Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Legacy
Quote | Reply
If anyone thinks they have a chance at IM Legacy at 12 completed good luck. Its now 14.

Although you were not selected for participation in the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship, you are guaranteed selection for the 2019 program provided you maintain your eligibility by following the five steps below:

1. You will need to complete an IRONMAN (140.6) race in 2017;
2. You will need to complete an IRONMAN (140.6) race in 2018;
3. You will need to register for an IRONMAN (140.6) race that takes place in 2019

however, there is potential that you could be selected for 2018

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Last edited by: DFWTri: Mar 2, 17 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know 2 people that got in this year with 12 finishes and one with around 18 or so. This was all 3 of their first years to try to get in via the Legacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will have my 8th this year and was shooting for Legacy. At this rate I will probably just forget about it and make a new goal. I can't keep giving these people money forever.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how does that math work out?? Surely the others from last year that didnt get in were first in line, so that means the rest of us who didnt get in are first in line for next year i thought.

Must mean there were < 200 from last year who rolled over and more than 200 left who didnt get in this year?

I can understand not getting in on first attempt but dear god if i got the 2nd let down that didnt get in, that is too much, i'm out on it.

2016:
IMFL #12
Last edited by: DFWTri: Mar 2, 17 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And some feel folks paying 50K for a spot on Ebay is expensive. If one adds up the cost for 14 IM's, with all expenses, even minus training costs, it has to be a few bucks?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shitty...

Not the first I've seen (or heard) of this happening to someone with 12 IMs and meeting the criteria.
I think that once you've hit the legacy requirements, you should not have to continue to do 140.6s until your turn pops up...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up to now i always heard those who didnt get in were told it was guaranteed they get in the next year if they met the req of doing the one they signed up for that year.

On the plus side it seems 200 is more than i heard were getting slots in the past just hard to believe even if they upped to 200 you are having 200+ not getting in.

Anyways i asked IM for more clarification on why its not guaranteed for next year if its a waiting list, only assumption is > 200 didnt get in this year.

2016:
IMFL #12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To celebrate turning 50 I completed my first 140.6 at IMLOU this past October. So AT LEAST 14 more to go. I'm going to crush the M65-69 AG in 2032!

Of course by then I'm sure I'd be into this hobby by over $100,000 so maybe I should just buck up and hire a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
I will have my 8th this year and was shooting for Legacy. At this rate I will probably just forget about it and make a new goal. I can't keep giving these people money forever.

So the only reason you do it is for the Legacy spot? I'm doing #11 next month and if they killed the program outright this year, I would still have at least 4 more to go to finish off my personal bucket list. I want to do Kona only because it is the WC event...without that I would never choose that venue. If it happens then great, if not I won't lose any sleep or have any regrets.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

So the only reason you do it is for the Legacy spot? I'm doing #11 next month and if they killed the program outright this year, I would still have at least 4 more to go to finish off my personal bucket list. I want to do Kona only because it is the WC event...without that I would never choose that venue. If it happens then great, if not I won't lose any sleep or have any regrets.

The funny thing is that for the person hell bent on banging out 14-15 IM's to get a legacy slot and depending on what races they choose (travel expenses and all that), just buying an Ebay charity slot would arguably be less expensive.

15 IM registrations at $750 each = $11,250
15 flights at $600 each = $9,000
15 airline bike fees at $150-$200 each way = $4,500-$6,000 (and something like TriBike Transport really isn't much cheaper)
15 five night hotel stays at $150/night = $11,250

So that's over $35,000 right there and that's not including food during your trips or rental cars or whatever you'll spend money on at the race. Then there's the cost of training for 15 races (nutrition, bike maintenance, gear, massages, or whatever). There's also the physical, mental, and emotional cost of slogging through 15 Ironman races and training over the course of xx number of years.

Now certainly things could be cheaper if an IM happens to be local or within driving distance or whatever. It could also be more expensive. Flights can certainly cost more than $600, especially if you bring family. Hotels can certainly cost more than $150/night, and so on.

Ebay charity slots go for around $40,000. I can guarantee that I would have spent way more than $40,000 if I chased after 15 IM finishes. Guaranteed. That's only about $2,700 worth of expenses per race.

