Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim reported 76-77 this morning (but he used a new thermometer so throw out the science).

I'm guessing I could probably get a pair of Roka Sim Shorts at the Expo?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Tim reported 76-77 this morning (but he used a new thermometer so throw out the science).

I'm guessing I could probably get a pair of Roka Sim Shorts at the Expo?

Yep, that's my source for still not wetsuit legal. Today's weather and rain should knock it down under 76.1 but the forecast for Wed-Fri is not promising to keep it there. Tim keeps saying it could go either way, but I am not seeing any weather forecast that would cool the water. Friday night is only supposed to go down to 69 degrees. I would imagine the Expo would have Roka Sim shorts, Lava pants and other equivalents but I would not buy unless the water was legal on Friday morning...then there may be a rush. :)

On the other hand, WTC may know where the secret cool spots are and take the temperature there. E.g., St Anthony's Triathlon in St Petersburg has a reputation for declaring wetsuit legal swims when everyone was convinced the water was too warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can take one for the "team" and go out and buy a swim skin this afternoon. With my luck it would definitely wind up being wetsuit legal!
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Apr 18, 17 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Year 4 or 5 for IM Texas I think and even though they've changed the date to earlier, has it usually been non-wetsuit?

Just wondering how important it is when there are somewhere between 2500-3000 swimmers (is that the usually size?)

Also, would people recommend tinted glasses for the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty clean!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Year 4 or 5 for IM Texas I think and even though they've changed the date to earlier, has it usually been non-wetsuit?

Just wondering how important it is when there are somewhere between 2500-3000 swimmers (is that the usually size?)

I think someone said it was wetsuit legal one time in the past. It is a shallow lake and can rapidly heat up and cool down so the weather really matters. For example, I would bet big bucks it will be wetsuit legal on Sunday and Monday morning after the front passes through Saturday. Sunday's weather looks spectacular...naturally!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
Maybe I can take one for the "team" and go out and buy a swim skin this afternoon. With my luck it would definitely wind up being wetsuit legal!

Yes, do it for the gipper! I am bringing a swim skin and my Roka shorts so I am ready either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why is it a Saturday race (i think the only other NA Saturday race is Maryland)? Is it too hard to close the roads on Sunday due to church?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
So why is it a Saturday race (i think the only other NA Saturday race is Maryland)? Is it too hard to close the roads on Sunday due to church?

I am not local so I have no idea. IM Florida is also a Saturday race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
hblake wrote:

and registration has closed.

Damnit! I was just about to sign up. ;-)

Sorry Bob, only online registration is closed; you can do a walk-up registration this Thursday and Friday. Per Ironman Texas page: "Walk-up registrations will be available on a first come, first served basis. Please view the Event Schedule for Athlete Check-In hours."

I signed up last week - you should too!!! Gotta love it when you can make a last minute decision to enter an IM. r/Paul

Seeing that I've swam a max of about 1500m, biked a max of two hours, and ran a max of about 75 minutes in the last six months I'm going to go with an Ironman might be a bit more than I can handle right now. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

I'd bring both tinted and clear if I were you, we've had our fair share of fog this spring, and the temp is forecast to be only one degree F over the dew point around swim start time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Not sure on the "why", but as a local who will be back at work on Monday, I'm quite glad it is this way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Saturday IM races in North America:

Texas
Santa Rosa
Maryland
Kona
Florida

My understanding is The Woodlands does not allow races on Sundays. There's a lot of races hosted in The Woodlands and all of them are on Saturdays.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canada 70.3 is coming faster than you know...better get with the program!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Canada 70.3 is coming faster than you know...better get with the program!! :)

Yeah, bailing on that one too. I was mainly going because my brother was doing the full. He's is now moving and going back to school for another degree and can't do Whistler. So I figured I'd save the $6,000 the vacation would've cost me.

Thinking about signing up for the Maine 70.3 and going solo and doing a quick in/out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Not sure on the "why", but as a local who will be back at work on Monday, I'm quite glad it is this way!

I also prefer the Saturday race as it really only affects one week of holiday/vacation/work time. Even as someone travelling from Canada, we can be back to work on Monday. To bad Maryland is the on our Thanksgiving weekend because that would have worked well for a fall IM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My understanding is The Woodlands does not allow races on Sundays. There's a lot of races hosted in The Woodlands and all of them are on Saturdays.

I'm not sure if it's a formal policy but I think there's at least an informal understanding between the township and the Interfaith of The Woodlands for no Sunday events, i.e. "the church rule."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I forgot to mention is that although flooding is highly unlikely there's a chance there will be some standing water in a few spots on the run course on the pathway along Woodlands Parkway. Even the tiniest amount of rain creates 2-3 puddles you'll have to run through along this section.

Also, just ran the most of the course and the transition area should be mostly done today. The fencing is almost complete and they are building the bike racks now. The change tents went up yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be advised that the short, steep, grassy hill where the run course leaves the Waterway is no longer grass. It's been graded recently and is now a slick hill of mud from the recent rains.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [E.VanFlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E.VanFlo wrote:
Be advised that the short, steep, grassy hill where the run course leaves the Waterway is no longer grass. It's been graded recently and is now a slick hill of mud from the recent rains.

That will be festive.

Just got back from check-in, good and humid with today's rains. Bit the bullet and picked up a swimskin since Roka has a slight discount going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much would a swimskin cost? Never used one. I only use my DeSoto tri-shorts and my tight fitting beef tri-top :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hinke wrote:
How much would a swimskin cost? Never used one. I only use my DeSoto tri-shorts and my tight fitting beef tri-top :)

Roka had a 20% off deal on all their swimskins (not a killer deal, but still cheaper than buying online and paying overnight shipping so I can actually try it before the race), think it was about $125 OTD for the Viper Comp I got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Not bad, but I've spent enough money already :)

Will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering where to park for the packet pickup tomorrow? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's ample street parking in the few blocks around the expo area. There's also a parking garage across the waterway (fees apply). Worst case scenario is to park at the movie theater or mall and walk over - still just a few blocks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next