Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMLP Swim Shortened?
Quote | Reply
I hear that they had the pull swimmers out of the water due to thunder and lighting? Is this the case? Can any one confirm?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just came up on the live coverage blog:

Adverse conditions out there. The thunder and lightning forced officials to end the swim early for many competitors. At this point we anticipate that bike and run times only - will be counted towards the final results. We will update that info ASAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
I hear that they had the pull swimmers out of the water due to thunder and lighting? Is this the case? Can any one confirm?

billrisch @billrisch Follow
@travis_lt evacuating the swim at IMLP. This is a first
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [shade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman website now says that they are contemplating using only bike & run times for final results, but no final decision yet.

Since the pros came out earlier I have to believe this is not applicable to them. Also, considering the timing I think it likely that most of the AG contenders would have exited the swim before the evacuation order was sounded.

It's a tough question, and I think the RDs will end up in a damned if they do/damned if they don't situation.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [RDL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:
hwangnyc wrote:

billrisch @billrisch Follow
@travis_lt evacuating the swim at IMLP. This is a first

They evacuated the swim at IMSG in 2012 as well. But those people who were pulled were allowed to carry on but not with an official time.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jul 27, 14 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather overall sounds horrible. I have a friend who is doing his first IM today @ LP. His second swim split never showed on the tracking site. Hope he made it out before the plug was pulled.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [Mike_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This must play head games for all especially those who have trained exclusively for it. Feel bad for them. Long day mentally
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [shade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is to confirm swim was shortened for about 50% of the field, weather has been pretty rough for the swim (lightning) but should be ok for bike and run.
We are awaiting final decision before we update tracker etc...
Top Pros were not affected..
Last edited by: sportstats: Jul 27, 14 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder how they will adjust that for AG awards, my bet Top AG'ers probably out of swim before they started pulling people..
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BIGZACH [ In reply to ]
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend on Facebook just posted that they pulled anyone out that was on pace to swim slower than 1:15. Not sure how they did that. She also posted that an announcement had been made that the swim would be adjusted based on your first lap and this would be an official Ironman race.

Not sure what that last part means

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just said now on IM.com Pro times intact...AG athletes will have Lap ONE count, bike and run. T2 will count but T1 will not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at my wife and friends swim times (both 1:20ish swimmers) they started pulling folks in the middle of their group. Her friend got a full course time, my wife did not. My wife actually was swimming faster, but started deeper in the 1:11-1:20 rolling start group. It was a little crazy out there...
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [WatsonNh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone, it looks like we will score the Pros on the Full race and the Age groupers on
Swim Lap 1 (Everyone completed 1 lap)
T1 will be removed for everyone since many were told to take their time.
Full bike and run time...thanks for your patience but safety first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
Everyone, it looks like we will score the Pros on the Full race and the Age groupers on

Everyone's lap 1 time should be doubled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason why the athlete tracker seems so far behind tracking results? Or is this typical?
Last edited by: nickvox: Jul 27, 14 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
sportstats wrote:

Everyone's lap 1 time should be doubled.

why? same result for the race, and still useless for IM time overall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:

Thanks, Marc! Great to get the facts right from the source.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on tracker not working propery? It looks like they removed the mile 30 bike split. It now has just the 56 mile split and finish split for the bike. (timing issue?) Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
why? same result for the race, and still useless for IM time overall

As it stands, the time gaps for the swim are half of what they would have been between individuals. An hour swimmer and a 1:20 swimmer would have 20 minute separating them after the full distance, but after 1 lap they would only have roughly 10 minutes between them.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [out at the line] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother and I just noticed this too. Have a good friend out there....it took like 3 hours for them to get the swim splits up as well, we thought they must be pulling him out!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Swim Shortened? [out at the line] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mile 30/86 we have not GSM connection, even with a cell booster at that location and the stormy weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend doing his first one today. His wife said he was pulled from the water after his first loop.

What a nightmare. If you've done a couple it would be easier to roll with it but for a first one I imagine it is tough mentally. If the weather conditions are continuing, yuck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw 3 cap colors in the age group rolling start - what did the third color represent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:

Just so I & everyone else has this straight....100s & 100s & 100s of Johns & Janes who swam 1:15ish or better are going to be penalized for swimming so well & completing (2) laps, not have a true IM finishing time (i.e. 1.2mi short) & have their 2nd lap erased?

I can only hope this decision isn't final as I would be absolutely LIVID if I were racing right now, saw a 20min lead on a certain competitor (unbeknownst to me that lead is really only 10mins), I cross the line 8mins before him & then find out tomorrow morning that he/she actually beat me??

I know you can see the ramifications w/ this Mark & even if we take podium/KQ off the table, if I'm a 1st timer or 50th timer who made it out before people were being pulled, I want my real finish time. Don't take that away.

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply

Prev Next