Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd
Quote | Reply
It won't be extremely long, but it won't be short either...

Background:
This is my 4th year in triathlon. So far, I have completed 5 * 70.3's (2 local races, IM70.3 St-Croix, IM70.3 Luxembourg and IM70.3 Wiesbaden). I started this year with 2 local sprint-races, IM 70.3 Luxemburg, another local Oly--race, IM 70.3 Wiesbaden and then build up to IM Wales. I came into this race with only 1 real expectation: reach the finish-line in a respectable way and time. Anything under 11hr was going to be considered a huge success given the course difficulty, I think it was a good enough challenge.

Equipment:
Wetsuit: 2XU V:2
Bike : Cervelo P3 (previous model), zipp FC-CC 808 Wheelset with GP4000SII-23c tires and latex tubes. O.Symmetric chain-rings (52-38) and SRAM 12-28 cassette. Perfect gearing for this course for my ability.
Run: Newton Motion III

Pre-race stuff:
I guess it is normal to be nervous / anxious for your first IM, and although I felt calm and relaxed, I noticed by the little things I was getting more nervous (returning 3 times for silly stuff likes keys etc.. , forgetting stuff being pre-occupied , ....). For us, Wales is a 8hr drive and a train under the English channel. My wife and I left on Thursday evening after work and drove until just past London (close to midnight) and leave again in the morning to arrive in Wales by noon. The hotel (booked via Nirvana) would not let us into the room (although all rooms where ready and cleaned) until the clock showed 15:00 sharp. A bit frustrating, but whilst waiting I got the registration stuff and some grocery-shopping done. Shortly thereafter, we where unpacking changed in to our running-gear and headed out for a run on the run-course. The map provided was very high-level and we ended-up running something similar like the course but actually never ran anything of the course itself. Due to the historical nature of the surroundings, there are no markings anywhere until raceday. The same goes for the bike-leg. Unless you use a GPS that allows turn-by-turn navigation, riding the course pre-race is not going to be without errors. In the evening we went to the pasta-party and there was plenty of finely prepared pasta (choice of vegetarian and beef), plenty of drinks and some proper deserts to be had. I did not hold back and went for the "as-much-I-can-eat" approach.

I came in well trained (2 weeks before my taper week I had +20hrs/week and I tapered well). I spoke to my coach regarding the nutrition-plan since the weather was not going to be typical Welch-like and we opted to remain it as foreseen, only a switch to a Isotone drink a bit sooner then originally foreseen.

Saturday morning and time for practice swim. The swim-course is a 2 lap (australian-exit) triangle shape swim with the first and 2nd buoy approx 150-200mtr off-shore and the "pointy-end of the triangle" forming the exit and re-entry. Due to the a-typical wind-direction, the bay was completely exposed to the swell and wind. This made for a very interesting swim-session. I am very happy I did swim a full lap since the sea-state was going to be same or worse come race-day due to the stronger winds forecasted on race-morning. After the swim-lap, quickly perform a few practice starts and that was the end of swim-practice. Loads of kind and welcoming people around. Either just looking and being in awe or participating in the swim. It made me feel welcome and gave me a relaxed feeling taking the edge off the pre-race nervousness. In the afternoon, I went for a short bike (20km) just to loosen up the legs and check if everything on the bike was working as supposed to. At 14:45 register at bike check-in and by 14:50 I was out. Walk-in, check, move-on. I never triple-check or go back after hanging the bags. It makes me more nervous and you start wondering, what-if, if-this, then what.... Make sure you get it done right the first time then leave. If you are sure, you're sure, no need to over-think and over-check. I can't tell how many times I see people look around, walk around, see something they might do different, change it on their bike. Most of the time they end-up with a setup they did not train nor prepare for and are in a situation that is worse then what they started with.

Race-Day Morning:
Not too much good sleep. I woke up around 3AM and couldn't get back to sleep since I was afraid I would not hear the alarm. I stayed in bed and got some rest and finally allowed myself out of bed by 4:20. The hotel had a early-morning breakfast setup which I found a bit strange as it was all dark-bread and food with loads of fibers. Most people ate loads of porridge/oatmeal which is full of fibers. At least for me, when I eat that amount of fibers for a race, I'll spend half the day on the toilet. I stuck to a bit of scrambled egg's, loads of white-bread toast covered with jam and thin slices of banana. For race-nutrition on the bike, I made 6 small toasts and packed them that so I could easily eat them on the bike. Delicious to eat compared to a energy-gel, it gives you a good full feeling (like you actually ate something) and supposedly it's highly nutricious. Do the normal stuff, walk to transition and make sure I bring a spare set of running-shoe's and the purple bag. You need it since the swim-exit is across-town. So you get out of the water, run up a hill, look for your numbered bag, get wetsuit off, shoe's on and run close to 3/4 mile to transition, where you can get changed for the bike-ride. It makes for a very long transition-time (mine was approx. 8min).

