Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race.
Quote | Reply
I have found over the years when people have posted these i have benefited from them and have been helpful in my growth in the sport. I am hoping this does the same for someone else.

I came out of Kona at a all time low after being total destroyed on the Big Island, very humbling experience.

I came into 2017 with the goal going down to IMTX and finishing in the top 5 in AG and getting back to Kona for some redemption. I knew Texas would be ultra competitive given the 75 kona slots, but its also logistically easy for me to go to from Austin. I also knew would have to bring A game to that race otherwise a KQ and a Top 5 would not be possible. I had talked with my wife and she was ok with me doing early morning bikes in the bedroom while she slept in the morning and she was ok with me being gone entire Saturdays and sunday over what would be a big block in March and April.

Started a build phase of training in Feb. Goal was to get some fitness going into the EveryManJack camp at the end of Feb then use that 3 days at training camp to kick start the big 10 week block. I carried some good fitness into EMJ camp which i was a little afraid of honestly. EMJ Camp was a tough but great 3 days, never pushed that hard over a 3 day period in my life period.

EMJ Training Camp Video links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX0pAf01mDw

See Build below:

My build up to IMTX was the biggest block of training I had ever done some key things my coach and I wanted us to hit were:
-- swim weeks over 10k: Most of my swims are long endurance swims or 1k repeats with one tempo session per week.
-- 5+ 100 mile bike rides: with a lot of IM pace rides, would be most biking I had ever done.
-- More running then last year so about 30-35 miles per week: Hill work mid week otherwise runs range from 7:15-8min pace.
-- 9 day blocks with 5 days recovery.

Had planned on racing Galveston 3 weeks out from IMTX and then to just hold fitness through though Galveston with one tough weekend between the 2 races.

Galveston trained right through including a 2 hour ride the day before with Clay E. that instead of being "easy" somehow turned into a 2 hour at IM pace ride. At Galveston i made some key hydration/nutrition mistakes that lead to less then stellar run and was a good leaning experience for IMTX. (Congrats to Sean on his AG win there, can't wait to race with him again).

Maintained fitness right though IMTX with putting in some key weekend workouts each of the next 2 weekends. I was sticking to the plan but i was wondering if we were pushing to hard in the lead up to Texas, but by middle of each of the following weeks my legs seemed to always be coming around. I do credit some of this to switching my diet over to vegetation over the last year. Still thinking about the Vegan thing, but not ready to give up cheese and coffee yet.

Leading into race week kept the foot and the gas pedal and worked out every day leading up to the race, not super hard but kept the body moving. I did not leave for Houstan till 2 days before the race since i have found the more free time i have prior to races the worse I tend to do, must be a mental thing. On the day before the race my TSB was the lowest it had ever been before entering a big race. Prev races have had it around 35-40. A 5 day taper was something new for us to try and It worked!

Key Changes I made in diet in the 2 days leading up to the race. Taking advice from friends i started salt/electrolytes loading 2 days prior. I have never done this before. Noticed for the amount of fluids i was drinking in the 2 days prior I was having to pee way less, assuming that increasing the minerals altered the salt gradients in my gut and was causing more water to be retired vs simply excreted.

Day before race: followed friends advice of pancakes (great decisions), eat a loaf of bread and got my broccoli in as well (staple of my diet), stopped eating pretty much by 3:30pm with some veggies and 1.5 glasses of wine around 7pm. Asleep by about 9:30pm.

Day of race: 3:50am wake up, 200 cal of UCAN, banana, bagel, 1 cup of Starbucks all in by 4am. Took 2 more bananas with me and out the door by 4:45. Wife drove me down and we parked at the HEB plenty of parking still. Got into transition and realized i had forgot 400 calories of my bike nutrition and both my vile's of base salt (also something new for me, based on recommendations from my Austin group). Yes this freaked me out a little to already be forgetting stuff, though about just saying F it will be ok, but had enough time to drive back to hotel come back to bike and get it set up way i had planned.

