Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance
Quote | Reply
I signed up for a 70.3 and purchased the insurance. It turns out that I cannot attend that location anymore. The insurance doesn't appear to cover not being able to attend, the race director wont respond, and Ironman (WTC) doesn't appear to have transfers for 70.3 races...citing that you can get your refund via insurance for $40 instead of the $50 transfer fee.

Any advice?
Last edited by: LifeTri: Sep 19, 17 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
he insurance doesn't appear to cover not being able to attend

Sure it does BUT it's dependent what the reason is for not being able to attend. It'd be more helpful if you gave us your reason.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
he insurance doesn't appear to cover not being able to attend

Sure it does BUT it's dependent what the reason is for not being able to attend. It'd be more helpful if you gave us your reason.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My spouse doesn't want to go that time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The insurance is for medical reasons.

As far as I know, there is no transfer option for 70.3s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to be rude by stating the obvious but you should have read the terms and conditions of the insurance beforehand. I don't purchase it because it doesn't cover simply changing your schedule because you want to. In fact, unless you are someone who gets injured often, it's not very helpful insurance anyway, just another money maker, IMO. Seems strange they cite the insurance when they should know it's not very helpful and wouldn't apply in this case.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Don't mean to be rude by stating the obvious but you should have read the terms and conditions of the insurance beforehand. I don't purchase it because it doesn't cover simply changing your schedule because you want to. In fact, unless you are someone who gets injured often, it's not very helpful insurance anyway, just another money maker, IMO. Seems strange they cite the insurance when they should know it's not very helpful and wouldn't apply in this case.

I think we may have an out being that we were recently relocated for work. But yeah, their reasoning for not allowing transfers on 70.3 races is that you can buy the insurance for $40 and get your money back instead of paying the $50 reassignment fee. I may just end up being out $300 at the end of it all...and I should have read the terms.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 - Refund/Transfer/Insurance [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me race insurance to me is similiar to companies arguing with employees over "sick" days vs "vacation" days.

But I get it from an RD standpoint. Put all kinds of conditions on it so you likely can't even really use the insurance but in very documented cases, and therefore you as a race never lose anything on the insurance. Which I think is sorta the way insurance policies in all industries work. I just think it's a bit silly to have a very high premium entry fee, where at times you have to enter 8 months-1 year before and then have very specific insurance validations...but it's big mighty business at work.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
My spouse doesn't want to go that time of year.

This is like a softball right over home plate. But I'm going to use restraint and not take a swing.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply