Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems the last few threads on Canadian IM's have been a useful repository of race info, so let's start something for Tahoe (and maybe you guys can push me over the edge on this one....). I am sure H2OFun will brow beat all of us to show up, but in the mean time, hopefully former racers and locals can share their expertise.

My questions:

1. Logistics between Finish line and T1. How efficient is it race morning
  2. New bike course vs Old Bike Course, tell me your views for those that pre rode the new course. I am 34x28 low gear guy at Tremblant, LP, Whistler and Nice and I think I would be fine with that
  3. Altitude effect. I have raced at Tahoe before when I was young. Showed up the day before with zero acclimatization and suffered it out. Frankly this would be the only option anyway
  4. Where do you recommend staying (I assume Squaw is better)
  5. I understand there is a clothes drop off point mid ride. How does this work
  6. How much worse was your IM run compared to sea level?
  7. Hydration....did you find you need more at altitude (my memory from racing there in 93 is vague)
  8. How much did you adjust your pacing relative to sea level 70% FTP? Did you go 65%. What did you top your pacing out on climbs?
  9. Sounds like you can register and drop off bikes on Saturday rather than Friday?
  10. Is Manofthewoods making a celebrity appearance? Can he order some warm weather like he did for Wildflower? Did H2OFun remove his appendix for better watts per kilo in the M55-59 group?

What else do we need to know?

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Well, it seems the last few threads on Canadian IM's have been a useful repository of race info, so let's start something for Tahoe (and maybe you guys can push me over the edge on this one....). I am sure H2OFun will brow beat all of us to show up, but in the mean time, hopefully former racers and locals can share their expertise.

My questions:

2. New bike course vs Old Bike Course, tell me your views for those that pre rode the new course. I am 34x28 low gear guy at Tremblant, LP, Whistler and Nice and I think I would be fine with that
  3. Altitude effect. I have raced at Tahoe before when I was young. Showed up the day before with zero acclimatization and suffered it out. Frankly this would be the only option anyway
  7. Hydration....did you find you need more at altitude (my memory from racing there in 93 is vague)
  8. How much did you adjust your pacing relative to sea level 70% FTP? Did you go 65%. What did you top your pacing out on climbs?
  9. Sounds like you can register and drop off bikes on Saturday rather than Friday?
  10. Is Manofthewoods making a celebrity appearance? Can he order some warm weather like he did for Wildflower? Did H2OFun remove his appendix for better watts per kilo in the M55-59 group?

1. Logistics between Finish line and T1. How efficient is it race morning - you can take a super early bus if staying at Squaw. This is most convenient. The BEST way to get to the start is to bum a ride. If you're staying in Tahoe City, I'll happily pick you up race morning.
  2. New bike course vs Old Bike Course, tell me your views for those that pre rode the new course. I am 34x28 low gear guy at Tremblant, LP, Whistler and Nice and I think I would be fine with that - You'll be fine with that gearing. I did it with 34/27 as a low gear and it was totally fine. My w/Kg is way lower than yours and there is less climbing.
  3. Altitude effect. I have raced at Tahoe before when I was young. Showed up the day before with zero acclimatization and suffered it out. Frankly this would be the only option anyway - My n=1 is that racing slowly (IM vs Olympic) impacts ME less. Didn't find altitude to be a problem as long as you are ready for it and don't target sea level power/pace.
  4. Where do you recommend staying (I assume Squaw is better) - Stay with friends who will drive you to the start line. If you are going alone and have no friends, then Squaw would be my pick.
  5. I understand there is a clothes drop off point mid ride. How does this work - There were a few garbage bins by the Squaw access rd. I dropped off a jacket/gloves that I had labeled with my number (duct tape and a sharpie). Picked them up the day after. No issues.
  6. How much worse was your IM run compared to sea level? Only Ironman I have done. 3:20 pb marathon and ran Tahoe in 3:45.
  7. Hydration....did you find you need more at altitude (my memory from racing there in 93 is vague) - No idea. I drink to thirst. Don't have a plan.
  8. How much did you adjust your pacing relative to sea level 70% FTP? Did you go 65%. What did you top your pacing out on climbs? - PM battery died in the cold. No idea.
  9. Sounds like you can register and drop off bikes on Saturday rather than Friday? - True. Plan on dropping off Saturday.
  10. Is Manofthewoods making a celebrity appearance? Can he order some warm weather like he did for Wildflower? Did H2OFun remove his appendix for better watts per kilo in the M55-59 group? - Manofthewoods is going to crush me (if he is racing the 70.3).