Bike set up details: Conti 23TT rear/Conti SS23 front both at 98psi, SLF Motion pulleys, IceFriction chain, Xlab aero water bottle (tossed at around mile 50), giro helmet, LG M2 Tri Suit, Speed Play "aero" pedals, giro SLX shoes (still working on laces), 808/Disc

Swim 1:06:21 (26th in AG) : got to swim start about 15 min before AG race started, was very nice to have wife be able to drive me around. Put on Roke swim skin, downed 1/2 bottle of water and took one gu. Had planned to start 15 yards back off the front guys, this turned out to be a bad choice. The second the gun went off it took me about a solid min to get to the timing mats were and then was a lot of chaos in the water had to swim over people for the first 200yards or so, sure i lost a good bit of time here. I had gone 1:03 at Kona and was swimming way better now then then so figured a 1:03 was a good time to shot for at Texas. Never really found a good line all the way to first turn buoy was hard to draft based on how murky the water was. At the second turn buoy i was going to try to hug the shore a little more based on what i though was best line when i had looked over course on google maps. Once i got into the channel it got slow, felt little like the current wash pushing against you and lot of chop in the water. Finished up and saw my time on the clock thought i had swam a 1:09, was def disappointed now, but on bright side i felt incredibly fresh. This is were i think i all my long swim paid off. One thing i loved about the swim course was all the spectators that had lined up along the shoreline, support out there was great.

T1: found my bag volunteers helped me with everything as normal volunteers were fantastic. Did not put on bike shoes till i got to my bike based on how muddy the lawn was.

Bike 4:37:39 (5th best amateur bike split): Had talked with the coach about the bike and we were willing to push this some since its mostly all i got. Work the strength. BBS had told me 4:39 just that morning so i knew it would be fast. Was going to base pace off HR and power and play it little by ear as it went.
Goals: 200-205avg/205-215np HR: 75-80%, 300-400cal a hour, 2 water bottles a hour, and take in as much salt as possible (this is new once again), hold TT position at all cost (been working on this all winter on this)
Full disclose with power is there seems to be a general consensus with my friends that power meter reads low, but at least its consistent so i don't stress it.
Spent first few miles riding in the 200w range, got some calories in and water down, was still feeling pretty bummed about my swim till I got near the first out and back saw Clay E, Greg L, Rob G (never had met him prior but recognized the bike), and calculated their splits and realized i was prob in a ok spot and that everyone had swam on the slower end as well. Legs were feeling so so at this point early on, but mentally referenced back to all those training rides and knew it just takes my legs about 45 min to start feeling good (sucks getting older).
First 2 hours: Got in 4 bottles of water and 700 calories and took base salt none stop, this is the first long distance race my stomach has not hurting and I did not want to throw up. Second hour i was feeling pretty good and let power and Hr drift up, for about 15 miles of hour number 2 was riding at 215/220w. Was worried that would come back and bite me in ass latter, but was going with it. I passed Nathan Miller in this stretch, he had gone 8:50 at Az last year, I had talked to him some pre race and he did confirm to me that he took his Kona slot at IMAZ, but i figured there was a good chance he would be running me down latter so really wanted to try to put as much distance between him and me as possible to try to get on that podium. Finished up these 2 hours at 202/210w
Hour 3-4: Had eaten all the 1300 cal i had brought with me and was still starving, started taking calories off the course: Gatorade, Bananas and cliff chomps. I passed fellow EMJ teammates Justin H. and Greg L. honestly had not ever really expected to see either one of them even during the race, so this was a pretty good confidence boost. Chatted with both of them briefly and kept on going. Legs were also starting to ache just a little now and I had caught up to 2 other riders who I could not seem to get passed, we played that game of I pass you you pass me for 3-5 miles. Made the decision just to hang back the 6 bike lengths from them and just pace off them a little, was easier mentally at this point. This did mean i would have to let my power drop as well, but Hr had been running at 79-81% for a while and figured I was in a really good position for the run now so was worth backing off just a tad keep getting food and water in and make sure i could run well. Finished up the hour avg 192/196w
Last 37 min: Got little bit of cross tail wind coming back home I think but not sure. I know i had put time into all my competitors in my AG and it was all about setting up the run now. Headwind on way back on toll way and crushed the dream of a sub 4:30. At this point was all alone crowds were awesome and cheering (its pretty cool to be ridding solo coming down the last stretch) on this last section and backed way off the power; got 1 bottle of gatorade and one bottle of water in, peed 2x and got down last of the Cliff Chomps i had. Felt pretty good honestly, hindsight 20/20 should maybe have kept pushing the watts this last 30 min.

