Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...700974#axzz3niL0Osro

Urban amenities meet rural Midwestern charm.
Delaware, Ohio offers athletes looking for a low-key IRONMAN 70.3 the perfect mix of urban amenities and rural Midwestern charm. Its downtown shopping district, including the Delaware Commons pedestrian mall and downtown Delaware, contains an increasing number of large retail stores and restaurants.
The IRONMAN 70.3 Ohio triathlon begins with a single-loop, 1.2-mile swim in the calm waters of Delaware Lake. Athletes will then embark on a flat and fast 56-mile bike course that includes a few technical sections along the way. The course will wind through Delaware, Marion and Morrow counties before returning to Transition 2, located at Ohio Wesleyan University’s Selby Stadium. Finally, athletes will take on a double-loop, 13.1-mile run course with gently rolling hills. The course offers scenic country views and an amazing finish in front of Selby Stadium.
In many ways the quintessential American university town, Delaware, located less than 30 miles north of the capital city of Columbus, offers bookstores, a historical cinema, coffee shops, organic food stores, and many restaurants. Downtown stores meet almost any need. There are hardware stores, bookstores, a cycling shop, a candy shop, a fair trade shop, and gourmet gift shops. Delaware residents support a popular farmer's market, professional theaters, the Ballet Met, the Central Ohio Symphony Orchestra, Columbus Symphony, Opera Columbus, the Columbus Museum of Art, the Delaware Community Chorus, and many theater opportunities. The city also hosts one of the main flea markets in the area every Sunday afternoon, and is also famous for The Little Brown Jug, an internationally known horse race which is part of the Triple Crown of harness racing.
IRONMAN 70.3 Ohio will offer age-group qualifying slots for the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...o.aspx#ixzz3nkBubsqT
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, about time they came to Ohio!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if there will be a pro race?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that it ended up in Delaware. Was it because of its vicinity to a lake while avoiding Columbus suburban traffic? I wonder if any other Ohio towns were contacted by IM about making a bid.

Congrats to my home state for finally landing a long-distance WTC event. I hope the potential interest regarding this race will help other multisport events in Ohio, especially those who have been there for us for many years.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 5, 15 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Interesting that it ended up in Delaware. Was it because of its vicinity to a lake while avoiding Columbus suburban traffic? I wonder if any other Ohio towns were contacted by IM about making a bid.

Congrats to my home state for finally landing a long-distance WTC event.

Agreed Mark! Maybe a full distance next??

If there are pros I get to do a homestay!!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not going out on much of a limb here but i'd guess this will be run much better than hfp ran the challenge new albany race.

excited that they'll be what i hope to be a well run half in central ohio where i can sleep in my own bed.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea yet but sure hope so! Pro schedule posted for next year only goes thru July so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see this finally confirmed... looks like I found my fall race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you guys see the other post? The state up north is so butt hurt right now....

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turneej wrote:
you guys see the other post? The state up north is so butt hurt right now....

You realize Michigan has had an Ironman 70.3 for a number of years, right? That discussion was about a full 140.6.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
not going out on much of a limb here but i'd guess this will be run much better than hfp ran the challenge new albany race.

excited that they'll be what i hope to be a well run half in central ohio where i can sleep in my own bed.

If it is not HFP putting on the race, who is the RD?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no idea. but i've done a few hfp races and they're fine for what they are.
but if you're looking for them to really put together a race like you'd expect from a wtc or a challenge race, i'm not convinced they can do that.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [NateUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateUT wrote:

You think Aug 21 is fall?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
NateUT wrote:

You think Aug 21 is fall?

It's in the second half of my triathlon season, and I typically refer to those races as "fall" events.

bmeer wrote:
no idea. but i've done a few hfp races and they're fine for what they are.
but if you're looking for them to really put together a race like you'd expect from a wtc or a challenge race, i'm not convinced they can do that.

Pretty sure they were the race director for Challenge New Albany. I've done a few of their races, and I think they've been pretty good for mid-sized events. I do think they have contributed quite a bit to the growth of the triathlon community in Ohio.
Last edited by: NateUT: Oct 6, 15 6:04
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NateUT [ In reply to ]
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer and johnnybefit, i just returned to the great state of ohio from raleigh. i started triathlon in raleigh, where we had plenty of open water swim spots.
where do you guys swim in columbus? i know of alum creek. i live relatively close to buckeye lake, its a shame its broken. can i swim in hoover reservoir?
Last edited by: Ellsworth53T: Oct 6, 15 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [NateUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge NA wasn't the best put on event. there's a thread on here somewhere about it. i did the race and others they put on.
they do a fine job with little to mid-sized races. i just don't think they will have the quality you'd expect with a race from wtc or challenge. i think there's a reason that race in new albany lasted only one year.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't swim at hoover.
alum creek. there's a lake out by granville. you can park and walk over to the quarry at runaway bay apts--just don't park at the apts you can get towed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds awesome, and within driving distance for many in the mid Atlantic region. I'd expect it to be hot and humid.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what this does for IM-St. Louis (70.3).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was born and raised in Delaware, OH. Looking forward to going home for a race.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a brand new race course (ie it wasn't a different race that WTC bought and changed the name)? I was just looking for a bit more details on the bike and run courses and thought it it was an existing race now operating under the WTC banner, I may be able to find some old race reports to read. There is strong potential that this one will make the 2016 schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Is this a brand new race course (ie it wasn't a different race that WTC bought and changed the name)? I was just looking for a bit more details on the bike and run courses and thought it it was an existing race now operating under the WTC banner, I may be able to find some old race reports to read. There is strong potential that this one will make the 2016 schedule.

Brand new 70.3 race, but there was an existing Oly distance tri in Delaware in August that used the same swim venue and finished downtown - http://mingomantri.com/event-info/
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 6, 15 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess i will just have to wait for race day then :)

or maybe some pre-ride details from the locals.....
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 OHIO [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't checked out the bike course yet (is it posted ?) but I live and train very close and know the roads well. I will be happy to share what info I have once the course is posted. There are a few of us "locals" on here so I am sure plenty of information will be available.

One thing for sure, the bike and run course will be pancake flat. Wind will be the only thing to be concerned with since its likely mostly open farm country.

Delaware Reservoir will likely be a very nice shade of brown water. Not the clearest lake and it will be warm (not very deep).
Quote Reply

Prev Next