Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Canada/Whistler re-paving
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up from something posted today:
http://www.slrd.bc.ca/...may-disrupt-athletes

Quote:

June 13- July 13 paving project on Highway 99 between Whistler and Pemberton may disrupt athlete's training schedules
Apr 28, 2016

Affected Communities: All Areas

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure have notified us of a paving project scheduled for Hwy 99 halfway between Pemberton and Whistler, around Wedgewoods, tentatively scheduled for June 13th to July 13th, with the work happening Monday to Saturday, 7am-7pm.

The work will span a 6km area of the highway and will involve replacing the entire road surface, including the shoulders, with new asphalt as well as some other minor upgrades.

As part of this work, the top layer of worn asphalt will be removed by grinding it off. This process leaves grooved pavement -- this surface is not very suitable to ride a road bicycle on.

MOTI suggests that athletes and recreationalists avoid this area when riding road bikes during the work window.

All efforts will be made to keep the traffic delays inherent in this paving project to a minimum, especially around the commuter times. The Pemberton Music Festival starting July 14th provides a hard stop to the project.

MOTI will share updates as to the status and schedule of the work as the project progresses, and the SLRD will disseminate those updates as and when we receive them.

This road especially the shoulder really needed this. Now lets just hope theres no delays and everything's done on time.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only a 6km stretch. Was this just one particular really bad area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they'll flatten out some of the climbs too ;-)

--

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:

I dont remember to be honest. All my training rides in the descent to pemberton have been dreadful experiences on that shoulder (high winds / high traffic / big trucks at high speeds / bad shoulder conditions) ie: I don't do it anymore. ANY pavement improvements i'm happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it's the 6km north of where they repaved last summer, the 6km before is fine but the decent down to the train tracks isn't great although if you just stick to the white line you can still feel comfortable and safe at 70kmph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news that the section is being repaved....hopefully no delay. Worst case scenario, 3x up to Callaghan and back (I jest). This would probably make this the hardest IM in the world !!!. But I think keeping Sea to Sky open that late in the day is not an option
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Worst case scenario, 3x up to Callaghan and back

Great, now i have something new to worry about!

Of course my take away from the IM Texas thread was: Do your best on the course (and weather) that are presented to you on race day, and don't worry about what is outside your control.

(Although, this screws up the course preview trip i was planning in late June)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
(Although, this screws up the course preview trip i was planning in late June)

Same here. I'm thinking about staging a car just on the Whistler side of the road work and using it to shuttle past that section during my ride.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys where exactly is the construction on the way down to Pemberton. There is NOTHING on the way down that is that technical. On the way back after the initial short climb, there is a short decent which is a decreasing radius turn that you have to be aware of. Then some time after that you have the long climb. You don't need to ride the Pemberton flats at all. A Computrainer is better simulation anyway.

On your recce trip if you just ride from Whistler to top of Callaghan and back 3x, you'll more than be able to handle the actual race course on race day. I suggest 3x of that loop because everyone overdoes the climb to Callaghan and then they just go ballistic on the climb back to Whistler. This is waaaay too early. I have seen guys riding this easily at 5W per kilo and then implode on the Pemberton flats. If you ride Callaghan and back 3x, you'll see the impact of bad pacing on the same terrain. There is value to that. The Callaghan decent is largely "more technical" than the Pemberton descent too. So win win. If I went over and there was no construction, I'd probably still skip the Pemberton side anyway. I'd probably ride to Callaghan a lot and rent a mountain bike and ride it as high up Whistler as I could take it and then take a lift down.

Come to think of it, maybe I need to come out on race week (since i still have a hotel booked and can't run) and do exactly that and have a mini vacation and then volunteer on race day in a Kayak!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guys where exactly is the construction on the way down to Pemberton. There is NOTHING on the way down that is that technical. On the way back after the initial short climb, there is a short decent which is a decreasing radius turn that you have to be aware of. Then some time after that you have the long climb. You don't need to ride the Pemberton flats at all. A Computrainer is better simulation anyway.

On your recce trip if you just ride from Whistler to top of Callaghan and back 3x, you'll more than be able to handle the actual race course on race day. I suggest 3x of that loop because everyone overdoes the climb to Callaghan and then they just go ballistic on the climb back to Whistler. This is waaaay too early. I have seen guys riding this easily at 5W per kilo and then implode on the Pemberton flats. If you ride Callaghan and back 3x, you'll see the impact of bad pacing on the same terrain. There is value to that. The Callaghan decent is largely "more technical" than the Pemberton descent too. So win win. If I went over and there was no construction, I'd probably still skip the Pemberton side anyway. I'd probably ride to Callaghan a lot and rent a mountain bike and ride it as high up Whistler as I could take it and then take a lift down.

Thanks, Dev. I'm thinking about that option too. It looks like the construction will be closer to Whistler than Pemberton, starting just past Green Lake, so skipping it will mean leaving out just about all of the Pemberton-Whistler climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:

Is 6km enough of a hassle for an open letter to the WTC?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
IronStork wrote:

Is 6km enough of a hassle for an open letter to the WTC?

They should have known this was coming!

This does illustrate the difference in attitude toward cycling and IM in suburban Houston vs. Whistler. Kudos to MOTI for getting the word out early, and I'm sure we'll appreciate the improved pavement in that stretch during the race. It also doesn't hurt that another event before the IM provides a hard stop to the construction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The repaving started quite a bit late. It is underway now.

They are closing one lane of traffic each way. No cyclists permitted from what I've heard.