That's all I've got. Oh and bring ALL your clothes. Don't be afraid to trade a slow T1 time for an enjoyable rest of your day.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be curious to know wheel type you plan for the race. Disc or no disc.

Great questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm entered for the whole banana.

I've been working on my list of excuses for my poor performance (to be published later); a hint, can you say hamstring and pain in the butt???

Warm weather is on "order." But, as a reference, I thought WF was actually a bit cool this year (not complaining, just noting). I will confess that I DID think that CDA was a tad warm however.

It's gonna be a blast - but, for those in my AG I recommend doing the 70.3, that'll be where all really cool people hang out.

See ya!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
I always believe in a pt to pt race staying close to the start is the best way to go. Not knowing your plan though, Kings Beach does have a handful of hotels / motels right at the start. Condos are available as well (that is what
I did in 2013). I had a sherpa who drove the car to T1 after the start. So we could drive back after the race.

Altitude and Swimming are tough for me. So I got there 8 days early and swam almost everyday leading up to the race. The smart swim rolling start made it a very easy swim.

Yes there was a clothing drop. I used it on the second loop, and did not get my gear back. But I did not know I had to look for it either, I thought it was going to end up with our t1 items.

IM run.... haha that is a joke right. Lots of walking at my skill level. Seriously though, IM run is pretty slow so altitude non factor. If this was an Oly or I was more competitive different conversation.

Hydration no issue. In fact I could not stop pee'ing all day. every porta potty I saw and stop at.

Weather is pretty chilly in the AM. Regardless of mid day temps. We stayed a few times in Tahoe before the race and it was in the 40's in the am in July when temps went up to the 80s mid day. So clothing choices will be a factor even if the weather is perfect for the day.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Dev,
I always believe in a pt to pt race staying close to the start is the best way to go. Not knowing your plan though, Kings Beach does have a handful of hotels / motels right at the start. Condos are available as well (that is what
I did in 2013). I had a sherpa who drove the car to T1 after the start. So we could drive back after the race.

Altitude and Swimming are tough for me. So I got there 8 days early and swam almost everyday leading up to the race. The smart swim rolling start made it a very easy swim.

Yes there was a clothing drop. I used it on the second loop, and did not get my gear back. But I did not know I had to look for it either, I thought it was going to end up with our t1 items.

IM run.... haha that is a joke right. Lots of walking at my skill level. Seriously though, IM run is pretty slow so altitude non factor. If this was an Oly or I was more competitive different conversation.

Hydration no issue. In fact I could not stop pee'ing all day. every porta potty I saw and stop at.

Weather is pretty chilly in the AM. Regardless of mid day temps. We stayed a few times in Tahoe before the race and it was in the 40's in the am in July when temps went up to the 80s mid day. So clothing choices will be a factor even if the weather is perfect for the day.

OK, OK, I guess you did not pee in front of a USAT official while riding downhill at 80 kph!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I'm entered for the whole banana.

I've been working on my list of excuses for my poor performance (to be published later); a hint, can you say hamstring and pain in the butt???

Warm weather is on "order." But, as a reference, I thought WF was actually a bit cool this year (not complaining, just noting). I will confess that I DID think that CDA was a tad warm however.

It's gonna be a blast - but, for those in my AG I recommend doing the 70.3, that'll be where all really cool people hang out.

See ya!

Based on the track record, hot weather follows manofthewoods !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about signing up on short notice. Just started some "old school" get in shape quick program.
Will the race fill up? When should I sign up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahah
I am not a strong enough athlete at the IM distance to race.

So I enjoy the day, and keep my bibs and bike shoes dry and fragrance free....

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will definitely be following this thread...

I recently spent a weekend up there training, or as the cool kids say, doing "race recon". Prior to heading up, I searched online and asked a number of people at my club who raced in 2013 and/or who were all set to race in 2014. Here's what I've gathered and experienced. Hope this is helpful.

1. This ties into your #4. Much of where you opt to stay depends on how you want to spend your morning. I was told to get on the early bus from Squaw if I was staying near Squaw. If you have support, they could drop you off at King's Beach, so that wouldn't matter much where you stay, just may be a challenge for them to get back to Squaw or wherever they are staying after the swim. From King's Beach heading to Tahoe City (and then Squaw) the road will be closed. Thus, your support crew will need to go the long way around Truckee to get to Squaw (I believe this is correct - Please let me know if I'm misinformed or read the road closure info wrong).