But nobody thinks about it that way.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

The funny thing is that for the person hell bent on banging out 14-15 IM's to get a legacy slot and depending on what races they choose (travel expenses and all that), just buying an Ebay charity slot would arguably be less expensive.

15 airline bike fees at $150-$200 each way = $4,500-$6,000 (and something like TriBike Transport really isn't much cheaper)

So that's over $35,000 right there and that's not including food during your trips or rental cars or whatever you'll spend money on at the race. Then there's the cost of training for 15 races (nutrition, bike maintenance, gear, massages, or whatever). There's also the physical, mental, and emotional cost of slogging through 15 Ironman races and training over the course of xx number of years.

Now certainly things could be cheaper if an IM happens to be local or within driving distance or whatever. It could also be more expensive. Flights can certainly cost more than $600, especially if you bring family. Hotels can certainly cost more than $150/night, and so on.

Ebay charity slots go for around $40,000. I can guarantee that I would have spent way more than $40,000 if I chased after 15 IM finishes. Guaranteed. That's only about $2,700 worth of expenses per race.

And how many chasing 15 end up hurt before they ever get close to the goal? Or divorced? Or, ... Most I would guess.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

That's the luxury way. If I really wanted to do things on the cheap, I could spend way less than what you propose.
1) registration - 11k$
2) you can drive to most races - $1000 in gas max, especially if I sign up for races that are within 500 miles
3) bike transport - 0. Since I'm driving, it costs nothing to carry it.
4) hotel - $60/night x 3 nights is $120x15 is $2500. I could go really primal here and sleep in my car. I have no problems doing it with the back seats folded down and my sleeping bag.
5) food - $500
That's less than $15k for 15 races.
The truth is somewhere in the middle though but I've never spent 5 nights at a race. Flights are typically ~ 350$ and bike transport is in my own bike bag at $25 checking for a bag.

One other note is that by paying a lump sum of $40k vs over 10-15 years is that you're missing the opportunity cost of earning Miney on that $40k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

That's because you're ignoring the stand-alone value of doing all those races. People were spending all that money long before the Legacy Lottery was even a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

That's the luxury way. If I really wanted to do things on the cheap, I could spend way less than what you propose.
1) registration - 11k$
2) you can drive to most races - $1000 in gas max, especially if I sign up for races that are within 500 miles
4) hotel - $60/night x 3 nights is $120x15 is $2500. I could go really primal here and sleep in my car. I have no problems doing it with the back seats folded down and my sleeping bag.
5) food - $500
The truth is somewhere in the middle though but I've never spent 5 nights at a race. Flights are typically ~ 350$ and bike transport is in my own bike bag at $25 checking for a bag.

One other note is that by paying a lump sum of $40k vs over 10-15 years is that you're missing the opportunity cost of earning Miney on that $40k

Driving is totally dependent on where one lives. If you're mid Atlantic that might be an option. If you're anywhere west of the Mississippi there might be one race within 500 miles but that's about it. I live in the second most populated state and fourth most populated city in the country and there's one IM race within 700 miles of me (IMTX). So unless I were to do IMTX for 15 years straight I would need to fly to other destinations (although I have driven the 11 hours to IMFL and it sucked a lot driving back).

Hotel... what places are you staying for $60/night? I'm admittedly a bit of a hotel snob but isn't $60 at the Motel 6 level of shittiness? To each their own I guess. At places like Mont-Tremblant you can barely get breakfast for $60 let alone a room. The average price for hotels in the USA is over $130/night, and certainly higher at places that host IM events.

I'm a CPA so I get the time value of money.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

1) registration - 11k$
5) food - $500

Driving is totally dependent on where one lives. If you're mid Atlantic that might be an option. If you're anywhere west of the Mississippi there might be one race within 500 miles but that's about it. I live in the second most populated state and fourth most populated city in the country and there's one IM race within 700 miles of me (IMTX). So unless I were to do IMTX for 15 years straight I would need to fly to other destinations (although I have driven the 11 hours to IMFL and it sucked a lot driving back).