From DriveBC:
"Road Work on Highway 99 Southbound after Park St. Road Work will occur weekly on all days effective 27/06/2016 until 13/07/2016 from 7:00:00 AM to 7:00:00 PM. Updated on Mon Jun 20 10:38 am PDT. (ID# RTMC_10252)

They do, however, have a firm deadline of the 13th.. As the music festival is also upcoming on the 14th i believe.
Last edited by: randomtriguy: Jun 29, 16 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are doing a camp 2 weeks out and have had to adjust,

Basically there was talk of the construction crew having a shuttle…but these are beat up paving trucks ;-) better than nothing.

The work won't be complete by the 13th, and likely will be one lane for race day.

You are right, they will allow athletes to bike "down hill" but not up as you would be way to slow. The pavement is already ripped and "grooved" basically I wouldn't ride my bike over it.

I just sent out a "plan B" for the camp…we knew the risk going in.

As a side note, my understanding is that the delays in start-up have nothing to do with the Company or the employees themselves…So if you are out training etc please be "pleasant" and nice…they are basically working 6X12hours to get this done for race day. On a side note I heard that the priority is IM not the Music Fest…because, people will still be able to drive.

These are delays from above (government etc)

*Edit to add no work on Sundays.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jun 29, 16 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am up there for a preview weekend starting tomorrow.

I guess it is 2x Calahagn climb one day and 2 (or 3) x Pemberton Flatts (to the construction start).

Alternatively, we might figure out a way to shuttle people across the construction (but no way I am riding on something torn up)

I saw a Facebook post where people were dreaming about a change to the course that doesn't involve the climb from Pemberton > Whistler at 90 miles in... but i suspect anything they add would be so much worse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are doing…likely,

Calahan plus west side road X2 ride for the long day, out of four days we plan on shuttling once (with our own vehicles)

Too be modified though ;-)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
The work won't be complete by the 13th, and likely will be one lane for race day.

That will be fun, given that people often hit 40+ mph in there on race day going toward Pemberton, and even 30+ back to Whistler. And if you're around 6 hours for the IM bike, you'll be passing a lot of slower HIM riders on that stretch back to Whistler.

Still a ways out to panic, but if it gets down to the last week it will be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard this info second hand from someone who lives there and checked it out and talked to crews, site super etc.

if one lane it would be tight for pros coming up from the full and AG HIM racers bombing down at speed…like you say too far out to panic. Not like Texas where nobody knew what was going on.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
I am up there for a preview weekend starting tomorrow.

I guess it is 2x Calahagn climb one day and 2 (or 3) x Pemberton Flatts (to the construction start).

I would spend one day on the Callaghan end of the course, and one around Pemberton. I was out last week and after a day riding the course decided that riding that highway on the shoulder wasn't much fun (lots of debris and rough pavement). So I took Dev's suggestion and just looped Callaghan the next day.

Seeing the Pemberton part of the course isn't as critical, but if you don't have long, flat stretches to ride at home then experiencing the Pemberton flats isn't a bad idea. You can also check out the steep, curvy section at the south end of Nairn Falls Park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:

I saw a Facebook post where people were dreaming about a change to the course that doesn't involve the climb from Pemberton > Whistler at 90 miles in... but i suspect anything they add would be so much worse.

I don't get that. It's supposed to be hard, why would people want it changed? Do Arizona or Florida if you want a flat course.

I hate that climb as much as anybody, and have suffered like a dog on it. If I went back to race, and the course was adjusted, I would feel cheated.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
skot123 wrote:

I don't get that. It's supposed to be hard, why would people want it changed? Do Arizona or Florida if you want a flat course.

I hate that climb as much as anybody, and have suffered like a dog on it. If I went back to race, and the course was adjusted, I would feel cheated.

I would agree, great course and great venue…back in 2012 because of my own personal byass with Penticton I was initially a Whistler detractor.

Basically with around 1500 people now (less than when you raced IIRC) it is a very honest course.

I don't think (hope) anything's changing.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler re-paving [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's Ironman. Isn't it supposed to be easy?

I lived in Whistler for 3 years back in the 1990's and can't count how many times I biked from Whistler - Pemberton and back. It's a great ride and back then, I would usually go and only see a handful of vehicles. The hills were just that, hills with nice grades.

If that is considered "hard", then other courses must be pancake flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2014 I signed up with a group of friends to do IMAZ as my first full distance race.

I had the same throughout, Ironman is supposed to be hard! I felt like i would only be cheating myself doing an *easy* course first, so i signed up and I did IMC last year to be my first. (FWIW, having done both, I don't know that the IMAZ course is *easy*, it is flat so it tends to be faster and that leads to different challenges... but it is shitty rain at both )

I probably should have shaded something in my original response. If the IMC 2016 course did have to change as a result of unfinished construction... i think it would end up significantly harder.

I think the IMC course is amazing. You get a fair amount of climbing, most of which is at a reasonable gradient.

Even on the longest climbs, there are breaks where you get a downhill to recover.

The Pemberton flats section is a get in aero and go (and if you get in a paceline you are a cheater)

And in any number of places, you can blow your fool self up if you don't race smart (which i didn't last year... which is why I am heading back this year, I have something to prove to myself and I fear that the course may be changed in the next year or so)

The last climb is tough, especially if you overdid something early

But I can't imagine a more fair *hard* course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update

https://www.facebook.com/...osts/564831770365579

They have 4.4km left to pave after doing 1km yesterday. Paving shut down until Tuesday after the festival.

At that pace they'll be done on... The day before the race.

Crossing fingers :)
Quote Reply