Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Bricks
Quote | Reply
When you are moving into the build phase of training for an IM, what do your bricks look like? In the base phase, I was doing 4 hour rides with a 70-80 minute run after. In the build phase, should I just continually increase those distances?

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bricks [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not be running for more than 25-30min off the bike for weekend long rides. Usually just run for 2-3 miles to get the legs going and know the stomach is fine post ride. Any more than that is too much in terms of recovery etc... but I gues it is personal and based on experience etc... I figure that it takes too long to fully recover from a 'long' brick run and that it would negatively impact training in the coming days.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, if you have included "getting injured" in your training plan.

The most I ever run off the bike is maybe :45-:50. I feel better doing my quality running on its own. I separate my long run from my longest ride in a week by 3 days. I run 4-6x per week, so I'm just used to running.

It only takes like 5 minutes to know that running off a long ride sucks. It only takes another 5-10 to get to the point where I'm running the "best" that I can given the length/intensity of the ride. Add maybe another 10-25 minutes to continue that feeling, and that's enough for me.

P.S. I love my coach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is long, as far as my experience is concerned. At peak, I get to 6 hour rides and 1 hour runs, I'll do probably 4 of them. Personally, I don't see the need to go very long on the run part of your long ride day. I think you need to do enough so that your body gets used to the transition after a long ride and can switch over to endurance running mode. Anything more, and you're ruining yourself for what is frequently considered the most important workout of the week - the long run, which for most folks will probably be the day after (Sunday)

Right now, my long ride is 4 hours, and I run for 30 minutes. Sunday's long run is 2 hours, followed by a 2 hour ride.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Last edited by: Schwingding: Apr 5, 06 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bricks [fefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Including "getting injured" in the plan - that's funny, because I am paranoid about that. I think I will shorten the run off the bike. You are right about it only taking a few minutes to realize it sucks.

And don't worry, I separate my long bike and long run by three days as well.

Another question: what are some of your favorite build phase workouts?

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The transition run after a long ride is actually my favorite part of triathlon training. I love the feeling - it feels like you are flying because your legs are partially numb. The run is also great because you usually feel pretty good about yourself from all the biking you just did. I usually drive to Harriman State Park and throw my bike in the back of my car (I bought a station wagon for this purpose), and then do my transition run along a lake, which also makes it very scenic. Sometimes I ride in Sandy Hook and do my transition run along the ocean. Even though its my favorite part of training, I limit myself to 20-45 minutes, so I don't get injured. I think the 20-45 minutes that I am doing my transition run are actually my favorite part of my week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put me in the category of never having run more than 30 minutes after a long bike. However, a frequent May workout is a double brick: 1 hr 40 min on trainer, 6.2 mile run, 1 hr 40 min on trainer, 4.8 mi run. The run distance are tailored to my neighborhood. This results in a 5:15 - 5:30 session overall. The runs feel pretty nice actually as it it feels great to get off the trainer.

The double brick isn't my concept, I took it from Gordo's site, where someone suggested a triple brick consisting of 3 - 25 mile bike segments followed by runs of 6, 5, and 4 miles for a 75 mile bike, 15 mile run effort that results in a lot less wear on the legs.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said, cut that run down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by Paula Newby that she never ran for more than 60 minutes following a long ride. With that being said, I'm planning on a couple of 1:15-1:20 runs after a long ride. You definitely need a couple of bricks with at least 45-60 minute runs following bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bricks [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the triple brick is a Dave Scott workout. Perhaps Jaylew can chime in on the triple brick - he's got a great story when he did that a few years ago!

I'm in the short brick camp as well

In Reply To:

The double brick isn't my concept, I took it from Gordo's site, where someone suggested a triple brick consisting of 3 - 25 mile bike segments followed by runs of 6, 5, and 4 miles for a 75 mile bike, 15 mile run effort that results in a lot less wear on the legs.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bricks [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favourite brick workout is also from Gordo - Going Long.
(Bike 60min - Run 30min) x 3
First set, easy bike & easy run.
Second set, IM pace bike & IM pace run.
Third set, 1/2 IM pace bike & 1/2 IM pace run.
The idea being, if you can't up the pace for the third set, then you have overestimated your IM pace. Love this one. And didn't feel any major effects - nothing like long bike long run bricks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Bricks [paragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with most others that such a long run after a long bike is not necessary and is very tiring. However if you are new to long distance racing I think planning a single long brick is useful to at least get a sense of pacing the run, practising some feeding and making sure your bike food intake does not affect your run. I think it is very easy to run 20 mins off a long bike and get a false persepctive of what the run feels like. If you do a long brick just make sure you plan some sensible recovery and don't start the session tired from the previous days training.
Quote Reply