Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLT - fire/smoke update thread
Quote | Reply
I am coming over from Switzerland to race IMLT. Having experienced a couple of cancelled races due to adverse weather conditions already this year, it would be great to get an update from the locals on the current status leading up to the race. A daily update from a "racing perspective" would be useful.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [Financier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Financier wrote:
I am coming over from Switzerland to race IMLT. Having experienced a couple of cancelled races due to adverse weather conditions already this year, it would be great to get an update from the locals on the current status leading up to the race. A daily update from a "racing perspective" would be useful.

Cheers

Buried in the Tahoe Tri Cancellation thread was this link:
http://airnow.gov/..._city&cityid=121

Shows current air quality at Reno/Sparks but thats plenty close enough.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

Buried in the Tahoe Tri Cancellation thread was this link:
http://airnow.gov/..._city&cityid=121

Shows current air quality at Reno/Sparks but thats plenty close enough.

Good news is it's just particulates, and you can filter those out with a mask if you're inclined. I wouldn't want to exercise in those conditions, though. I notice some lung irritation at "moderate" levels of particulates and "Unhealthy Sensitive Group" levels of O3. "Unhealthy" levels means likely issues for people with lung conditions like asthma even without exercising.
Last edited by: xc800runner: Aug 28, 13 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the IMLT Facebook page and ask your questions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327816963960116/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can monitor the fire here. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

5 days ago it was only 5% contained and today it's 23%. It's burning 10,000-25,000 acres a day. Depends on what the winds are doing. It's a HUGE fire so anything can happen. There will certainly be smoke in the air for the next few weeks. Some days will be better than others depending on how the winds blow. When I was in Mammoth Lakes at the end of July/early August there was a fire 35 miles away with 20,000 acres burning (80% smaller than this current one) It was either real bad in the morning and clear up in the evening or good in the morning and bad in the evening. All depends on the winds.

Last year I did LeadmanTri 250 in Bend, OR and sections were smokey. It wasn't that bad. In 2003 at Ironman Canada there were fires. They made the bike 3 loops (instead of 1 loop) to avoid the fire and real smokey areas.

Time is on our side right now and hopefully they can get the fire contained. Not sure what Ironmans protocol is...maybe a week out they will hopefully say things are fine. If the ironman was this weekend it wouldn't happen though.

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good thing I smoked one pack a day from 1999-2009 to train for this. Going to have to introduce it into my training for these last 3 weeks. 2 cigs per hour should do it. Anyone ever tried smoking through a snorkel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've started doing all my workouts with cigs... last nights track workout was 20x400@ 1:15 with two Newports per 400... air quality is crap in Reno and in the basin. Supposed to get better this weekend but they've said that for 10 days now. Really need a shift in the SW wind aloft to clear things out. But, I doubt it will still be bad come race day, I've been here for almost 20 years and can't ever remember it being this bad for this long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest news report from 4 hours ago.

After the enormous Rim Fire ambushed the area in and around Yosemite National Park over the last week and a half, firefighters are finally starting to get a handle on the blaze and are eyeing full containment within two weeks.
The fire burned about 300 acres an hour on average during the 24-hour span ending Wednesday evening, down from 1,000 acres an hour the day before. It spread 10 times faster, burning more than 3,000 acres an hour, during its peak last week.
About 4,500 firefighters had the largest fire in the nation 30 percent contained, significantly up from 20 percent a day before. Full containment is now expected by Sept. 10.
Good news.

HoneyMaxx Ambassador
HoneyMaxx.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [Ken Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Rim Fire the one that we should even be worried about? When you zoom out on the map there is a fire that seems to be ~1/4 the size of the rim fire but is located directly to the west of Lake Tahoe. Is this one included when they report on the "Rim Fire." If not, I'm hoping this one doesn't get less attention because of the concurrent Rim fire.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [tdodge22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Tahoe at top of picture

Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get2T2 wrote:
Lake Tahoe at top of picture

Much of the smoke, at the moment, is floating east to Reno. The race is being held on the north-west side of the lake. Still the winds could shift slightly and make a mess of the race area.

I figure I will just go out tomorrow and buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke the pack while doing my final 100+mi ride before the race :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy photo! You could always do a 5 hour ride on the trainer ;)

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The inciweb site says estimated containment not until 9/20. It was updated 2 hours ago. That's not leaving me with warm fuzzies...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From the Washington Post today:

Firefighters working on the colossal Rim fire in and around Yosemite National Park in California were optimistic after the fire’s pace slowed on Wednesday. The blaze has burned more than 300 square miles and destroyed at least 11 houses, and it was 30 percent contained as of Thursday morning. Firefighters have relied heavily on air support, including a DC-10 tanker and a Predator surveillance drone, to slow the spread of the flames in difficult, mountainous terrain. They expect to have the fire fully contained by Sept. 20

HoneyMaxx Ambassador
HoneyMaxx.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [tdodge22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That small one to the west is probably the American fire, which is much smaller and (I thought) completely contained. I'm surprised it's still showing up on the radar images. Don't worry about it getting less attention; it has gotten plenty -- at least locally.

People have to understand that forest fires in California are very common, particularly in summers following very dry winters (like this summer). The only reason the Rim fire is getting so much press is its enormous size. But, it sounds like the firefighters are finally getting the upper hand on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen, last I heard the American was like 80%. But even with 100% containment, this in no way says the fire is out and not making smoke. Just says it is not growing in size.

Even when the RIM is 100% contained, it will burn until the rains/snow hit in winter, so we will still be dealing with some amount of smoke for a while. :o(

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A contained fire simply means that we have a controlled perimeter. It will/can still be burning inside the perimeter. I would be surprised if the Rim fire was out by the time of IMLT. Also, fire season STARTS in California in September. That's when the fuels are nice and dry and the north winds kick up. That's good news for the wind direction of the RIM fire but could lead to other starts in the area between now and race day. All in all, i'm not worried about it. Cant be any worse then swimming in shit last year in New York.

Member - Teamfirefighter.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [hamsrfd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hamsrfd wrote:
A contained fire simply means that we have a controlled perimeter. It will/can still be burning inside the perimeter. I would be surprised if the Rim fire was out by the time of IMLT. Also, fire season STARTS in California in September. That's when the fuels are nice and dry and the north winds kick up. That's good news for the wind direction of the RIM fire but could lead to other starts in the area between now and race day. All in all, i'm not worried about it. Cant be any worse then swimming in shit last year in New York.

I'd love to hold out hope that there would be a shift in the prevailing winds starting in September, but from the few sites I've checked out, looks like the prevailing winds are still S and W in Tahoe virtually year round.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/...ddir.html#CALIFORNIA
Quote Reply
Re: IMLT - fire/smoke update thread [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have lived up here in the Auburn Foothills for about 25 years on a lake. Yep, the winds most of the time come out of the SW, since I am always getting the stuff from across the lake into
my beach. Wish it were different, but ....

When they come from the East, we get real heart. When they come from the North, I am always going where did those come from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live Tahoe cams and 12-hour forecasts on this site:
http://www.tahoeloco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multiple news outlets today reporting a large jump in the estimated containment percent, up to 60% contained. Projections of complete containment still are basically tracking right on race day, and as we know, contained does not mean out.

Still, better news than inching along a percentage point a day as we had been before.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...bb2eb474c_story.html
Quote Reply