Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Frankfurt RR 11:23.
Quote | Reply
In 2013 I finished IM Frankfurt in 11:23:38. In 2013 it was 27C which, coming from the UK, was just about my limit for being able to still perform without overheating. I went back in 2014 for my 9th IM looking for improvement and hoping for cooler weather. I thought about doing some heat training but 2 weeks out the forecast was 23C with light rain. Perfect.

For anyone thinking of doing Frankfurt it's a fast course. The swim feels like you are in a sort of pleasant quarry. Visibility in the water is limited but the water seems pretty clean and sighting is easy. The bike has 4 small hills on each loop, and quite a few sections winding through German towns. Although the course is a nice mix of rural and urban riding, because it is relatively flat, it's not particularly scenic. The run is 4 loops around the river in the middle of Frankfurt. There are thousands of spectators on the run and although it's a 4 loop course, I didn't get bored of the course.
I stayed in Hotel Miramar which, is a 5min walk away from the finish area. In the days leading up to the race the temperature forecast just kept going up and up until I checked for the last time on the bus to the start. Final forecast 31C. F**k.

Swim: (Huub Aerious, Zoggs predator flex)
1:08
5 weeks out from Frankfurt I did 70.3 Switzerland. In Switzerland I started out way too hard in the swim, got into the middle of a melee at the first buoy, and for the first time ever in an OW race, I started hyperventilating and had to cling to a boat for a couple of minutes to clam down.
In 8 previous IM races I've never had any issues in the swim, but I was now worried about having a panic in the swim. Leading up to start I floated on my back in the lake and tried to relax. The gun went and within seconds I was in the middle of the usual sea of neoprene. There wasn't much contact but I could feel a bit of anxiety begin to surface. I made an effort to just relax and go with the flow. I took long deep breaths and found that the anxiety was being kept in check. Each time I got to a turn Buoy I got anxious, but the swim passed without incident. I didn't take any notice of my swim time as it doesn't really tell me anything. I swim according to RPE and the time is what it is.

T1
05:32
I had a bit of a struggle with my wetsuit, so I think I will invest in some body glide in future. Helmet, suglasses, number belt on. Tic Tac box with salt pills and a mini sun lotion tube into the back of my shorts.

Bike: (Planet X stealth, 404Fr, 808PT Disc cover R. Giro Advantage)
5:18 (191Np)
Leading up to the race my FTP was 285, so the plan was to ride at 200-205NP. As soon as I started the bike I settled into my target watts and aero position. I started to pass other athletes straight away and made steady progress for the first 20-30km. At this point there seemed to be a lot of bunching up on the course and the road was blocked by groups of cyclists riding 4 abreast with no place to pass. I put the hammer down to pass a couple of the groups, but would just find myself behind another one. I didn't want to cross the white line or keep pushing FTP watts just to get past the groups, so I hung back 7-10m off the group ahead of me. Even at 10m behind a big group the daft is significant so I was sort of caught in no mans land with a choice of either doing a series of FTP intervals or cruising in Z1 pace behind a group. I opted for the Z1 pace and just tried to stay the legal distance and wait for the field to thin out. After another 10km a few marshals came by and started busting the groups for drafting. After a load of cards being shown and gesticulating unhappy athletes, the groups began to disperse and I could once again make progress. I could already feel how hot it was on the bike so I made sure to keep drinking lots of water and popping the salt pills. My nutrition plan was for 325cal/hour. One bottle of 350cal for the first hour and then a concentrated bottle of 1,300cal for the next 4 hours. I kept on top of the calories and kept pounding the water. I was drinking so much fluid to counter the heat that my stomach would bloat out for 20min, gradually go down before I pounded down a load more. I didn't piss once on the bike which, considering how much I was drinking, told me how hot it was.
After 4 hours on the bike my concentrated bottle of calories got so warm, I just couldn't face any more of it. I chucked what was left and switched to cold coke from the course. At about 100miles or so I started to get seriously fed up with being on the bike. For me the last 10-12 miles on the bike just sucks. By that stage I've had enough and just want to get off the damn thing. I could see the high rise buildings of Frankfurt in the near distance, but they just never seemed to get any closer. At the bike finish I was a little disappointed to have only pushed 191watts when I knew I was capable of 200-205. Some of that was the problems with the bike packs, and some of it is just that I need to push a bit harder.

