Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM MD forecast
Quote | Reply
The forecast keeps getting worse as the week goes by. Possible showers is now possible t-storms. That worries me from the perspective of how it might affect the swim. I need a full swim leg to be competitive.

I am curious: how imminent does a t-storm have to be for WTC to cancel or shorten the swim?

Can any locals give a flavor for how storms move through the area? Is it like Florida, where a violent storm can come quickly on an otherwise nice day, or is it like the Northeast where heavy storms are rare and more predictable?
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD forecast [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weather will be fine, they keep changing every 10 minutes. will be light showers by saturday morning

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
The forecast keeps getting worse as the week goes by. Possible showers is now possible t-storms. That worries me from the perspective of how it might affect the swim. I need a full swim leg to be competitive.

I am curious: how imminent does a t-storm have to be for WTC to cancel or shorten the swim?

Can any locals give a flavor for how storms move through the area? Is it like Florida, where a violent storm can come quickly on an otherwise nice day, or is it like the Northeast where heavy storms are rare and more predictable?
I suspect you might end up with a similar situation as IMMT this year, when the forecast called for thunderstorms starting some point early morning and the predicted time kept moving back and forth as we got closer to the event. WTC gave the following scenarios:

1. all is good at 7am --> full race start
2. If there was fog over the lake, the race would be postponed by one hour. This would automatically cut the swim distance in half as well.
3. If there were thunderstorms and lightning or if there was no improvement after a 1h delay, the swim would be canceled.

Fingers crossed you have a full and safe swim. Choptank can be very rough - when I dropped my bike off the day before the race in 2014 the water was very choppy. On race day morning it ended up being totally calm.

I will keep saying that nobody should underestimate this race as this location can be very sensitive towards the weather. 2014 the weather was perfect but a windy day can make this a really difficult event. We shouldn't expect that signing up for IMMD means you'll automatically PR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The forecast may be bad, but I bet the weather will be better than last year!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Last edited by: GT: Sep 28, 16 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD forecast [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for this!

This years weather looks like a dream compared to last year. It was in the 30s and gusting 30mph winds at race start (which was delayed).

Weather changes frequently around there. Check back Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bigger problem may be flooding. The D.C. area is getting pounded with rain for the next 24-36 hours. The forecast for the Eastern Shore is about 2". The roads are so flat and low lying they can take a long time to drain if they do flood. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it's a bigger risk than whatever happens on race day itself.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD forecast [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 2008 when it was independent. Major rainstorm that day and there was a section of road that was under two feet of water. Actually fish on the course. I almost learned this the hard way - do not go into the standing water at a high speed - almost went over the handlebars. On second loop after learning that lesson I came to an almost complete stop when entering the deep water and then pedaled like crazy once I entered the deep water. Also carry lots of extra tubes and be ready for quick tire change - lots of little shells and the rain washed them onto the road - there were a bunch of flats including me and unfortunately I was on tubulars. Water can get very rough too. Still an awesome location for a race and even though when I did it there were challenging conditions due to the hard rain it was one of my favorite races ever - don't panic, just prepare for the rainy conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD forecast [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
+1 for this!

This years weather looks like a dream compared to last year. It was in the 30s and gusting 30mph winds at race start (which was delayed).

Weather changes frequently around there. Check back Friday.

Not to mention the whole hurricane thing.

Looks like it is heading towards thunderstorms in the morning. I hope that changes and everyone can enjoy a great race. It is a wonderful area and a good group of people up there!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 lightweight babyyy it ain't nothin but a peanut !!! see you on race day fam
Quote Reply