Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Chatanooga Training Ride
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done a week weekend training ride on the bike loop? I was wondering about Saturday morning/noon traffic. Is it safe to ride?

I will be headed up there this Saturday after an OW swim practice at Red Top State Park on Allatoona Lake. I am riding the loop twice.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [GA_TRI_DAWG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its fine, just please follow rules of the road. Traffic is always a little heavy on 193 for the first few miles but after that you shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy, its a fun course. Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with Brian. I have ridden the course about 10 times. It is my preference to ride Chattanooga Valley Rd instead of 193 leaving town. They run parallel and intersect. The only difficult spots are coming out of chickamauga there is no shoulder and cars can get backed up. And then 193 coming back to town has rumble strips and large, fast moving trucks.

I'd also advise bringing extra water. There are places to stop in the first 20 miles then only 2 places on the backside of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

endurathonrd wrote:
Its fine, just please follow rules of the road. Traffic is always a little heavy on 193 for the first few miles but after that you shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy, its a fun course. Brian

Great thanks for the feedback.

Trispoke wrote:
I concur with Brian. I have ridden the course about 10 times. It is my preference to ride Chattanooga Valley Rd instead of 193 leaving town. They run parallel and intersect. The only difficult spots are coming out of chickamauga there is no shoulder and cars can get backed up. And then 193 coming back to town has rumble strips and large, fast moving trucks.

I'd also advise bringing extra water. There are places to stop in the first 20 miles then only 2 places on the backside of the course.

I am only doing the loop, so I will be starting after the busy sections I hope. I'll park in Chckamauga so each loop I can refill. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The earlier the better. Traffic gets pretty heavy on 193 late morning. Its a great bike course, especially once you get to Cove Road and Hog Jowl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a full training camp in Chattanooga this weekend for this race? I have no idea about details/logistics but my assumption is the ride may be supported and lots of riders
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:
Isn't there a full training camp in Chattanooga this weekend for this race? I have no idea about details/logistics but my assumption is the ride may be supported and lots of riders

Any idea who might be running it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found it.

OW swim for Saturday is cool. Can't ride Sunday due to family commitments. But good to know the FB site.

https://www.facebook.com/...ts/1560393420859011/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:

Trispoke wrote:

Thanks for the feedback before the weekend. It turned out to be a great weekend to train on the course. I joined the open water swim practice in the lake with the training camp group. Unfortunately, the supported rides were Friday and Sunday and my only free day was Saturday.

I did see a number of riders on the front side getting in some miles. I did the loop twice on Saturday and have the following comments:

Traffic was light for the majority of the ride from ~9:00 am - 2:00 pm
There are hardly any flat spots on the loops. All rollers that are back to back to back to back to back.
All but one car/truck gave me plenty of room to ride. The one car was close but not too close.
I don't know how the avg Bike time for 2014 Choo (6:13:14) was faster than the avg bike time for 2014 TX (6:18:13), or 2015 TX (6:20:23) IM TX bike is so much easier and 3+ miles shorter.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

I am looking for a partner to ride the IM Chattanooga course on Saturday, July 30 (or possibly the 31st). Saw this thread from last year with good tips, so I thought I would just add my post to it.

I dunno about pace…maybe 19+ mph avg (without knowing anything about the course...)? Any takers? Know of any groups or others you could put me in touch with?

-Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any suggestions on where to park to ride the course? I'd be driving up likely the morning of from Atlanta.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best place to park is the Food City near the St Elmo neighborhood. It's on Tennessee Avenue, I believe. From there, one loop is 60-61 miles. I'd start early as there are not many shaded areas and it's been hot/humid.

As far as water is concerned, there is a c-store on the way out (probably 15 miles from Food City) and the Pigeon Mountain Grill (about 8-10 miles once you make the Hog Jowl climb/turn). The folks at this grill are very nice and very accommodating to us cyclists. If you go in to use their restroom, try to buy something. They have bottled water but they also have great mid ride snacks. Their brownies and banana pudding are fabulous.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody riding the course Sat (7/30)?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, really appreciate the reply and info eye3md.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatanooga Training Ride [urbansombrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's a group of people riding sunday morning from the bilo at 7am if anyone is interested. I'll be there. Would like to do around 20mph.

https://www.facebook.com/events/142782079479925/
Quote Reply