Swim-Start:
7AM sharp after a very short warm-up swim, I toe'd the line and placed myself at the front and left-side of the course. Horn goes, off we are. I try to keep a bit higher pace in the beginning just to break the surf and the worst fights, but not before long it became clear that race-day swim was a lot harder then practice-day. Calm-down, think like a fish and try to float, not fight. The on-shore winds and swell made the waves bounce back and you get reverse currents and standing, near-vertical 2-3ft waves. The first lap I managed at average pace of 1:30/100, the 2nd lap I was down to 1:50/100 due to the tide coming up and a much larger part of the course being affected by the standing waves. 1hr04 swim-time, damn, slower then I had hoped. Run up the hill, drop the suit, put sandy feet bare in running shoe's and go. The run up the hill and through the old town of Tenby and the amount of spectators at that time in the morning was incredible. They all packed some decent lungs and vocal-chords since the support was loud, but it is the best post-swim warm-up and adrenaline-shot you can hope for. Into the tent, change gear and out on the bike. After lap 1 I was ranked 46th, at the end of the swim, I was down to 70th (one guy kicked of my goggles during our 2nd turn at buoy 1).

Bike-Course:
The bike-course is never-ending undulating. It goes up-and-down with almost zero-possibility to cary any speed from a downhill into a uphill. I stuck to the drinking plan of 1 bottle of Carb-drink untill first station and 1 bottle of water with the PowerBar Salt tablets (seat). Also the "eating-plan" went fine, 1 toast with jam and banana every 35km (in between service-station) and 1 piece of banana at a service-station. I witnessed very little drafting apart from the beginning of the turning-point in lap 1 (Lap 1 was close to 68miles, lap 2 close to 45 or something). 2 Brits passed me very clearly riding wheel-to-wheel in the head-on section of the course, shortly thereafter, I noticed 4-5 guys behind me. Luckily a motor-bike official just came buy and gave everyone a warning to break-up. All, bar one, did and where never seen again. The one that chose to not choose right, was doused by a good shot of iso-drink by me when he was sticking a few inches from my back-wheel. I never sam him again after that. At the end of the bike-laps there are 2 hills that are something like 14-16% and the locals cheer you on and make you feel like riding up Alpe d'Huez in the tour. Very special indeed, crowded and loud. Overall, I don't think I spent more then 60sec's in the same gear. If you have electronic shifters, remember to charge-up properly before entering this race. Descent bike-handling help a lot here since the many but short downhills often in small roads with broken tarmac and little run-off if you get it right will give you a good benefit over your fellow-competitor, get it wrong and that could be the end of your race. I noticed one guy walking with a broken front-wheel, broken fork and some bruises. I hope he recovers quickly. A good 5min before T2, I took a gel and some a few good shots of water and ride into transition after 5hr50. At the end of the bike, I was ranked 46th.

Run-Course:
You start running flat for 300-500 mtr, then it goes steep downhill steep followed instantly by a steep uphill. 1,6km into the run, the gradient becomes more manageable, but still going up. I run at 4:25/km in training on the flat, but I was running at 05:10 - 05:15/km on the uphill and at 04:10 downhill. You reach a turning-point and timing mat after 4,5km, decent a bit and it goes back up to reach another turning-point and timing map and you also get your armbands for your laps. You descend further down for 1km and go back up into town. This is where it gets interesting, you run on tarmac, cobblestones, soft-uphills, 7 or 8 short 90° turns, steep downhills (I tried to run like a gazelle here, I was running over 03:00min/km downhill and fell back to normal pace as soon as it flattened out). You do these laps 4 times. Due the the 2 * 180° turning-points at the timing mats, you get a reasonable idea of where you are relative to you competition which helps with the mental/tactical aspect. I took a gel every 25-30min just before reaching a feed-staton, take 1 cup of water to drink and 1 cup of water to spray a bit on my head to cool down. The other feed-stations I took a water and coke to mix and a bit of water on the head again to keep the body-temperature in check. During the race, I tossled position with a Brit (sorry, can't remember your name), and we agreed upon the one that reaches the line first buying the other beer. That's is a good identifier of the spirit there, really nice and it gave me goosebumps. With around 700mtr to go, in the last section in town, I noticed a local pro 150mtr front of me, celebrating with the flag and everything. I gave my all, sprinted like hell and caught him 100mtr before the finish line just at the start of the red-carpet. I screamed loud and proud when crossing my first-ever IM finish line. I waited for my beer-mate to buy him the promised beer or make an arrangement to drink together, but he collapsed shortly after crossing the line and was taking to the medical tent for care. I know your name (finish-results - I still owe you that promised beer and I hope you have recovered well by now !)

