Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Chattanooga vs IM Louisville
Quote | Reply
Next year I will be doing one of these two IM's my question is simple, which one would you do? Keep in mind you have an outside chance of possibly KQ at this race if you are able to run your ideal race that you know you can and screw things up.

With that being said what course do you take and why?

Yes, after my last 70.3 this year my energy will be focused on this race. If I KQ, High fives all around, if I don't, I go home happy as I am racing and doing the sport that I love. Life moves on.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga vs IM Louisville [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hilly run vs. flat run. What are you better at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know Louisville so I can only speak to IM Chatt that I raced last year.

1. Chatt is pretty damn hilly which you really notice on the run course.
2. The bike leg is 4 miles longer unless they alter the course. Now granted they claimed that overall times were fine but it was still strange riding the extra mileage.
3. Pray you don't see 97 degrees again in late September o.O
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga vs IM Louisville [frodaddy00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done both, Chattanooga is the more fun destination. Swim is "cleaner", bike is a wash on beauty, and run is far more interesting, fun, and full of spectators.

If you don't KQ you will be more grateful to be in Chattanooga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Play to your strength. I've done both

Stronger runner should choose Chat. Much more hills on the run in Chat

Stronger swimmer should choose Lou. You have to swim up river and down river in Lou. The up part is very well protected but it seems like the down part a little bit more rough than Chatt. Chatt is just a straight down river swim without any kind of worries about sighting. The current helps you the entire way, even if you don't feel it.

Bike is mostly a wash, though if I were a weaker biker, I'd choose Chat even with the 4 extra miles.

Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to have run elevation maps for these two races? I am interested to see the difference.

Looking at the elevation on the bike between the two Louisville has a little more elevation change but it must be just a lot of little jumps here and there where as Chattanooga has some actual hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin measured the Louisville run at 142 ft of elevation gain. It's basically dead flat.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 1125ft in Chatti 2015
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
Does anyone happen to have run elevation maps for these two races? I am interested to see the difference.

Looking at the elevation on the bike between the two Louisville has a little more elevation change but it must be just a lot of little jumps here and there where as Chattanooga has some actual hills.

I'll have to look at the course map to verify but I believe they took away the out and back section of the Louisville bike course. This was the only part that had any significant climbing. The rest of it is rolling hills.

The Louisville run is dead flat. In years past, you had to run across the bridge (half way) and back. It was right at the beginning and was the only "hill" on the Louisville run. Now it's gone and the course is very flat.

I've done both races multiple times. With the bike course change, at Louisville (mentioned above), I believe the bike courses are very similar (except Chattanooga is 116 miles). The run is a lot harder at Chattanooga but I enjoyed it more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done both races multiple times and would put both Chattanooga and Louisville as my two favorite NA races. Only major difference I would note is that the Chattanooga run course is significantly tougher.

Both races are in really cool cities, have beautiful bike courses, and have quick swims. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply