25-26 April Cape Town, South Africa.
16-17 May Yokohama, Japan.
Dates TBC London, Great Britain
18-19. July Hamburg, Germany.
22-23 August Stockholm, Sweden.
5-6 September Edmonton,
Canada 15-20 September Chicago, USA

A few observations and thoughts:

1) There is no Rio test event which I find puzzling. The ITU say that a tenth city will be possibly announced later. Rio is supposedly going to hold a test event in September but hard to see that it will be ITU series (risking that the field won't be particularly rich)

2) In terms of taking ITU racing across the world, it is impressive. But the organisers have taken no heed at all of the general complaints from the athletes (Gomez, Jorgensen, Brownlee, Murray) about the length of season or the amount of traveling. It is actually tougher this time.

3) The courses are generally boring and flat (London, Yokohama, Chicago, Cape Town), meaning they strongly favour fast runners. In 2013, it seemed the ITU was moving towards a more interesting range of courses (Madrid with its hill, the Kitzbuhel mountain, Stockholm cobbles). Only Stockholm features this year. So no encouragement for the better cyclists.

4) With the bias on running, this is Jorgensen's world title to take.

5) With such a long season and the requirement of taking part in 6 races, it stops the top athletes experimenting with other (possibly non-drafting) formats. Which I don't think is healthy.

Interestingly, Alistair Brownlee said last month that unless the world series changes into something more sensible, he is not going to chase it again. So I think Mola and Gomez (unless say Coninx steps up which is quite possible) will be the favourites for the title.
Last edited by: FeketeBlob: Sep 5, 14 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's possible they could use Rio as just a World Cup or even Continental Cup. They had World Military Games there in 2011 which kind of was a quasi test event...
As for the travel and points chasing, the reason they developed the series vs. a one-day world championship was also based on athlete feedback of not wanting it to be up to chance, whereas now they've gone the opposite way and made it too much almost.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They've scheduled New Zealand, Australia and Cape Town at two week intervals, then Yokohama 3 weeks after South Africa. There then follows two months where presumably London will slot in, then Hamburg (which is always excellent) at the end of July and four weeks later, Stockholm. So between mid May to the end of August (the traditional season), there are only 3 races. For European (or Europe based) athletes who can afford to set up a training base in New Zealand or Australia, I can see that the schedule might be manageable. But it is not fair on the majority who don't earn that much from the sport who will probably have to jet out to a venue and return a few days later. I'd be interested to hear from the Brownlees, Non Stanford, Vicky Holland etc whose coaches and training centres are in Leeds. Are they going to want to move to the Southern Hemisphere for two months in spring without coaches (who are employed to look after others in Leeds.)

My particular gripe is the lack of adventurous courses that give athletes who are not great runners a chance. Remember the Kitzbuhel mountain which all the athletes (even those that hated doing it) were positive about because it was so different and a challenge. Admittedly, Alistair B won it with ridiculous ease but in the top ten we saw Ryan Sissons, Sven Riederer, Henri Schoeman, Richard Varga ... it allowed different sorts of athletes a chance to shine be stressing a different discipline (in the way that running is stressed on flat courses.) Why not a swim that favours good swimmers in some way?
Last edited by: FeketeBlob: Sep 5, 14 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. ITU have lost the plot. They lack imagination. They could be left with the most boring races and without their best athletes. A recipe for decline in public interest and further decline in sponsors interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at it from an USA Olympic Trials prospective. Some indicate Chicago would be it, but I'm wondering if we only have 4 men, would that suffice for making it a "Trials"? Unless the 3rd girl for USA actually can step it up, give me a domestique for GJ. She's shown the bike is a liability for now and it would make sense to atleast try and cover her. Still haven't watched GF's last week but seems Haskins rode for her and helped save her energy on the bike course.