The mayor gave me my finisher-medal and my wife was right there as well. PERFECT !!! She informed me I came in 35th/2085 overall and 6th/420 in my AG. Since there where at least 7 slots, I knew I was going to the BIG Island !!!! Way better then I ever hoped for and so much better then I could dream. On top of that, according to Ironman.com, I'm now AWA GOLD !!!

Ever since, I have been receiving congratulations from everyone around and family via the mobile and Facebook. Suddenly, everyone wants to carry my luggage in Hawaï... No one offered it for Wales. What can I say, I am more excited then ever before and so is everyone around me.

The commentator at the awards-ceremony was happy to announce that especially for this year, after having sorted out the uphill bike and the uphill run, they finally have sorted out the swim so it was uphill as well. How tough is it ? I can't tell since it was my first IM, but let me give you this little statistic from the speaker: Apparently, the average IM drop-out rate is approx 5-7%, at Wales it was 12%. Either people come here less trained, either the course really is that hard. You choose.

I can't compare since it was my first 140.6 IM, but I would say that this race is a very nice one and I really enjoyed it. The crowds are huge, very supportive (and loud at times), the course is hard but beautiful and manageable if you've trained for it.

I will not say thanks here since the people I need to thank do not read this anyway, but the appreciation and gratitude from myself towards them will be never-ending.

I hope you enjoyed reading this race-report,

GReetz,

S.

Last edited by: shamerli: Jun 1, 15 0:51
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever since, I have been receiving congratulations from everyone around and family via the mobile and Facebook. Suddenly, everyone wants to carry my luggage in Hawaï... No one offered it for Wales.What can I say, I am more excited then ever before and so is everyone around me.

I might carry your luggage for Wales in July, but Sep does not sound that fun. All kidding aside congrats and good luck in Kona. Take it the draft packs are close to non existent. Do you have aggregate elevation data from the bike and run?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shamerli wrote:

I noticed 4-5 guys behind me. Luckily a motor-bike official just came buy and gave everyone a warning to break-up. All, bar one, did and where never seen again. The one that chose to not choose right, was doused by a good shot of iso-drink by me when he was sticking a few inches from my back-wheel. I never saw him again after that.

Lol this part was great.

Congratulations on the race and KQ!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Do you have aggregate elevation data from the bike and run?

I used a Garmin ForeRunner 910 and with elevation corrections enabled, it gave me the below. If you're interested in the gpx-files, just let me know ;)

Bike-Course -> 2283mtr (seems high to me)

Run-Course -> 436mtr (seems low to me)

Last edited by: shamerli: Sep 16, 14 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shamerli wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Do you have aggregate elevation data from the bike and run?

I used a Garmin ForeRunner 910 and with elevation corrections enabled, it gave me the below. If you're interested in the gpx-files, just let me know ;)

Bike-Course -> 2283mtr (seems high to me)

Run-Course -> 436mtr (seems low to me)

I am thinking that your bike elevation gain is not low without even seeing the course. Here is why. If you ride 90K on a 3 percent grade you will accumulate 2700 m of vertical. Lets say that there are only 45K of hills, you accumulate 2700m if the hills average 6% and in 45K you accumulate over 2250m with the hills averaging 5% grade. Knowing the terrain in that part of the UK, this is entirely plausible.

On the run elevation it always "seems more" but because the total run distance is less than the bike (even though the time is more) it is hard to accumulate massive amounts of vertical while running. Horizontal distance traversed at even shallow grades is key to accumulating a ton of vertical, more so than steep hills in a short distance. So I THINK your numbers are right in the range.

As a point of reference, I have measured Tremblant around 15 times and it comes out to 2050m but most of it is shallow grades over long distance. Only 1/3 of the Tremblant vertical comes from steep stuff. Whistler has 2300m but it almost entirely comes in steep concentrated grades...not quite as hard as how you accumulate it in Nice, but almost.

I think you data is right in the range of what I would expect from that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!

