Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMNC is officially dead
Quote | Reply
Way to destroy a good thing WTC

Http://m.ironman.com/.../north-carolina.aspx

Sorry if this is a repost. I quickly scanned the first page and dusn't see it.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Nov 11, 16 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Numerous posts about it on the IMNC thread.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. This is a more general PSA then for folks not specifically following that thread. RIP. Greedy fuckers should have left it alone. I bet IMMD eats shit next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obvious that the B2B half was the prize possession for WTC and not the full.

That might be largely due to logistical concerns more than anything but that was the race they wanted.

IMMD is certainly not long for this world if there's one iota of a snafu for next year. I'm surprised it made it to next year actually. I doubt registration numbers are robust.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
It's obvious that the B2B half was the prize possession for WTC and not the full.

That might be largely due to logistical concerns more than anything but that was the race they wanted.

IMMD is certainly not long for this world if there's one iota of a snafu for next year. I'm surprised it made it to next year actually. I doubt registration numbers are robust.

Agree and the Point to Point to Point to Point course is just too logistically difficult for the race organizers and racers. Just not worth the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Agree and the Point to Point to Point to Point course is just too logistically difficult for the race organizers and racers. Just not worth the effort.

Well, except that the 70.3 is still alive and still follows the Point to Point to Point model...............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Well, except that the 70.3 is still alive and still follows the Point to Point to Point model...............

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except that it obviously wasn't too logistically difficult for Set-Up Events. They made it work and had a great event because they gave a shit about the event. Plus the local community had a stake in ensuring the race was successful. Sure, the situation this year was unfortunate but this race simply collapsed under the weight and neglect of WTC. They may very well have intended to drop the full all along.

johnnybefit wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is such a shame. Ironman keep buying up local races and essentially robbing athletes of choice, or they just put one of their own races close to or the same weekend as another local race and destroy the competition. I hate what that brand has become. Now that Vineman 70.3 has changed to IM Santa Rosa (and the date moved from July to the weekend after Wildflower, sealing it's fate along with the drought) I'm done with Ironman branded races. I didn't get into triathlon for a corporate experience. The problem is that the choice is all but gone now.....here on the west cost especially, there isn't that much choice anymore. Big Kahuna got sold to Ironman, Tri California has gone, Superfrog down in Oceanside was bought by Ironman....there's really only HITS Napa Valley left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much. They can have the same race registration as they've had over 2 races (~2800 for both 70.3 & IM), and likely cut the BS. No having to deal with those counties that only are part of the IM bike course. No having to double volunteers til midnight. If you are IM, it makes no sense to have both an IM and 70.3 on the same day. Who wants to work til 1am, when you can have the same race numbers likely and be at the bar by 6pm done for the night.

Of course I said last year. Setup Events shouldn't have to "sell out" for a race that was doing decently well. But when IM comes knocking on your door, you shut up and take their deal. It just sucks that's the "business" of today's races. You want healthy alternatives to races. But we will continue to lose good races.

As I posted in the other thread "this is the business we've chosen".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Real shame. While I don't have a ton of experience, I really thought this was a great race in a great community. Yeah, the bike course could have been nicer, but there's always something to complain about (too dull, too hilly, too technical, etc). I thought the run and swim were great and the town seemed to really like having us there. I chatted with a lot of store owners after the event and all seemed really proud to have an IM event in their city. I would imagine the 70.3 will be a popular fall event (presuming the date stays more or less the same) and perhaps they'll get a larger turnout for that. I for one, don't think logistics were the issue - the bike course was a tad crowded, but didn't strike me as especially more crowded or less than other races I've done. For a point of comparison, Nation's Triathlon is one of the bigger tris in the country and they manage to fit about 4000 racers doing a Sprint and Oly basically at the same time on a pretty small course in a very difficult environment in the Nation's Capitol. Let's not talk about the multiple canceled swims, but otherwise, I think it's pretty well run event and despite the huge crowds, I've never heard much complaint about the logistics.

