Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Nutrition Question
Quote | Reply
Is the Powerbar Perform offered at bike and run aid stations mixed to the specifications listed on the store-bought canister? For example, if you pick up a 24 oz bottle at a bike aid station, will it contain 3 scoops/210 calories? Does anyone know the approximate volume of a bottle from one of the bike stations?

I plan on using on-course nutrition for IM Chattanooga (my first!) and want to dial in calories per hour while training with the on-course nutrition, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Question [GSPracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is in manufactures bottles on the bike course, and I *think* from bottles on the run. I have raced on it many times and it seems the same as what I mix at home.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 5 IMs, I've never had bottles on the run. Having volunteered at triathlons and standalone marathons, I will tell you that we don't sit there with a scoop and a cup to get to the exact mixture. We approximate. I've never poured bottles into a cup either. It's always made from either syrup or powder. This is not to say that bottles aren't used. It is only to say that it's never been done like that at races that I've volunteered at

On the bike, the bottles are the standard 24 oz bottles. You can look online for the nutritional breakdown of the bottle.

Last edited by: zoom: Jul 31, 14 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Question [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it seems to taste a little sweeter. I'ts possible some of the fructose is liquid (HFCS.... Gasp! the horror!), but I thought that had to be labels as a syrup vs. powder. Simple answer might be that more powdered fructose is used than dextrose. Fructose is a little sweeter. Maltodextrine of course is not that sweet at all.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GSPracer wrote:
If you pick up a 24 oz bottle at a bike aid station, will it contain 3 scoops/210 calories?

I'm afraid you just cannot rely on this being in any way accurate. In fact, I've had many half-filled bottles and other ones that obviously had about 1/2 the specified dosage.

Although it doesn't help the situation overall, I'd take multiple bottles at aid stations and discard instead of finding 2 miles up the road you've basically picked up homeopathic isotonic...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Question [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
GSPracer wrote:
If you pick up a 24 oz bottle at a bike aid station, will it contain 3 scoops/210 calories?

I'm afraid you just cannot rely on this being in any way accurate. In fact, I've had many half-filled bottles and other ones that obviously had about 1/2 the specified dosage.

Although it doesn't help the situation overall, I'd take multiple bottles at aid stations and discard instead of finding 2 miles up the road you've basically picked up homeopathic isotonic...

I was pretty sure that in a IM branded race, bottles were premixed. The only risk is the cap not getting screwed on completely. At a non-branded event where it's mixed from powder and most likely filled from a cooler, this is possible. I would be shocked if someone is putting powder in a bottle then filling the bottle. Much more efficient with labor to mix whole coolers, prefill a bunch of bottles that morning and fill bottles as needed during the race.

However, I would always have contingency plans and carry a little extra nutrition just in case. You might end up only being able to grab just water at an aide station. 10oz water + 1 gel = 1/2 bottle of perform in terms of calories.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition Question [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the premix/ready-to-drink Perform. I think a few extra gels just-in-case is a great idea, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the bike, they're the ready to drink bottles. 20 oz. 175 calories (2.5 servings). On the run it will be in cups. I'm assuming it's mixed to the directions on the container, or close enough that it's not going to throw off your plan.

I was told it's usually orange flavor on the bike and lemon-lime on the run for full ironmans.
Last edited by: Supersquid: Jul 31, 14 10:11
Quote Reply