Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM OHIO 70.3
Quote | Reply
Who is in? First HIM for me so I'm anxious but excited to have a race close by.

Few thoughts:

73(!) and good chance of rain with winds W ~10mph as of 4:30pm on 8/17.

I'm prepared for a non-wetsuit swim although this weeks rain may cool the water.

Bike course has a bunch of turns, some of which with gravel, and there is a decent stretch with rough roads in general. Keep a keen eye if you don't get out of the course prior to the race.

Run course could be tough if the sun's out IMO, but with the current forecast it shouldn't be an issue. With cool temps this could be a fast day..
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [FirstWatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bike course will suck. those roads are bad and bumpy.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike will be fast, very little climbing. Experienced the same a few weeks back on R66 70.3, flat fast and bumpy. Tip: body glide the under region. I chaffed on the run down there, never happened before, currently blaming the beating my boys took while on the bike.

I had heard there were quality concerns with the water a few weeks back, just tri rumors, but the state has no warning issued as of today so that's great to hear. May do this race next year, waiting for some race reports.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Yes the weather will play a part in this race. Last I looked it was up to 15-20mph winds and 100% humidity.

I'm prepared for a non-wetsuit swim as well. I heard the temp was 79 but that was from a fishing report so who knows.

Good luck to everyone and be safe!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Hoping it stays non-wetsuit and the roads aren't as bad as everyone says (or that I've ridden in some really bad roads and the bike course is at least better than those). Not looking forward to the run because I haven't run much this year due to an injury...anything after 6.5 miles is unchartered territory for the past year.

I spent the first 18 years if my life in Delaware....looking forward to racing on home turf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in - I'm a local and an Ohio Wesleyan alum, so of course I had to do this one. I've ridden the course 4-5 times. The Morrow County roads (northeastern section) are narrow and a bit crunchy even after "repairs." I foresee a lot of near- misses from less-experienced riders veering left around potholes and into a passing rider. With so many newer triathletes registered for this one, I plan to ride very defensively.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [mum2girls] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to all. I will be there watching. I am local and the run course is almost my back yard. I run much of that route regularly and think it is quite a nice run but can be tough if humidity is up and no cloud cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be there racing. Hoping for a fast day. Looks like 40% chance of rain/wind and strong thunderstorms early morning then clearing in the PM. Hopefully nothing gets canceled. Looking forward to starting in the first wave though.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in for the race. Will be staying in the Polaris area Friday and Saturday night. Hoping to get to see the bike course Saturday before checking in.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [bariiings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there as well. I am from NE Ohio and can't imagine the roads being any worse than what I am used to riding on. Should be cool and wet, which for me is better than hot and humid. So happy Ironman came to Ohio. It will be a great time racing in my home state. Good luck to all and safe travels. I agree, be careful out there. A lot of new triathletes will be competing.

Start slow and taper off....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone hear a water temp today? can't imagine it'll drop enough for wetsuits.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am here! Hoping the weather holds true and we have cooler temperatures, light winds and way lower humidity for tomorrow.

I swam today and with the winds it was a bit choppy. I'm thinking if it stays the same lots of non-strong swimmers may opt for the wetsuit wave (despite how warm the water is).
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just heard they're may have been a tornado at Delaware state park (T1)!? Can't imagine what that did to all the racked bikes. One more thing to lose sleep over tonight!
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep sirens going off where I live (just south of Delaware city) but nothing reported on national weather service. Friend called the sheriff office and they told them about the tornado at the park.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, hopefully everyone onsite is OK. Looks like a chance of some more weather heading that tonight. Tomorrow should be pretty great if the forecast holds though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how is everyone feeling this morning? Congrats to those that came out!

So the roads were much improved over my practice ride a few weeks ago. All the loose gravel that I was concerned about wasn't an issue. Made for a really fast ride.

Some scary weather the night before, but it turned out nice for race day.

I really enjoyed the course and will look at doing it again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [SlemAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was great too. Run course was hillier than I expected but nothing crazy. My Garmin had the swim for 2100m. Was it longer than 1900 or did I slither my way through?
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure on the swim distance. Mine showed 2300m, but I am still using an old 310xt, so the swimming accuracy sucks and the route map makes it look like I was swimming drunk. The bike did come up a little short though at 54.9.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [SlemAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a really nice race. I'll admit, I was skeptical about the road conditions but they were in 10x better condition yesterday than they were 3 weeks ago and 100x better than 6 weeks ago. Ironman really came through on that aspect. Very fast (flat) course.

I liked that there were a few hills on the run. Nice change of scenery after that pancake flat ride. As for the swim, I measured something just over 1900 meters on my Garmin, but who knows how accurate that is.

I don't think I'll do it again next year, but being from Ohio, I would definitely consider it again in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Delaware and whomever made it happen. Good course, nice locals, well organized, can't ask for much more.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Thanks to Delaware and whomever made it happen. Good course, nice locals, well organized, can't ask for much more.

X2! Very nice race. Roads were a little rough at times but it was fast,fast,fast! The swim start was the only complaint I had. I would rather people seat themselves by time than to have a wave set up for us. Really got congested in a lot of areas on the swim because of this. The run was nice and the community came out to support. All in all this was a good race and should only get better next year. I'm only 1.5 hours away so I'll do it again for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [Ironriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the race was pretty great.

I thought the swim was great, this was my first time having my wave split in two and I didn't really care for that. I think waiting 8 minutes between waves and having the whole AG go together would have been fine. It seemed a bit long, I'm guessing 200 or so based on my time and other's times. Torn between being bummed I wasn't going to get my goal time and being happy it was long so I had a little more advantage over the non swimmers.

I drove the bike course the night before and was really worried about the road conditions and how much that would suck the next day, but I was surprised they weren't as bad as expected. There were some really crappy parts, but the roads that weren't smooth didn't seem to be as much of an issue as I expected. I think if the temps were hot then only having 3 aid stations on the bike would have been an issue. But the cooler temps meant I didn't need anything until the last aid station, tried for a gatorade but ended up with a water and that was fine

The run was nice. Again, the cooler temps made this possible. The people out cheering were awesome (especially the two guys in speedos). I hope if it's hot in the future they have ice available. I got it at 2 aid stations but I think the people working decided to have it available instead of using it for sponges because there wasn't much of it.

The finish at the stadium and the crowds around the exit of T2 was nice. I'll probably be back next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it at 230 yards long on the swim. It definitely seemed long. My time was a couple minutes longer than typical for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM OHIO 70.3 [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it was a good first year for the race. Anyone know when registration will open for next year's race?
Quote Reply

Prev Next