Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP champ 2015
Quote | Reply
does anyone know how kona points work? amber CF just won IMLP yesterday, she's placed pretty well at all her other races so far but looking at the ST site she doesn't even rank in the top 35-40ish women for kona points. that seems weird to me that you can place 1st and 2nd at 2 ironmans and not be enough to qualify you for kona.

i know that's a huge dig on the process, it's easier to get to kona with 5 top 10 finishes than a first place and a 2nd place at IM events.

i know she's planning to do IMMT, but where does she have to finish in order to qualify?

john
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP champ 2015 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like she is 40th right now, and about 400+ points out of 35th. Will need a decent showing at Tremblant, but also dependent on who else shows up. I don't know the total points at her 70.3s but those results probably hurt her.

40.AmberFerreiraUSA54,205*
Race NamePoints Ironman Lake Placid2,000* Ironman Texas1,280* Ironman Florida405* Ironman 70.3 Eagleman280 Ironman 70.3 Florida240
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends.

For one... Women traditionally get screwed more than men... There are 50 spots for men and 35 for women and when you look historically over the last few seasons, women wind up needing close to 1000 more points to qualify. This year is no different. Whether you want to compare position to position, the qualifying male who just got in had 3500 points to secure that where Angela Naeth just missed with 4900 points. Some would argue because less female race, they naturally have a higher point accumulation. It is what it is

Roughly 40 and 30 slots have been locked up between the men and the women, with some spill over for those entries not validated, etc... Amber is in 40th position with 4205, so around 3 - 5 slots out depending on validation/injuries or those who pass up slots. Amber has also used all 5 of her races to get her points, meaning even if she does real well, adding a higher point race in means a lower point race drops out, so not a full compliment of point gain.

Amber is around 400 points out of 35th, but Heather Jackson has yet to race a full IM and is ahead meaning if she gets points in a full IM, all of the points are added since she only has 3.

Her IMFL is 405 points, so she needs to finish 10th or better which will net her around 600 - 700 points (i.e. IMMT will replace IMFL)

Also depends what the people around her do. Bek Keat and Leanda Cave both are within a couple hundred of Amber and have a open race slot, so lets say Amber finishes 7 and Bek finishes eight at Tremblant. Amber 4205 - 405 (IM FL) + 1595 = 5395, Bek 4080 + 1435 = 5515.

Even though Bek is one place behind Amber, because she has ranked in only 4 races, she can finish a place or two behind Amber but still then leapfrog her.

IMMT is a P-3000 race so finishing anywhere in top 10 should be enough to get her in, but if she is racing people around her, say 32 - 42, it can get real complicated very quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP champ 2015 [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
It all depends.

For one... Women traditionally get screwed more than men... There are 50 spots for men and 35 for women and when you look historically over the last few seasons, women wind up needing close to 1000 more points to qualify. This year is no different. Whether you want to compare position to position, the qualifying male who just got in had 3500 points to secure that where Angela Naeth just missed with 4900 points. Some would argue because less female race, they naturally have a higher point accumulation. It is what it is

Roughly 40 and 30 slots have been locked up between the men and the women, with some spill over for those entries not validated, etc... Amber is in 40th position with 4205, so around 3 - 5 slots out depending on validation/injuries or those who pass up slots. Amber has also used all 5 of her races to get her points, meaning even if she does real well, adding a higher point race in means a lower point race drops out, so not a full compliment of point gain.

Amber is around 400 points out of 35th, but Heather Jackson has yet to race a full IM and is ahead meaning if she gets points in a full IM, all of the points are added since she only has 3.

Her IMFL is 405 points, so she needs to finish 10th or better which will net her around 600 - 700 points (i.e. IMMT will replace IMFL)

Also depends what the people around her do. Bek Keat and Leanda Cave both are within a couple hundred of Amber and have a open race slot, so lets say Amber finishes 7 and Bek finishes eight at Tremblant. Amber 4205 - 405 (IM FL) + 1595 = 5395, Bek 4080 + 1435 = 5515.

Even though Bek is one place behind Amber, because she has ranked in only 4 races, she can finish a place or two behind Amber but still then leapfrog her.

IMMT is a P-3000 race so finishing anywhere in top 10 should be enough to get her in, but if she is racing people around her, say 32 - 42, it can get real complicated very quickly.

Good summary. BTW, isn't Cave an auto qualifier from her win in '12? She won't count against the others in the rankings.

Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
does anyone know how kona points work? amber CF just won IMLP yesterday, she's placed pretty well at all her other races so far but looking at the ST site she doesn't even rank in the top 35-40ish women for kona points. that seems weird to me that you can place 1st and 2nd at 2 ironmans and not be enough to qualify you for kona.

i know that's a huge dig on the process, it's easier to get to kona with 5 top 10 finishes than a first place and a 2nd place at IM events.

i know she's planning to do IMMT, but where does she have to finish in order to qualify?

john

Kona is tough to get to as a pro, hence why we always talk about the point chase. Remember if there are 30 Ironmans and 35 women on start list essentially there are enough IMs for each person to win one. She finished 3rd at IM Texas and not 2nd - that is 320 points right there. Then there is the fact that some races have different point values -Lake Placid and Texas are only P2000 points race, the lowest available. MT is a 4000 point race so the winner gets twice as many points and she would get 4000 if she won that one.

The process has changed a bit since KPR was introduced but it is not easier to get to kona with 5 top 10 finishes than a 1st and 3rd at IM. It is actually much much harder. If a person were to get 5x 10th place finishes they would only get 850 points in total. She got 3280 for just two races with a 1st and a 3rd.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP champ 2015 [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

Women traditionally get screwed more than men...

Very true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh classic example of why the points system in WTC is so messed up... If I was a pro I would stay the heck away from Ironman, no wonder Crowie spoke out last year about how the rankings don't allow you to qualify and be fresh enough to compete in Kona. The fact that somebody wins and comes in second, yet needs one more race before Kona in just 9 weeks, is painful.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply