Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMMT bike crash
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,
We got terrible news that a good friend was in a bike crash in tremblant yesterday. He is in ICU now under close observation. I don't want to go into any detail about his medical condition but needless to say he is in rough shape.

Anyways, we are trying to piece together the crash for him because he will want to know after he recovers. Did anyone witness a crash, we think it was on the big decent before halfway/finish.

Thanks - any details would be appreciated. Say a prayer for him.

m
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. A friend of mine witnessed a crash yesterday on Duplissis coming back into town. Here is what she said about the crash, don't know if it the same one.

Ironman Mont Tremblant is a monsoon. One spectacular and scary crash at the bottom of Duplessis. A guy didn't make the corner to end the first lap of the bike. He careened across the median and slid into the fence on the other side of the road. Thank God no on coming in the other direction. Guy got up amazingly.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike was a sloppy mess for sure, however it was great to see the race director in the middle of the road on the second loop telling us to reduce speeds at the site of the crash. It was about 1.5 miles up the hill and I was under the impression that when the rider crossed lanes he took out a few other riders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed witnessing or being involved in the crash by a few seconds. I was climbing on the way out on Duplessis and riders were flying down the other direction. I heard what sounded like an agonized scream or yell right behind me, and the guy next to me said "that didn't sound good." When we came back down there were two guys immobilized on back boards, and the RD and others were in the road telling everyone to slow down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to post coordinates I will message you privately. Was one of the people trying to assist. Hope he makes a full recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope your friend will be ok. I stopped to try to help until another athlete, a nurse, jumped off bike to assist. There were two men badly injured. Have been thinking about them since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saundo wrote:
Hey guys,
We got terrible news that a good friend was in a bike crash in tremblant yesterday. He is in ICU now under close observation. I don't want to go into any detail about his medical condition but needless to say he is in rough shape.

Anyways, we are trying to piece together the crash for him because he will want to know after he recovers. Did anyone witness a crash, we think it was on the big decent before halfway/finish.

Thanks - any details would be appreciated. Say a prayer for him.

m

PM sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning. Is there an update on your friend's condition?

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was descending shortly after the crash happened. I have raced in tremblant 6 times and cycled that section atleast 30 times. As a strong cyclist and woman i am always passing alot of people on that section. passing 3 or 4 cyclists close to the middle of the road both during the ascent and descent, one inch too far over and this happens. Ive had several close calls myself over the years. I spent the entire race praying for them. I do know one of the first responsders. She stayed with them until help arrived. So know that they were not alone. My suggestion to everyone is please ride that section before the race. Several times if possible. And i will continue to pray for your friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. This must have happened while I was on my way up as I saw people being attended to on my way down. I know this doesn't give you much info but I remember thinking to myself on my way up that people are going way too fast, people were screaming "on your left" multiple times just to get a gap. I ended up dropping my average speed over the next 90km by 5km/h. It's been on my mind ever since, i really hope that we get some good news from you today.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [Jstar23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never done MT, but I remember reading some race reports from the 70.3 earlier this summer mentioning crashes in a particular spot. Is this the same location? Is it a specific dangerous part of the course that needs to be addressed?
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
I have never done MT, but I remember reading some race reports from the 70.3 earlier this summer mentioning crashes in a particular spot. Is this the same location? Is it a specific dangerous part of the course that needs to be addressed?

From the description, it looks like it is the same spot... I saw the one at 70.3, and while this description is rather vague, it does seem to point to the same spot.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the same spot. Its a relatively fast decent that can get a bit tricky if its congested (even on a day with the best conditions). If you dont plan your line right, you can end up in some trouble.