Must be a tough course looking at the times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!!! Solid!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! Congrats. Lots of great feedback coming from Tenby. Dad has a caravan there and its a serious consideration.

Did 40-44 roll down at all? I ask because you said there were 7 spots and 7th was 10:42:16vs 8th 10:42:53. Talk about close!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was a roll-down slot and the guy in 8th was ecstatic to get the slot since it was that close.
It was a roll-down from M70-74 since the person was registered, but did not start, the slot was re-allocated to our group.

The 5th guy was close to 15min faster and no way I could have been that much faster. The guy in 7th in my AG was only 2-3min behind me and we cycled close to each other (we could always see each other, 50 - 200mtr apart) as of the 2nd lap. He overtook me at the end of a climb and I would regain position by the end of a descend and keep it like that untill the end of the next climb. After the first lap in running he was behind me by less then 4min ( he had a very distinctive yellow Pirate Tri-Suit, easy to spot). Right then, I had to make a short bathroom-break and I was thinking 'don't catch me, don't catch me, ....). I came out of the restroom and see him running up the hill towards me, so I was happy to see him still behind but had to start moving again and do it quickly. I kept to my pace and drink/nutrition-plan and managed to extend the lead little-by-little and in the end I made it ahead of him. It would not have mattered for the slot (he also got one), but at that time, you don't know and you don't want to risk it. It same was the same when I spotted the guy running ahead of me in the finish straight. I did not know which AG he was in, so I basically gave it everything untill the line was fully crossed. Only in the final results I noticed he was in a different AG ;)

The podium guys in M40-44 are viciously and ridiculously fast guys. Our AG winner went 6th or 7th overall. Incredible performance of the top 5 in our AG, they where racing close to each other. It was also great to see the top 2 pro's running shoulder-to-shoulder for so long, really tense battle.

GReetz,

S.
Last edited by: shamerli: Sep 16, 14 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Congrats on executing and getting the KQ on the first shot!

Could be worse, the winner of 45-49 at IMWI is an ANIMAL and was 8th overall, 1st amateur and made ALL the young pups look bad. He kills that course every damn year. The 5th place guy in 40-44 was happy he aged up, that's for sure.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think IM Wales looks like an good place to KQ. 7th in M40-44 was 10:42, 7th at Wisco was 9:56. IM Wales course is 46 mins slower than Wisconsin? I don't think so..
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then the cat is out of the bag and we all know where we need to go to in order to KQ :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
I think IM Wales looks like an good place to KQ. 7th in M40-44 was 10:42, 7th at Wisco was 9:56. IM Wales course is 46 mins slower than Wisconsin? I don't think so..

Anytime you can go over 10 hours and KQ in 30-45... could yourself very lucky. Not to take away from the accomplishment. Picking the right race to suit your strengths and hoping for a favorable field by location, time of year, etc is part of the "Game". It was played very, very well. It doesn't always work out that way.

7 slot is crazy... that's some goofy demographics, unless there were 75 slots for this event? Are women and young males afraid to do ironman races in GB? I guess all the young guys are trying to be the next ITU hero... haha.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cat is definitely out of the bag. Thank you for posting and congrats! 7th place, 10:42, KQ in M40-44 on that course (from what I can see) is pretty crazy.

My IM career is over, wish I would have known about this race a long time ago.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Head over to IMCDA, Whistler, MMT, Placid and count how many sub 10s vs. other courses. Not to mention Tahoe, Lanzarote..... Former St. George....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
7 slot is crazy... that's some goofy demographics, unless there were 75 slots for this event? Are women and young males afraid to do ironman races in GB?

That's was my first thought too. But looked it up and Ironman.com says there were only 50 slots available. Most every race I've seen with 50 slots only goes 5 or 6 in M40-44. Must have been some roll over from Age Groups with no finishers.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll play. I totally agree with motoguy128. It does all depend on who shows up. See below for the 7th place times in M40-44 for this year's races --

CDA : 10:04
Whistler: 10:21 (this is a very hard course)
MMT: 9:50
Placid: 9:20
Tahoe: no longer an IM (epic course in terms of difficulty and the weather last year, not even worth comparing, this is an outlier)
Lanzarote: 9:55 (another epic hard, course with heat and hills)

Not to mention most of these had ~5 slots for M40-44. 7 slots at IM Wales is awesome. All of the times for 7th place in M40-44 for the races listed above were faster than IM Wales and I would argue most if not all of these courses are at least equal if not tougher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
Ok, I'll play. I totally agree with motoguy128. It does all depend on who shows up. See below for the 7th place times in M40-44 for this year's races --

Tahoe: no longer an IM (epic course in terms of difficulty and the weather last year, not even worth comparing, this is an outlier)

Not to mention most of these had ~5 slots for M40-44. 7 slots at IM Wales is awesome. All of the times for 7th place in M40-44 for the races listed above were faster than IM Wales and I would argue most if not all of these courses are at least equal if not tougher.