Hey, it's a business, I get it....but jeez, killing off a race after one go? Seems a little shabby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Can't speak for the race organizers but I thought the race logistics for racers this year was fine and I was travelling alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Except that it obviously wasn't too logistically difficult for Set-Up Events. They made it work and had a great event because they gave a shit about the event. Plus the local community had a stake in ensuring the race was successful. Sure, the situation this year was unfortunate but this race simply collapsed under the weight and neglect of WTC. They may very well have intended to drop the full all along.

johnnybefit wrote:

Agree and the Point to Point to Point to Point course is just too logistically difficult for the race organizers and racers. Just not worth the effort for WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
For a point of comparison, Nation's Triathlon is one of the bigger tris in the country and they manage to fit about 4000 racers doing a Sprint and Oly basically at the same time on a pretty small course in a very difficult environment in the Nation's Capitol.

Kind of apples vs oranges. The Nation's Tri has road closures for maybe a few hours and it's all contained within 8-9 miles and all in DC.

The 112 mile IMNC route goes through several counties and towns that requires road closures and logistical concerns for several hours... with zero benefit to all those areas not name Wilmington. So it's a huge pain in the ass for Pender, Sampson, and Bladen counties.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 11, 16 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
globetrotterjon wrote:
For a point of comparison, Nation's Triathlon is one of the bigger tris in the country and they manage to fit about 4000 racers doing a Sprint and Oly basically at the same time on a pretty small course in a very difficult environment in the Nation's Capitol.

Kind of apples vs oranges. The Nation's Tri has road closures for maybe a few hours and it's all contained within 8-9 miles and all in DC.

The 112 mile IMNC route goes through several counties and towns that requires road closures and logistical concerns for several hours... with zero benefit to all those areas not name Wilmington. So it's a huge pain in the ass for Pender, Sampson, and Bladen counties.

Pender County is still in on the 70.3, but they also have a lot more resources than Bladen or Sampson Counties, including a very savvy EM that worked many years at the state level.

That being said, the 140.6 was workable with Setup's numbers, already showed some growing pains with this year's IMNC numbers, and would be a cluster as a stand-alone race. Getting 2500 people to the full swim start is WAY more difficult than doing the same numbers for the half. Though separating the dates would allow the half to be a reasonable 1.2 and the full a legit 2.4... as opposed to the existing 1.3 and 2.2.

I'm still concerned that 2500 people doing the same race distance is going to require them to re-think that Interstate stretch. Will NCDOT let them close westbound 140 so cyclists can have both lanes? Or at least close the ramps and move the cyclists back to the right lane.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [MR2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are fortunate to have VTSMTS in the Washington DC region. They do a stellar job organizing 30+ triathlons / year ranging from Sprint to HIM. ( http://www.vtsmts.com ) Hopefully this successful races series will not draw the gaze of Sauron (i.e. WTC).
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Pretty much. They can have the same race registration as they've had over 2 races (~2800 for both 70.3 & IM), and likely cut the BS. No having to deal with those counties that only are part of the IM bike course. No having to double volunteers til midnight. If you are IM, it makes no sense to have both an IM and 70.3 on the same day. Who wants to work til 1am, when you can have the same race numbers likely and be at the bar by 6pm done for the night.

Of course I said last year. Setup Events shouldn't have to "sell out" for a race that was doing decently well. But when IM comes knocking on your door, you shut up and take their deal. It just sucks that's the "business" of today's races. You want healthy alternatives to races. But we will continue to lose good races.

So it is cool comoanies like Setup Events to cash out and take the money, but WTC is criticized for doing a "money grab"....

Intellectual inconsistency for $200, Alex....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

So it is cool comoanies like Setup Events to cash out and take the money, but WTC is criticized for doing a "money grab"....

Sorry pal, intellectual inconsistency was bought out by WTC and will cost you $400 now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never said it was cool. I said the reality. When big business knocks on your door, you simply stfu and take the money,

I then said it sucks that that is the case in events like this.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Setup had, if anything, a minority share in the race. The majority (if not sole) owner of B2B was the Wilmington YMCA, and I don't know what the trend was over the years but the 2014 race netted around $120K for the Y. Not sure how much the YMCA cashed it out for, but it makes sense to assume it would not continue to net them $120K a year.

There was a fairly informative e-mail that Bill Scott (Setup Founder and semi-retired CEO) sent, and has been quoted in other threads, detailing some of the process and reasoning behind the decision made by Dick Jones (YMCA CEO).
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, playing devil's advocate here...

