Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53
Quote | Reply
Full Report is here. http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/...xas-race-report.html

I went into this race with high expectations. The goal was to challenge for a Kona slot. I was calm going into the race. Being a new father has given me much needed perspective. At the end of the day, I have an amazing daughter, a loving/supportive wife, and amazing parents and sisters. Triathlon is a hobby and I am fortunate to have the strength, good health, and support to pursue lofty goals. The day began right on target. I got in the lead pack on the swim and came in amongst the top amateurs. I nailed my pacing with few pennies spent. I was able to swim good tangents and draft a few of the lead guys the majority of the way. Hit T1 in perfect position.

Out on the bike I spent the early miles alone. Thats the downside of being a FOP swimmer. Racing out front can be mentally draining (I don't know how the pros do it). I executed my bike leg well. Best Bike Split had me at 4:08 with target power of 245 watts. Actual numbers.....Bike Split- 4:08, Avg Power- 239, Normalized Power- 241, Variability Index 1.01...the numbers say the ride was well executed. Unfortunately it felt like I was chasing watts all day. They didn't come as easily as I am accustomed at a tapered A race. Nonetheless I got the work done and paced my ride well. By about Mile 20 guys started passing me. There were a lot of heavy hitters on the bike. Guys were hammering. I could not believe how hard people were riding. I'd like to think I'm no slouch on the bike but guys were blowing by me like I was standing still. That was a bit of a mind f*ck, but I tried to block the noise and followed my data and hit my numbers. Last 25 miles felt better than the first 25 miles...felt like that was a good sign going into the run.

The run plan was to hold 150-155 HR in the early stages and negative split my effort by loops. Started out the run on target. The heat made it hard to hit 150 but I was running 7:50-8:00 miles at 155ish while walking the aid stations. The numbers were good but I felt quad weakness and pain fairly early on. I am accustomed to this feeling and it is usually the death knell for a good run. Finished loop 1 on target. Loop 2 HR was at 150 but pace was slipping along with my mental toughness. I made myself run every step of that second loop. By the time I got to loop 3 I was in pretty rough shape. Quads were fully blown out and I was in damage control. Tried to run as much as I could but there was a lot of walking. I'm sure many of you will think that I rode too hard, but the data from the last few years is telling me I rode exactly what I am capable of...but the proof is in the pudding and I need to consider that possibility in light of my disappointing run result. In the end it was my worst Ironman run despite 8 months of my best run training ever....frustrating

The day was weird on multiple levels. We had every type of weather imaginable. Cool overcast skies for the swim and the early miles of the bike, baking heat for the last hour of the bike and the first 2/3 of the run, and then one of the most insane thunderstorms I've seen at the end of the run. I was fortunate that I had only 2 miles to go when the bad stuff hit.....and it was bad! My last mile was into a crazy headwind, driving rain and golf ball size hail pelting me in the head....pretty scary stuff. The finisher chute was pretty un-ceremonial as the volunteers were screaming at me to take cover...that was a new one!

This race was very emotional for me. I think a lot of it had to do with being a new father and having my daughter there. I often get emotional at random times during Ironman. I think it is the combination of extreme fatigue, gratitude to those that support me, and the love for my family. It was amped up at IMTX. I got tearful 4 or 5 times. I also struggled dealing with the pain. Ironman hurts a lot and I spent far too much time thinking about how much I wanted the pain to stop on the run. Wrong attitude if you want to make it to the big show.

I won't sugar coat it. I am very disappointed with the result. There is no magic formula for my KQ chances. If I want to get to Kona I have to run 3:30 with my swim and bike (and even then its no guarantee). Looking at the results, that would have put me in the mix for one of the last slots. It gets harder every year to get up off the mat when these races fall short of expectations. I know I am capable of KQ, I just haven't had my day yet. I am keeping the faith but the yearly pursuit is definitely taking its toll. I guess its good I'm really persistent!