T2
1:55
I saw the race director in the change tent and asked him to organise some rain. Sadly he let me down. ( Please note WTC, your race directors should be able to change the weather )

Run
4:49
As soon as I started the run I knew I was in trouble. I was overheating and in survival mode right from the start. At the first aid station I grabbed all the ice I could. I put it down my top, down my shorts, in my mouth, on my head and held ice cubes in my hands. It still wasn't enough. I was overheating and I resigned myself to a death shuffle to the end. I was just managing to jog from aid station to aid station. The run in Frankfurt is 4 laps and every lap seemed to get hotter. On the last lap I was running away from the sun, and I could feel the sun cooking my ass in my black shorts!! I thought about jumping in the river to cool off, but had visions of being swept off downstream. I looked at my watch and could see that sub 11hrs was gone, but beating my time from last year was a possibility. The closer I got to the finish, the closer it got to being able to beat last years time. As I got to the finish shute I was within seconds of beating my time. I began to sprint, and just gave it all I had to the finish. I couldn't see the clock as I finished, but figured it must have been close.

After getting a shower, some food and a beer, I went over to get my medal engraved. When I got it back I looked long and hard at the time. It seemed very familiar. I got my phone out of my bag and looked up my time from last year. Here is what I found:

IM Frankfurt 2013: 11:23:38
IM Frankfurt 2014: 11:23:38

I'll be going back next year to Frankfurt but first I'm doing IM W.Australia. I'll be doing some serious heat training for that one.

Will
Last edited by: Barlow: Aug 4, 14 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice report Will! You're not the only one who was struggling from the start of the run, I had to change my strategy to a run-walk the aid stations almost right away. The good thing is that I really learned to appreciate ice cubes, melting gold!

By the way, I finished Mallorca 70.3 this year in exactly the same time as in 2013, to the second, so also here you're not alone with your consistent performance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear from a fellow athlete and also good to hear I wasn't the only one who felt the heat! There was a guy with a hose pipe with cold water at one of the aid stations, I owe that guy a few beers. ;-)

Also, did you notice something nice about the Red bull station? I don't like red bull, and I didn't drink any in the race but I always looked froward to the Red bull aid station if you know what I mean? ;-)

haha, it's a funny feeling when you get the exact same time.

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I know what you mean. I think out of courtesy I accepted one cup of Red Bull (although I couldn't bear to drink it). It was nice to have something to look out to every lap.

The run course was absolutely brilliant, plenty of aid stations and crowds everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report Barlow, i felt the heat too!! It was horrible

I have done IMWA, one year it was boiling hot on the run, the next year it was very very pleasant so my run time was also 20 mins faster! Hope you have a good one! Watch out for those sharks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I hear the sharks don't like the taste of the English?

How did you find the bike course in IMWA compared to Frankfurt?

Also how did the hot race in IMWA compare to Frankfurt? Was it hotter, different kind of heat (humid, dry etc)

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
In 2013 I finished IM Frankfurt in 11:23:38. In 2013 it was 27C which, coming from the UK, was just about my limit for being able to still perform without overheating. I went back in 2014 for my 9th IM looking for improvement and hoping for cooler weather. I thought about doing some heat training but 2 weeks out the forecast was 23C with light rain. Perfect.

For anyone thinking of doing Frankfurt it's a fast course. The swim feels like you are in a sort of pleasant quarry. Visibility in the water is limited but the water seems pretty clean and sighting is easy. The bike has 4 small hills on each loop, and quite a few sections winding through German towns. Although the course is a nice mix of rural and urban riding, because it is relatively flat, it's not particularly scenic. The run is 4 loops around the river in the middle of Frankfurt. There are thousands of spectators on the run and although it's a 4 loop course, I didn't get bored of the course.
I stayed in Hotel Miramar which, is a 5min walk away from the finish area. In the days leading up to the race the temperature forecast just kept going up and up until I checked for the last time on the bus to the start. Final forecast 31C. F**k.