Totals for the bike 197/206w (yes i have a pretty low cda confirmed at ERO), about 1800-1900cal (including the gatorade), 6 bottles of water, 2 bottles of gatorade, 1.5 full vile's of Base Salt. Pee around 10x, which is less then normal for me in a IM (yes my left shoe smells awful).

Run: Came into transition feeling pretty good, was chatting/joking with volunteers as i got my bag. Got to changing tent where it was just me and one other racer so had 3 volunteers all to myself (one advantage to biking well) helping me with shoes, hat, socks........ off we go!!! My run has let me down in so many races to this point. 1:30 has eluded me in a half these last 4 yrs, my death march at Kona and poor run at Galveston 3 weeks prior were not big confidence boosters either. But, here we are again never the less. I knew that Juan V. was out in front somewhere (pre race bib stalked had lead me to think he would be AG winner and I would never seem him on race day) i did not know that Nathan Buttrick (former pro) was out there to! I meet both these guys at awards both super nice / humbly guys that are still in a different zip code from me in race times, but happy to get opportunity to race against them. My best guess at this point was in 2nd or 3rd place in AG Saw the wife coming out of T2 and she waved and yelled some words of encouragement. Someone else yelled to me i was 6-7th amateur at this point.

Goals for the run: start slow (8min miles) keep HR under 80% re-eval at miles 8, 16, 22. Take in Gu Roctaine every 2-4 miles, drink water and take salt no matter how my stomach felt. Dont walk. Had been training with the Gu all winter to since it has higher amino acid content then what i had used in past and I am all about minerals/electrolytes/salt now.

Run Gear: LG M-2 kit, Hoka Clayton, sock guy socks, booc hat (has wide brim blocks sun well), Oakley EV, 4 Gu's: lemonade and vanilla orange with 4 more at special needs. 2 vile's Base Salt.

First 1/3 mile right after Moxie Bridge I look down and i am running a 6:45! Damnit, slow down!

Running the first loupe totally alone, minus a couple of the pros that blow past me, was a very cool thing. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then mile 8 Nicholas Brown passes me, he is in my AG this puts me in 3-4th place. He is running way faster then me so i don't even attempt to hang with him for long. Then Greg comes along less then 1-2 min latter! Greg is great and I love talking to Greg, but I did not want to see him quite this early, drat. Ok so through mile 9 and in 4-5th place. On the bright side for the first time ever I actually feel amazingly good, legs feel good and pace is sub 8. I keep waiting for the crash but it never comes. Crowd support is great out there. Racing for EMJ is truly awesome great in term of how many people know the brand/name and offer words of encouragement along the run course. I see the wife every 8 miles, along with the other EMJ wives out there, all cheering on. Justin wife keeps letting me know what place I am in which is a helpful reminder to keep pushing, even though i am sure any minute a wave of dudes is going to come blowing past me. I hit mile 20 still feeling good! Amazingly enough pace is still in the sub 8 range, take a pee while walking at mile 20 that I have been holding that last 5 miles. Still no one else in AG has passed me! Ok last 4 miles to go at this point i have to somehow hold on just so I don't have to go race IMCA in July. Mange to run a 7:42 and 7:45 mile back to back for miles 22 and 23. Mile 24 and 25 slip back to a 7:57 and 7:58. Mile 26 slightly downhill and am able to hit 7:30 pace, I see someone in front of me that I am catching so make a push to catch them but as i round the finally corner I hear Mike Riley call out the guys in front of me name "Rob Gray," sigh of relief he is not in my AG anymore but still push all the way through the finish due to rolling start you never know.

