Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd plan on up to 30 deg C and 40-70% humidity throughout the day. It's a warm spring here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prepare your anus
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - it's been a hotter than normal winter and is looking like spring will follow suit. I've been working outside the last week or so and 85 degree days are the norm. I recommend biking and running inside without air conditioning to get yourself ready. Oh - and it's going to be windy up on the Toll road, and no shade, so welcome to Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the typical winds in terms of direction to expect on the toll road section of the bike course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
April is probably our windiest month. I'd bet on a strong southeast wind on race day which will mean a headwind on the way out and a tailwind for the return leg.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
What are the typical winds in terms of direction to expect on the toll road section of the bike course?

Winds are predominantly SSE, 10-12ish mph around this time. This is almost the exact heading of the Hardy, so if the trends hold it'll be a pure upwind/downwind event once you get to the toll road.

Last edited by: FlyingScot: Mar 28, 17 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one has mentioned water temp yet (i think) so I will mention it now......anyone know the current water temp? With all of this warmer weather, does this mean it will most likely be a non-wetsuit race?

And I know.....you can't control the weather, you can't control the race, be prepared for anything, blah, blah, blah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to have a tailwind on that final leg up and home... fingers crossed. Tks for the intel
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is some questionable extrapolation, but here are water temps for the Woodlands CB&I sprint tri that typically takes place the first weekend in May:

Previous Race Day Water Temperature
2015 CB&I TRI race day water temperature was 75.7°
2014 CB&I TRI race day water temperature was 74.6°
2013 CB&I TRI race day water temperature was 70°
2012 CB&I TRI race day water temperature was 84°

While they didn't have the race last year, Lake Woodlands water temperature was 79° on May 12, 2016

Looking at that I'd venture to guess that it's more likely than not that it will be wetsuit legal, but as mentioned before it has been an unseasonably warm winter, so take this with a grain of salt. I would say its a safe bet that if it is wetsuit legal, its going to be one of those swims where halfway through you're wishing it wasn't while you roast.
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Mar 28, 17 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New *Revised* bib list posted!

Planning on swinging by the lake later today and checking the current water temp.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [I_Tri_4_Sanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I_Tri_4_Sanity wrote:
New *Revised* bib list posted!

Planning on swinging by the lake later today and checking the current water temp.

"Please follow the full WTC protocol when testing the water before posting result here" said the guy who is really starting to freak out.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
prepare your anus

lol.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
This is some questionable extrapolation, but here are water temps for the Woodlands CB&I sprint tri that typically takes place the first weekend in May:

While they didn't have the race last year, Lake Woodlands water temperature was 79° on May 12, 2016

Looking at that I'd venture to guess that it's more likely than not that it will be wetsuit legal, but as mentioned before it has been an unseasonably warm winter, so take this with a grain of salt. I would say its a safe bet that if it is wetsuit legal, its going to be one of those swims where halfway through you're wishing it wasn't while you roast.

Thank you for this info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

Thank you for this info

I took the temp yesterday. 74.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
eye3md wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

Thank you for this info

Thank you.

Looking at the next ten days weather forecast, looks like warm temps are predicted, so the water temp will only go up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
74 degrees again today.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [I_Tri_4_Sanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing as we have 8 out of the next 10 days forecasted for 80+F, I retract my 'more likely than not wetsuit legal' statement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
tjfry wrote:
eye3md wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

Thank you for this info

Thank you.

Looking at the next ten days weather forecast, looks like warm temps are predicted, so the water temp will only go up.

Lake Woodlands warms up and cools down relatively quickly.

For example, 2012 was super warm during the lead up to CB&I but for IMTX three weeks later the water temp had dropped 5-6 degrees. 2013 was cooler water for CB&I and was probably wetsuit legal just a week prior to IMTX but it was real hot towards the end of race week and it wasn't close to being wetsuit legal.

I still think it ends up wetsuit legal but who knows. I was 99% certain a couple of weeks ago. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good intel on this thread.

I suppose I'll cover all the bases - swimskin and both sleeveless/sleeved wetties.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
I suppose I'll cover all the bases - swimskin and both sleeveless/sleeved wetties.

You've got plenty of space to pack all of them. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

You've got plenty of space to pack all of them. :-)

Yep :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
eye3md wrote:
tjfry wrote:
eye3md wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

Thank you for this info

Thank you.

Lake Woodlands warms up and cools down relatively quickly.

For example, 2012 was super warm during the lead up to CB&I but for IMTX three weeks later the water temp had dropped 5-6 degrees. 2013 was cooler water for CB&I and was probably wetsuit legal just a week prior to IMTX but it was real hot towards the end of race week and it wasn't close to being wetsuit legal.

I still think it ends up wetsuit legal but who knows. I was 99% certain a couple of weeks ago. :-)

Any update on water temperature?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Estimated water temp is 70.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats water temps looking like these days down there in Houstan?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ Fry will have daily updates on Lake Woodlands water temps on his shop's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/...thwest-127782025587/

I would imagine the updates will start soon.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next