Thanks for reading and checking out the full blog post

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you had the brightest bike on course! Man i just wish i had your swim! Nice write up keep at it.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race. I may have missed this, but what kind of open run race times are you putting up? How long have you been running that kind of mileage? What is your FTP in W/kg and what IF did you ride? Are you a bigger dude (I am guessing based on your power numbers) and if so, why not target a cooler race? I'd think Texas plays to the skinny guys who can swim and run. Why not a tough bike course with a cooler run?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best open half marathon is 1:24 and my best open marathon is 3:10. Hoping to keep my run volume up through the fall and take another crack at a sub 3 open mary. I ran about 1700 miles in 2014 and 2015...on pace for 2000 this year. Im not a great runner by any stretch but I have been working hard and steadily improving. I swam in college and I am a big guy (for a triathlete). I am 6'5 and race at 185. I could probably get a touch leaner but I race pretty thin....unfortunately I have big arms and shoulders from a life of swimming. My FTP is about 330. At IMTX I rode Avg power of 239, Norm power of 241. VI was 1.01. Im about 84 Kg so Watts/Kg is 3.9.

I actually have liked warm races in the past. I live in Richmond, Va so its pretty hot and humid here. The heat didn't really bother me this year....last year I didn't deal with it well. I don't think heat was my issue.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
My best open half marathon is 1:24 and my best open marathon is 3:10. Hoping to keep my run volume up through the fall and take another crack at a sub 3 open mary. I ran about 1700 miles in 2014 and 2015...on pace for 2000 this year. Im not a great runner by any stretch but I have been working hard and steadily improving. I swam in college and I am a big guy (for a triathlete). I am 6'5 and race at 185. I could probably get a touch leaner but I race pretty thin....unfortunately I have big arms and shoulders from a life of swimming. My FTP is about 330. At IMTX I rode Avg power of 239, Norm power of 241. VI was 1.01. Im about 84 Kg so Watts/Kg is 3.9.

I actually have liked warm races in the past. I live in Richmond, Va so its pretty hot and humid here. The heat didn't really bother me this year....last year I didn't deal with it well. I don't think heat was my issue.

That is very respectable run mileage. With those open running race times, it seems to me a big ask to run a 3:30 off an IM bike with an IF of 0.73 in those conditions, unless you are biking huge volumes. Your swim is outstanding, obviously, and you have top of the line bike equipment and a very good but not exceptional FTP.

Seems to me you can increase your KQ chances in a few ways:
1) swim easier. I'm not sure how much effort you are exerting, but given your swim background and speed, you may be over-doing it on the swim and paying for it later.
2) increase FTP. No way around it. Your W/kg is good but should be higher if you want to guarantee KQ.
3) not sure how dialed in your aero is, but eyeballing it looks like you are doing everything right in that department.
4) ride at a lower IF, save more juice for your run. If you crunch the numbers with BBS, often 10 W only gives you 5 minutes or so on the bike leg, but can easily cost you twenty on the run.
5) you gotta run faster. An easier swim, an easier bike, and more run fitness. Not sure what kind of run training you are doing, but if you aren't getting faster, then change it up. Also, consider swimming less. You could probably cruise to a sub-1 hr swim off of 1 hr/week, and maybe that extra run mileage year-round is what it is going to take to break through a run plateau.

You are close. A breakthrough in your FTP and/or the ability to run a 3:20 and you have it in the bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting your race report and good luck on the KQ pursuit. I'm also an ex-swimmer, in M35-39 and hoping to KQ - however I'm in Australia and my hopeful qualification race is IM Cairns in just under 3wks time. I've never had an Ironman swim outside of the top 4 swim splits so I can completely relate to the lonely start of the bike and the feeling of getting swamped at mile 20. However IM Cairns is a rolling start which I've never done before. I'd love to hear your advice on how to seed for the swim. Common sense would say to seed at the front but I wonder if there is any merit to seeding back a bit, swimming up to the front and having more company at the start of the bike. Would you do things any differently next time?

thanks and good luck for the next race
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:
Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting your race report and good luck on the KQ pursuit. I'm also an ex-swimmer, in M35-39 and hoping to KQ - however I'm in Australia and my hopeful qualification race is IM Cairns in just under 3wks time. I've never had an Ironman swim outside of the top 4 swim splits so I can completely relate to the lonely start of the bike and the feeling of getting swamped at mile 20. However IM Cairns is a rolling start which I've never done before. I'd love to hear your advice on how to seed for the swim. Common sense would say to seed at the front but I wonder if there is any merit to seeding back a bit, swimming up to the front and having more company at the start of the bike. Would you do things any differently next time?

