Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMMD RR 14th OA/ 2nd AG
Quote | Reply
Here a short RR from IMMD. Good fun race, success by all means, however feeling the worst post IM blues ever and somehow not even excited to go to Kona again. Ok, could be a jet lag as well

First some tri-excuses:
- I scraped bottom of my feet and hand during practice swim, didnt really effect performance but added stress before the race trying to keep the "wounds" from getting infected
- My Polar charging cable stopped working, again managed to charge it in the end by manually holding the cable in place with considerable force
- My swim goggle started leaking and was filling up quite quickly during race, required few stops, but mostly made my navigation even worse than usual
- Power meter crapped out at the start of the bike and showed only random or at least wrongly scaled numbers (>400W)
- My biking sunglasses broke and quickly obtained replacements were polarized in such way that I could not see the screen of the bike computer

:)

Swim 1.00.39

This is my slowest swim ever, so it seems the better I get in the pool, the worse I am in the race. 3 minutes slower than Kona last year and this with wetsuit. Dont know what is wrong, I felt good and could have kept swimming no problem. Maybe the course was a bit long or there was a current, but still.

Bike 4.42

This was good and steady, felt a bit bad around mid point but then better. Very clean being at the front of the race (~top 5). Went by feel and HR and a bit with the random power number by just trying to keep it steady.

Surprisingly many slower people were struggling to ride on the right side of the road. Really annoying when passing somebody who is 90k behind you is hugging the center line and going some 10mph slower. Dont understand this at all.

Also, such a flat bike is tough for me training in Switzerland, here I struggle to get more than 5 minutes in aero before a hill, intersection, village or something else forces me out of position.

Run 3.34

This was disappointing to say the least. Toughest run in any of my races, felt around 1k mark that I want to walk. Conditions were relatively hard with high winds, heat and humidity, but again, cant help but being unhappy.

Not sure if I have any reason or justification for feeling that since never been a good runner (and with early year broken ankle etc), but I do. I was expecting to run at least 10min faster and hoping for more.

Worst episode came around 12k when I randomly decided to take some base salt when offered and almost immediately got a huge side stitch that almost made me stop, it lasted some 5k and then got better. Typically I dont do stupid stuff in a race, so I must have been distracted already by the way I felt.

Anyway, learned or confirmed the fact that I am really motivated by getting faster, I think I would rather have had a 9.15 and taken 5th and not KQ than what I got now.

But I did take the slot, so I need to do one more IM (5th), lets see in the spring how I feel about it then, now its time to start the ice-hockey season and put on some pounds....!
Last edited by: markko: Oct 17, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: IMMD RR 14th OA/ 2nd AG [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck of a race! Those conditions on the run were brutal. I ended up running a 4:03. It was one of my worst IM runs. I was expecting to run a 3:15-3:20. I'm thought the heat would slow me down a little but not that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. Ironman is always about how you react when things go wrong. No such thing as a perfect race. Sounds like you reacted pretty well.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IMMD RR 14th OA/ 2nd AG [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Heck of a race! Those conditions on the run were brutal. I ended up running a 4:03. It was one of my worst IM runs. I was expecting to run a 3:15-3:20. I'm thought the heat would slow me down a little but not that much.

Thanks! Thats a big difference, I guess I dont feel that bad anymore. It was a hard run, according to my Polar it was 300m long, which is just evil (although most likely just a gps error).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto other comments. The fact you were so fast on what you felt was a bad day says a lot about the athlete you are. Well done and congrats!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Thats a big difference, I guess I dont feel that bad anymore. It was a hard run, according to my Polar it was 300m long, which is just evil (although most likely just a gps error).[/quote]
I was also way heavier than I wanted to be (crashed in July and put on some weight) at 189lbs so this didn't help my cause in the heat. I'm not complaining....I still was able to get KQ spot in my age group (40-44).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike split ! That is fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You KQ'd with a 4:03 run...I need to get back into IM racing again! ;) I'm half kidding, and full congrats on your achievement, it's amazing!

That said, it does seem unusual to grab a slot with that split. KQ can be such a crapshoot, depending on year, and who shows up! All kudos to you. . U showed up!
Quote Reply
Re: IMMD RR 14th OA/ 2nd AG [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised since I was slower time wise than I was in IMWI last year which is a harder course. I finished 21 overall at IMWI last year and missed Kona by 1 slot. At IM Maryland, I was 35th overall and I get a slot. I actually road easier at Maryland than I did IMWI so I was expecting to run better than I did. I'm still perplexed. But sometimes the body does crazy things on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed. Glad your perseverance paid off!
Quote Reply