Or maybe they just go with a CC in Dallas or whatever. I'm not sure, ready for that info to come out.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So AG Worlds in Chicago is the 15th-20th. Why five days?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes that long to contest all the races. The aquathons, junior races, U23 races, elites, AG Olympic, AG sprint spread out over the week.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's to hoping the AG Sprints in Chicago are late in the week! IM Wisconsin the Sunday before is going to be a great warmup for me for Sprints :)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the sprint is always last, or just before paraolympic athletes.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Edmonton, looks like they did Sprint on Friday and Olympic on Monday. I'm crossing my fingers that they do it on Friday at the earliest, and do the aquathon and other stuff earlier. Tuesday through Sunday seems long even for all the new events!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A successful domestique relationship is still hard to come by. Virtually the only time it ever worked out was in London with GB. Every other time it pretty much has failed completely. Funny you mention Haskins pulling GJ. I was there in Edmonton and a lot of chatter than Haskins got big bucks to do that. Haskins still had an incredible run afterwards too.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI, GF's have been that long for a while. It's not suddenly anything new, especially with I think the para-triathletes as part of the races as well.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the thought of swimming in rio - the water pollution and the fact that they have finally conceded that it will be impossible to clean up may be not such a bad thing given that the sailing events are extremely concerned about the risk of contracting water bourne diseases.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Domestiques in the women's game is way easier to handle than it is in the men's game, AND GJ clearly needs it and absolutely deserves it. This isn't like the Brownlees who need an domestique in "name" only. It doenst matter if Haskins got money or not (not sure what the point is there), that's what you have to do, then you do it. We had a domestique for Lukas Verbiczas fail miserably in Cape Town, but with GJ almost always having a front pack swim, she'll definitely benefit *more times* than not.
ETA: The ITU site has Haskins as DNF.
ETA #2- I don't think it was a secret that Haskins was there to work for GJ. I knew looking at the start list, that's the only way she makes the Olympic games in 2014 because she's likely not strong enough to make it on an automatic spot anymore.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 5, 14 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The American selectors have some interesting dilemmas. As a UK neutral, it would seem to me that Katie Hursey is slowly making a strong case for herself as a regular front pack swimmer and top 10 finisher. Sarah Groff (although in two years time, she may have slowed down) is also deserving of the sport. And GwenJ of course will be two times world champion ... An embarrassment of riches. If Rio is (as rumoured) very hilly, then giving GJ a cycling domestique but it would be very unfair on either Groff or Hursey ...

Where the USA men are concerned, even a top fifteen finisher would take a bit of luck as thing stand.

But I take the point made earlier about the Brazilian pollution (the contamination figures I have read are horrific). It wouldn't surprise me if the triathlon isn't canceled for this very reason.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Haskins still had an incredible run afterwards too.

Haskin's DNF'd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me refirm my stance. If all 3 athletes can make the "automatic" spots (usually have to be top 9 at a ITU race), then they deserve it. But if say a Hursey finishes 11th and she needed a top 9, then I have zero problem with adding an domestique. At this level, it's cut throat racing, so *IF* there is an actual spot open, then let's put a domestique in there. I personally don't think we will have 3 americans make the automatic spots, and thus I think can then add a domestique.
ETA: Being "unfair" I don't think is applicable in big time sports. You either make the cut or you don't. If you don't make the cut, then you leave yourself open to being left out in the cold. If you then miss out, well you miss out, sorry, just how it goes. So don't miss out, is all I can tell you.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 5, 14 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
It takes that long to contest all the races. The aquathons, junior races, U23 races, elites, AG Olympic, AG sprint spread out over the week.

Talking to USAT folks at Edmonton, usually worlds are 5 days. Edmonton at 7 was the exception but for folks wanting to do all three races, it was perfect.

They still have not figured out the schedule yet. Meaning, if the races are not 48 hours apart, you cannot do both of them. And if this were to happen, folks who thought they
could do both the sprint and Olympic are going to be upset.

I think they are trying to get the Aquathon on Weds, Sprint friday, and Olympic Sunday.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, has someone told Rham that they want to shut down streets during the week? I really don't see the city (or me) liking that idea. Sept 15-20 can be a pretty big crap shoot weather wise. Could be 80, could be 50 and raining. I was hoping it would have been earlier in September.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITU has had it's Grand Finals in cities all across the world and it never really seems to be an issue. I'm sure the city and ITU both knew what the expectations would be before accepting/proposing the site.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying the domestique failed for Lukas, or just the plan failed? B/c Eric was out of the water w/Gomez, and had to wait 4(!) minutes for Lukas. Then had to keep sitting up and spinning b/c of dropping that group. So to say that the domestique failed isn't exactly fair or accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [chris b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I'm saying it's pointless to domestique for the US to waste erlc's ability for a guy who comes out in last place. Eric did a great job that day, it's too bad he had to waste a start for that effort. Lukas is a really poor athlete to use the domestique on because his swim is so poor at that level, *right now*.

Eta: usat took a shot and I think learned more about where LV is within the sport than of the domestique role. LV has a long way to getting there. That's what we learned.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 5, 14 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I totally agree. Lukas is a very talented runner, but just not there yet to take a guy out of the very front of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Labour day weekend ;)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU 2015 schedule announced [chris b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is exciting from the GF is to see Shoemaker finish with a solid top 10. Maybe his move to a new coach and I think training area has really paid off, and he's back to being one of the best talents the US has to offer. I think for the US men, it's just going to be 2 guys going for a top 10. Whereas within the elite women's dynamics, an domestique would certainly likely help GJ because the front pack is going to want to continue to push the pace on the bike (even if she has shown she can come back from huge T2 deficits). For Hursey, thankfully trials is still 1 year out because she's too inconsistent still at the WTS level, but she's still really raw and new to this. So she's had a great final month to cap a great season and has hopefully been able to put that mid season funk out of the way.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next