Run takeaways: I think adding base salt helped. Increased miles in training helped. Not going out to hard allowed me to run even splits for most part. Pretty basic stuff here. Debatable if backing off the last 30 min of the bike was a good or bad idea. It really was just a long training day that I felt was less painful then a 70.3.

Post Race: Super stoked to lay down a PR race (even if bike course was 2 miles short), the small details matter, listen to your coach, make sure your wife is happy. Great meeting some ST guys at awards. Still 6 days latter I super stoked! Cant thank: volunteers, EMJ teammates and sponsors, and my wife enough for the support in the lead up and race day, without them its not possible.

(I apologize for grammatical or spelling errors not my strong point)

Hope this helps someone out there get better and faster! Thanks for reading.

Edit: added EMJ Camp videos.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Apr 28, 17 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice write up and EXCELLENT race.
congrats!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats again on a hell of a race!! You put in the work and absolutely killed it out there!! Well deserved KQ. And great report too, thanks for sharing.
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 28, 17 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been a total pleasure getting to know you and watching your progress and dedication to the craft over the years. i can't believe we spent a season on the same team without ever crossing paths, lol.

you inspire me to put more effort into my training. alas, i am lazy and just had some dumplings. that's why your goals are kona, and mine are sub 10. lol.

congrats broski, can't wait to see you redeem yourself on the big island!

john
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know John that was my first yr doing triathlon, i had not clue what i was doing let alone a "group ride"

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write up.

Mind if ask your weight and TSS for the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
156-157 and 230TSS on the bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:38 on less than 200 watts...that's beyond impressive.

Congratulations on your race
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My freinds swear my PM is low but so is my Cda, not sure what the answer is but every race is like this. Galveston it did a 2:14 on 216w avg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
My freinds swear my PM is low but so is my Cda, not sure what the answer is but every race is like this. Galveston it did a 2:14 on 216w avg

nahh dude, you're super slippery. you cross all your t's and dot all your i's.

i don't think there is much on the table that you haven't addressed.. perhaps 1x setup, some of those shin sleeves, and bike overall weight is all you have left. better start upping that FTP! lol.

just noticed on strava that you're in town. hit me up if you brought your bike. we're riding at 7:30.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

nahh dude, you're super slippery. you cross all your t's and dot all your i's.

i don't think there is much on the table that you haven't addressed.. perhaps 1x setup, some of those shin sleeves, and bike overall weight is all you have left. better start upping that FTP! lol.

just noticed on strava that you're in town. hit me up if you brought your bike. we're riding at 7:30.

Yea Robs set up has me intrigued! Quick trip to boston for class reunion, will be running on charles early tomorrow morning after a late night tonight. Hit me up if you want to tie in!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brendan, I have been wondering who from EMJ I rode near for the last 10 -15 miles of the bike and then came into T2 at basically the exact same time. Seeing your splits, I think it may have been you. My swim was 1:07 and bike 4:36. Did you ask a guy in T2 if we rode under 4:40? If so, that was me.Nice race, btw. I finished with a 3:38 marathon, which is not bad for mean time of 9:28, for 3rd in M45-49. Anyway, just curious if that was you in T2.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea highly possible, you would have passed me on that last stretch leading into T2 but then i would have caught back up on run to the bags in T2. The only guys that passed me out there were 2 guys from 40-49 I think.......did you feel swim was super slow as well? Also nice race, running sub 3:30 on legs older then mine is impressive, I only hope my legs hold up that long!