SetUp Events sold the race in 2015, believe very shortly after the race as they were late getting information up about the 2016 race. At the same time, Trihabitat, the "world class, first of its kind triathlon racing and training facility" was still trying to get up and running in Rocky Point (Pender County). One of the major team players (CEO) in Trihabitat is Bill Scott, owner of SetUp Events. In June 2015, reps were saying financing was 2/3 complete and they had won Pender County Board of Commissioners' approval. Which suggests, maybe Pender Co was cool with a training facility as it kept people off the road for training and racing?

Trihabitat website posts new content up until September 2015 (granted nothing Trihabitat-specific, just general, "eat this, free plans, stay injury free,") but for all intents and purposes, the concept is still a go. Then, Feb 22, 2016, Trihabitat says pulling plug on Pender County facility, looking to Orlando for facility. Website still up, not updated but Jim Courier and Greg Norman listed as investors in Alchemy Capital, the company behind Trihabitat. Not related to anything but fascinating nonetheless.

Did Pender Co give ok to use roads for one more IM, with idea that Trihabitat would be up and running the following year and the race would be there, thereby clearing roads in Pender Co? Then without approval for 2017, they had to give up full?

Did WTC have some sweet deal with Trihabitat, where they would move the race to the facility thereby giving Trihabitat "street-cred" among the IM community? When Trihabitat fell through, did WTC say, yeah, we'll be nice and keep the 1/2.

Just ideas. Seems interesting that a lot of things seems related.

Did B2B four times. Without a doubt my favorite race based on course (which yes, was super goofy at times) people (the town is awesome and the support was stellar) and the gear (hello?? Without Limits drinking pants?? Yes please!). It breaks my heart what has happened to this race.
Le sadz.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [stltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha you said trihabit.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [stltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stltri wrote:
OK, playing devil's advocate here...

SetUp Events sold the race in 2015, believe very shortly after the race as they were late getting information up about the 2016 race. At the same time, Trihabitat, the "world class, first of its kind triathlon racing and training facility" was still trying to get up and running in Rocky Point (Pender County). One of the major team players (CEO) in Trihabitat is Bill Scott, owner of SetUp Events. In June 2015, reps were saying financing was 2/3 complete and they had won Pender County Board of Commissioners' approval. Which suggests, maybe Pender Co was cool with a training facility as it kept people off the road for training and racing?

Trihabitat website posts new content up until September 2015 (granted nothing Trihabitat-specific, just general, "eat this, free plans, stay injury free,") but for all intents and purposes, the concept is still a go. Then, Feb 22, 2016, Trihabitat says pulling plug on Pender County facility, looking to Orlando for facility. Website still up, not updated but Jim Courier and Greg Norman listed as investors in Alchemy Capital, the company behind Trihabitat. Not related to anything but fascinating nonetheless.

Did Pender Co give ok to use roads for one more IM, with idea that Trihabitat would be up and running the following year and the race would be there, thereby clearing roads in Pender Co? Then without approval for 2017, they had to give up full?

Did WTC have some sweet deal with Trihabitat, where they would move the race to the facility thereby giving Trihabitat "street-cred" among the IM community? When Trihabitat fell through, did WTC say, yeah, we'll be nice and keep the 1/2.

Just ideas. Seems interesting that a lot of things seems related.

Did B2B four times. Without a doubt my favorite race based on course (which yes, was super goofy at times) people (the town is awesome and the support was stellar) and the gear (hello?? Without Limits drinking pants?? Yes please!). It breaks my heart what has happened to this race.
Le sadz.

I don't see how they would have held a full-distance race inside something like TriHabitat. Too many laps, out in the boonies.

The half doesn't stay out of Pender County. I really doubt they were the roadblock here, else B2B might have died years ago.

I really think WTC just wanted to keep people from having another fall 140.6 option. A more likely scenario was WTC wanted to keep the half in the fall, and move the full to the spring, but either couldn't work out a date, or one or more of the host communities wouldn't agree to a second date. Bladen and Sampson Counties might have thought it too close to the White Lake spring race, which probably puts more money in those counties than the former B2B (still essentially zero in the case of Sampson County).
Quote Reply
Re: IMNC is officially dead [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2017 version will be held on Sunday (10-22-2017)--unlike the Saturday date found in 2016 and during B2B control.
Quote Reply

Prev Next