Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out?
Quote | Reply
IM Maryland racers... what did you think of this race?? How quickly do folks think it will sell out for 2015?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [jvgpfeifle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jvgpfeifle wrote:
IM Maryland racers... what did you think of this race?? How quickly do folks think it will sell out for 2015?

Thanks!

I'd guess it won't. With Louisville and Chattanooga both within a month, I'll bet only Chattanooga sells out among the three. But that is pure speculation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the course yesterday. Couldn't have asked for better weather and the atmosphere was a lot of fun. Could tell the locals were happy to have the race there. Spectators were into it and the main parts of the run course were lined with people. The volunteers were some of the best I've experienced at any race.

Swim felt fast but it looks like most times were slow 5+ minutes. To me it looked like the buoys curved in between turns. Little tough at points but the swim start process allowed for some great drafting in the water...marathon style start.

Bike is obviously fast and flat. Tough to stay aero that long but it is a nice course. Drafters were out in full force and I maybe saw 1 marshall the entire bike.

Run got a little crowded and the 3 loops were tough on the mind. Finish strip was a lot of fun running down that brick road.

I'll likely do it again eventually. I highly doubt it's anywhere near selling out for 2015. I'm not sure how many race Saturday but it couldn't have been more than 1,700 and I'm sure WTC would like to cram 2,500 onto that course if the demand was there. I believe I heard Maryland was the most represented state and there were a lot of of first timers out there. I talked to a few that really hadn't trained properly for the distance. Based on that I'm thinking there will be even less demand for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Coley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any conversation about changing any portion of the course for next year?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Coley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coley wrote:
I really enjoyed the course yesterday. Couldn't have asked for better weather and the atmosphere was a lot of fun. Could tell the locals were happy to have the race there. Spectators were into it and the main parts of the run course were lined with people. The volunteers were some of the best I've experienced at any race.

Swim felt fast but it looks like most times were slow 5+ minutes. To me it looked like the buoys curved in between turns. Little tough at points but the swim start process allowed for some great drafting in the water...marathon style start.

Bike is obviously fast and flat. Tough to stay aero that long but it is a nice course. Drafters were out in full force and I maybe saw 1 marshall the entire bike.

Run got a little crowded and the 3 loops were tough on the mind. Finish strip was a lot of fun running down that brick road.

I'll likely do it again eventually. I highly doubt it's anywhere near selling out for 2015. I'm not sure how many race Saturday but it couldn't have been more than 1,700 and I'm sure WTC would like to cram 2,500 onto that course if the demand was there. I believe I heard Maryland was the most represented state and there were a lot of of first timers out there. I talked to a few that really hadn't trained properly for the distance. Based on that I'm thinking there will be even less demand for next year.

That bike seemed ridiculously fast...Some of my friends were saying that the tailwind was absolutely awesome through 80 miles, or so. Too bad about drafters.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race also yesterday, it is a great race for first timers and anyone looking for a PR.

Lots of good things to say, some opportunities for improvement also. Like everyone else the swim was long but course was very well set up, not confusing at all for the two lap system. I liked the rolling start, while not a mass start it is pretty close to it. Transitions were well organized, all typical WTC standard.

Bike course was flat and fast on very nice roads. Other then a few sections there were no cars on the road. Aid stations seemed understaffed (didn't use them). Very few intersections or turns so your legs will experience the same thing like riding on a trainer. Run had lots of spectators but this is a small town, so if everybody comes out there still won't be huge numbers of people. You can't compare it to, say, Wisconsin. But enough to have a great atmosphere. Aid stations here seemed again understaffed also and weren't set up consistently. Sometimes water was in the beginning, next time at the end, next time in the middle, etc. loved the finish chute, location at Long Wharf is pretty spectacular. All volunteers did the very best they could, my sense overall was this being a first IM they got it 95% right and just have some smaller things to take care of to make it perfect by the time it becomes a sell out event.

I think this race will be a great alternative to Florida, people will quickly realize there's a new fast 'easy' race on the calendar and jump on it.

Quote | Reply
Big issue with this race is lack of hotel rooms. There are not very many rooms in the town and surrounding towns. Even with 1700 racers many had to stay 35+ minutes away.

If you want to sign up for this race for next year, find a room asap.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
jvgpfeifle wrote:

Thanks!

I'd guess it won't. With Louisville and Chattanooga both within a month, I'll bet only Chattanooga sells out among the three. But that is pure speculation.

