Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting
Quote | Reply
I am a 47-year old coach and triathlete, who has been racing 70.3 since 2010 and 140.6 since 2012. I have completed five IM and last weekend I tried IM, but I did not finish.
My biggest challenge when I race IM is the hydration and nutrition after mile 80 or so on the bike. Typically, I have my plan to drink and eat properly; but around that distance my body starts to shut down. Last weekend on IM, I got to mile 90 and after that point I was not able to drink or eat anything. Got to the 100 mile market and my speed went down, but I manage to finish without drinking fluids.
Every time that I tried to drink, I just vomited it. Water, Gatorade, any fluid or food that I tried was coming out of my mouth. I got to T2 and I forced myself to drink and eat, but it did not last longer; on mile 2, I vomited again. My body totally shut down and I was not able to drink or eat. I continue until mile 8, where I decided to DNF and avoid further damage to myself.
This is not the first time that my body shut down. It has happened in all the IM’s. In IM Arizona last year, I got to mile 9 on the run, and when I stopped in a water station to hydrate, I was not able to do so and I start vomiting. From that point on, I have to walk/ run to finish, but no fluids intake.
I have been working with a nutritionist since January, but it is not working. Does anybody know who can help me to solve my hydration and nutrition puzzle?
Thanks in advance !!!

Juan M Jaramillo
USAT Coach Level I
http://www.ironjuan.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [IronJuan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was you hydration/nutrition plan based on and tested against 80-90 degree heat for 5-6 hours?

Was you bike power/speed based on and tested against 80-90 degree heat for 5-6 hours?

Quote | Reply
This is not the best advertisement for your coaching services...
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you have nutrition issues during your race it doesn't mean your coach is a dumbass.

get2T2 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

If you have nutrition issues during your race it doesn't mean your coach is a dumbass.

get2T2 wrote:

No, but I would expect that someone who is a coach would have a little better grasp on his nutrition in his 6th IM
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pattersonpaul [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located and where are you training at? Arizona and Texas can offer some brutal heat and humidity and if your not accustomed to it I can see how you may encounter some issues....

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So asking for help means you are unable to help others?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
So asking for help means you are unable to help others?

No, I didn't say that. I said it isn't the best advertisement for his coaching services...i.e., I wouldn't put that on your brochure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that working with a nutritionist for 5 months in order to solve an issue like this is pretty professional. When that doesnt work, reaching to forums is no bad thing. And the ability to make others the best they can be does not break down because you are not good at IM distance yourself. Might be hard to grasp.

OP: How is your pacing? Maybe you should consider racing the bike at .7 or .65 IF. Sure it feels lame to cruise the IM bike leg at an easy effort, but if you have raised your FTP high enough even .65 will give a solid split. And at .65 you should be able to eat cake on the bike if you want to.
Also, how is your nutrition on your longer rides? It's easy to feel like you dont want to take in so much energy during training rides to increase the training effect but that extra training effect is pretty useless if you dont finish anyway. Try different stuff to eat; sports drink and gel, water and gel, water and bars, water and flapjacks, sports drink and banana, water and bananas, water and dates, and so on.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol you guys are both dicks and funny. Funny dicks? Has a nice ring to it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:

well you have to admit it's a bit funny for a guy (a coach) in his first post to try and drum up business and
ask for advice.

The short answer which I'm sure he won't want to hear is that maybe he's not really cut
out for the IM distance. That's ok, there's been a few pro triathletes who have come to that conclusion.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
copperman wrote:

well you have to admit it's a bit funny for a guy (a coach) in his first post to try and drum up business and
ask for advice.

The short answer which I'm sure he won't want to hear is that maybe he's not really cut
out for the IM distance. That's ok, there's been a few pro triathletes who have come to that conclusion.

I mean his logo is baller

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to pretend like you aren't a coach and tell you what I would tell anyone else who is having this problem repetitively: that you are over reaching as far as your fitness goes. You are either going further or harder than you have trained your body to go and this is your body's way of telling you to eff off.

So, as someone else said above, you need to bike easier so your body can take in nutrition and not shut down. If I am racing at the edge of my performance capabilities (for the conditions) I will often get a little nausea. Backing off just a little bit (lower watts on the bike, slower pace on the run) for a short duration usually lets my body reset and the nausea gets better. For me, continuing to really push it when my stomach starts to get unhappy is a recipe for badness.

I'm assuming that you have a reasonable nutrition plan for long course racing. That might be a bad assumption...... I race with only liquids for my calories and electrolytes. No solids for the duration of the race. This has worked very well for me and I have had almost no nausea or diarrhea while racing since switching to this plan.

Don't know if this is helpful at all.

ETA. I don't know what six months with a sports nutritionist would do to help you at all unless they are addressing your fitness. Call the guys at Infinit and they will talk you through an all-liquid nutrition plan that has worked for lots of athletes. Well worth your time to pick their brains even if you don't wind up going with their product.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Last edited by: wannabefaster: May 20, 15 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can i just say that the responses to this thread is a poster for why a lot of people think that slowtwitch is a bunch of elitists and snarkmeisters?

i love you folks. as move of you know, i have been at most hawaiian ironman races since 1981, in which i competed. would you like the list of athletes, from kenny glah, mark allen, jan ripple, on down 'til today, whose stomachs could not hold their contents? as pros? as in some cases coaches? who still go to that race and still have hydration and race-day nutrition issues?

are the snarky comments because you have no answer? or, now that the snark is out of your system, do you have any knowledge that you might add?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
can i just say that the responses to this thread is a poster for why a lot of people think that slowtwitch is a bunch of elitists and snarkmeisters?

i love you folks. as move of you know, i have been at most hawaiian ironman races since 1981, in which i competed. would you like the list of athletes, from kenny glah, mark allen, jan ripple, on down 'til today, whose stomachs could not hold their contents? as pros? as in some cases coaches? who still go to that race and still have hydration and race-day nutrition issues?

are the snarky comments because you have no answer? or, now that the snark is out of your system, do you have any knowledge that you might add?

