Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMOO Wave Start and Snakes
Quote | Reply
Anyone think the wave start will kick up more snakes in Lake Monona?
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister is dating someone in the DNR and he said the snakes are abnormally large this year. Be thankful its wetsuit legal. If it wasn't, that would suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snakes? What snakes?

Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TrekRider68 wrote:

I haven't been down there yet, been swimming at the pool. Are the snakes bad this year?

What year have they not been bad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam there saturday and with the high water level it's much harder to see them when they blur lower. Also, with no boats due to no wake warning, they must be multiplying like wildfire. Race day could be pretty ugly..... Is there anything we could use as "chum" to lure them out of the way while the racers sneak by?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, the mild winter saw the snake (and other wildlife) population explode. You guys are nuts

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Duct Tape wetsuit closed.

I'm out for this years race, will be there to check out the start, volunteer and have a couple beers.

Good luck to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the snakes as a great motivator to stay in the middle of the washing machine, had my best swim time trying to keep from the fringes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oy mate a snaaaake?!

I was convinced IMOO was Mooloolaba and thought well that figures. Everything in Oz is out to kill you. But Wisconsin?!
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Is there anything we could use as "chum" to lure them out of the way while the racers sneak by?

Slower swimmers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of all these mf'n snakes in this mf'n lake!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
Is there anything we could use as "chum" to lure them out of the way while the racers sneak by?

Slower swimmers?

Might work. Do we go on their estimated swim split? #trustthat?
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TrekRider68 wrote:

I haven't been down there yet, been swimming at the pool. Are the snakes bad this year?

What year have they not been bad?

Great point.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So want to do this race now. Love racing and love snakes. Sounds like an ideal day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imwi in 2012. i'm a mid to bop swimmer. finished in 1:25 i think. didn't see/feel a single snake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sources tell me that Wanda/WTC are most concerned with the last wave and snake attacks. First wave will confuse and startle the native snake population and middle waves will be enough turmoil/activity to keep them away. But, they will re-group and orient themselves towards rear guard attacks on the stragglers in the last wave. If that's you, godspeed. The rescue boats will be looking for bits of floating neoprene.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
imwi in 2012. i'm a mid to bop swimmer. finished in 1:25 i think. didn't see/feel a single snake.

Not sure what the deal was in 2012 but in 2015 it was an absolute snake riddled nightmare. In fact I still have nightmares about it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim clowns will scare away the snakes...

Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

Not sure what the deal was in 2012 but in 2015 it was an absolute snake riddled nightmare. In fact I still have nightmares about it.

Make sure to wear a double cap. Avoids the puncture all the way through to the skull when you hit one squarely head-on. I didn't really understand the length of a snake's teeth until I did that swim a couple of times in late August.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be on to something.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Wave Start and Snakes [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They might have been riding along in your draft and you didn't notice.
Quote Reply