Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I guess better remove tires now for TSA
Quote | Reply
Not sure if posted already, but thanks to that guy we are going to have much more fun flying with our bikes....

https://www.cnet.com/...ycle-bike-instagram/

Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ughh great.

Just flew with my bike 2 weeks ago. I put so much other stuff in my bike bag other than my bike (nutrition, shoes, helmet, clothes, etc), I've always wondered how TSA goes through it all.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stupid thing is he could actually bring the firearm on the plane in checked luggage. Kind of like his bike being checked luggage.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The stupid thing is he could actually bring the firearm on the plane in checked luggage. Kind of like his bike being checked luggage.

This. Place firearm in a hard case. Declare it. Lock the case. Check it in.

Dumbass. :

Let's hope TSA does not alter their bike box check procedures as a reaction to this. If they do yes we'll be taking off our tires, or they'd do it for us.

Large airports have oversized x-ray machines. Small ones do not. Even those airports that do, it seems each time I fly, their procedures for oversize are different. Sometimes I need to drop the box off on aconveyor belt at the oversize xray machine. Other times oversize baggage handler takes it from me and wheels the box away... somewhere. Or sometimes I need to hand it myself for manual inspection at a TSA booth. This all at the same airport (SEA).
Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ughh great.

Just flew with my bike 2 weeks ago. I put so much other stuff in my bike bag other than my bike (nutrition, shoes, helmet, clothes, etc), I've always wondered how TSA goes through it all.

When I flew to IM Wales I had so many ziplocs of pre-measured Infinit in the box with it, it looked like Pablo Escobar had packed my bike for me.

TSA obviously went through the box because they left it partially unlatched on the PHL>LHR leg, so I can only imagine what they thought when they saw the baggies.
Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

This. Place firearm in a hard case. Declare it. Lock the case. Check it in.

Dumbass. :

Let's hope TSA does not alter their bike box check procedures as a reaction to this. If they do yes we'll be taking off our tires, or they'd do it for us.

Large airports have oversized x-ray machines. Small ones do not. Even those airports that do, it seems each time I fly, their procedures for oversize are different. Sometimes I need to drop the box off on aconveyor belt at the oversize xray machine. Other times oversize baggage handler takes it from me and wheels the box away... somewhere. Or sometimes I need to hand it myself for manual inspection at a TSA booth. This all at the same airport (SEA).

What case do you use, what exp you have with getting hit with extra fees and which airlines out of Seattle?
Quote Reply
Re: I guess better remove tires now for TSA [OldnFat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trico Ironcase. It weighs 31lbs empty so bike should ideally be19lbs or less. Why? Sometimes the clerks don't charge the oversize fee and let me check in the bike for free if the case is under 50lbs, even though it is still technically oversize. :) That's pretty cool.

Alaska, and Southwest. They charge $75 which isn't bad. Like I said sometimes they won't charge if the box is under 50 lbs. I ride a large Spesh Shiv with pretty heavy wheels (carbon with alu brake tracks) and it just squeaks under 19 lbs. If this bike does, most others should too.
Quote Reply