I always try and position myself round quicker swimmers for drafting. You start in a slower wave, you'll be the fastest there and will be swimming solo before long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to take a minute to thank you for the great write up. I have 3 daughters myself and am in your
age group although nowhere even near the high performer you are. I also have a tendency to get a bit
emotional so it was nice to see someone who is right at the pinnacle of AG performances still being fully
in touch with their human side and not just an HTFU machine. Thanks again for taking the time to write up
a thoroughly enjoyable read!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input

"you have top of the line bike equipment and a very good but not exceptional FTP"
#harshrealities

I agree that I think I have maximized my aerodynamics with a great bike fit and excellent equipment. At this point I could potentially make some very marginal gains with equipment at very big $$$. I also agree that my FTP probably needs to come up a bit or I need to lose 10 pounds. Either option sucks and is going to be painful.

"1) swim easier. I'm not sure how much effort you are exerting, but given your swim background and speed, you may be over-doing it on the swim and paying for it later."

My race plan always involves swimming as easy as possible to keep me at the front. I always make a conscious decision to be relaxed and easy on the swim. Whatever the split is, I know it will be within a 3-4 minute window and I know it won't make or break my day. My perception is that I'm already doing this....but maybe I am working too hard...

"2) increase FTP. No way around it. Your W/kg is good but should be higher if you want to guarantee KQ."

Agreed and this sucks. Dreading the idea of finding another 10 watts on FTP or losing 10 pounds. Either option...not fun

"3) not sure how dialed in your aero is, but eyeballing it looks like you are doing everything right in that department."

I have a very high quality bike fit and pretty top notch gear. Gen 2 Speed concept, Firecrest 808 front with latex tubes and GP4000S, Super9 rear with latex tube and GP4000S, LG P-09 helmet, LG M2 tri-suit....no nonsense strapped to my frame. BTA bottle, one rear seat cage (which I rarely use), and one cage on the downtube

"4) ride at a lower IF, save more juice for your run. If you crunch the numbers with BBS, often 10 W only gives you 5 minutes or so on the bike leg, but can easily cost you twenty on the run."

This is something I have considered....I have 5 years of pretty solid power data in training peaks and the data is telling me I am riding exactly what I should be. Obviously I am not getting results so the reality might be that I need a higher FTP and lower IF.

"5) you gotta run faster. An easier swim, an easier bike, and more run fitness. Not sure what kind of run training you are doing, but if you aren't getting faster, then change it up. Also, consider swimming less. You could probably cruise to a sub-1 hr swim off of 1 hr/week, and maybe that extra run mileage year-round is what it is going to take to break through a run plateau. "

Agree 100%. I am definitely going to continue on my current trajectory of increasing run volume to build run fitness. However, there may need to be some changes within that volume to get me some extra oomph. Something to discuss with the coach for sure. I could definitely probably swim less. The issue for me is all about feel. I could swim an hour a week and do a one hour Ironman swim but I would feel like absolute shit and gassed getting on the bike (i used to do this and decided I didn't care for it). Swimming 3-4x a week is probably excessive but it isn't limiting my run volume. The only downside might be a bit more bulk in the arms and shoulders than I need. Truthfully 90% of my swimming is easy and steady.

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:
Hi Danny,

I would recommend getting in the front of the line and staying there. Self seed yourself right where you belong. Its a bit annoying working your way up to the front of the crowd (a lot of Type A guys are going to want to be there regardless of whether they belong based on swim speed), and the first couple hundred meters can be pretty rough but my experience is that you will have open water early on and can get in with a group of similarly good swimmers to work together.

Good luck at Cairns!

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
I just want to take a minute to thank you for the great write up. I have 3 daughters myself and am in your
age group although nowhere even near the high performer you are. I also have a tendency to get a bit
emotional so it was nice to see someone who is right at the pinnacle of AG performances still being fully
in touch with their human side and not just an HTFU machine. Thanks again for taking the time to write up
a thoroughly enjoyable read!

Thanks very much. There was definitely a time when I did not have such good perspective. Thank goodness my daughter has remedied that. Thanks for taking the time to read and I appreciate the kind words!

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good info here, but some not so good.