2. We rode the new course, and also checked out some of the 2014 course portions that were altered. As many have stated, Brockway is not that bad. The problem is doing it twice during a 110ish bike. I'll have a 52/36 with an 11/28. That will be more than enough gearing for Brockway, as well as some of the other minor hills leaving King's beach and heading towards Tahoe City (Grove Street).

3. Day one of training was fine. Day two was "different". I'll be at elevation from Monday-Sunday. Hopefully that helps a bit, but plan to suffer regardless. Not much I can do, though I hear there is a mask that some people use ;)

4. I asked around and read a lot on this. The consensus was stay at Squaw/Olympic and take the bus OR stay in King's Beach (if you have support). Many people I talked to loved being right near the finish in Squaw and not having to have family drive and deal with traffic/road closures. The others said stay in King's Beach so you can sleep in and be relaxed walking to the start. You will need a way back to King's Beach post-race as I don't believe a shuttle is running. I'll have support and they also preferred sleeping and walking to the start. So we are staying in King's Beach.
5-10. I'll leave these to the experts and veterans.

Wheels - I'm leaning towards a 60/90 with disc cover. Once you make that right in Tahoe City off Fairway, you've got a lot of miles of flat and fast racing on the 89. This was fairly consistent through Squaw/Truckee and onto the trail before hitting Brockway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
We got a nice house at Dollar Point between the start and finish. This allowed the family/friends to walk out to the bike course with their coffee and catch us going by. An early car ride into Kings Beach was no problem. We parked a couple blocks north and put on our wetsuits immediately, since it was freezing, and headed down the swim start. If it's cold, bring socks/throw away shoes to stand on the beach. I thought my toes were frostbitten. Hope you don't need that advice....

I live at sea level in Louisiana and didn't find the altitude an issue but intentionally swam very, very easy and lowered my watt target on the bike substantially. The ride took forever......but my run was one of my better ones as a result. I drank more than usual and found out i needed to eat more as well. Our families parked at Squaw and transported us back to Dollar point after the race.

I would discourage families from driving out onto the bike course. Those that did said the traffic was one way and awful.

I know our temps were unusually low but it warmed up nicely during the run - until the sun slipped behind the mountain top. That happens quick and temps go down rapidly. I vividly remember wondering if needed my special needs jacket at all when I was by the river headed back towards Squaw Valley. By the time I hit special needs, the sun had dipped just behind the mountain i was begging for that jacket.

The clothes drop off was a tent along the road near Squaw. They said to label everything. I didn't give them anything so i don't know how the pickup occurred post-race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

My questions:

Nah, will not beat you up. Would be great to see you race. Am trying to get Dan to race also. I keep going back and forth on what race I would want to do. I am still far from recovering from my
issues in the last few weeks, but am trying to get back into shape.

1). I stayed at Kings beach. 5 minute walk to the starting line. Will be my 3rd year doing the same. The boss drives the car around so no big deal. It is a 30 plus minute drive from Squaw to Kings beach.
2). New course is easier without Martis. You are a stud so a 34/28 will be fine.
3). I am not going up until Sat, so I expect zero altitude impact. One still needs to pace for altitude though.
4). I still love sleeping in, being relaxed at Kings beach. I might just drive home after the race since it is 1:15 to my door step, or 30 minutes back to Kings beach.
5). Who knows what they do "officially" with close. I dropped off stuff last time at a tri club I am a member of. I could even just drop at the aid station at squaw and have my wife ready
to pick stuff up.
6). I had zero issues running at altitude as shown by my run time
7). I hardly drank any water on the bike, but had to stop and pee 10 times. I have never peed that much in a race. Guess I have to be more careful this time. :)
8). I always race hard so never worry about numbers.
9). Yep, you can check in, and I assume register Sat from 9-11. I will be writing WTC again to see if I want to change to the full, would they take my money on Sat. If not, I have a great excuse of why I did
the 70.3
10). Keith, the stud, yep, he is going of a Kona slot, again since 2014 did not work out. My appendix is going. The hamstring is pulled. The knee is acting up. And the calf was real tight today.
No fun trying to come back from injury with a long race coming up.

What else do you need to know, just do it! It might be the last year which I hope not but....

