Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Whister...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 (pics and power files)
Quote | Reply
Edit (not sure why the picture links are not working as they show in the editor...will try to upload from another source...still working on it)

IM Whistler 2014: Not Quite a Miracle Mile

Almost 49 years ago I started the journey of life in Vancouver (right near that bridge above). I grew up with the coastal mountains literally jutting straight up from the back of our home in Burnaby and ever since I am just generally attracted to doing activity in the mountains. 25 Ironmans ago in Penticton at the old Ironman Canada, I started a journey over many courses. That was in 1991. I never thought I would be coming back this many years later to British Columbia to still race this distance, but it felt extra special ‘coming home’ to the coastal mountains for this 26th try and the distance.

To me, this race is Ironman Whistler. I can’t call it Ironman Canada because it really isn’t. Whistler has its own character and deserves its own name, not the one that was the label for the event in Penticton. Whistler is a world resort and the Ironman there probably benefits more from brand association to the resort rather than a generic “Canada” name that could be anywhere in our fine country.

Whistler summit below:

Top 5 things about Ironman in Whistler

1. The swim venue is one of the nicest in this sport. The lake Alta is beautiful and the dramatic mountains around the lake in my book makes the swim venue better than Kona

2. If you are going to take family and friends to a venue where there are a lot of options of things to do, Whistler is it. Of the places I have done ironmans, only Nice France and Kona measure up to Whistler. Whistler is like Tremblant or steroids, HGH and EPO all combined. Taking the gondola up to Whistler and the Peak to Peak cable car

3. If you like bike courses with no drafting, this one is as good as it gets. Everyone arrives in T2 having earned their bike split and get one that is proportional to their own fitness, not proportional to the fitness of the person whose wheel they latched onto. The climb up to Callaghan Valley was amazing. In the back of my mind I could not erase the pack of Olympic skiers in the Men’s 50K at the 2010 Olympics and Devon Kershaw’s ‘near miss’ 4th place. The course was taking me special. That’s the best result by a Canadian in a distance XC ski event. We were on the ‘bus’ at the hardest long distance triathlon in Canada.

4. The views are constantly stunning. You have 6000 – 8000 ft peaks all around. Especially the flats around Pemberton offer stunning views

5. The run loop weaves in and out of the village constantly offering options to view your supporters and also if you are lucky or unlucky you might get paced by a real black bear. They are numerous on the course.

35K into an ironman, I get to the point where I have a 10 K race worth of effort. Because I am going so much slower, the last 7.2K in an ironman takes me as long or longer than a 10K race. In fact, I view every race ending with a 10K effort, which then ends with a 5000m effort. Soon, it converges down to a 1 mile race and then one lap of the track to the finish line. There might not be a track there, but in my mind, I view the last 60 seconds like I am running with Roger Bannister on Iffly Road in Oxford, 1953. Every mile that we humans run, fall in the footsteps of that event. It was the Everest Summit of endurance running.
So here I was 35K into Whistler ready to suffer it out for a 10K “race effort”. An Ironman race is so long that if you look at how much you have left, you will never start. The entire day is literally broken down into the next 10 minutes, then the next, and the next. Now I was down to 4x10 minutes, but was frankly feeling beaten. I came off the bike in 5:30 and in around 8th place in my age group. I had taken the bike the easiest I had ever done an Ironman and had the strongest closing hour ever. Did it take me this long to actually figure it out? Perhaps. 5:30 off 182Watts and 2200m of climbing preceded by what I felt was a slow 68 minute swim and a lightening fast 2.5 minute transition T1 with a decent 1:40 T2 and I was out of T2 at 1:43 PM. That means the race clock said 6:43 since the cannon went off in the morning with the steam rising above the water.

The day had turned hot. Apparently it was 96F on the climb back to Whistler from Pemberton. Guys were dropping like flies. I like hot racing and was going very well. But earlier in the day, I got mentally distracted and although I was fit enough to not pay the price on the bike it would catch up with me between 17 and 30K on the run. When I arrived at transition on race morning, my rear wheel was soft and further inspection revealed a flat. A quick tube change and I was ready to go, but in the entire wild panic, I forgot to put my bottle with 800 calories and 2000 mg of sodium on my bike. As I exited T1 ready to have a strong day I went to grab my bottle and realized that I was departing the bike with zero calories and zero sodium. Now I had to replace that intake with on course nutrition from aid station. Possible, but that is like putting low octane fuel in a racing machine . However, I train for this possibility, and I tell my athletes to, and as much math as I did trying to replace with Perform drink and gels and chews, I think I never quite closed the gap on sodium intake and was low on calories.

