Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I got some really good running advice tonight
Quote | Reply
I was just about to turn into my neighborhood at the tail end of a 5-mile run around 5:30 this evening. It was just getting dark, and I was wearing running tights with reflective trim on the front and sides, a neon yellow running shirt with reflective trim on the front and back, shoes and gloves both covered with reflective trim, and Knuckle Lights on both hands. (For anyone who hasn't seen Knuckle Lights, they are super-bright LED flashlights that strap to your knuckles and illuminate the ground in front of you but also act as headlights to oncoming traffic. They're pretty awesome.) I was running on the left side of the road facing towards oncoming traffic when a woman driving in the same direction I was running rolled down her window, stuck her head out, and in complete seriousness yelled "you need more light!" I held my hands up and replied "I can't get much brighter than these!" but she was already speeding away and definitely couldn't hear me.

While I appreciate the woman's concern for my well-being, her actions infuriated me the more I thought about it. First of all, I was on the opposite side of the road as her so she was in no danger of coming anywhere near me, and the cars coming towards me could obviously see my lights. Second, I literally don't know how I could've made myself any more visible - I guess maybe a reflective vest? Lastly, and I think most importantly, her actions only made the situation more dangerous. By hanging out the window and addressing me she was clearly taking her focus off of driving, and also distracting me from focusing on the road in front of me and any potential oncoming traffic. Admittedly the whole exchange was over in a few seconds, but that's all it takes to get distracted and make one wrong move into the path of an oncoming car.

Nobody cares more about my personal safety than me, and I found it pretty ridiculous that this woman felt compelled to lecture me when I was doing all the right things. Obviously there's not much I can do about it now but I needed to vent a little.

That's all, carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not about lights. She didn't like runners. Why? You'd need to ask her. With cycling it's easy to see why the animosity. We are seen as holding up traffic and interrupting someone's day. (Not true because they will just end up right back on the rear bumper of the car they were behind before they encountered us.) But why do some people look cross-eyed at runners? Best guess: culture clash. Next best guess: secretly jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the compulsion to parade around like a Pink Floyd laser show come at the price of lacking an ability to recognize sarcasm?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or she was being sarcastic....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going with sarcasm. Actually, I find her action rather amusing "in light" of your wardrobe choice.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd categorize it more as a compulsion to not get run over by a car, but either way, sarcasm is only effective when it actually can be recognized. Given that I was running and she was trying to communicate with me from a moving vehicle, it would've been tough to tell. But like I said, I'm pretty sure it was in complete seriousness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So.... it appears that Duffy is correct...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be, I'll have to do some research on Pink Floyd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, I see what you did. You used the sarcastic thread title, so this whole thread is like a double reverse sarcastic post.

Well done my man, well done. Golf clap...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, now I'm really confused. You were going for sarcasm there right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe she was being sarcastic?

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

Woosh! (You know, the sound of the car going by...)

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

Woosh! (You know, the sound of the car going by...)

Well, it didn't hit him because he was lit up brighter than a Christmas tree at Mardi Gras.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think she wanted to give you her number.....
The way you reacted, you were either not in the game or she wasn't attractive.

I also get stupid comments, mostly insulting, when I am out there running or riding too.
Always take it as a compliment and smile and wave.
But I am gonna give the "wanna hook up?" approach a second thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you've got the front covered, but not the back. If she was to make a left turn, she might not have seen you. You should get something like this so you have 360 degree coverage:

Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best running hat ever!
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unreal. I wonder if I can get one with a Slowtwitch logo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

While I appreciate the woman's concern for my well-being, her actions infuriated me the more I thought about it. First of all, I was on the opposite side of the road as her so she was in no danger of coming anywhere near me,

Unless she turned left. Then you'd be screwed.

In all seriousness, it does sound like you need more light. Doesn't help if you're invisible on the side the car is coming from. Cars aren't only coming from one direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered getting an LED that says 'I'm a triathlete' so any further confusion can be avoided in the future? She won't say a word next time promise.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea. I started telling her all about my training but she drove away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Good idea. I started telling her all about my training but she drove away.

That's the spirit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd hardly call that a "lecture".....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Have you considered getting an LED that says 'I'm a triathlete' so any further confusion can be avoided in the future? She won't say a word next time promise.

http://www.signal-tech.com/..._architectural/31418
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Wait, I see what you did. You used the sarcastic thread title, so this whole thread is like a double reverse sarcastic post.

Well done my man, well done. Golf clap...

Only way we would have had more twists and turns is if Keyser Soze himself started this thread

Quote Reply

Prev Next