Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the race officials measure right at the surface like that? Not even a couple inches deep?

Thanks for taking the temperatures and posting them here!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 14, 17 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The temperature is taken when the swim course guys first get on the course on the morning of the race. It's usually around 4-4:30am. It's pitch black, they've already been working hard days since Wednesday to get the course ready and there are typically still a lot of other things that need to get done. And the pressure of 2500+ athletes about go into the water that they will be responsible for their safety. Taking the water temp isn't a very complicated or involved process. There's a fish finder on one of the zodiacs too that can get the temp.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any recommendations for

an outdoor lap pool to use
for a few swims during race week in or near The Woodlands?

bike route to get in about 40km riding as safely as possible that
I could load into a garmin course in or near The Woodlands?
(20km out and back would be great)

Thanks!
Last edited by: TravelingTri: Apr 14, 17 21:18
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim (SnappingT) can hook you up for some outdoor swims although they'll likely be at 6am or noon during his workouts. There aren't really any around that you can drop into when you feel like it. You might be able to get a day pass at Villa Sport and use one of their pools. I can't recall though if you have to have a member with you or not. Last time I needed one (probably 3 years ago) a pass was around $20 per visit.

As far as routes go you can take Lake Woodlands Drive out about 4 miles to the point where it connects with the old route at Woodlands Parkway. From there continue on the old route to FM2978 (turn right) and go until you want turn around. There are others as well but that's about the simplest to follow if you're not from the area.

By all means though, do not, DO NOT, get on Woodlands Parkway from the start/finish area. It is a very high speed road and there's absolutely no shoulder and a curb for the first 4'ish miles and is very dangerous on a bike. Yet every year many idiotic triathletes feel like they have to go that way because "it's the course" and cause all kinds of issues with locals. Take Lake Woodlands Drive as I noted. They run parallel a few blocks apart and it's much much safer.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Tim (SnappingT) can hook you up for some outdoor swims although they'll likely be at 6am or noon during his workouts. There aren't really any around that you can drop into when you feel like it. You might be able to get a day pass at Villa Sport and use one of their pools. I can't recall though if you have to have a member with you or not. Last time I needed one (probably 3 years ago) a pass was around $20 per visit.

As far as routes go you can take Lake Woodlands Drive out about 4 miles to the point where it connects with the old route at Woodlands Parkway. From there continue on the old route to FM2978 (turn right) and go until you want turn around. There are others as well but that's about the simplest to follow if you're not from the area.

By all means though, do not, DO NOT, get on Woodlands Parkway from the start/finish area. It is a very high speed road and there's absolutely no shoulder and a curb for the first 4'ish miles and is very dangerous on a bike. Yet every year many idiotic triathletes feel like they have to go that way because "it's the course" and cause all kinds of issues with locals. Take Lake Woodlands Drive as I noted. They run parallel a few blocks apart and it's much much safer.
Great info, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good day! Hope everyone is getting excited for IMTX. I am reviewing the run course posted out on the website and do not see the special needs marked. I remember watching a video in which the special needs is located at North Shore park. Is this still the case?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [jkenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is this still the case?

Yes
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [jkenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For the run yes, North Shore Park. You run through the park three times. My understanding is once you have accessed your special needs you can not access it again.

Meaning if you use it one lap one, you can not use it on lap 2 and 3. It may have changed since I last did this race in 2014.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think We are gonna get wet.... Anyone have and water temp Info? Good Luck to all:)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically you only get access once. The reason being is once you access it and then give it back to a volunteer it goes into a large random pile of bags.

In reality you might get lucky and be able to "find" your bag a second time. I wouldn't count on it though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [StevenTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StevenTris wrote:
I think We are gonna get wet.... Anyone have and water temp Info? Good Luck to all:)

Still way too early to trust any weather predictions. We usually don't start firming up ride plans based on weekend weather until midday on Thursdays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL seriously? Gotta Love me some TX.... It is going to be an awesome time regardless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing's for sure is it should be better than the crazy storms that came through during the run last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those storms were awesome and saved my ass. Hr dropped like a rock when the rain cooled me off!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly the info I needed, thanks a bunch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike course up on BBS anyone know?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on there
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep just found it! Oh boy time to plug in some info see what comes out!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:45?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
I'll be taking it every day from now until race. I took it twice today to show everyone how much it can fluctuate from morning to afternoon. The team practice right around the corner from Northshore park so it's easy for me to do after coaching in the morning and afternoon. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/magnoliamasters

Tim

Looking like a warm week ahead, yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Sunday looks outstanding, naturally.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had a closer look at some of the course maps and having a hard time understanding the Run Map with all the U-turns in and around the finish line. On the map it looks like there is a U-turn after the finish line, but in the turn by turn directions it seems to indicate something else. Anybody have some insight? Will definitely have to go to the Athlete meeting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Just had a closer look at some of the course maps and having a hard time understanding the Run Map with all the U-turns in and around the finish line. On the map it looks like there is a U-turn after the finish line, but in the turn by turn directions it seems to indicate something else. Anybody have some insight? Will definitely have to go to the Athlete meeting.

There's a u-turn right before the finish line. You will do the u-turn and the finish line will be like 200 feet away.

So the finishing segment is west on Waterway Square Place, turn right (north) on Waterway Avenue, u-turn right before you hit Lake Robbins Drive (there's a big movie theater you'll be facing before the u-turn), then run south down Waterway Avenue to the finish.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 17, 17 4:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yep. Sunday looks outstanding, naturally.

At least they've knocked down the forecasted rainfall amounts, if not so much the chances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything is gated in that point, don't worry about it, you will not go the wrong way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next