Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew
Quote | Reply
A year ago, someone started a thread like this for IM Wisconsin. It was amazingly helpful. Here's my two cents for ya'll heading to Lake Placid!

• Memorize exactly where your T-bags hang. It'll be pleasant surprise if someone handles it for you, but don't count on it. ;)
  • 80%+ will over bike lap 1. Let 'em go.
  • The first climb comes before the decent to Keene. You'll be on your bike for 112 miles, don't blow your race in the first 5!
  • The descent into Keene is wicked fast. Yes, going 40mph is fast but there'll be a guy behind you going faster! Stay to the right and keep your eyes fixed on where you want to go, not where you don't want to go!
  • The climb on Route 86 to Wilmington gets little attention but ride it too hard and you'll be toast before you even get to the long climb (Cherries and Bears) back into town. Have a pacing plan and stick to it.
  • The gradual downhill after the turnaround on Hasleton is a great place to get rid of "excess fluids" before the climb back up into town.
  • The huge crowds at the top of Papa Bear are secretly trying to get you to ride the final 1/4 mile of the climb at 150%+ FTP. Smile back, say thank you and stick to your plan!
  • 90% will run lap 1 way too fast, especially the opening downhill miles. Let them go, you'll see them later.
  • Coke is the nectar of the Ironman Gods. Drink some at any aid station that has it.
  • The last 3 miles of this run course are incredibly difficult. As you cross the bridge and start your climb back into town for the finish, plan ahead, prepare to see carnage and run right past it!
  • There is a shower in the community bathhouse at the swim start. A quick rinse and a change of clothes will make the Finish Line Party that much better, for everyone!
  • Trust your fitness. Trust your taper. Stick to your plan. Good luck.

Last edited by: MI TRI: Jul 11, 13 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent list, thanks for sharing.

I know someone who used to sit out by one of the first climbs and watch riders / positions and see those who overshot the 1st lap and were paying dearly on the 2nd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add:
-So long as you go to the outside of the turn buoys, it is perfectly legal to swim on the inside of the buoys. You'll find clear(er) water here.
-Even with the new rolling start, expect that the turn buoys and the short swim across the ends will be crowded.
-The run from the beach to transition is longer than you think. Every spectator on the planet is there yelling at you. Relax and smile, but don't sprint your way into transition
-The flats after Keene is another area where you need to control your ego. There will be lots of people and the wind will (most likely) be at your back. Steady the course as it's very easy to race.
-Look around on race day. Too much focus on the race and you'll miss the incredibly beautiful landscape available for your viewing pleasure.
-Chicken broth on the 2nd lap of the run is the nectar of the Ironman Gods. Drink some at any aid station that has it.
-The volunteers on the course are second to none. Easily the best people on the planet. Take whatever they have to give and be gracious about it.

And, most importantly,
-Don't forget to have fun

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing better than this supportive thread is the fact that Accuweather is forecasting 69 degrees and partly cloudy for race day.

Now I know exactly how silly it is to interpret a forecast as any more than a guess when it goes more than 3 or 4 days out, but it sure would be nice.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice. A fantastic course and venue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helpful, but really?? T-bags, some one handles it.....

Lol. Ok nevermind, I'm giddy, like Andersson cooper giggling like a school girl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That really is some great advice. It's so easy to run way too fast the first 8-10K. Save it for the last 5K, you'll need it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you MI TRI and Banter, good information. If I try to swim inside the bouys siting the cable, any advice on when to get over for the turn bouy? Maybe one just has to see any opportunity on race day...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Helpful, but really?? T-bags, some one handles it.....

Umm, sometimes. Especially if your out of the water early or in a lull. At the beginning of the day, the volunteers are just aching for something to do. They'll set up shop in transition, if you're lucky they'll call out your number and someone will get your t-bag off the rack. Same coming out of the transition tent. There's someone with a bullhorn shouting out numbers. If you're lucky, they'll call out yours and have your bike waiting for you in the aisle. Don't count on it. But when it happens, it's awesome.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [tridad3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridad3 wrote:
If I try to swim inside the bouys siting the cable, any advice on when to get over for the turn bouy? Maybe one just has to see any opportunity on race day...

Just merge, like on the highway. Expect that everyone will be slower, many will be vertical with their heads out of the water, and several people will be doing breaststroke. It can be a frustrating experience. Contact will be highly likely. I wish there was a method to the madness or anything I could share to make your time easier. Sorry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add this:

- There will be rain at some point on the bike, this is absorbed by the course for your second loop and allows the hills to grow a bit. Seriously, you will experience much more incline on the second loop even though it is the exact same course your just rode.

- Enjoy the swim if you can, MIrror Lake is friggen beautful

- If you can run 75% + of this course, you paced the bike pretty damn well.

- No one PR's here (at least I don't :-/ )

* On a side note, come visit me in the medical tent this year, mention "Slowtwitch" for some excellent care and lots of IV fluids!

Quote | Reply
Low hanging fruit.... I was joking about the Tea-Bagging.