Nutrition is the 4th sport in triathlon. Like a formula 1 pilot, you can have the best power plant and chassis, but if the pilot overdoes it, and does not manage his gas mileage and top it up, the machine may run out of steam.
Somewhere between 17-30K I let my calories get too concentrated with too much gel, to make up for some low calories on the bike. With the heat, I was low on sodium intake too, even though I was taking some salt tabs. Early in loop 2, I had to make a decision….my stomach felt like I had eaten turkey dinner and trying to run while digesting turkey dinner was not working that well. I needed my heart rate to come down for a chance for these calories absorb, enter my blood stream and kick in. I am not sure how long it took, but I had around 6 people in my age group pass me during this time. This was the least of my concerns. My brain had flipped from racing to survival.

My mind went from racing for position to simply guiding the machine safely without breaking down. It was no longer in formula 1 mode. It was more like a broken chevy well past its warranty expiration. At this point and I was just concerned about righting it through the 2000 feet on that crazy tough run course and get back from a shuffle to a jog. Finally after going to the “pit” which is a never ending downhill to the turnaround near 32K I met up with a fellow athlete who raced IM Switzerland in 2011. At that race I came home in an ambulance not through the finish line. I was on loop 2 being hard on myself, he was on loop 1. He said, “Is it Dev”, to which I replied, “Yes”. “Its CJ, we were going to meet up at IM Switzerland, but this time, I did not want to reach out before race day in fear of jinxing you. Glad to see you are back racing”.

…and in an instant, my mental state changed. Ironman is a race of ups and downs and many emotions. 3 years of daily physio and rehab later, my neck is still sore , and I rarely escape headaches. Running was a strength. Now everyone passes me on the run. I can’t hold my head in an aero position so I make do with what I can. Some days, I can’t swivel my neck to breath while swimming in a wetsuit (no wetsuit swimming is fine). I really wish I could run like in the past, but no point lamenting the gap between what I used to do and what I can do. The better gap to look at is the one between not running at all and running ‘slow’ today. CJ was right, it was great to have a version of myself back, racing in the mountains of British Columbia.

…and now I was 40 or so minutes of 10K effort away from the finish line. It did not matter who had passed and where I was in my age group. The mountains gave me energy. 10:30 had slipped away as has 10:40 and soon the clock ticked over 10:50 and I was back through the amazing village of Whistler and a high five to my son Brandon and wife Roxanne and that final 60 seconds with the ghost of Roger Bannister keeping me company. In 1954, at the Empire Games in Vancouver, Bannister and the Australian Landy ran the “Miracle Mile”. It was the first time that two men ran sub 4. Bannister out leaned Landy with a better finishing kick. I have watched this video a 100 times (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_NzZP_LK0). You don’t need to be that fast, and our events may be different, but we’re still racers at heart.

So there I was with 60 seconds left. Certainly not 400m away. More like 200m away at my pace. It’s not Iffly Road in Oxford, and it’s not the Vancouver Empire games either, but every race ends with a 60 second loop of a virtual track. And that brought me to the finish line of Ironman number 26 in Whistler on July 27th. In the end I was 15th in my age and 128th overall at 10:54
Like any thing that is hard, you cross the line, and the body turns off.

Earlier in the week I was asking a local in Whistler what routes you can take to run to the top of the mountain. She said, “why would you do that, if there is a lift?”. To which I replied, ‘Why would you use a lift to get up a mountain?”. Some of us are just wired differently than normal humans and maybe that is why I like Ironman week. Suddenly there are 2000 people who are abnormal in day to day life, but on this week, we’re the “normal”.

The body only does, what the brain tells it to do. At that moment I crossed the line, my brain said that Ironman Whistler was the hardest thing I ever did physically. By the next day, I was already thinking, “We do them because it is hard. This might be a special thing to do when I race 50-54 next year. Come back home to the coastal mountains and cover this course again. If I want easy I can sit on the couch, but that option was available when I came back in the ambulance in 2011. I can have easy whenever I want, but I can’t have hard unless I challenge myself”….and the feeling after doing something truly hard is so much more satisfying.