You have some good indicators of potenialy qualifying for Kona but its not enough yet. The run time needs to come down for your open HM, but running 3:30 off the bike means 1) youre picking the wrong race to qualify 2) you are over biking. Racing at 2.9-3.0 is a decent w/kg for an AG but running that far off your potenial means that you need to work on somethings, training and nutrition. 3) don't swim easier. 4) You may not be strong enough YET to qualify for Kona

Yes, threshold watts need to be above 4.0

Don't rush it, just keep training.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I've done two brick runs after long rides recently just a few miles from the woodlands and in the exact same conditions as IMTX. One of them was the day of. Anyway, my runs were really crappy, so I cut the second one short at 7 miles and did the rest of it on a treadmill indoors. After 7 miles in that crap, I went from nearly throwing up from dehydration and heat at a 10:30 pace to easily cruising along in zone 2 at a low 9 min mile. IMTX is definitely not a place to KQ if you're on the bubble and you weigh more than 140 lbs. In a cooler race, you probably could have run your target pace. (Always probably. lol) . I was a bit shocked myself to see the difference, but seeing is believing. Don't give up and start looking for better races for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We finished right around the exact same time during the storm--my finish line pic looks very similar (including the frozen 9:19:18 finish line clock). While my swim is still horrible, the biggest thing that has helped me drop my run times has been increasing bike volume. I know that is probably harder now being a parent, but getting to the point where you feel fresh after biking 112 (or 94) may be just as beneficial as driving up FTP (although I recognize it didn't sound like you were gassed at TX).

Good luck and keep at it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
We finished right around the exact same time during the storm--my finish line pic looks very similar (including the frozen 9:19:18 finish line clock). While my swim is still horrible, the biggest thing that has helped me drop my run times has been increasing bike volume. I know that is probably harder now being a parent, but getting to the point where you feel fresh after biking 112 (or 94) may be just as beneficial as driving up FTP (although I recognize it didn't sound like you were gassed at TX).

Good luck and keep at it.

Thanks....that finish was really crazy huh. Running up that dirt hill with the river flowing down into the wind and hail was pretty wild.

Im not opposed to the big bike volume in fact thats how I used to train for years. I used to do 4 or 5 centuries before an Ironman. Now I don't have time for that, and I maybe rely too much on my prior years of training. In truth I didn't feel gassed coming off the bike. I felt pretty good. It just went south kind of quickly.

I have been dealing with the quad failure issue for a few races in a row. Interestingly, I had the same experience in my last open Marathon last November. I went through Mile 20 at 2:18 right on target for a 3:00 run and then quads promptly blew out...That was with no biking before hand. I am definitely exploring every avenue for improvement now that I am on a tighter schedule with the kid...but bigger bike volume might be the key.

thanks for reading and congrats on your race

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danny.... I know we don't really know each other but my honest opinion just based off photo's, facebook, and your blog....... I would suggest shedding weight. I think this will help you tremendously with running and racing in the heat. Just make sure you try not to lose too much as you can start losing bike power. You'll know when you are at that breaking point. And as others have said, increase your w/kg. All those guys blowing by you on the bike does not bode well for someone trying to KQ.

I'll see you raleigh.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting about the quads. Maybe it is a running form issue rather than a fitness issue.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agreeing here. I don't 100% believe in the people saying that your open run times have to come down. My half marathon PR is a minute slower than yours, but I did run in the 3:20s at my first IM. Running speed is not your limiter here, running well off the bike is. That takes usually more bike volume, and maybe a lower intensity racing on the bike (lose 5 min on the bike to maybe gain 10 on the run).

FWIW, I had a similar race. I finished 6 minutes after you, was hoping for a Kona slot but overheated in the run and had my slowest IM marathon ever. Don't diminish the effect of the heat! It got to me and I'm a significantly smaller runner, although only acclimated to the northeast.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Danny.... I know we don't really know each other but my honest opinion just based off photo's, facebook, and your blog....... I would suggest shedding weight. I think this will help you tremendously with running and racing in the heat. Just make sure you try not to lose too much as you can start losing bike power. You'll know when you are at that breaking point. And as others have said, increase your w/kg. All those guys blowing by you on the bike does not bode well for someone trying to KQ.

I'll see you raleigh.

