Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express)
Quote | Reply
I felt that Brian Keast (overdistance) took undue flack around here for bringing up the topic of WTC reducing slot count at the last minute to 50 slots. A lot of guys jumped in here and said, 'just race faster'.

Well, what many posters do not know is that Brian is a former Kona age group champion. But it gets better (well, not really). Like many of us, he was not super human either and had to have a triple bypass surgery a few years ago. Just because we are fast does not mean our hearts cannot get clogged up. Brian has had a very inspirational path back from the triple bypass, resumed sport and already kona qualified multiple times.

Yesterday he finished 1st in M55-59. Turns out he did not need the extra slots from a 60 slot race, but others will benefit. If I have my numbers right, Brian finished his 30th IM on Sunday. He also finished the full distance before they rain shortened the swim, so he has that moral high ground. I believe he is now heading to Kona number 17 (he qualified a bunch of times for kona in his youth at half IM events).

Also big congrats to my long time friend and training partner Barry "Konaexpress" Dmitruk. He got that nickname, not because he was the fastest guy in Kona, but because in his 40's he pretty well qualified at every race he showed up at. In his 50's that path has been tougher due to less slots and also some life/physical challenges that he keeps fighting to overcome. I hope 4th in M50-54 is enough to get the Konaexpress back to the show at the top of his age group at 54. I believe Barry just completed ironman number 34.

Well done both of you and thanks for setting the high bar for those of us 5-6 years behind you! Every time I feel I am too old to be doing this crap, i just need to look all around at the amazing gentlemen still pushing the pointy end of speed. I want to be like you when I "grow up".
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice post. Hopefully we can respect the sentiment and not turn this one into a shit-show.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think these guys set a high bar to inspire us. On ST it is easy to throw our snarky remarks from anonymity without knowing the background of some posters (I have seen some pretty ignorant stuff fired at Scott Molina and Mark Montgomery too). Hopefully as people get to know some of the background of posters in our community we can appreciate their contribution to sport and the example they set in how they comport themselves on and off the field of play.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job to you also, Dev!

Was following all the antics online yesterday as we roadtrip from Portland to Boulder for this coming Sunday's deal.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be totally wrong, but Brian keast sounds familiar. Was he the guy busted for steroids and given a 1 yr ban a couple of years ago?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, just use google before you type something so inflammatory. I know you didn't mean it, but why be so lazy about such an accusation.

No, wrong guy!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I may be totally wrong, but Brian keast sounds familiar. Was he the guy busted for steroids and given a 1 yr ban a couple of years ago?

Yes you are totally wrong! You could have done a quick search online to get that answer!

BTW I think you are thinking of Kevin Moats

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would delete this post. No way that word and Brian should be in the same sentence.
Last edited by: M~: Jul 28, 14 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I would delete this post. No way that word and Brian should be in the same sentence.

x2...leave it to some ignorant poster to hijack it. Man, you can't have a thread around here without someone taking it the wrong direction.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Dude, just use google before you type something so inflammatory. I know you didn't mean it, but why be so lazy about such an accusation.

No, wrong guy!

FWIW, i took it as totally obviously sarcastic and therefore not needing a pink font. i'm guessing many others did as well?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we got 4 posts before stupid happened. That's progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice post Dev, and I am another who are really impressed by the guys we all race with as opposed to the pro admiration. There are a number of such great stories about men and women who face the same stuff that unsettle our lives, yet rise above. Thanks for bringing this name up, as I really admire those that perservere and use no excuses, but get the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am likely one of the most sarcastic people on the planet and I don't see how that could be taken any other way than just a complete stupid post. As another user said, use The Google and do a little research before putting that out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be interesting to see how M50-54 shakes out. We already know, from the other IMLP thread that the third place guy finished first, but now he's third (TonyStark / Dale Stephanos).
Could Konaexpress be in the same sitch?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I am likely one of the most sarcastic people on the planet and I don't see how that could be taken any other way than just a complete stupid post. As another user said, use The Google and do a little research before putting that out there.

+1. friesen, show some respect and delete the post.