Whistler took my legs, squeezed out every ounce of energy I had, tested every bit of my will and almost defeated me. Almost. I just hung on for a draw of sorts. While I didn’t let the course defeat me, it wasn’t a win either. Maybe it was like Argentina and Holland going to extra time and then penalty kicks. Whistler defeated me on penalty kicks. I played a full game that ended in a draw. So on second thought, Whistler won like Argentina. It did defeat me on penalty kicks, but I ended finishing the thing with some semblance of pride. I’d like to come back and beat it in regulation time. I don’t want a moral victory, I want real victory where I beat the course. At the ironman distance, course beat us more often than we beat the course. I’ve beaten the course in Placid, in Nice, in Kona. Tremblant and Whistler are still up on me.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 5, 14 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice report Dev, it has put Whistler to the top of my very untidy 2015 list!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report! Some of the pictures still don't show, but the ones that have are wonderful.

As a first timer who had a pretty rough and demoralizing run, I'm taking a lot of solace from reading race reports from multiple time Ironman vets like yourself who also seem to have been gutting it out on what was ultimately a very difficult, but rewarding day.

Congrats on #26!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice RR Dev and congratulations on an other IM finish. I also started life on the BC mountains and that combined with your positive review of the race have definitely led me to add this race to my to do list. Good luck in Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Great report! Some of the pictures still don't show, but the ones that have are wonderful.

As a first timer who had a pretty rough and demoralizing run, I'm taking a lot of solace from reading race reports from multiple time Ironman vets like yourself who also seem to have been gutting it out on what was ultimately a very difficult, but rewarding day.

Congrats on #26!

Yes, I felt that I easily had the training to comfortably do 3:50-3:55. The day really crept on me/us in a very deceptive way. At IM Texas, right from the get go, I was in hydration management/sodium management mode. Same deal when I race St. Croix or the odd time at Kona. At Whistler, I started the morning in toque-jacket and gloves before the swim at 8C ambiant temp and was lightly chilled early until the Callaghan climb. I remember riding the flats in Pemberton and passing a guy in a black top and arm warmers and said, 'dude, why are you dehydrating yourself'.

One more thing and this gets overlooked on ST for climbing courses

Everyone of us were wearing aero helmets. That's fine in Hawaii when you are riding at 30-50 kph with wind blowing through your tiny vents...just enough air flow. I remember IM France in 2010 getting terribly dehydrated on the 20K climb riding barely at 12-15 kph in close to 100F with no air flow. Coming back from Pemberton was the same....10 kph, zero airflow through the helmets and cooking. There is a reason Tour de France cyclists hated riding with helmets on uphill finishes...it is basically like doing an FTP ride on the trainer without a fan. Climbing back from Pemberton I sat on 80-85% FTP and was trying to manage both pacing and hydration and was definitely digging a hydration hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report Dev. Congrats

BTW: It was nice getting to meet you at the bike drop off Sat.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's still a solid showing, good work!

Love the pics. Haven't done an IM yet, but that would be my most likely candidate based on the locale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to meet you out there, Dev. The funniest part about the day is that, going out to Callahan, you yelled to me as you passed me that there was at 47 YO woman with great legs about a minute behind me. Sure enough, there was this tall woman who passed me and was 8 minutes or so ahead of me turning around at Pemberton. When I got off the bike, I was hunting down a tall, blond woman dressed in an orange kit. Found out about 10k into the run that the woman was actually a man with curly long hair. Congrats on your race! Whistler is certainly a special place

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I think about Whistler, the more I think an Evade would be the helmet of choice over something like the P09. Yes you are going to lose a little on the flats, but with the amount of long slow climbs, having the extra ventilation would be a blessing.

Well, there is always next year... (Don't tell my wife I said that).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
The more I think about Whistler, the more I think an Evade would be the helmet of choice over something like the P09. Yes you are going to lose a little on the flats, but with the amount of long slow climbs, having the extra ventilation would be a blessing.

Well, there is always next year... (Don't tell my wife I said that).