Swim: (Huub Aerious, Zoggs predator flex)
1:08
5 weeks out from Frankfurt I did 70.3 Switzerland. In Switzerland I started out way too hard in the swim, got into the middle of a melee at the first buoy, and for the first time ever in an OW race, I started hyperventilating and had to cling to a boat for a couple of minutes to clam down.
In 8 previous IM races I've never had any issues in the swim, but I was now worried about having a panic in the swim. Leading up to start I floated on my back in the lake and tried to relax. The gun went and within seconds I was in the middle of the usual sea of neoprene. There wasn't much contact but I could feel a bit of anxiety begin to surface. I made an effort to just relax and go with the flow. I took long deep breaths and found that the anxiety was being kept in check. Each time I got to a turn Buoy I got anxious, but the swim passed without incident. I didn't take any notice of my swim time as it doesn't really tell me anything. I swim according to RPE and the time is what it is.

T1
05:32
I had a bit of a struggle with my wetsuit, so I think I will invest in some body glide in future. Helmet, suglasses, number belt on. Tic Tac box with salt pills and a mini sun lotion tube into the back of my shorts.

Bike: (Planet X stealth, 404Fr, 808PT Disc cover R. Giro Advantage)
5:18 (191Np)
Leading up to the race my FTP was 285, so the plan was to ride at 200-205NP. As soon as I started the bike I settled into my target watts and aero position. I started to pass other athletes straight away and made steady progress for the first 20-30km. At this point there seemed to be a lot of bunching up on the course and the road was blocked by groups of cyclists riding 4 abreast with no place to pass. I put the hammer down to pass a couple of the groups, but would just find myself behind another one. I didn't want to cross the white line or keep pushing FTP watts just to get past the groups, so I hung back 7-10m off the group ahead of me. Even at 10m behind a big group the daft is significant so I was sort of caught in no mans land with a choice of either doing a series of FTP intervals or cruising in Z1 pace behind a group. I opted for the Z1 pace and just tried to stay the legal distance and wait for the field to thin out. After another 10km a few marshals came by and started busting the groups for drafting. After a load of cards being shown and gesticulating unhappy athletes, the groups began to disperse and I could once again make progress. I could already feel how hot it was on the bike so I made sure to keep drinking lots of water and popping the salt pills. My nutrition plan was for 325cal/hour. One bottle of 350cal for the first hour and then a concentrated bottle of 1,300cal for the next 4 hours. I kept on top of the calories and kept pounding the water. I was drinking so much fluid to counter the heat that my stomach would bloat out for 20min, gradually go down before I pounded down a load more. I didn't piss once on the bike which, considering how much I was drinking, told me how hot it was.
After 4 hours on the bike my concentrated bottle of calories got so warm, I just couldn't face any more of it. I chucked what was left and switched to cold coke from the course. At about 100miles or so I started to get seriously fed up with being on the bike. For me the last 10-12 miles on the bike just sucks. By that stage I've had enough and just want to get off the damn thing. I could see the high rise buildings of Frankfurt in the near distance, but they just never seemed to get any closer. At the bike finish I was a little disappointed to have only pushed 191watts when I knew I was capable of 200-205. Some of that was the problems with the bike packs, and some of it is just that I need to push a bit harder.

T2
1:55
I saw the race director in the change tent and asked him to organise some rain. Sadly he let me down. ( Please note WTC, your race directors should be able to change the weather )

Run
4:49
As soon as I started the run I knew I was in trouble. I was overheating and in survival mode right from the start. At the first aid station I grabbed all the ice I could. I put it down my top, down my shorts, in my mouth, on my head and held ice cubes in my hands. It still wasn't enough. I was overheating and I resigned myself to a death shuffle to the end. I was just managing to jog from aid station to aid station. The run in Frankfurt is 4 laps and every lap seemed to get hotter. On the last lap I was running away from the sun, and I could feel the sun cooking my ass in my black shorts!! I thought about jumping in the river to cool off, but had visions of being swept off downstream. I looked at my watch and could see that sub 11hrs was gone, but beating my time from last year was a possibility. The closer I got to the finish, the closer it got to being able to beat last years time. As I got to the finish shute I was within seconds of beating my time. I began to sprint, and just gave it all I had to the finish. I couldn't see the clock as I finished, but figured it must have been close.

