Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CdA Kona slot breakdown
Quote | Reply
I am not a frequent SlowTwitch user. I really am asking this for a friend. He's currently racing IM CdA and is on the cusp of a KQ. It's going to be close and it will depend on how many slots his age group gets. He's in the 45-49 year old group.

Apparently there is someone who figures out the number of slots and posts it here. Does anyone know if that information is available yet? And if so, where I can find it?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [spartacus85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if it's what you are looking for, but coach cox gives a pretty detailed insight into races:

http://www.coachcox.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spartacus85 wrote:
I am not a frequent SlowTwitch user. I really am asking this for a friend. He's currently racing IM CdA and is on the cusp of a KQ. It's going to be close and it will depend on how many slots his age group gets. He's in the 45-49 year old group.

Apparently there is someone who figures out the number of slots and posts it here. Does anyone know if that information is available yet? And if so, where I can find it?

Thanks.

If history is any indication M45-49 usually has 4 slots
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Does this historical number include the extra slots they added this year? If not, I assume it might take it up to 5.

Again, I appreciate the reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sylvan usually can provide this info but the official numbers are dependent on finishers. And since some don't finish until late, the official numbers won't really be official until tomorrow morning.

I would bet 5 in that AG with 50 slots. But with the race being so close to kona, I wouldn't be surprised to see some slots roll.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sylvan I s the one who posts the slots. He usually does on at some pint on the day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you're right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need 6! The guy who finished 6th is already in, I was 7th :(
Last edited by: spasmus: Aug 27, 17 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Sylvan usually can provide this info but the official numbers are dependent on finishers. And since some don't finish until late, the official numbers won't really be official until tomorrow morning.

I would bet 5 in that AG with 50 slots. But with the race being so close to kona, I wouldn't be surprised to see some slots roll.

It's dependent on starters and not finishers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes your right. I always get this confused in my head. Especially when there are a few starters in the older AG's and then no one finishes. Therefore that slot(s) get reallocated. So I always get this backwards.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won M45-49 and am taking mine. Good luck with the allocation and roll down!
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. I thought that would be a great race between you and Thompson. I'm not too confident in the roll down. Most guys ahead of me were late entries and there is only one reason you reg late!! I hoping we have the second most starters and the 70-74 doesn't take his and it rolls to ours. Backing my way into kona is not optimal!!!!!

Last year there were 60spots and 7 in 45-49 I was 4th. That was much better!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
I need 6! The guy who finished 6th is already in, I was 7th :(

Congrats on your finish! I'm the sixth place guy. Will be rooting for you tomorrow!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa so you could go 10:29 in M30-34 and get a guaranteed slot... Urgh this is just silly:(

Seems like very few people raced this year as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks. It doesn't look great. 2nd is beast and has been to kona like 100 times! The 3rd place guy had an awesome race and I think this was his first Ironman. 4 and 5 raced last year. Like I said, earning you way in is the way to go. Hoping for roll down is nail biting fun, but not the way to get there. Congrats to everyone who raced.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. I was in 4th in my AG (last slot) at the last turnaround but I spent too much time walking on the last stretch on Lake drive and dropped back a few spots

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely slower than most races and I think many fast guys skip this race given how close it is to Kona. That said, a little context

- The distance are pretty acurrate unlike most races (I'm looking at you boulder, Texas, and most other popular courses). My garmin had 2.58 for the swim (though some of that may be due to me not swimming straight), 111.8 for the bike, and an even 26 for the run.
- T1 and T2 are each 0.25 miles. Most of it had to done barefoot or in bike shoes
- Per the garmin the elevation on the bike was 6191 feet. Also there was some cross winds towards the top of 95. Not sure how it affected others, but I had to break aero more than I would have liked as I my front wheel was getting squirrelly.
- holy batman the run was hot. Sunny and 90 during the run and the last part of of the out and back doesn't offer much shade. I was stupid and tried to run a pace suitable for high 70s and paid for it with lots of walking.

But yeah, if you were in the 30-34 age group and were trying to qualify for Kona, this would've been a good one to do. There were 50 slots (the extra 10 since it was the sunset year) for 1100 participants.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Aug 27, 17 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Definitely slower than most races and I think many fast guys skip this race given how close it is to Kona. That said, a little context

- The distance are pretty acurrate unlike most races (I'm looking at you boulder, Texas, and most other popular courses). My garmin had 2.58 for the swim (though some of that may be due to me not swimming straight), 111.8 for the bike, and an even 26 for the run.
- T1 and T2 are each 0.25 miles. Most of it had to done barefoot or in bike shoes
- Per the garmin the elevation on the bike was 6191 feet. Also there was some cross winds towards the top of 95. Not sure how it affected others, but I had to break aero more than I would have liked as I my front wheel was getting squirrelly.
- holy batman the run was hot. Sunny and 90 during the run and the last part of of the out and back doesn't offer much shade. I was stupid and tried to run a pace suitable for high 70s and paid for it with lots of walking.

But yeah, if you were in the 30-34 age group and were trying to qualify for Kona, this would've been a good one to do. There were 50 slots (the extra 10 since it was the sunset year) for 1100 participants.

My Polar agrees with your distance - exactly 180km
re: the winds were a bit more "interesting" last year, and, the heat. Well, 2015 was a tad warmer (~104)

aloha :-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there today, but there were 15 of us who went under 10.5hrs last year; slowest qualifying time with extra slots was 9:49 I believe. Outlier I guess.

I hate chasing this stupid slot but what are you gonna do:)
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
I hate chasing this stupid slot but what are you gonna do:)

I think you know the answer to that question right?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:

My Polar agrees with your distance - exactly 180km
re: the winds were a bit more "interesting" last year, and, the heat. Well, 2015 was a tad warmer (~104)

aloha :-)

Congrats again, my friend. "Maika'i", as they say in Hawai'i!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: IM CdA Kona slot breakdown [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrads as well (looks like it dropped to 8th) as 45-49M was definitely a tough group!

Wasn't so lucky as all 5 ahead of me took the 5 slots in my group (along with the only finisher in another group that would have rolled to mine), but taking it as inspiration for next season.

Missing a Boston cutoff last fall by a few seconds did wonders for my following marathon training cycle & race, and had some rolldown luck a few months back that squeaked me into 70.3 Worlds.
Quote Reply