans!

Yes, I'm a little "jaded"!

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [TriDadInAvl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDadInAvl wrote:
You'd be the first.

No, I wouldn't.

I know a lot of people that have raised money for TNT in order to do a destination race - in other word, pay for their race. Listen, I'm glad you raised money, but I would be more impressed if you also donated the race fee.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Well we can't all be pros like Angela.

+

Totally off this thread's topic, but related to above: anyone notice a certain thread is conspicuously missing from the Forum these days. Anyone know where it went? I think it's kinda bullshit for a thread to disappear with no explanation (though I was traveling, so I might have missed the explanation)... In other news, I might be nominally more productive at work with it gone.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [TriDadInAvl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDadInAvl wrote:
CrankShaft wrote:
rbuike wrote:
CrankShaft wrote:

It's hardly splitting hairs. One of them is pure and simply asking people to pay for your races while a for profit company takes a cut. In the other, a charity receives several thousand dollars as a result of your funding from people that probably would not be donating were you not doing the training and racing. Sure, other people are paying for your race, but to say there's no difference is not being completely honest. I've done team in training and raised $3400, $2700 went to the leukemia and lymphoma society. In exchange for raising that money, yes I was able to race for free. Call me a beggar if you will. You'd be the first.

Why didn't you just race for leukemia then and pay for your entry on your own and $700 more could've gone to charity.

Just seems like a weird business model. When I raised $3500 for the girl scouts on my way to Boston, $3500 went to the Girl Scouts. Not a dime to myself or my expenses. Out of pocket I then bought my own entry, my own plane ticket, my own everything.

I'm not a fan of the TiT model, but at least you raised some money.

Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fiance and I did IMWI in 2012 to raise money for the MS Society. We paid our entry fees and all of our expenses. After registering, we contacted the MS Society and had them set up a page for us and did fundraising directly through that. All funds raised went straight to them.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I did for Boston. I qualified and then approached the Girl Scouts and asked them to raise money. They set me up with a page and I raised money for them. I paid all my expenses.

Good on you and the SO!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.monster.com

New way for people to fund all their race trips!
Last edited by: USPro Tri: Sep 22, 14 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: I guess theres a website now that helps you raise funds for racing [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
http://www.monster.com

New way for people to fund all their race trips!

I searched for Professional Triathlete and got "Sorry, no "porfessional triathlete" jobs were found that match your criteria"

However..............When I searched model & actor there were in fact jobs out there ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply

Prev Next