Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM South Africa Wheel selection
Quote | Reply
Question for those of you that have raced IM South Africa. I have heard the winds are pretty strong. I know the bike course has been changed for this year and am wondering if the new course impacts the amount of wind exposure. I was planning on running a Super 9 back and 808 front but could be talked out of it. I'm a decent bike handler and fairly big for a triathlete (~175lbs race weight). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
Question for those of you that have raced IM South Africa. I have heard the winds are pretty strong. I know the bike course has been changed for this year and am wondering if the new course impacts the amount of wind exposure. I was planning on running a Super 9 back and 808 front but could be talked out of it. I'm a decent bike handler and fairly big for a triathlete (~175lbs race weight). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I went with dual Bonetrager 70's which handle like my 808 used to. I weighed in at 138 lbs for race day and was fine. Front 808 + rear disk would be the way to go with the new course. There is nothing technical on the new course. Last year's course had a few tight corners and fast downhills with gusts/crosswinds off the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Devashish. Appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced 2014 with your exact wheel combo, no problems and it was super windy

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect...Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be rocking the same 808-Super9 set-up.

I have a different question regarding race day set-up and IM SA :)

I've heard that the surface was supposed to be rough for this bike course in the past. Anyone know if the changes in the bike course take people away from the rougher sections?

Thinking about keeping my 24mm Turbo cotton or change to s-works turbo.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what its worth I've heard from a couple guys that the new bike route will be more exposed to wind than the old one. Less climbing, more wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve

I'm a local and have done IMSA the past 3 years.

Disk + 808 will be fine. I rode this combo the last three years, and the only "hairy" moment I had was coming down a fast descent at 70kph when a gust hit me. This descent is no longer in the new course.

The new route is more exposed to the wind as its now mostly along the coast, but the prevailing winds are either E / W, and the course follows an E / W out and back route, so 90% of the ride will likely be either directly into or with the wind.

As to the other poster's question on the road surface, there is a pretty rough stretch of about 15km but they have recently resurfaced it so it is quite a bit better. Not highway quality asphalt, but its not as bone-rattling as before. I recommend a 24/25mm wide tire on the rear, 23mm front.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [KnudsenDenmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Thinking about keeping my 24mm Turbo cotton or change to s-works turbo.

I've never raced the s-works turbo, but personally my choice would be the Turbo Cottons.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Do the rough patches of road warrant a different tire pressure, little bit softer to absorb unevenness? Or should one go with the standard 100-ish psi? Good to hear about better roads still!
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scandinavianguy wrote:
Hi! Do the rough patches of road warrant a different tire pressure, little bit softer to absorb unevenness? Or should one go with the standard 100-ish psi? Good to hear about better roads still!

maybe just a little (like 95). I always get nervous about flats if I go much less than that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I found your post....planing on racing this next year (apr 2017) and I'll be rolling a disk on the back after reading this.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going as well and will be running Enve System 8.9s.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to this thread....7 weeks to go and the countdown has begun!

How's everyone's training going?
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far my build is going very well ... looking forward to IMSA. Yesterday I completed a 4 day tri camp in Clermont, FL. I was beat down! Today is off and then back to the grind.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa Wheel selection [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Yeah it is becoming a bit of a grind. Up early every day to get the training in is starting to take its toll.
Quote Reply