Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP training advice
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - I hope this type of post is acceptable and I appreciate any insight folks might have. In short, I am doing IMLP next summer and I'm trying to figure out what type of training I should be doing now as opposed to when my training plan starts. The longer version:

I plan to do a thirty-week training program that starts after the new year. This will be my first full IM. I have completed three 1/2's, none of them particularly fast (5:30-6:00ish). My last was in July of this year. Since that time I have been trying to maintain some fitness with six orseven shorter workouts per week ( a mix of <60 minute runs, 30-45 minute swims, 2-ish hour bike rides). The swim portion is by far my biggest strength - I'm usually towards the very front of the pack for that section. My bike is decent and my running is just pathetic. I could swim 2.4 right now without any trouble. I could ride 112 right now if I really had to. A marathon would completely break me right now.

So with all of that in mind: What should I be focusing on during this period between now and my training plan? Is it worth it to mix in some resistance training? Spin classes? (it's getting far too cold here to ride on the roads)? Dedicate all of my time to improving my run? Sit on the couch, drink beer and play with my kid all day long? If it matters, I'm 44 yo male.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP training advice [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look up BarryP's running plan. I have been following his 1:2:3 run schedule for a few months now and am finding great results so far.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP training advice [Matt1019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt1019 wrote:
Look up BarryP's running plan. I have been following his 1:2:3 run schedule for a few months now and am finding great results so far.

^^^^ This. Easy to follow. I have used the Barry P plan off a calf injury with solid results. Forced me to be patient and increase slowly.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP training advice [Matt1019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt1019 wrote:

Just found it - Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find whatever mountain is closest to you and ride up it over and over.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP training advice [charlie_does] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep- I trained on Skyline Drive in Virginia and cruised up and down those Lake Placid mountains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For now, I'd take it fairly easy especially if you are going to be hitting it hard come the new year. Make sure you are healthy and 100% injury free going into your training schedule. I'd probably take at least 2-3 weeks completely off from SBR in December and go into your training schedule fresh and reduce you chances of burning out. So yeah, sitting on the couch and drinking beer is a good option, just don't put on too much weight.

As far as the bike goes, the ups are not that tough, nothing too steep but the climb up from Wilmington is long and sustained. If you are a good descender then you can really make up some time on those who are timid when it comes to high speeds and this requires no fitness gains.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP training advice [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, everyone. I live in Vermont and most of my training rides have hills somewhat similar to Lake Placid, so the climbing part doesn't particularly scare me. At this point I just want to make sure I can convince myself to go slow enough on the bike to have energy for the run.
Quote Reply