Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up!
Quote | Reply
#1225 here, the same number I had at Tremblant 70.3 this year. Let's hope it's a lucky one
Almost there folks!

http://www.ironman.com/...t.aspx#axzz3BgxqXiZ9

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Last edited by: vmeikle: Aug 28, 14 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [vmeikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

not to hijack the thread, but what's your opinion on the additonal 2 miles they added on the bike course. i say 2 because i always knew it was 114 miles after the first change early in the year so 116 for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is everyone getting the extra miles for the bike? As others have noted on here, they have ridden the course and said it isn't long. Why the heck would they add 4 miles to the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the RD tracked the course and confirmed its 116.08 or something. And he is not changing it, but did mention he may try to work with local officials but that would result in a major course change.

For a BOPer that could easily add an extra 20min+ on to the day. And the early course cutoff won't make it any easier.

Might not be much of a current either if the TVA shuts off the flow from the damn.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird. You would have thought the course would have been measured and approved already. Have to wonder of the RD got in over his head in this thing. I am not racing but my wife is (and who will be a BOPer herself) and all the ???? regarding the race are stressing her out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently the course was approved a long time ago, I understand different IM races around the world have unique differences but they are advertised as such from day 1. Friends racing this one say this bike change was a surprise.

Tell your wife the anxiety is normal a month out and she should focus on day to day training, nutrition and everything else she has control over. Can't magically make the stress of an IM go away, but you can help redirect her attention as much as possible. Shell do great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 From the RD: "My farewell post! The course is long as it is on the latest map. I have 116.08. For reasons beyond our control that is the current route that has been approved. I will continue to work with the local government to find an alternate route. If that happens it will be a fairly significant course change."

BIB# 253
Last edited by: Katia: Aug 28, 14 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...well the added stress is going to help her develop some pretty big biceps from the extra 12oz curls she has been doing! I will just try to not get my head bit off for the next 31 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good luck to everyone...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [KP-NJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet...I was wondering when it was going to hit ST. Bring the ruckus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
godaddygo wrote:
Where is everyone getting the extra miles for the bike? As others have noted on here, they have ridden the course and said it isn't long. Why the heck would they add 4 miles to the bike?

Thank you for reaching out, currently the bike course that is posted is the correct bike course (116 miles). We continue to work with law enforcement and government agencies to make adjustments to the course. If there are any future changes to the bike course we will notify and update Athletes as soon as possible. We appreciate your understanding, and if you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Best wishes,
ALYSSA UPDEGRAVE
Coordinator, Athlete Services
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If the bike course is 2 miles too long, it should only add an extra 6-8 minutes to your time, not 20.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They made the course 10x safer by adding the little bit of distance. There's a minor incline that was added (that was already in the second loop) when they took the "turn for the 2nd loop" all the way back out to the highway.

In doing so he took out a potential calamity - imagine athletes in aero, cruising at a good clip when all of a sudden those turning for the second loop have to turn left while those on the way back to the finish go straight/right.....anyone remember what happened to Andy Potts in Chicago a couple of years ago? Now it goes all the way back to the highway where ALL athletes are going to be stopped & turning, second loop left, finish right. It's a MUCH cleaner & safer route.

And having it set up the way it has been - with all the athletes training on the cut-through to nick-a-jack back to the highway, has probably saved us boatloads of good will with the local residents. Instead of clogging up that highway even that much more....

It also appears that where we HAVE been going down the road beside the highway the route now has us ON the highway....back to saving goodwill in how we've been training on the side roads.

I imagined the turn onto hog jowl is where they added another bit of distance - but the map doesn't indicate that. That's a SHARP left turn with a ridge in the middle, I see nothing but potential disaster there. To extend that a bit up the road would make good sense.

I could very well be pushing the time limit as well, but it would be a HELLUVA lot worse if there are boatloads of accidents. And it's four miles...twenty, thirty, forty minutes...it'll all be ok.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#134, this will be my first 144.6, I have done 140.6 twice though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:

If the bike course is 2 miles too long, it should only add an extra 6-8 minutes to your time, not 20.

Read the thread. The course was already about 2 miles long and they just changed it again. Now it's just over 116 miles. I'm sure the changes were needed for safety or due to road quality on the previous route.

Last edited by: ffmedic84: Aug 28, 14 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is what it is as far as if it's a little short or long, but I'm confused by this as well. I've ridden the complete course from where T1 will be and got 113 miles. So a little bit long but I'm confused where the additional 3-4 miles are coming from unless both my Garmin 910 and Joule GPS were incorrect? Weird.

Ahhh ... now I see where the additional miles come from in a later post. Disregard my comment. :)
Last edited by: little red: Aug 28, 14 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#118 and pulling for a 3rd extra 2 miles to be tacked onto the bike course by raceday to give me a lucky number.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know two people who have gone down on the turn to start the second loop, it's easy to miss and I cant imagine some people going left and some people going straight all at 30MPH so the change definitely makes sense. I don't mind if it's 116 - but I'd like them to make sure that's correct in the results and tracking and everything. 12-15min isn't a lot, but it isn't nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [tri_atl12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the change. I just do not understand how they cannot lose 4 miles somewhere. It should be 112 case closed and the 12-15 minutes would be for the FOP-MOP. The BOP are getting screwed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm good with a long bike course . . .

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2155. Maybe they can cut the marathon down to 22.2 to even things out!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
#134, this will be my first 144.6, I have done 140.6 twice though.

Laughing. My first 144.68 as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1718 checking in...

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Athlete Guide has been posted

http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz3BVDkDnuP

#1575 here
Last edited by: robin, run: Aug 28, 14 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga bib numbers are up! [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:
I agree with the change. I just do not understand how they cannot lose 4 miles somewhere. It should be 112 case closed and the 12-15 minutes would be for the FOP-MOP. The BOP are getting screwed.

I am sure there are many variables that we do not know…or care to know….but I agree, the BOP is getting screwed and personally feel 4 miles is quite a bit of mileage to "get close" to 112. It's beyond give or take a little. Sort feels like a 27 mile marathon. I wonder if they are just screwing with everyone. It seems like an official statement would be given, rather than one off emails to people asking, or posts on Facebook. If you were not on social media and knew in advance, it would be pretty shitty to show up at the expo and find out….or worse yet…find out when your garmin starts clicking off 113, 114, 115…. I would be pissed. I'm not thrilled with the race not being 140.6…I want to PR, and was hoping to PR by a bunch….but 4 miles is quite a bit of added mileage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next