I used a LG Chrono (circa 2007) which is my go to helmet for hot weather races or climbing ones. Even that gets hot on climbs. I have an Evade on order.

CPTChaos...yes, Lanza+Nice+Whistler+Tahoe...I think you need to do all 4 in one year :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
Great to meet you out there, Dev. The funniest part about the day is that, going out to Callahan, you yelled to me as you passed me that there was at 47 YO woman with great legs about a minute behind me. Sure enough, there was this tall woman who passed me and was 8 minutes or so ahead of me turning around at Pemberton. When I got off the bike, I was hunting down a tall, blond woman dressed in an orange kit. Found out about 10k into the run that the woman was actually a man with curly long hair. Congrats on your race! Whistler is certainly a special place

Thanks for the encouragement when you passed me on the run. That was just around the point that I finally was getting my stomach settled and going from a death shuffle to a glorified jog (felt like an all out 10K but speed was no where close). Well done a fantastic Kona qual.

I should restate my report.....16th in 45-49. Congrats on your win in F45-49. i want to be like you at my next race (well, not the age group win which would never happen, but perhaps your run legs would be nice to have).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ironman Canada" does seem like a strange name now that it's not in Penticton and not the only IM race in Canada.

The pictures are beautiful and it sounds like, like.. well like an IM. Love the soccer analogy very fitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Lanza - Nice - Whistler - Kona sounds better, no? :)

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun to read. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Though did you really need to tell everyone that you lapped me (kidding)?

I'm glad I could help. I can still see you being loaded into the ambulance in Switzerland...though I didn't know it was you at the time. Your journey back is testament to the human spirit and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Last edited by: cjbruin: Aug 1, 14 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey dev

congrats! how does whistler compare to IMMT? specifically the climbing on the bike. I'm a poor rider (6:15 bike at IMMT)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJ...sorry about that. I meant it in a good way. I was feeling hard on myself and I was on my way to being done, and yet a peer on his first lap went out of his way to help me and cheer me up. The speed of the athlete is irrelevant, it is the quality of the gentlemen that we meet through this sport that is touching. Seriously, thanks. As you see, I did not mention anyone in my report. Not my good training partners or others in my life, or anyone else on race day other than the cheers from my wife and son. What you said meant a boatload, and I sincerely appreciate you taking time from your day to push me along.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
hey dev

congrats! how does whistler compare to IMMT? specifically the climbing on the bike. I'm a poor rider (6:15 bike at IMMT)

I will post a few power files shortly showing Tremblant, Placid, Kona, Whistler and Texas. Whistler is only 10% more climbing than Tremblant (2200m vs 2000m). The "problem" is how the climbing comes at you in Whistler. It is more continuous and even though the steepest parts are less steep than Tremblant, the steep 10% sections in Whistler go on for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, man. Yeah, I was seriously kidding and I appreciate the mention. I had a very tough day on Sunday and I was just happy to get across the line. Always good to see a friendly face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for posting a heartfelt and wonderfully descriptive race report without being heavy on all of the numbers! In the end, knowing how to problem solve to get the job done matters greatly, well done. I also made last minute changes in nutrition too quickly to be ingrained in my early morning memory a couple of weeks ago, but knew to wait for body to absorb the excess, recalculate. Patience and pacing paid off, first time placing in a HIM. I look forward to next year up there! Fantastic pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, Dev! Stunning photos really made the report. I'm sorry I laughed out loud about the trying-to-digest-turkey-dinner part :) way to work with what the day (ourselves being part of the day!) gave you.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev,

Thanks for posting your RR. I always look forward to your report which is, as always, a good read with great pictures. Maybe I should pull my finger out and write up my RR from IMFF. It sounds like you are doing the Whistler / IMMT double again, so good luck with IMMT. " May the legs be with you!"

Will
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [TriAya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriAya wrote:
Congratulations, Dev! Stunning photos really made the report. I'm sorry I laughed out loud about the trying-to-digest-turkey-dinner part :) way to work with what the day (ourselves being part of the day!) gave you.