I've done placid a few times, I agree with your helpful analysis. Just couldn't help myself reading about someone handling my tea-bag. I was up really early....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. Pumped for my first IM in 2.5 weeks. I think the IMLP course was designed as the ultimate ego check. Anybody who doesn't arrive respecting the course on the run AND bike will be forced to respect the course by the end. Climbs at the end of the bike AND run? You better pace it easy.

At least the swim is flat...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got it. And I laughed. Well done.

Quote | Reply
as a volunteer for the last 3 years I would say:

• Slow down a bit during the bike aid stations if you going to grab something; I have seen a fair share of accidents there...
  • Make sure u keep en eye on the road during the aid stations too... I have seen AG waving the bike from far left to the right at full speed just to grab something at the aid station.
  • If u drop or really need something at a bike aid station STOP and get it! 20sec are not the end of the world in a 10+ hour race
  • Remember that the bike aid stations are 10 miles or so apart; there is no need to carry 3 bottles of water on your bike at all time (this IMHO)
  • if it is hot (85-90F) bike STUPDLY easy... you will thank me during the second loop of the run.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [NickG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickG wrote:
I'll add this:

- There will be rain at some point on the bike, this is absorbed by the course for your second loop and allows the hills to grow a bit.

Except the year I did it when there was barely an instant when it WASN'T raining. '08 ftw.

But I stil loved the course. Had pretty much even splits on the bike loops but then again I love climbing so relished the hills. It was fun to be on a sunday cruise and still passing everyone.

Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more with what's been said so far especially the climb out of town that no one mentions. Your so jacked up to be starting the bike you don't even notice how hard you're riding.

I would also mention prepare yourself for how lonely and full of carnage the run course is once you get out of town. It's just you and all the other suffering sob's. Its easy (it was for me anyway) to fall into a deep dark place out there. The second lap in particular. If you can pace it so you're running at that point and you're a mop, you are going to feel like a god because not many are.

Every once in awhile, take a look around. It is a spectacular bike, and run course. The place is magical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I am so damn excited.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first (and so far only) Ironman at Lake Placid last year. So, I can only offer advice from my own perspective, which was: (1) a first-timer at the distance; and (2) someone with zero shot of qualifying for a Kona spot.

I not only went out slow on the bike, but I rode the whole thing as easy as I could - like I was just riding around for the scenery. I rolled into T2 with a 7:30 bike split and with my rear killing me, but it was worth it. I then ran a 4:24 marathon, negative split it even (about 2:15 and 2:09), and (no joke) passed about 700 people on the run.

It was the most incredible feeling I've ever had in racing to be 10, 15, even 20 miles into that run and actually be running, feeling great, with basically everyone in eyesight walking the downhills. And I agree with the chicken broth comment - that stuff was amazing.

Quote | Reply
Take a moment when you are on River Rd on the run course when you get past the big red barn on the left to enjoy the unbelievable view of Whiteface Mt. (especially when you get to the S-turn a little further up the road).

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [NickG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
- No one PR's here (at least I don't :-/ )

LP was the best of my 5 finishes(FL, LP, AZ, CdA, Coz).

Definitely control yourself on the bike and enjoy the scenery.

On the run try to actually run between aid stations and then walk aid stations to get all the nutrition you need -- yummy, yummy coke!

Visit the Lake Placid Brewery after the race and have a burger and a beer before coming back to cheer on the midnighters.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use the ski jump as a landmark. It's big and nice to look at but it's really not close to the end of anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [TaxAdvantage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TaxAdvantage wrote:
I did my first (and so far only) Ironman at Lake Placid last year. So, I can only offer advice from my own perspective, which was: (1) a first-timer at the distance; and (2) someone with zero shot of qualifying for a Kona spot.

I not only went out slow on the bike, but I rode the whole thing as easy as I could - like I was just riding around for the scenery. I rolled into T2 with a 7:30 bike split and with my rear killing me, but it was worth it. I then ran a 4:24 marathon, negative split it even (about 2:15 and 2:09), and (no joke) passed about 700 people on the run.

It was the most incredible feeling I've ever had in racing to be 10, 15, even 20 miles into that run and actually be running, feeling great, with basically everyone in eyesight walking the downhills. And I agree with the chicken broth comment - that stuff was amazing.

I remember reading your race report and thinking how smart this strategy was and that I would remember it for my first attempt. Well, the time is here for IMLP 2013. A quick question, what is your open marathon time?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:

On the run try to actually run between aid stations and then walk aid stations to get all the nutrition you need -- yummy, yummy coke!

I'm a Cokaholic and was looking forward to "yummy, yummy coke," but in 2010, it was generic cola instead. Kona in 2011 had real Coke. Huge difference (at least to me).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid - I wish I knew [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkoole wrote:
Don't use the ski jump as a landmark. It's big and nice to look at but it's really not close to the end of anything.

I laughed when I read this because it's absolutely true - even more so if you're trying to keep your mind off the way you're feeling. On the return leg of River Rd that thing is just looming ahead of you ... but it never gets any bigger. It's like it's moving away from you as you're running towards it. That's why I fancy the lateral scenery. It moves faster.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply

Prev Next