Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM NZ tyre pressure
Quote | Reply
I cant remember where I saw it, but somewhere was suggesting 90-100 psi for this race due to the rough surface. I'm going to be using 25c GP 4000s and was wondering if anyone had any advice on this?
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [Bam87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chip seal in NZ sucks. Go 90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Keep the pressure on the low side for your weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much do you weigh?
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

I'd agree with this unless you're a really big unit. The road isn't as bad as it used to be - town is fine, and a lot of the road out to Reparoa (the turnaround) was resurfaced just in time for the race last year. It's a hell of a lot better than the roads where I live a few hours south of Taupo. I'm not racing this year due to a new baby - have an awesome day, and make sure you bring gear for all weathers!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be probably 80/81 with cycling gear on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80/81 what?
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KGs.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pressure do you normally use?
90-100psi is more than enough on 25mm tyres at that weight regardless of the road surface.
Also what's your internal rim width.
I generally ride either 25mm Continental GP4000s on 19mm wide Swiss-Side rims on the tri bike or 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC on 15mm Mavic rims on the road bike. I use similar pressures on both and those pressures are usually:
rear wheel = 90psi to 100psi
front wheel = 80psi to 85psi.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
rear wheel = 90psi to 100psi
front wheel = 80psi to 85psi.

I ran close to this there last year. Believe I went 85 in the rear and 80 up front. I weigh 75kg.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running Vittoria Evo CXII tubulars on Hed Stinger wheels (the wide rims), 23mm front 25mm rear. I weigh 71kg what would you recommend for my pressure? I was going to run 95 rear 90 front
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not well versed in Tubulars, so not sure if it is different for them. But if they were clinchers and with your weight I would run close to what I recommended above, if not a little less.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bam87 wrote:

I'd go with 80-90psi as the roads are pretty rough and while I'm not a serious data geek there is some evidence that states the benefits of comfort you'll gain out weigh the friction caused by surface area in contact with the road. If I were you I'd also go with 25mm up front and 25mm (28mm if you can) in the rear tyres. That way you could easily run around 80-90psi as they do in the Paris Roubaix.
Last edited by: iron snorks: Feb 16, 17 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
and make sure you bring gear for all weathers!

No kidding. The year I did IMNZ it was 3C and foggy at race start. I froze for the first lap of the bike.
By the time I was only my final lap of the run it was 27C and I was getting a sunburn.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

x2...make that x1000...
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
Bam87 wrote:

I'd go with 80-90psi as the roads are pretty rough and while I'm not a serious data geek there is some evidence that states the benefits of comfort you'll gain out weigh the friction caused by surface area in contact with the road. If I were you I'd also go with 25mm up front and 25mm (28mm if you can) in the rear tyres. That way you could easily run around 80-90psi as they do in the Paris Roubaix.
I raced there a couple years ago and I didn't find the roads to be that bad. Switching over to latex tubes for race day also seems to soften the feel of the road, so the chip seal didn't bother me that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Pissed down for 2 days straight - lake is cooling nicely.

;)

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I'd agree with this unless you're a really big unit. The road isn't as bad as it used to be - town is fine, and a lot of the road out to Reparoa (the turnaround) was resurfaced just in time for the race last year.

Where I live, the new chipseal is the worst! The older stuff gradually gets worn down.

If it's rough chipseal, 25c GP4000 and 180 lb full up weight, I think 80 psi would suffice. Maybe less if there aren't potholes and rocks to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have switched tubes as well so we'll see how that goes!
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using 19mm rims so might go something along the lines you use. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for the advice
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bah. It was lovely in Kinloch last weekend. Just about right.

Is Taupo generally a slow lake to swim in, or is it just me - I always seem to go faster in the Blue Lake in Rotorua.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The roads at IMNZ are freaking horrible.

Whatever you ride on race day (on your 25mm's) ride 10-20 PSI less.

Before race day, don't to an easy ride along the waterfront, ride up the Napier/Taupo hill. Know it, or you will be in the big ring and go "Oh FK" and be stuck at 40RPM for 5 minutes.

also, if you can, get a ride to the race track. Ride 20km out and 20km back. You need to know that hill in both directions, and also the crappy road for a while. That will convince you to ride 10-20 PSI lower than normal.

You will see speeds lower than you're used to, but don't worry. If you ride hard on hard tires, you bike split will be ok, but your legs will be fried from all the vibration. Give up a couple of minutes on the bike so you can actually run the marathon, without crying for your mommy.

On 25's you're probably good with 90-95 PSI

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also didn't find the roads bad at all last year.

Rode 9min faster at Taupo than Kona so conditions dependant it really isn't that bad.

In saying that 90psi was about the mark I went with in both wheels. Enve 8.9 with 23 Continental gp4000IIS
Last edited by: Brett runs: Feb 16, 17 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: IM NZ tyre pressure [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's dropped since last weekend, 2 days of cold weather & rain will do that.

How are you gauging 'faster' between the two? Just on feel? I often think its like riding a bike in the dark - you always feel like you're going faster. Blue Lake is the same, you can't see a thing compared to seeing the bottom the whole way in Taupo.

SB.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply

Prev Next