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Apr 29, 17 4:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on an awesome race and thank you for taking the time to write up the race report. I always enjoy reading them and learn something every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! I only have one question: you seriously at an ENTIRE loaf of bread the day before the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured someone else would ask this one, but I was more amazed that you peed on yourself a dozen times during the race!?!?!! Impressive! I've never been able to do it. Teach me your ways Jedi master! Lolololololol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the details in your report!!! Congratulations on a great day. You mention that you are "all about the electrolytes" now. I am curious, what did they help you with? Muscle cramps? or overall performance? I have been thinking about adding them into what I do. Thanks!!!

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People should look at your weekly average for hours. FOP dudes are not always putting in onerous hours. Consistency, progression, and specificity are more important than crazy big hours.

I would also bet your PM is a little low(precise but not accurate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Brendan - great report and it was great to meet you in person!

So due to the chip time, you actually beat me even though you crossed the line just after me. I think Lindquist finished just in front of me so it was like an EMJ sandwich. Seeing you behind me spurred me on to finish strong... it's not the first time I am being gunned down my EMJ guys so when I see the kit I automatically rev up another gear. This year I'm gonna train my ass off just to avoid the EMJ train running me down on the QueenK again as per usual.

I do think your PM reads a bit low, but not by a huge amount. Here are some comparisons:
- Bothelo 4:29 on 256w
- Buttrick 4:32 on 250w
- Me 4:31 on 233w
- You 4:37 on 200w

Those guys are not set up badly, but by eyeballing their pics I think I am a little bit more slippery than them, which accounts for the difference (my racing CdA is .225 according to the BBS aero analyzer).

Now, looking at your pics, I think you are more aero than me (until I get my new smaller Dimond frame, that is!). I'm as slammed as I can get, but my new frame gives me a lower stack which will help. I'm sure some of the aero geeks may be able to calculate an actual number, but maybe your PM is only about 10-15 watts low (I'm pulling that number out of the air though, it's Saturday morning and I need to go ride my bike!)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great race report and excellent race. I'm curious to know if you did any type of faster runs than 7:15-8 pace? If so, how many times per week? What pace was your long run done at? What was your longest run?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Bothelo 4:29 on 256w
- Buttrick 4:32 on 250w
- Me 4:31 on 233w
- You 4:37 on 200w

When you put those numbers laid out like that makes more sense.

I worked all winter on keeping head down more and keeping shoulders tucked in better then last year. My ERO cda 0.2109, sure it goes up some with racing but my position is better then when I tested I am pretty sure as well. Pretty sure guys I ride with here would say its off 10-15w to. I am maxed out on this frame and have wondered if I could gain anything by dropping more or if this is as good as it gets? X1 Setup my be my last option for some free speed.

Yea Rob when I saw you up there at mile 26 I was so worried I had just missed you and my dream of top 5 in Ag was over! Glad you have aged up, will looked forward to doing this over again in few months with you fully trained think I will be coming in behind you in Kona.

Question for you: do you think with more drop that it may put more work on your quads which will affect your run?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! Thank you for taking the time to write up this report. Packed with super valuable info and analysis. Also, your bike looks incredible.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report + Build to race. 9:11, 5th M35-39, 14th Amateur. Breakthrough race. [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
People should look at your weekly average for hours. FOP dudes are not always putting in onerous hours. Consistency, progression, and specificity are more important than crazy big hours.

I would also bet your PM is a little low(precise but not accurate).

Yea I don't do crazy high hours or milage but for last 4 years hours have always been crazy consistent in time I put in. This yr was the first year that my body could actually handle higher miles/hours week in week out and not breakdown. Not sure if it was the 3 previous yrs adding up or diet changes, maybe little of both? Like most I do work a 42-45 hour week job owning my own business.

For me having a coach was also key to figure out how to best use those hours that I do have, I really commend the guys that do it self coaching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

Question for you: do you think with more drop that it may put more work on your quads which will affect your run?

Your position looks pretty darn good. I don't think the additional quad work will cause your run too many problems, at least not after training a lot in the new position. But I'm not sure you need to go lower.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply

Prev Next