Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year?
Quote | Reply
Just curious...I still have the scars on my left foot from when that bugger latched on to me in 2008, a particularly bad year. Really freaks me out, too, when my hand comes down on them and they slither away...

Spot

Quote | Reply
I raced it last year and am just going as a spectator this year. Really happy I do not have to get in that water again with those things. I didn't get bit like you but felt quite a few last year... yuck!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of these MF'n snakes in this MF'n lake!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [Jedd325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this is why I'll never do that race. I have an insane (or sane depending on your perspective) fear of snakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am ophidiophobic and won't ever do IMMOO.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in the lakes quite a bit this year with swim groups. The real key has been to stay in the middle of the group, as they seem to not be able to get through the others to me. A few fellow swimmers haven't been as lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God damn snakes.

They were horrible last year. It took me 2 years to get over the trauma from 2010. I think last years trauma is going to take at least another 2 or 3 years to get over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not particularly familiar with IMOO.

Let me get this straight: the swim takes place in a body of water in which people are frequently bitten by snakes?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a fucking awful place to have a race. S'pose it makes for good stories, though...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are put there to eat the algae blooms that happen kust before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So IMMOO's swim is in a body of water that intentionally has snakes in it? That is the most awful thing I have ever heard. "Yeah, 2.4 miles of swimming wasn't bad enough. Let's toss some slithery reptiles in the water to add some intrigue"

I will never, ever, ever do IMMOO.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You misunderstand. They actually drain the lake. You don't swim in a body of water, you swim in a body of snakes. It's all part of the new image of IM, trying to bring 'tough' back to the sport.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear they also hold races in bodies of water containing sharks (which attack people), jellyfish (which sting people who swim into them) and stingrays (which attack beloved tv personalities). And more people drown than die from all these attacks put together. The snakes are the least of your worries really...you should boycott all swims that involve water.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoaa, stop the press! Snakes? IMWI was going to be my first IM, just thinking about this is going to give me nightmares...no f'ing way!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm not particularly familiar with IMOO.

Let me get this straight: the swim takes place in a body of water in which people are frequently bitten by snakes?

X2. Wtf? Is this pre-race gamesmanship? Time to google.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It was just a little boa constrictor!!!!

Fisherman finds dead boa constrictor in Lake Monona

[/url][/url]

[/url]26
&lt/body&gt
Saved
[/url]

PrintEmail
false
2014-04-05T08:30:00ZFisherman finds dead boa constrictor in Lake MononaJEFF GLAZE | Wisconsin State Journal | jglaze@madison.com | 608-252-6138madison.com
April 05, 2014 8:30 am • By Jeff Glaze | Wisconsin State Journal
Jeff Glaze | Wisconsin State Journal

jglaze@madison.com

(6) Comments
×Related Photos
«

»

Buy Now
Boa constrictor
Jeff Glaze | Wisconsin State Journal
A dead boa constrictor sits frozen and coiled on a table top Thursday. Monona resident Terry Doyle found the South American snake while fishing off the railroad crossing in Lake Monona Wednesday.
[/url]
(1) More Photos[/url]

In springtime, Terry Doyle regularly bikes around Lake Monona searching for open water to cast a line. But his fishing excursion Wednesday led to a much more unusual catch than the standard bluegill: a 6-foot-long boa constrictor.
Doyle, of Monona, was on the railroad embankment near John Nolen Drive when he discovered the dead snake dangling from the ice into the thawing water.
Constrictors aren’t native to Wisconsin. They can live in a variety of habitats but generally take refuge in the warmer climates of Central and South America.
But it was a familiar sight for the 61-year-old Doyle, who in his 20s had a pet constrictor named “Priscilla.”
“What else would you call a snake?” he joked.
Doyle bagged the snake and took it to the Department of Natural Resources to report the find.
“This is a beautiful pet. It may have escaped but I think somebody just released it, and it may have survived the summer but not the onslaught of winter,” Doyle said.
DNR officials confirmed that Doyle had showed them the snake.
Jeff Stafford, general curator at Henry Vilas Zoo, said it’s plausible the snake escaped, but agreed with Doyle’s assessment that the snake was likely released by a negligent owner.
Stafford said the Humane Society and other groups provide free, responsible options for surrendering all types of animals, including snakes. Releasing a boa constrictor into the Wisconsin wild would be unethical because it would have “no chance” of surviving a Midwestern winter, he said.
“It’s a South American snake that doesn’t have heat-seeking behavior. It could survive in the summertime, but once it starts getting cold, they don’t regulate their own body temperature and it would freeze,” Stafford said.
Releasing a constrictor is frowned upon regardless of survival chance because the species is such a dangerous predator.
The U.S. Geological Survey considers large predator snakes, including constrictors and pythons, to be a greater risk as invaders because of their adaptability and ability to find suitable prey. Predator snakes are also a great threat to species already at risk.
Aside from how it got there, a constrictor on the loose is still an alarming sight for the unsuspecting Wisconsinite. According to the National Zoo, the species can range from 20 inches to 13 feet, depending on age.
They are also known as excellent swimmers — a frightening thought to Doyle, especially if he were to see one swim by while out fishing, he said.
Copyright 2014 madison.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten

Read more: http://host.madison.com/...a.html#ixzz3CD0jyR8f
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats really not helpful, at all!!!! Whats next, Ironman Amazon?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Thats really not helpful, at all!!!! Whats next, Ironman Amazon?

Piranha
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I'm tired of these MF'n snakes in this MF'n lake!!!

Everybody listen up! We have to put a barrier between us and the snakes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit. We are bitching about the 116 mile bike on the Chatt course. No way in hell I am swimming through F'n snakes full wetsuit or not. Please tell me this is BS.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:
No shit. We are bitching about the 116 mile bike on the Chatt course. No way in hell I am swimming through F'n snakes full wetsuit or not. Please tell me this is BS.

This is BS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [Jedd325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The juveniles bite you as a test of their mettle, not a big worry if you can deal with the hassle. The adults view you as an easy food source and try to pull you under. Stay in the middle of the swim pack if possible.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on guys... there's only about 1200 snakes so 50-50 shot one gets you. Plus I beat they can only hold a 1:20 pace.

I'm prepared. While swimming at my neighbors pool, I had to fish a 2' long baby rat snake 3 days in a row. Cut into my swim time. A real pita.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Whoaa, stop the press! Snakes? IMWI was going to be my first IM, just thinking about this is going to give me nightmares...no f'ing way!!!

Glad I'm not using one of my wetsuits. I beat they live the taste of neoprene. Like catnip for them.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo: How bad are the snakes this year? [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:

This is not BS. It is widely known that there are many snakes at IM Wisconsin

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next