After getting a shower, some food and a beer, I went over to get my medal engraved. When I got it back I looked long and hard at the time. It seemed very familiar. I got my phone out of my bag and looked up my time from last year. Here is what I found:

IM Frankfurt 2013: 11:23:38
IM Frankfurt 2014: 11:23:38

I'll be going back next year to Frankfurt but first I'm doing IM W.Australia. I'll be doing some serious heat training for that one.

Will

Wow...1 year passed and you did not even slow down by a second even with the heat. Well done. i feel the pain on the marathon leg. Other than that, your swim and bike split from Frankfurt and mine from my recent IM were identical! Oh...and the part of being seriously fed up of the bike at 100 miles....you've done 9 Ironmans...by now you know that when we hit 100 miles, you say, "Get me the f&*k off this stupid saddle and out of the aero position...I'll even run a friggin marathon....I'll do anything to get off this thing"....and then 10k into the marathon you say, "Did I really say I wanted to trade off coasting off the bike for this death march"....but this is why we keep coming back to the trough...for that perfect day where you blow through 100 miles and are passing guys to T2 feeling strong and repeat the same for the last 10 miles of the run.

Good luck at IM Western Aus. i am seriously thinking about the Frankfurt + Alpe d'Huez double for a future year. Too bad that the order is the wrong way (would rather do the shorter event first). Perhaps we can lure you over for IM Whistler too. It is a direct flight from Heathrow to Vancouver and then a 1.5 hour shuttle to the resort and a great vacation option.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you set up a little stand to buy bikes off people as they enter T2 I recon you could get some really good deals. ;-)

If you liked IM Nice, then you would love Alpe D'Huez tri.

I really like the idea of IM Whistler (I agree the IM Canada name doesn't fit that race). Maybe I'll make the trip one of these days. Now if they moved the race to the start of April and I could get to Ski Whistler for a week before doing the IM . . . .

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
If you set up a little stand to buy bikes off people as they enter T2 I recon you could get some really good deals. ;-)

If you liked IM Nice, then you would love Alpe D'Huez tri.

I really like the idea of IM Whistler (I agree the IM Canada name doesn't fit that race). Maybe I'll make the trip one of these days. Now if they moved the race to the start of April and I could get to Ski Whistler for a week before doing the IM . . . .

Will

No no...come in July, they are skiing on Blackcomb between 6500 and 8000 feet on the other side of this peak (you can see the top of the lift structure in the picture). They had 2 feet of fresh snow on the Wed before the IM, so you can do both the IM and ski the same week without having to totally freeze in the IM...you really don't want to ride in April in Whistler.

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 5, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's awesome!! Now you've got me really interested! Is it always really hot for the IM, or does it vary?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think sharks are impartial to who they take a bite from:)

The IMWA bike course is pancake flat and plenty of U turns, you do 3 loops. However, they announced last year that they are changing it to 2 loops, not sure what the new course will look like. It should be flat unless it takes you to the winery area which can be a little rolling. It is however windy, i am not sure where the wind comes from half the time, i just knew i was surrounded by WIND!

The heat is intense, but not humid. You get really intense summer days in Australia. But second year i did it, it was cool on the run, makes alot of difference.

Crowd support is concentrated on one end of the run course

Enjoy it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Wow, that's awesome!! Now you've got me really interested! Is it always really hot for the IM, or does it vary?

Morning temps this year were 8C, and expected highs were 25C. But it hit 36C in Pemberton and the climb back. I find my quarq tends to over report ambiant temp by a few degrees C so call it 33C. I believe this is because the quarq is close to the pavement so there is some radiating heat from the pavement, but to some degree, this is what you and I feel. In Whistler it got up to 28C from what I recall, but the run is half shaded. Also this year it was 10C hotter than last year. The few days before the race the highs barely broke 20C. On Wed and Thu, it was hovering around 10C.

So like Frankfurt, the quick answer is, 'it could be hot, or it could be cold'....summer in the British Columbia coastal mountains...when you think you have the weather nailed, blink and it will turn 180 degrees the other way on you. But yes, it is fantastic vacation + IM experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a veteran of IM Frankfurt, can you tell me how difficult it is to register? I hear it sells out very quickly. I want to register for the 2016 race. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt RR 11:23. [erikhart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It usually sells out in a matter of weeks. It's not like Arizona or Florida where it sells out in minuets but I would register within a week to make sure.

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, Will.
Quote Reply