Not to hijack the thread, but why would Chatt sell out when Lou did not? The big draw for Chatt was the time of year, I would think. Now, Chatt and Lou are practically identical. Both are at the same time of the year, and feature down river swims, fairly easy courses compared to the "Northern summer" races (Placid, MT, Muskoka), and are in mid sized southern cities with a lot of stuff to do while you are there. Lou is still open. So, by the way is every Ironman scheduled in North America next year. I am still shocked Wisconsin is open (because of Muskoka?), and MT is still open (because of Muskoka?). Also, Chatt sold out last year before Maryland was announced. Bottom line, the days of IM sell outs,or at least immediate sell outs, are over. Which is a great thing for triathletes because now we have choices...and the time to make them. Of course, it will be interesting to see how many of these races are still around in 5 years as numbers continue to decline (and they are declining)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
deh20 wrote:
jvgpfeifle wrote:

Thanks!

Not to hijack the thread, but why would Chatt sell out when Lou did not? The big draw for Chatt was the time of year, I would think. Now, Chatt and Lou are practically identical. Both are at the same time of the year, and feature down river swims, fairly easy courses compared to the "Northern summer" races (Placid, MT, Muskoka), and are in mid sized southern cities with a lot of stuff to do while you are there. Lou is still open. So, by the way is every Ironman scheduled in North America next year. I am still shocked Wisconsin is open (because of Muskoka?), and MT is still open (because of Muskoka?). Also, Chatt sold out last year before Maryland was announced. Bottom line, the days of IM sell outs,or at least immediate sell outs, are over. Which is a great thing for triathletes because now we have choices...and the time to make them. Of course, it will be interesting to see how many of these races are still around in 5 years as numbers continue to decline (and they are declining)

Again, just speculation, but there is a huge buzz around Chattanooga in the Southeast. Also the aura of such a fast sellout lest year will have (I think) people signing up immediately even if they're on the fence. But then again, it's sponsored by (gasp) Little Debbie and the bike course is an impossible 116 miles...

My bet: 8 days from now, IMChoo 2015 will be sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

It's already > 50% sold out. So my guess is it'll sell out the first day they open Online registration.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

Quote:

It's already > 50% sold out. So my guess is it'll sell out the first day they open Online registration.

Not true.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Sep 21, 14 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Ironman.

The swim was slow (maybe 10 minutes) with the varying currents and chop, but that is what you get when you swim in the Choptank.

Bike course is blistering fast under the right conditions, which we had yesterday. Mentally and physically it is hard to stage aero for 112 miles. I saw no draft packs (unlike at Eagleman) but I am a very slow swimmer and a strong biker and passed a ton of people. However every penalty tent was packed with people.

The three-loop run worked well with lots of chances to see family and friends. Maybe with 2,500 racers (1,500 this year) it could be a problem.

I thought that all the volunteers were great. The town on Cambridge seems very happy to have the race. Hotels are very limited but lots of rental houses available. And even a place 30 miles away is a quick drive.

Next year the races moves to two weeks later in the year. I worry about the weather as the weather starts to transition to Fall in October. It could be very pleasant or cold & wet. I once raced Half Full in Columbia and it was nasty cold and wet.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [kev7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. My guess is that Maryland sells out pretty quickly and Chattanooga stays open. The reason it say this is the flat run/bike in Maryland with a full 17 hours which I think will really appeal to first timers.

Also crab cakes make an excellent celebration meal :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [kev7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any Garmin files you can post?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
That's interesting. My guess is that Maryland sells out pretty quickly and Chattanooga stays open. The reason it say this is the flat run/bike in Maryland with a full 17 hours which I think will really appeal to first timers.

Also crab cakes make an excellent celebration meal :-)

While you make an excellent crab cake argument (how many crabcakes = 1 Ironman of calories?), You forget the allure of a current-assisted swim at Chattanooga! Triathletes hate nothing more than swimming...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone know about roll down spots?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
anyone know about roll down spots?
Not a single one rolled down.

Quote | Reply
Most had one slot, a couple with two and no roll downs
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Big issue with this race is lack of hotel rooms. There are not very many rooms in the town and surrounding towns. Even with 1700 racers many had to stay 35+ minutes away.

If you want to sign up for this race for next year, find a room asap.

Seems to handle the 2500+ people for Eagleman

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many other athletes I talked with this morning did not believe there were many sections with a favorable tailwind on the bike. Most were complaining about the headwinds from miles 40-55 and 85-100 (or somewhere along those lines). Also, felt like a crosswind the entire ride.

