Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Monterrey 70.3 Swim and Bike Inquiry
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Ironman Monterrey 70.3 next weekend. There's (obviously) not a lot of content out there on the race, seeing as it's the first year in this incarnation. When I review video and photographs from its predecessor race, I see absolutely no swim skins/wet suits and no disc wheels. I'm flying in so knowing whether either is allowed or encouraged would be helpful. The lack of wetsuits was not a huge surprise, but the absence of ANY discs or swim skins seems peculiar. But I also noticed a ton or regular bikes and some very modest equipment across all three disciplines. So I initially thought, maybe the really high-end, nerdy, ultra-narcissistic stuff hadn't really hit our southern neighbors. But that seemed unlikely based on what I've seen from them when they cross the border to race Galveston, etc. Then I thought maybe past races have been short-course?.. but even then that seemed unlikely. And the bike course hardly seems like wide-open countryside so I disregarded heavy winds playing a factor. Usually there's always some goober (usually me) racing a disc even when they shouldn't..

All to say, does anyone have experience or feedback on this course in terms of whether swim skins or disc wheels would be beneficial? Their race Facebook presence indicates neither is prohibited. Typical Taper week OCD ruminations....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Monterrey 70.3 Swim and Bike Inquiry [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hank , I´m from Monterrey unfortunately not going to be able to do the 70.3 due to a grade 3 ligament separation on the shoulder, I checked the water temperature yesterday and it was 18 degrees Celsius, I think it´s gonna be wetsuit legal,the picture you saw was from an Olympic triathlon , your gonna see a lot of 10 grand bicycles on Sunday, people love to show off here jajaja, let me double check if the disc it´s allowed, no worries about the wind it´s not that strong , if it´s legal I would use it , the bike course it´s on a highway , its 90 % flat the running part it´s in fundidora park also flat, If you wanna ride or run next week tell me and you can join my triathlon team , the coach is Francisco Serrano, he went to the Olympics in Beijing, next Saturday there letting swim the Santa Lucia river ...
any question let me now
Disc is legal
Sergio Martinez
Last edited by: nnxmx: Mar 8, 14 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was this race? Was the 3-lap bike course crazy-crowded?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM Monterrey 70.3 Swim and Bike Inquiry [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed: It was a fun race. I would do it again, but I probably won't. Here's the highlights:

PRE-RACE
1.) Very easy to navigate through the airport and get into downtown. I would highly recommend staying near the Macroplaza. I got a great deal at the Fiesta Americana Hotel, and would recommend it. It's not the Ritz, closer to a La Quinta here, but it's safe and close, the restaurant is good and the people are very friendly. The race site and immediate location is nice enough, but I definitely would not want to wander much further out that a couple blocks.
2.) Expo was good, but virtually none of the volunteers spoke English, so that was more difficult than I anticipated. But it's a destination race, you gotta' be up for the adventure.
3.) The swim is nuts, a lot of fun. It's definitely PR-able, as the water is clear and clean and you can draft and can't get too far off course because the canal is only about 20" wide. Lots of spectators, lots of fun. Very novel mdot experience.
4.) The ride does get quite congested on certain parts of the later loops, but it's not that bad at all because they literally shut down the freeway and you've usually got 3-4 lanes across. The freeway represents about 75% of the course. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 riding at home and 10 the Tour de France, in terms of congestion it's a 3, 4 and 5 (for each lap, respectively). There is a section connecting downtown to the freeway that is a narrow cobble stone street that is all tore up and rough and can get congested. It's a 7, 8 and 9 on this scale. And then you've got to navigate through the downtown area three times, and the turns and loops there feel like a 4, 5 and 6. It's rough brick paved, so I would suggest it's very difficult to have your best PR on the bike. Getting through and out of downtown is the lowlight of this race.
5.) The run is super fast and goes through an old industrial park that they've developed. Very fast. Lots of spectating opportunities. You're running along the swim canal.

While the ride is not ideal, the race is easy and the competition is okay but significantly lower than in N. America. I'm usually in the top 25% and in Monterrey I finished in the top 13%. But the people are super passionate about triathlon and it was fun. I was shocked that there might have only been 100 Americans out of the ~2200 racers? This is a cheap race all things considered. You don't need a car at all. You don't need to stay a week. It took me longer to drive to my local airport (SAT) than it did to fly there.

Oh ya, don't use a disc wheel, it was incredibly windy for us- at least high teens, I thought above 20 mph coming in from the side. I rode on 30's and was fighting the wind the entire time I was on the freeway.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1. It was a great race and a really nice city, too -- one of the wealthiest in Mexico. The surrounding mountains are beautiful. Much easier to get to than Cozumel, too, if you're looking at Mexico races. And I agree: no need to stay around for too many days. Get in, get situated, race, and depart.

The swim: awesome and definitely a PR course.
Bike: agree, but the roads are mostly pretty wide so I didn't have any problems.
Run: very fast and enjoyable with excellent support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! I was thinking the narrow "river" for the swim might make it hard to pass during the swim as you catch the slower waves ahead but sounds like that was not an issue for you.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM Monterrey 70.3 Swim and Bike Inquiry [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im heading to Monterrey for business in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if sections of the rivers were open for swimming?
Or any aquatic centers in Monterrey?

Thanks.
Sylvain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said there were cobblestones. How much cobblestones? l am thinking of doing this race next year.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Monterrey 70.3 Swim and Bike Inquiry [bubbahhi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears they've modified the course for 2016 and the terrible cobble-stone road section connecting the inner Macroplaza loop to the freeway has been removed... thank God... smart move, somebody was paying attention:

http://www.ironmanmonterrey.com/img/Bike_Course_2016_g.jpg

However, that inner loop is going to look/feel like this for a few miles on every lap around the Microplaza:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.665217,-100.310256,3a,75y,356.81h,67.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjl6bhopg10UemAwfirZ-mA!2e0

That appears to be the logistical sacrifice made to bridge the fun and exciting Macroplaza with the wide open Constitution (Constitucion) Freeway. What speed you give up on the bike there will probably be regained on the uber-fast swim and run.

I say go for it!

Quote Reply