TriAya, whenever an athlete comes to me and says, "I got sick on the bike or run and could not digest', I reply with, "Yeah, of course you got sick. I'd get sick too if just ate turkey dinner and had to run 8 min miles. Anyone can digest turkey dinner sitting down, but hard to do while running"....and that in a nutshell is the problem....if there are too many calories, too concentrated and the pace is too high, there are only two options...throw up, or slow down and hope to absorb. I can't say how much i absorbed, but I managed to hold it together to some degree. But it is always our fault when the calories get too concentrated. Too many calories, not enough liquid, too high pace and you're toast. I raced the Canadian Olympic distance tri championships the weekend before Whistler, and after the race, I said, "this is awesome....sleep in, swim hard, bike hard, one bottle of liquid, run hard and done before lunch. No need to worry about nutrition!!!". But I think that is why we/I keep coming back to the Ironman, because it is close to impossible to hit the perfect race. Are you doing IM Japan again?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Hi Dev,

Thanks for posting your RR. I always look forward to your report which is, as always, a good read with great pictures. Maybe I should pull my finger out and write up my RR from IMFF. It sounds like you are doing the Whistler / IMMT double again, so good luck with IMMT. " May the legs be with you!"

Will

Will, yes please write up your story from Frankfurt. I'd like to do that at some point in my life as I have already done Roth. Frankfurt is actually easier for me to do from Ottawa as it is a direct flight from Ottawa that is 2 hours longer than Vancouver (our country really is that wide), but no rental car to get to Whistler. Or maybe stay in Europe and do a Frankfurt + Alpe d'Huez double.

As for the pictures, they are from my blackberry Q10 (the one with the keyboard). I keep using that device because the user interface for typing is good and i have to write up some faily long communication to customers while on the fly in transit. However, the camera quality is not really good. I had a good subject matter to work with in Whistler, and wanted to convey the venue to anyone reading my report.

For folks living overseas, it is a fantastic destination event (or even for Canadians and Americans). Great Britain was the third most represented country at Whistler. Japan was 4th. My hotel was Japan central. I felt I was in Osaka. I was hoping to see more Aussies, as every restaurant, grocery store and chair lift and hotel reception is run by young Aussie skiers. Whistler is like a home mountain for them as they don't really have a home mountain of that caliber back home. Although it is ski season in Australia (at least where they have snow), it seems most of these young guys and girls stayed back to work the summer in Whistler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Are you doing IM Japan again?

Razor-edge memory you have! Nah, I've learned to choose cheaper and closer IM fiascos so I'm in for IM Malaysia late September ;) I gotta hand it to the IMJ organizers, though, they really took care of me after the race and there were a LOT of casualties in the med tent (so I heard) and definitely at the hospital (what I saw). I got fully reimbursed for my medical expenses which I neither asked for nor expected and they made sure all my personal belongings got back to me too.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't go back onto the same bike course. I love climbing but the constant 90-degree corners and hairpins on the descents (the course looks like a sawtooth pattern and it is) aren't my cup of tea. It's the only time I've seen athletes walking their bikes DOWNhill.

Have a blast at MT!

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whister Race Report...beaten by the course 10:54 15th M45-49 [TriAya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriAya wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Are you doing IM Japan again?

Razor-edge memory you have! Nah, I've learned to choose cheaper and closer IM fiascos so I'm in for IM Malaysia late September ;) I gotta hand it to the IMJ organizers, though, they really took care of me after the race and there were a LOT of casualties in the med tent (so I heard) and definitely at the hospital (what I saw). I got fully reimbursed for my medical expenses which I neither asked for nor expected and they made sure all my personal belongings got back to me too.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't go back onto the same bike course. I love climbing but the constant 90-degree corners and hairpins on the descents (the course looks like a sawtooth pattern and it is) aren't my cup of tea. It's the only time I've seen athletes walking their bikes DOWNhill.

Have a blast at MT!

What is the weather like in Sep at IM Malaysia...i assume the same as the other 11 months per year...hot, and 100% humidity and when you thought they can't pack in any more water in the air, they pump some more in, just in case you're remotely dry after taking your last shower. Good luck, and looking forward to a more successful report. I have been wanting to do an Asian IM for some time, but not managed to get my act together. I am eyeing the new IM Taiwan in Kenting Taiwan

Looks absolutely stunning and April in Taiwan is not totally oppressive although training for an April full IM means getting there straight off the trainer. I've done dumber things in my life though.

Quote Reply

Prev Next