Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Boulder...prediction?
Quote | Reply
I posted this in another thread but I thought I would get more feedback by making a thread. I'm a east coast guy thinking about racing IM Boulder. (with no altitude training).

I'm going to throw this out there because I need to make a decision soon (I have a chance to race via foundation spot but my link expires in a few days).
Wt: 180lbs
Ht: 6'2"
FTP: 290
Open Marathon Time: 2:57
TT 400 yard swim: 00:05:45
Averages (last 12 weeks):
Swim: 11000yards/wk (3.25hrs)
Bike: 289 miles/wk (14.5hrs) with 12000 ft elevation gain/wk
Run: 50 miles/wk (6.75 hrs)
CTL: 130

What kind of time am I looking at IM Boulder?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, that's quite the volume over the last 12 weeks. I can't predict a time but it sounds like you're well prepared and should have a good day if you have a smart taper and execute your race plan. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [TM2194] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This week is my normal recovery week so my TSB is climbing. I will have all next week to taper as well. It fits perfect but I put a lot of hard damn work this spring/summer and I don't want to see it wasted because of altitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9:36+5
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should mention that my goal is sub 10 hrs...so do I stand a chance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude - I had one week that met your training volume and Im trying to break 9 hours (or as close as possible).

Here are my numbers for comparison

Wt: 147
Ht: 5' 10
FTP: 275
Open Marathon: 2:48
Averages since IMTX (week off after IMTX):
Swim: 4000yds/week
Bike: 210ish
Run: 45 or so

With that said, I was born and raised here and alt doesn't affect me. My IM PR is 9:10.

I don't think you should have an issue breaking 10hr. You race the distance much before?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13:23

It is going to be windy and Boulder eats up east coast girls all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine with the altitude. I'm from NY and raced the half there last year. I don't think the altitude slowed me down too much. I'd be more concerned about how hot it could potentially be. How does your body handle the heat?

Quote | Reply
I raced 2 IMs before but 3 years ago was my last one. 10:45 at IMFL but this was in my 2nd year of training and I was injured going in.

I would rather cooler temps but so would most people. I never raced an IM in blazing heat so I don't know how it will affect me.

So how about with blazing heat vs average heat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you want to do it. Just pull the trigger and go for it. PM me and we can meet up pre-race.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh....I really want to do it! If I don't do IM Boulder I will do IM Maryland. The thought of training another 8 weeks at this level seems daunting. But I imagine IM Maryland might be a better option for me. But who knows....

Here is my breakdown:
Swim: 1:05-1:08 (with wetsuit); 1:10-1:13 (without wetsuit)
Bike (plugged in the numbers to bestbikesplit) with adjustment for altitude: 5:11
Run: 3:25

Total Time: 9:45-9:50

For some reason I think my time will be better than this with the amount of training I did and a good taper.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Sounds like you want to do it. Just pull the trigger and go for it. PM me and we can meet up pre-race.

Colin I will PM you for sure if I'm doing it. I will be traveling alone. I have a brood of family (4 kids and wife) so it gets kind of expensive taking everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be fine and should go for it. It is going to be a great event. The RD there does an excellent job and is an awesome guy. It sounds like you did the work to be prepared for it. Race conditions are one of the few things you can never control. Jut be prepared mentally for what could be thrown at you, manage your nutrition accordingly, and give it a good go. You sound sub 10 fit for sure.

Quote | Reply
Awesome... Let me know and I'll try to help out however I can!

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yer such a dick.

;)

free for lunch today?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 weeks is a long time to be holding peak volume. continuing on has the likelihood of burnout or going stale. Where on the east coast? Have you done any heat adaptive training? While we have a dry heat here it's the radiative heating from the zero atmosphere that really can cook you. The last week has been mid 90s to 100 and you don't see a whole lotta folks out in the middle of the day. The run will be shaded tho but 100% concrete and only 4.5' wide. If not prepared for the heat you could end up over cooking while on the bike and then you'll be toast once on the run. Heat triggers your central governor to shut you down before you really need to shut down. I think a lot of folks don't get the kind of heat we have here. It's way nicer than a humid heat but cooks you bad in a different way.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIDAVID2 wrote:
I posted this in another thread but I thought I would get more feedback by making a thread. I'm a east coast guy thinking about racing IM Boulder. (with no altitude training).

I'm going to throw this out there because I need to make a decision soon (I have a chance to race via foundation spot but my link expires in a few days).
Wt: 180lbs
Ht: 6'2"
FTP: 290
Open Marathon Time: 2:57
TT 400 yard swim: 00:05:45
Averages (last 12 weeks):
Swim: 11000yards/wk (3.25hrs)
Bike: 289 miles/wk (14.5hrs) with 12000 ft elevation gain/wk
Run: 50 miles/wk (6.75 hrs)
CTL: 130

What kind of time am I looking at IM Boulder?

With that level of aerobic capacity on the B and R, and since you are a relatively big-for-a-triathlete guy, which comes in handy for swimming, you should be able to swim 400 yds in under 5:00 easy. If you were to really work at your swimming this winter, I'm sure you could drop 12 sec/100 off of your 5:45:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When MarkyV says "cook", he's speaking in terms of a skillet. A dry skillet. With bacon on it. If there's no cloud cover, most of y'all will be smelling like cooked bacon in T2....and your brain will be like those "this is your brain on drugs" commercials with the eggs in the skillet. So skillet + bacon + fried eggs for brains (did Mark mention toast in his post?) is going to be tough for a low-lander. I live here and this is the exact reason why I chose not to do this race, even though I love me some bacon.

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Jul 24, 14 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we still on for drinks half way up the 79th street hill?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
we still on for drinks half way up the 79th street hill?

Heck yes. You got a spare cowbell?

Re: IM Boulder...prediction? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a little one from subaru. brought home the girl a big ass one from switzerland that i'll be using :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My link to register doesn't expire until 7/31/14. Maybe I should just wait to see what the weather holds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I'm a sea level guy(San Diego) and have been in Boulder since last Saturday and will race next weekend. I've gone on two rides, a few runs, and swam twice. I haven't really noticed the altitude that much at all. Maybe a little bit on the swim and a tiny bit on the run but nothing that bad.

Like others have said, I'd be much more worried about the heat.

FYI, the lifeguard at the reservoir said the water temp was 75 this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the current extended forecasts are suggesting an extended cooling trend starting in about a week, so temps in Boulder may well be relatively cool for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are ?3000 (not sure how many signed up but its the "biggest") people going to run out and backs 2x on a 4.5 foot path? Sounds like a disaster though I like the shade part...Concrete - not asphalt? I'll have to wear cushy shoes.

I'll 2nd the oppressive heat from the sun at altitude...and the deceptive nature of the wind/heat/dryness taking its toll....my plan is to go slow and drink lots :).

Dave
Quote Reply

Prev Next