Tahoe still has the 140.6. They just added the 70.3. Not sure how long it will stick around though, but it is still there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you wouldn't come over to Wales and say that.... :-)

I did CDA in 2011 and did Wales this year and there is no comparison. Wales is cooler which helps on the run, but that's about it.

Believe me, IM Wales is hard. Especially so this year, as the sea swim was affected by much stronger than normal winds (the swim in the Iron distance Challenge race in UK on the same day was cut to one 1.9km loop due to conditions), I reckon swim times were down by 5-10 minutes for most people - the incoming tide affected slower swimmers more, which at least meant there were big gaps on the bike.

I've done the bike course twice and the elevation gain is 2600-2700m per my Powertap. Part of what makes it a slow course is that most of the descents are on narrow twisting roads with poor road surfaces that have 90 degree turns at the moment, so there are few chances to carry momentum or really get a long session in aero bars.

The support from the town an surrounding villages is fantastic and makes it all worthwhile....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Fastest bike split in Wales was 5.03, that must be tough course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:

To compare based on 7th place is pretty irrelevant for judging course difficulty. Just look at the winners' times.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales Race-report - My first IM - 35th OA, 6th AG (M40-44), KQ'd [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was meant to be relative to KQ place/time in M40-44. I would argue that the Winner's is irrelevant on course difficulty as well. Sebastian Kienle at Frankfurt goes 7 hours 55 mins and Matt Trautman at Wales 9:07 for the win, I don't think that would be a good comparison of the two courses.. Wales is 1 hour 12 mins tougher than Frankfurt, yeah right, I think Kienle would kill it at Wales.

I know there are tons of variables here, the point was that Wales looked like a good KQ course with 10:42 getting a slot in M40-44.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay, I'll play along as well.

At Wiesbaden this year, I finished 11th in same AG and had slot for 7.3 WG in Zell am See in 2015.
Raced using identical equipment and there where top-ter pro's at the start. All times where down by 10 min's compared to last year.
I swam at an average pace of 1:28/100 and that is doing 100mtr more due to following the wrong feet at the first buoy, my own stupid mistake.
In the long downhill section (straight down, no real technique required, only daring to lean forward at that speed), I max'd out at 88km/hr due to small chainring and (52 big ring) and climbing casette (28-12) that limited my speed on the crest. I consider myself a person with above average bike-handling skills due to mtb'n background. Especially amongst triathletes, I easily overtake in downhill sections.
The run in Wiesbaden is hard as well and I ran an average 4:12/km if memory serves me well, and it was in weather that was warmer then I like.

A year earlier the same time would set me lower then 20th, this year 11th.

Point being: It is already hard to compare the same course year-over-year, let alone different courses, 5000 miles apart in different times of the year with different people...

I chose IM Wales because I can't tolerate the heat during the run and because it is relatively close. I had actually abanoned the thought to ever go to Kona for exactly that reason. I Will be going, but I am not expecting any top-results at Kona. I'm there to enjoy the experience, I will not draft and I will douse every drafter that is close enough with ISO-drink for as long as I have enough ISO drink left. After that I will resort to yelling and screaming.

I'm pretty sure the Wales organizers would be all to happy to welcome Sebastien K to the starting line should he choose to participate.

I will only go to Kona once for the experience, that's it. After next year, I'll let the spot pass me by and make some one else happy by letting it roll down...

GReetz,

S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. You KQ!! That's huge! Congrats! There is no reason to say anything, you made it. Enjoy Kona and make the most of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to take away from the performance. But anytime you KQ with a result below 4th place in 30-45, you have to count yourself a little bit lucky no matter what your time is. Times are hard to compare and really only matter on that course, on that day.

I was only 1 more bad leg cramp away from just being lucky myself.

Winner at 9:07...says something. Although I've never heard of any of the top finishers. But I'm also bit Norther America focused that way too.

Plus keep in mind, the longer the race, the longer the race. It's think it's going to be a different marathon coming off a 4h40m bike vs. a 5h30m bike... even if you pace them for the same TSS score. You simply burn less energy in one vs. the other.

Good luck on your Kona prep after a well deserved few weeks off.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply

Prev Next