Hotel... what places are you staying for $60/night? I'm admittedly a bit of a hotel snob but isn't $60 at the Motel 6 level of shittiness? To each their own I guess. At places like Mont-Tremblant you can barely get breakfast for $60 let alone a room. The average price for hotels in the USA is over $130/night, and certainly higher at places that host IM events.

I hear you. I was just pointing out that if there is a will, there is a way to do it cheap. I was just pointing you the other extreme. You don't always have to stay in the city of the IM. You can always find a quality inn or something an hour or 2 away and just drive to the race on the morning of. There are lots of ways. Like I said, the answer is somewhere in the middle.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

That's because you're ignoring the stand-alone value of doing all those races. People were spending all that money long before the Legacy Lottery was even a thing.

Here is another thought! Maybe people just like to swim, bike, and run, love racing, and the legacy program is just a byproduct of doing something you love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

1) registration - 11k$
5) food - $500

Greater seattle area. Quick drive to CdA and Whistler, longer drive or quick cheap flight to Boulder and Arizona. Tahoe is gone, is there another 140.6 in NorCal now?

I've got 16 and have never applied for legacy. If someone wants to borrow some of mine...

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received the same email. See you there in 2019 DFWTri.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received the same one as well. IM Arizona in 2016 was #12 for me and I applied a couple of days later.

Santa Rosa 2017, TBD-2018, Kona 2019
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, Dave! Shall we insinuate that short course athletes never get hurt, or never get divorced? That volume, not intensity is a greater contributor to injury?

There is no doubt that there are people doing IMs only to get to Kona. Some are banging out 3 - 4 a year to get there. I'm content with just one a year, but those are races I want to do in their own right; and I get a lot of value out of those races and the vacations that I tag onto them. I suspect most who do a lot of IMs feel the same way...which is why many folks do not stop doing them after they've done IM Hawaii.

As to e-bay; if you could buy your way into Kona (entry fee only) for $2K ... double this year's entry fee, I would not pay it. But for $1K, as a side attraction to visiting the big island -- a twofer if you will -- then I'll go. Meanwhile, I will continue to compete and ENJOY long course racing ... no need to chase anything because it will come in due course anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Thom wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Here is another thought! Maybe people just like to swim, bike, and run, love racing, and the legacy program is just a byproduct of doing something you love.

^THIS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone just started an IM Legacy page on FB - bunch of crazy posts about people trying to knock out 12+ IMs in like 3-4 years. I just don't get why people would crush themselves to get 12+ IMs done in 3 or so years - and good god can their bodies take it???? WTF????

I've been doing tris since I was 16 (51 now) and IMs since 2004. I got 16 of them done and did get in Legacy this year - very happy.

But as someone else said - I'd be doing IMs without the legacy program - its just a very nice benefit. And the real joy has been plodding along at 1 or on occasion 2 IMs a year - enjoying the journey, particularly the training. And after my kona fun, I'll keep plodding along - being a front end MOPer - but enjoying the experience, not getting hurt (I hope) and making memories. NOT chasing some stupid number as fast as possible.

I just dont get it - but guess that does not matter -

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my attitude is a lot like yours. There have only been a couple years where I doubled, and others with no IM...tough to fit it all in when I'm racing other events equally as important to me. I know some people throwing down several IMs a year simply because they like it that much (those folks don't tend to follow dedicated IM builds); but I bet most of the ones trying to get a Legacy spot quick will be done with long course after Kona. Me? I'm kind of a BO-FOP/FO-MOP racer just doing my thing. Will get their eventually...or NOT.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reddy wrote:
bunch of crazy posts about people trying to knock out 12+ IMs in like 3-4 years. I just don't get why people would crush themselves to get 12+ IMs done in 3 or so years - and good god can their bodies take it???? WTF????

Your body can easily take 12+ IMs in 3-4 years. Hell, your body can take 12 IMS in 12 days. I don't race Ironmans, but if I did I wouldn't race Kona unless I qualified. But that's just me.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Mar 3, 17 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM Legacy [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To celebrate turning 50 I completed my first 140.6 at IMLOU this past October. So AT LEAST 14 more to go. I'm going to crush the M65-69 AG in 2032!

The bad news is that you will need at least 20 by then. The good news, you will be crushing the 70-75 age group.
Quote Reply

Prev Next