Hey Steve. I don't disagree with you but it is hard at my size to get much skinnier. I am always blown away by guys that can get down into the 160's or low 170's at my height. I just have a big frame. Truthfully I think my floor is 178 or so but it is insanely tough to get there....as it is I eat salads at 80% of my meals. I could do better with the late night snacking and sweet tooth for sure....this is just what my wife wants to hear...lose more weight. She already thinks Im skeletor.

I was exaggerating somewhat on the guys blowing by me at Texas. In truth I did get passed but I was off the bike in 10th place, so still well positioned.

Hopefully Ill see you down at Raleigh with Eric.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood. You know your body the best and ultimately you know what works for you (not some dudes on the interwebs). I obviously don't know what your eating daily but it sounds like you already have put emphasis on it. It also sounds like it would be a big challenge to lose more and this is how people get sick and not able to perform on race day. Nothing wrong with a sweet tooth or late night snacks.... I have the same problem. So I would say, stick to what you are eating and just be smart about it. Let the weight do what it wants and just focus on executing each workout.

Ok that sounds better about the bike. I took it kind of literally.... my bad.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
stevej wrote:

I'll see you raleigh.

Hey Steve. I don't disagree with you but it is hard at my size to get much skinnier. I am always blown away by guys that can get down into the 160's or low 170's at my height. I just have a big frame. Truthfully I think my floor is 178 or so but it is insanely tough to get there....as it is I eat salads at 80% of my meals. I could do better with the late night snacking and sweet tooth for sure....this is just what my wife wants to hear...lose more weight. She already thinks Im skeletor.

I was exaggerating somewhat on the guys blowing by me at Texas. In truth I did get passed but I was off the bike in 10th place, so still well positioned.

I'm similar size to you (both height and weight). Most people look at me and consider me very lean already. My wife says I'm too skinny. But, the reality is, I'd probably be faster on the bike and run if I weighed 175 instead of 185. Like you, I find that to be an immense struggle and the lowest I've been able to achieve is 178.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks for your detailed reply. Really enjoyed your report and thoughts. Best of luck in the next IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. How many long rides with and without runs did you do in the lead up? Curious because as opposed to others I think that your numbers are there but the x factor that you have not described is training volume and long days.

I am a more on the fast twitch spectrum of things and for me unless I do a fair number of longer days (eg 100 mile ride with a short run on one day followed by a longer run the next with a shorter bike) in training my body can't handle the all day effort involved in an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Thanks for posting. How many long rides with and without runs did you do in the lead up? Curious because as opposed to others I think that your numbers are there but the x factor that you have not described is training volume and long days.

I am a more on the fast twitch spectrum of things and for me unless I do a fair number of longer days (eg 100 mile ride with a short run on one day followed by a longer run the next with a shorter bike) in training my body can't handle the all day effort involved in an Ironman.

So I had a pretty big month of April. My weekly hours were: 15:04, 16:42, 20:11, and 16:02 (I average about 14 hours per week over the course of the year so I am very consistent). The last few builds I have done have included one huge training weekend based on a plan by Gordo Byrne. Me and my buddies call it a "Gordo" weekend.

Day 1: 30 mile ride with two 30 minute intervals at 70.3 wattage followed by 4 mile brick run
Day 2: 4000 yard swim, 4:30-5 hours on the bike, followed by 10K brick run. For my long ride I did three 30 mile intervals at 235, 245, and 260 watts respectively....my brick run was rubbish. The only bad workout of the weekend
Day 3: 18 mile IM sim run done as 1 mile w/u then 3x (5 miles @ 7:30-7:45 pace (subject to 155 HR limit) and 5 minute EZ jog)
Day 4: 3500 swim, 6 mile brick run

It was probably my best overall Gordo of the 3 or 4 that I have done so I felt my fitness was there. In hindsight my only bad workout was probably the most important which was the 10K off the long ride. I didn't attach to much significant at the time...I thought it was poor nutrition....since I woke up early the following morning and nailed my 18 miler, but maybe it was a sign of a potential weakness.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report- 29th M35-39- 9:15:53 [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
stevej wrote:

I'll see you raleigh.

I'm similar size to you (both height and weight). Most people look at me and consider me very lean already. My wife says I'm too skinny. But, the reality is, I'd probably be faster on the bike and run if I weighed 175 instead of 185. Like you, I find that to be an immense struggle and the lowest I've been able to achieve is 178.

The big man struggle is real...we picked a hobby that does not favor our body type!

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next