Keeping those guys involved in my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

The crashed happened right in front of me. Me and about 5 other people stopped to helped them out. Both gentlemen were in bad shape one worst than the other. I'm not sure which was is your friend. There was so much water and riders taking those descents too fast. You can contact me if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
The bike was a sloppy mess for sure, however it was great to see the race director in the middle of the road on the second loop telling us to reduce speeds at the site of the crash. It was about 1.5 miles up the hill and I was under the impression that when the rider crossed lanes he took out a few other riders

I thought the guy was in a terrible position, part way down the downhill standing on the racing line through the corner. At that point in the downhill someone being too heavy on the brakes could have been just as dangerous as someone going 'too fast'.

I'd suggest they put slow signs or a no pass zone in that section if it's constantly having people crash. That said, the surface was in great condition and the race was wonderfully organized so I don't think there is any fault that can be placed on the organizers.

I saw a moto carrying a bike. I think it was a white Scott bike from memory. The fork had snapped in the same place on both sides, like someone had hacksawed through it. Must have been a horrible crash to do that to a bike - hope your friend is okay.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained on the IMMT course after this year's 70.3 race. I noticed the spot with the bump on Duplessi, it was spray painted to make it more visible.

On Sunday, while racing, I looked out for the spot and never saw it, it was raining a ton so possible I just missed it, but I did notice a rectangle of new pavement, about where I thought the bump was, I can't confirm but I think it is possible they fixed the bump before IM which is pretty cool. I also noticed the race director on the Duplessi course signaling to people descending to slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I believe that rectangle was the bump that was fixed. I noticed it too.

chbelair wrote:
I trained on the IMMT course after this year's 70.3 race. I noticed the spot with the bump on Duplessi, it was spray painted to make it more visible.

On Sunday, while racing, I looked out for the spot and never saw it, it was raining a ton so possible I just missed it, but I did notice a rectangle of new pavement, about where I thought the bump was, I can't confirm but I think it is possible they fixed the bump before IM which is pretty cool. I also noticed the race director on the Duplessi course signaling to people descending to slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [mkserge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a post on facebook today detailing injuries of one of the folks who crashed, believed it mentioned broken leg, ribs, fractured spine. In ICU, hopefully recovering.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedy Recoveries for all, and thank you to the support crews.

First post on the site - hello. Any other updates on the folks involved? I'm still really worried about them.

I was a secondary crash at that site - Neon Yellow/Green Trek Speed Concept, Boyd Wheels - I was seeing stars for a few minutes so my memory may be a little hazy.

The initial crash happened just a minute or two before I came down and around the same corner.

As I was descending in aero with hand on rear brake, I came around that corner and the official was in the middle of the road signalling folks to slow down. The medical folks were just showing up and there were bikes and people laid out on the course. Of course it was so fast that I could be wrong.... I was either to going to hit him, barely avoid him or crash and unfortunately when I started to feather my brake harder my bike flipped out from underneath me.

I went to the right, slid about 40 feet and my bike went to the left. It was a solo crash, my head hit first and I got a good case of road rash.

I came to my senses and ran across the street to get out of the way. I was asked if I was okay, I said yes and the crews started stabilizing one guy that I could see. From what I gather, a gentlemen descending ran into a few people on the ascent. There was no fence on the ascent side and at least one person and bike went down the hill, that's what the rider standing next to me said.

My front rim was toast and I thought my race was done. I stood there for a few minutes just gathering my wits, then my buddy who i was racing with rode up and stopped. He is in medicine with an EMT background and he checked me out. At that point I thought the race for me was done. He went on his way and I just waited while everyone else was taken care of. I couldn't help anyone cause I would have been in the way and I didn't want to ask anyone for help while there were people less fortunate with their injuries being assisted.

After the med carts took off, I was asked if I was going to continue. I said no and showed the guy my front wheel. He said, "no problem, hold on a minute." Literally a minute later Cycle Technique was there and put on a new wheel. I started riding again minus a front brake, 6 gears and lots of skin.