Dan, ready to join us? If you were to do the full, I might run out of excuses. We both are hurt so we would have nothing to lose but have a great day for memories.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 14, 15 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of research that I've read about adjusting FTP for altitude is to decrease by ~10-15% if you are not acclimated. Here is one post about it: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...bic-performance.html

I moved from sea level to 5000 ft about 5 months ago, and do a good bit of training at 6000-8000+ ft, and my FTP is still between 5-10% lower than at sea level even after acclimating. I think if you come from sea level and try to ride the same goal Ironman %FTP at Tahoe you will pay for it. I did Boulder and am doing Tahoe. I saw a lot of people at Boulder really hurting on the last half of the bike and on the run and I believe a big part is not adjusting target power/pacing/HR to altitude for those who came form sea level.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more question. If I register for the IM can I downgrade to the half IM on Saturday before the race.The reason I ask, is that I am OK doing a half IM in cold and rain because the intensity is high enough to stay warm enough to not go totally hypothermic as I did a Whistler. At least that gives me a bail out option on Saturday morning if they are calling for rain and cold. I just don't want to go through another IM in the cold rain for a while and of course it is borderline silly signing up for Tahoe given this, but Tahoe is logistically a fairly easy opportunity and I don't really have to do another training build like a later season event would entail (like end Oct or Nov if I wanted to do one of those)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
One more question. If I register for the IM can I downgrade to the half IM on Saturday before the race.The reason I ask, is that I am OK doing a half IM in cold and rain because the intensity is high enough to stay warm enough to not go totally hypothermic as I did a Whistler. At least that gives me a bail out option on Saturday morning if they are calling for rain and cold. I just don't want to go through another IM in the cold rain for a while and of course it is borderline silly signing up for Tahoe given this, but Tahoe is logistically a fairly easy opportunity and I don't really have to do another training build like a later season event would entail (like end Oct or Nov if I wanted to do one of those)

I would write them. Anytime we change, there is a 50 dollar fee.

Now if I were you, and kinda what I am doing, is I am not changing anything until Sat. I would write WTC, but I assume you could sign up on Sat. I have another friend I am suggesting this to.
That way if one gets hurt, or the weather is going to be terrible, a fire, etc., one is not out the money.

Would you race by yourself or bring the family?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would race solo if I did this one. Most WTC race registrations usually close on Sunday 1 week before so I THINK you have to sign up by then as a minimum but please correct us if Tahoe has different options for the 70.3 and 140.6. For example the Muskoka 70.3 even though it was not sold out and plenty of room in transition, the registrations closed on Sunday 1 week out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I would race solo if I did this one. Most WTC race registrations usually close on Sunday 1 week before so I THINK you have to sign up by then as a minimum but please correct us if Tahoe has different options for the 70.3 and 140.6. For example the Muskoka 70.3 even though it was not sold out and plenty of room in transition, the registrations closed on Sunday 1 week out.

This is why I would write them. Having a Sat check in is new. Some have said some races this year have done the day before registration. Cannot hurt to ask.
I was told if I wanted to change from the 70.3 to full, I had to do by end of July. But if I wanted to do, and they did not want to take my 550 bucks on Sat, their loss. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - Any idea when the last possible day to sign up would be?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tahoe 140.6 and 70.3 Q&A Thread [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:
Dave - Any idea when the last possible day to sign up would be?

I have heard other races took money on the day before the race. BUT, I would write WTC.
I am going to write them in a while to ask because of my injuries, would they take my money to upgrade
to the full on the Sat. If not, so be it.

Write WTC and let us know.

Michelle Haustein <support@myracequestions.com>

is the one who is answering the questions on entry and prices.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, interesting graph on Tahoe Weather with the Blue band denoting average daily low:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31814/South-Lake-Tahoe-California-United-States

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 15, 15 17:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I assume it will be cool in the morning, just hope not as cold as 2013. We deserve a break this year. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the precipitation historical view from the same website:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, seems what I have seen over the years.

So, are you going to come down?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went out there last year and was in the water when it cancelled. I purchased the 100$ entry fee for this year but won't be able to make it out there (though in the back of my mind I'm scheming ways). It didn't make sense financially especially with the wildfires that continue to plague the area...cant take the chance that it will cancel.

Definitely while training there for a few short days the swim is where I felt the altitude the most, was real slow and out of breath.

Loved the climbing on the bike and the run was gonna be a slugfest regardless.

Jealous of those who will get to compete this year and seriously contemplating a last minute effort to get there (pretty sure I have the fitness), though I'd have to ride the road bike with clip-ons. It is an absolutely stunning area and reminds me of VT where i grew up. Most beautiful lake I've ever seen. If your in the area and on the fence, DO IT!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, this course this year, can we preview ride/drive the whole bike or there's some closed off sections like before?
Quote Reply

Prev Next