Congrats to Brian and Barry.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. My bad. My apologies and congratulations to mr Keast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does anybody know what happened with Kona slots for M50-54? How many, who got them?
Any KQ issues in other AGs?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [mjlrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjlrun wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how M50-54 shakes out. We already know, from the other IMLP thread that the third place guy finished first, but now he's third (TonyStark / Dale Stephanos).

They set things right. Most were awarded according to their time on the road. I'm not sure why they haven't updated the website to reflect the true results (according to the Ironman site I'm still third, but I have my 1st place award and Kona slot). Maybe they'll get to it. It was nice meet some of you. The guys in my AG - 50-54 have such a deep history of ass kicking in this sport that I was really, truly humbled to share the podium with them. Great post Dev.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev not hijack, any idea how deep 40-44 & 45-49 went in Whistler?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [TonyStark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super Congrats dude--I'm in awe! Plus, best name on ST! Probably a dumb question--will this be your first time at Kona? PM me---we'll be having a cool get together before the race.

Congrats again!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Dev not hijack, any idea how deep 40-44 & 45-49 went in Whistler?

At Whistler zero rolldown in both of those. Top 4 took their slots in both.

Back to this thread, Barry Dmitruk did not take the Kona slot for 4th in 50-54 at LP.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 60 slot follow up: Congrats Brian Keast (overdistance) and Barry Dmitruk (Kona Express) [TonyStark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, TonyStark and Dev.
Congrats on both of your races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TonyStark wrote:
mjlrun wrote:

They set things right. Most were awarded according to their time on the road. I'm not sure why they haven't updated the website to reflect the true results (according to the Ironman site I'm still third, but I have my 1st place award and Kona slot). Maybe they'll get to it. It was nice meet some of you. The guys in my AG - 50-54 have such a deep history of ass kicking in this sport that I was really, truly humbled to share the podium with them. Great post Dev.

Congrats Dale on your performance. Great to see what is possible at 50-54. At Whistler there were a lot of 50-54's passing me on the run. Every time someone passed me with a 45 (there were 6 as i was around 8th off the bike in 45-49) I thought, 'Yeah, a lot easier to run like that at 45 than 49'....just as I was giving myself that excuse, invariably someone with 50+ on his calf would blow by and I had to accept, that i can't use age as an excuse given what you guys do.

Keep setting the bar guys. You really help us all believe that famous quote, "Age is just a number,,,it's what you do with it that counts'.

Dev

PS. Heading down to the hotel gym to do some upper body weights now ;-) May as well penalize myself with some useless bulk now that the 1 day post race excuse has expired :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev. I had a similar experience on Sunday. My deal is this - Strong swim, acceptable bike, pedestrian run. So I always finish the swim at the front, try to maintain the lead on the bike and hope like hell to not get run down at the line. I kept looking for calves with 50 printed on them during the run, and the few older looking guys that passed me either had a 4* or compression sleeves so I couldn't tell the age. Thank god I'm out of the 40's and guys like Rich Burke won't blow by me doing 6 minute miles. I kept thinking that even if I'm not as fast a runner as some guys, we're in our 50's and anything can happen. This time around father time didn't put his foot out and trip me.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TonyStark wrote:
Thanks Dev. I had a similar experience on Sunday. My deal is this - Strong swim, acceptable bike, pedestrian run. So I always finish the swim at the front, try to maintain the lead on the bike and hope like hell to not get run down at the line. I kept looking for calves with 50 printed on them during the run, and the few older looking guys that passed me either had a 4* or compression sleeves so I couldn't tell the age. Thank god I'm out of the 40's and guys like Rich Burke won't blow by me doing 6 minute miles. I kept thinking that even if I'm not as fast a runner as some guys, we're in our 50's and anything can happen. This time around father time didn't put his foot out and trip me.

By the way, I feel the long term IM advantage goes to strong swim bikers. Eventually everyone run slow, but if you still swim-bike fast and shuffle a solid 3:50 - 4 hour you are set. Very few with a 5x on the calf running a lot under 3:50. If you can start out of T2 around 1:40 pm (7 am start time), then you are in the hunt. At Whistler I left T2 at 1:42 pm, but in my age group with my run, that's too late to leave T2. Enjoy the trip to Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next