Long story short:
I wanted to finish in 11:30, I finished in 14:03.
My bike split was 6:59, couldn't go into Aero or stand in the saddle
My marathon was 5:15, had to run/walk the entire distance

Someone made a comment about lack of skill on the descents and I strongly disagree with that remark. I feel very strongly that I couldn't have avoided the crash at that particular moment. Once the officials moved up the hill and had two people signaling folks to slow down before the blind corner it was manageable. Coming around that corner going a little over 30 mph a moment after the crash with people, gear and bodies all over the place....... in the rain.

Thanks for reading this far, this has been troubling me for a few days and any more information would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
loosegroove wrote:

I thought the guy was in a terrible position, part way down the downhill standing on the racing line through the corner. At that point in the downhill someone being too heavy on the brakes could have been just as dangerous as someone going 'too fast'.

I'd suggest they put slow signs or a no pass zone in that section if it's constantly having people crash. That said, the surface was in great condition and the race was wonderfully organized so I don't think there is any fault that can be placed on the organizers.

I saw a moto carrying a bike. I think it was a white Scott bike from memory. The fork had snapped in the same place on both sides, like someone had hacksawed through it. Must have been a horrible crash to do that to a bike - hope your friend is okay.
The surface was pretty smooth course-wide, but there were areas that were slick. Reduced braking was the most dangerous thing IMO, followed by poor visibility. Lots of people have carbon rims just for race day, and most don't normally ride in heavy rain.

In the earlier section of the course (not Duplessis), the wind gusts were also pretty stiff and made for some white-knuckle handling on the descents.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jstar23 wrote:
I was descending shortly after the crash happened. I have raced in tremblant 6 times and cycled that section atleast 30 times. As a strong cyclist and woman i am always passing alot of people on that section. passing 3 or 4 cyclists close to the middle of the road both during the ascent and descent, one inch too far over and this happens. Ive had several close calls myself over the years. I spent the entire race praying for them. I do know one of the first responsders. She stayed with them until help arrived. So know that they were not alone. My suggestion to everyone is please ride that section before the race. Several times if possible. And i will continue to pray for your friend.

this is key. i rode the section when i got there. tested my ability to speed down, practiced taking good lines. i didn't go as hard since it was raining, but even with the rain you can bomb down that if you know what's coming up and take good lines as well as having decent bike handling abilities. the big problem is that a lot of people are cruising down that section on the left side (passing side) when they have no business there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all the roads there that have the ability to more safely navigate, I'd be shocked if there was not a route change. Both events this summer had very serious issues with that section of course. It is a very dangerous section to ride alone training, let alone in a race with thousands of others. Lets hope they change this before the next 70.3. (just my thoughts)

Wishing your friend a good speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [Dave613] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave613 wrote:
With all the roads there that have the ability to more safely navigate, I'd be shocked if there was not a route change. Both events this summer had very serious issues with that section of course. It is a very dangerous section to ride alone training, let alone in a race with thousands of others. Lets hope they change this before the next 70.3. (just my thoughts)

Wishing your friend a good speedy recovery.

I tend to disagree...I rode that section a couple times before last year's race, and in the race itself, with zero issues; I just don't see why some say it is particularly more dangerous than others. Certainly, there are parts of the IM Moo course that I think are just as "dangerous." And, in 2015, there were no crashes there (that I'm aware of). My opinion...I think that the Chemin Duplessis is a key part of that course; I would hate to see it go.

Quote | Reply
Ditto your post - I rode it ahead of time, scoped things out and rode conservatively down. I know I would have had a lot worse than road rash were I going faster than the approx. 30mph I was travelling at the moment of crashing.

I loved that section of the course and hope to ride it again someday with better results.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT bike crash [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree. This was my third time at IMMT. Each time I have ridden the Chemin Duplessis section a couple of days beforehand as it is known to be the most technical (even though it is far from 'technical'). Like you I did not go as hard due to the rain. I am always incredulous at those who sit on the left side of the lane or bomb up behind people and try to pass them on sweeping corners. Their egos are putting themselves and others in danger. But I am still 100% against changing the bike course as you cannot legislate for stupidity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next