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of drafting on the bike course. With it being so flat, I thought there'd be plenty. Next year, if there are twice as many athletes, the drafting may be more of an issue.

If you look at the swim times, there were a lot of 1:09 and up, even among the top folks. It was definitely slow. I was about 12 minutes slower than normal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how would you guys rate this course as a first time?

I am up in the air about signing up for my first full. This year will be completed my 2nd full year of triathlon. will have 4 halfs under my belt after augusta next week.

only fear is the volume and time of training. for those of you who have experienced the training many times, at what point does time commitment really become a very large component as far as months prior to race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Many other athletes I talked with this morning did not believe there were many sections with a favorable tailwind on the bike. Most were complaining about the headwinds from miles 40-55 and 85-100 (or somewhere along those lines). Also, felt like a crosswind the entire ride.

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of drafting on the bike course. With it being so flat, I thought there'd be plenty. Next year, if there are twice as many athletes, the drafting may be more of an issue.

If you look at the swim times, there were a lot of 1:09 and up, even among the top folks. It was definitely slow. I was about 12 minutes slower than normal.

Temp was high 70's. Got into low 80's by most people's second lap. Winds were 8mph out of the east during the bike. Roughly 25% headwind, 25% tailwind, and 50% crosswinds yesterday (headwinds from miles you indicated). I biked one lap during the morning before the race (about 45min in front of the lead). Course was well marked. There is hardly ever any motor traffic out there (I bike it at least once a week, usually twice) so that is a plus. No technical turns and very few turns period. With that, winds can get mid 20mph gusting over 30mph easy. Temps have also been mid to high 90's easily during this time. As with any race, atmospherics play a big part on the speed.

50:05 was first out of water. He is a 50 minute swimmer. He had no issues and hit his time. 14 of the top 28 males were under 1:09. Not sure what you define as "top folks". I am not saying it was fast, but it was a manageable swim course from what gathered. It was a race with a high number of first-timers. Maybe this has something to do with slower times perhaps? Maybe it has to do with being so close to Kona, those age-groupers are in final prep for the WC and not at this one (also why no roll downs). With the easterly winds though, it would be hurting you as you went towards the bridge. On the flip side, it would be helping you come back to shore. I did not look at the tide chart so?

Drafting: after my ride (finishes in the middle of the lap box the racers were doing) I was driving home on the headwind section of the course. Only saw one pack of about 20 people working together. Real close together. Near the front so I assume this isn't their first rodeo. They know who they are because I politely encouraged them to play by the rules. Yes, that was me yelling at you to quit drafting. If they believe they were not drafting I can play the video my wife got of them for 1.5-2 minutes and unleash the hounds on you. Only real drafting I saw personally from the 20 or so miles I drove of the course to get to where I was going. I do not know if any in that group got a penalty. If I cared enough I would look at the video and get their numbers and look, but to what end?

I thought as an inaugural event it was done well. I look forward to seeing it progress.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race, and there is nothing not to like about it. Other than the hotel situation perhaps. Just book in advance or get few others to rent a house.
Times were blistering. Major bragging rights on the table. I think it will sell out for 2015.
Great bike course. Nothing boring about it as some speculated prior to the race.
Run course was well market despite the three loops, so you kind of knew exactly where you were. As most of us train in similar areas, I think it was nothing unusual. How many long runs do you really do "out and back"?
Will definitely come back again (may have to to PR ever again!).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Bubulak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, everyone! Very, very informative.
Talked me into it. I signed up!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland feedback and how quickly sell out? [Bubulak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a spectator at the race and plan on signing up for 2015 (if it doesn't sell out before I can get the funds together).

Here is a video from WTC highlighting the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTG-noN6O0

I was out there with my college team University of Maryland cheering on a teammate and were thrilled to see the whole town out cheering as well. We were the group with the guy in the maryland speedo.

The bike is very flat. I did see a bunch of "groups" of riders go by but we were just past an aid station around the half way point and start of the 2nd loop so that could have contributed. The course didn't seem too crowded on bike or run but that was just from a spectators position. As a finisher of Arizona 2012 I will hopefully race this next year. Be weary of Maryland in October 2015. I'm a local and raced REV3 Half-full but the collegiate regional championship (olympic distance) that same day in 2012 and all I can say is that it can be 40-50 degrees and raining around that time in Maryland. The water ends up being warmer than the air sometimes. Just be aware of it. Still had no problem racing that day though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next