I'm trying.......

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gastric stasis? I wonder if a motility agent would help. Say 10-20mg metoclopramide 3 hours into the bike? This is me thinking aloud and is not a medical recommendation. Metoclopramide can cause acute dystonia which would spoil your day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell us about your fitness level and training. How many hours a week did you train in each discipline? How did your long rides go? How intense were they?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Juan,

Maybe you can clarify,

Is your stomach backing up? Meaning you take in the food and drinks but they stay in your stomach?

The other questions others have asked are also very important, have you tried that same calorie intake from race day in practice in temperatures similar to race day? If you rode at 200 watts on race day and planned on taking in 240 calories of whatever per hour - had you tried that in hot temps with the same power output and food intake?

It sounds a lot like you are simply overcooking the bike and run. Your legs might be prepared to handle the amount of watts you are using, but your stomach might not; it's actually pretty common.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the information about Infinit.
I have a only liquids plan for IM based on Hammer Nutrition, but I will call Infinit.

Juan M Jaramillo
USAT Coach Level I
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Texas and always race in hot weather, such as Puerto Rico and Cozumel. I used the same liquid plan for training, the only difference is that we only biked 100 miles during training and I had to stop to wait for my athletes; so we don’t let anybody behind during our long rides. When my body shuts down, it means that I cannot drink or eat anything and if I try, immediately it comes out (vomiting). My fitness level is decent, I am not fast but I can do 70.3 in 5:15 – 5:30. Since, triathlon is a learning process; I need to look for all the potential opportunities to improve. Thanks

Juan M Jaramillo
USAT Coach Level I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what you have told us my inclination is that your pacing is too aggressive on race day and as a consequence your stomach rebels against you.

Here's how I see it.

Training day - 100 miles race day nutrition but effort is lower than race day due to waiting for other athletes, things work out.
Race day - same nutrition as training but higher intensity - stomach quits working.

It is hard sometimes to understand that the effort at which you can absorb nutrition is pretty much the effort you can hold on race day. As I said, often you will feel like you have more left in your legs but you need to back off due to your stomach.

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronJuan wrote:
I am a 47-year old coach and triathlete, who has been racing 70.3 since 2010 and 140.6 since 2012. I have completed five IM and last weekend I tried IM, but I did not finish.
My biggest challenge when I race IM is the hydration and nutrition after mile 80 or so on the bike. Typically, I have my plan to drink and eat properly; but around that distance my body starts to shut down. Last weekend on IM, I got to mile 90 and after that point I was not able to drink or eat anything. Got to the 100 mile market and my speed went down, but I manage to finish without drinking fluids.
Every time that I tried to drink, I just vomited it. Water, Gatorade, any fluid or food that I tried was coming out of my mouth. I got to T2 and I forced myself to drink and eat, but it did not last longer; on mile 2, I vomited again. My body totally shut down and I was not able to drink or eat. I continue until mile 8, where I decided to DNF and avoid further damage to myself.
This is not the first time that my body shut down. It has happened in all the IM’s. In IM Arizona last year, I got to mile 9 on the run, and when I stopped in a water station to hydrate, I was not able to do so and I start vomiting. From that point on, I have to walk/ run to finish, but no fluids intake.
I have been working with a nutritionist since January, but it is not working. Does anybody know who can help me to solve my hydration and nutrition puzzle?
Thanks in advance !!!

in the last 10 years of coaching. i m still searching for a athlete that had nutritional issue during a ironman. The issue you mention are pacing.....

nutritionist wont be much help for this. Slow down the first 7-8h of your race and you will be amaze at how simple nutrition is...and you will fly for the last 2-3 hours of the race...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX - DNF due to Hydration and Vomiting [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
IronJuan wrote:
Thanks in advance !!!

in the last 10 years of coaching. i m still searching for a athlete that had nutritional issue during a ironman. The issue you mention are pacing.....

nutritionist wont be much help for this. Slow down the first 7-8h of your race and you will be amaze at how simple nutrition is...and you will fly for the last 2-3 hours of the race...

Overhydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one of your athletes has his body shut down during racing, ask the following questions:

1. How often does your body shut down in training (answer is probably never)
  2. What percent of FTP were you riding at ?
  3. How often do you ride in training trying to digest 1500 calories in 5+ hours with no stopping, no coasting no drafting...in other words continuous work with no break....keep in mind that breaks allow you to digest in training, but in racing you don't get them
  4. How often do you swim hard for 2.4 miles and ride without stopping for 5-6 hours (probably never)

Once you answer those, you'll likely realize that the reason for body shutdown is biking too hard, trying to consume too much, with zero breaks. Bike easier and body may not shut down. Get used to digesting while training and it is easier in racing. Riding without breaks-coasting-drafting in training, and you can do it in race. Try all of these for the first time on race day, and it gets really hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next