Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation
Quote | Reply
This was posted on the IM Tremblant facebook page. I only stayed around to watch some age groups where friends bagged spots or were close...generally from M70+ down to 35-39, the slots either rolled 1-2 or did not roll at all. I could not stay around for the women's roll down as i had a family commitment to get to

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I forget.... do all championships get 75 slots or just a one-off for IMMT?

also, congrats on your IM!

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next year, all regional championships get 75 slots for Kona: Melbourne, Texas, Brazil, Frankfurt

I believe this year, Melbourne and Frankfurt has 100, Tremblant had 75 and there was no regional championship in South America.

Next year Tremblant is not a regional championship so will be down to 50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anywhere you can find out how far the roll down went?
In Reply To:

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One story on roll down at IMMT.

Apparently, Mike Reilly announced part way through roll down that people should stick around since there was one more re-allocated spot for M50-54. Hardly anyone heard this announcement including an acquaintance of mine (teacher at my kids' school) who had finished 14th in that AG and was heading for the exit when a pal of mine grabbed him and suggested he stick around. The spot rolled all the way to 14th and when his name was called he freaked out, ran on stage, shook Mike Reilly's hand and was probably in the process of crapping himself all at the same time. Gotta love roll down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know how far M35-39 rolled down?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or M30-34?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
35-39 rolled down two from what i recall. One of my friends was the last outright qualifier after 12 years of near misses. He was hoping for a two slot rolldown because his buddy who he barely beat by 1 minute was sitting in 9th. It rolled to 9th.

Overdistance, what happened in 50-54 was that Ian Fraser was 6th. They called his name and there were around 200 people there (most of us knew him) pressuring him to take the slot. So he got up and took it and while in line to "pay" he changed his mind, went back to Riley and Mark Roy and said, "no, been there, done that, and not interested this year". So in between other slot allocation, Riley said, 'Any of your guys, 50-54, stick around, we have another slot coming back to you guys". But he said it in passing so some may have not heard. Also, they started oldest to youngest, so if there were no slots taken in the older it was already announced where it was going (to 40-44). So good things happen to people that wait!

As a point of reference, here is something for all you guys on the bubble to think of when it comes to 75 slot races. I was 10:54 in Whistler and 10:56 in Tremblant...granted Whistler is probably a tougher course by 10-15 min....in any case, i was 128th overall at Whistler, and ~300th at Tremblant...the field really was stacked, and I believe last year when Whistler had 100 slots, it was similar.

Also for women, slot allocation for you in North America is much better compared to what I have seen in Euro races. Many Euro races barely have 1 women's slot per age group because of the relatively lower female participation numbers compared to this side of the pond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
35-39 rolled down two from what i recall. One of my friends was the last outright qualifier after 12 years of near misses. He was hoping for a two slot rolldown because his buddy who he barely beat by 1 minute was sitting in 9th. It rolled to 9th.

Overdistance, what happened in 50-54 was that Ian Fraser was 6th. They called his name and there were around 200 people there (most of us knew him) pressuring him to take the slot. So he got up and took it and while in line to "pay" he changed his mind, went back to Riley and Mark Roy and said, "no, been there, done that, and not interested this year". So in between other slot allocation, Riley said, 'Any of your guys, 50-54, stick around, we have another slot coming back to you guys". But he said it in passing so some may have not heard. Also, they started oldest to youngest, so if there were no slots taken in the older it was already announced where it was going (to 40-44). So good things happen to people that wait!

As a point of reference, here is something for all you guys on the bubble to think of when it comes to 75 slot races. I was 10:54 in Whistler and 10:56 in Tremblant...granted Whistler is probably a tougher course by 10-15 min....in any case, i was 128th overall at Whistler, and ~300th at Tremblant...the field really was stacked, and I believe last year when Whistler had 100 slots, it was similar.

Also for women, slot allocation for you in North America is much better compared to what I have seen in Euro races. Many Euro races barely have 1 women's slot per age group because of the relatively lower female participation numbers compared to this side of the pond.

M35-39 must have rolled once if it rolled to 9th. There were 8 slots and I finished 10th. Glad I didn't go to roll-down. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

If your buddies are on ST, see if you can get them to do a race report. Seeing as 5th-9th for the M35-39 were all within 1 minute of each other I'd love to hear their write-ups of what was going on throughout the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev
What did 45-49 roll down to?

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Dev,

If your buddies are on ST, see if you can get them to do a race report. Seeing as 5th-9th for the M35-39 were all within 1 minute of each other I'd love to hear their write-ups of what was going on throughout the race.

I will ask the number 7 guy if he wants to share. It's been around a dozen years of near misses for him. He may want to keep his journey personal or might want to write it up. But I will ask. I know he said that after his swim, he took 2 extra minutes to put on a full jacket to keep warm. He was glad he did not take any longer. He also said something about perhaps some aero drag, but traded that off with staying warm. He was 6th off the bike and got passed late in the game for 7th. I am not sure if he knew his position "live" while on the course, or if he was "racing blind" and just pushing his own race at his own pace. If he wanted to know where he was, there were plenty of folks to tell him his exact position at any time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Dev,

As the guy who finished 10th in M35-39, I can tell you I was passed late in the run by 2 guys in my age group. At the 23 mile mark I was 8th so it was the last 3 miles. They were moving fast too so I don't think I had much of a chance to keep up. However, knowing in the back of my mind that I wasn't taking a Kona slot may have held me back a bit those last few miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7th and 8th in M40-44 would be an interesting read as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 slots in M50-54 and it rolls to 14th? Looks like Kona will be an old fogie race. So much for it being a world championship with the fasest guys.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [coach_finstock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coach_finstock wrote:
7 slots in M50-54 and it rolls to 14th? Looks like Kona will be an old fogie race. So much for it being a world championship with the fasest guys.

Was that meant to be in pink or are you just a dick?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [uncpanamared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uncpanamared wrote:
Or M30-34?

8th
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
uncpanamared wrote:
Or M30-34?

8th

Any idea which two spots didn't claim theirs? I know a guy who was on the fence.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6th did not, but that's all I know about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coach_finstock wrote:

Ouch!

Watch out sonny boy (or girl), those old fogies - they be fast old fogies!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overdistance wrote:
One story on roll down at IMMT.

Apparently, Mike Reilly announced part way through roll down that people should stick around since there was one more re-allocated spot for M50-54. Hardly anyone heard this announcement including an acquaintance of mine (teacher at my kids' school) who had finished 14th in that AG and was heading for the exit when a pal of mine grabbed him and suggested he stick around. The spot rolled all the way to 14th and when his name was called he freaked out, ran on stage, shook Mike Reilly's hand and was probably in the process of crapping himself all at the same time. Gotta love roll down!

I know about this story all too well....I was the guy in 15th place in the M50-54 on Sunday. My heart was racing at rolldown as names kept getting called and no one replied. My swim split killed my chances. My third year racing M-T and I love this venue.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [VWH3RD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VWH3RD wrote:
Dev
What did 45-49 roll down to?

It rolled 2 slots at Tremblant in 45-49.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, correct that.

Just heard from a friend that they did call my name at roll down. So that means M35-39 must have rolled down to 11th.
Last edited by: Bob S: Aug 19, 14 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coach_finstock wrote:

It's possible that they qualified at another race and didn't need their slot here.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant Kona slot allocation [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This old fogie loves to kick the butt during the run of these younger children. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next