Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49
Quote | Reply
http://happyvalleyironman.blogspot.com/...ake-placid-2016.html

Friday, July 29, 2016
[/url]Ironman Lake Placid 2016

Race Report...

I suppose I write these things more as a journal/scrapbook of the event, so hopefully one day when I'm old I can remember when I was in great shape. Read on if you like.

This was my 8th Ironman. 10 years in the sport.
M45-49

THURSDAY:
Finished last 24 hour on call and drove to Lake Placid from Central PA. Good drive, Tracie, the girls in tow. Our lodging was at the Whiteface Lodge, somewhat away from the commotion of the race. I would highly recommend this place, lovely. After a long drive, I like to do a short run and then as a family we had a nice dinner.

Kate, of course, had a determined look bringing the bike into the lodge.

FRIDAY:

Met up with Bob Larcome for an early am swim. I decided to bring along a 13 year old shark to swim with us.

Swam one loop easily in 33'. Megan swam without wetsuit, often stopping to wait for her old, slow Dad. She's kind that way.

My parents arrived Friday late in the day. We decided to go for a Chinese buffet, probably not the wisest choice, but oh well. Actually wasn't that bad.
My goal was to stay away from some of the hype downtown, so after I registered, I spent a little time over at the Zoot tent and got out of there.

SATURDAY:
The continued goal was good hydration, this I stuck to.
Short ride to test the setup and short run. Felt strong. Racked my bike and bags.
That evening, we all had a nice little pasta meal with bolognese sauce, greens. Had a nice glass of wine that evening... Cake bread Cellars Chardonnay.
Time with the family was the focus.

SUNDAY:
Race day. My Iron Dad and my Iron wife got up with me at the usual ridiculous hour. I was up by 3:40am
Breakfast was:
1 black coffee.
3 hard boiled eggs.
1 UCAN bar.
Hydrated well with water and GU electrolytes and we went off to the race. My Dad drove Tracie and me into an area near transition. Some jerk off almost killed us on the way in, passing us on the RIGHT as we were slowly turning into a side street in their M-DOT decorated car. My Dad's reflexes were vital in saving this from becoming a disastrous day. Apparently we weren't going fast enough? Crazy...

Setup the drinks, nutrition, bags etc. Then headed with Tracie to the swim start. UCAN 3 scoops with water at approximately 6:00 am. Tracie kept me calm as per usual...

SWIM: 1:06:41
Time trial start. This was infinitely better than the mass start/melee of the past. I swam the first lap relatively cleanly as I stayed away from the cable on loop 1. 32 minutes... bit slow, but ok. Unfortunately hit my lap button, which sent the Fenix 3 HR into transition mode, but whatever. Second loop was slower. Overall, I swam very, very easily. This was far from my best IM swim, but sometimes holding back a bit early isn't completely idiotic at the Ironman distance, lol.
I've had time from 1:04-1:11 in IM, so this was definitely ok. Zoot Prophet, of course ;-)
37th in AG, 282 overall.

T1:
5:05. Not bad, took my time, but was deliberate.

BIKE: 5:18:52. 21.07 mph.

For those that don't really know me, my bike and run games are much better than my swim. This was a very solid ride. Initially perfect riding conditions. Definitely became hotter and windier later in the ride. I was burned by under hydration at last year's ironman and was determined not to make the same mistake.
Nutrition was UCAN plain powder only. 3 scoops at 1:15 into the ride. 3 more scoops at 3:30 into the ride. 2 last scoops at 5:00 into the ride (this was to prove crucial later!)
Why UCAN? I am not sponsored by them, but was turned onto the product by Matt Bach, elite triathlete and former teammate of mine on Zoot. I hate sugar on long training and racing days, so this helps avoid the lows that often occur with Gatorade, gels or the like. I've become a big fan. Total calories for the whole ride? 720.

On the second loop you start to pass the slower female pro's who started 30' ahead of us. I really had no idea how well I was placed in the race, but I figured I was doing well.

POWER FILE

197 average watts, but at Lake Placid with the long Keene section with almost zero power, I think the Normalized of 211 is a much better estimate. I had targeted 210-220, so pleased with that. FYI, HR data was not correct.

Keene descent turn:

Trying to stay aero , loving the Zoot speed suit!

If you look closely, I've modified the Speedfil setup. I like to pick up the bottle to drink instead of using a long straw. This worked perfectly for me. Love my Speedfil!

Ironman bike leg reports are plush with people feeling weak on the second loop of this course. I actually felt great, but had two issues going on. One was that there was some sort of grinding sound coming from the drive train side of the crank. I wasn't sure, but it made me careful not to push too hard as it can be possible with a power tap that I wouldn't be picking up the true estimate of the effort if there were significant losses there. The other was the fact that it became much windier and warmer on the Whiteface climb. I pushed a slight bit less, but was feeling strong. The UCAN is something I really swear by these days. PM me if interested, I'm not trying to be a salesman, but it seems to be a real key for me.

Came into T2 seeing my family for the second time. What a great boost! My Dad turned 80 this year and I was just so thrilled to see all of my family, but especially him out there.

Overall, I moved to 9th in the age group at the end of the bike. 37th overall.

T2:
3:06
Made a mistake by forgetting to take my first run bottle of UCAN. Didn't panic as I had taken a late dose of UCAN on the bike...

RUN: 3:38:20. 8:20 min/mile

As most who have done these crazy events know, the real challenge starts on the run. When you come out of T2, there is always the chance you will not have the legs. Maybe you went too hard on the bike? Maybe you didn't get enough nutrition in or hydrate well enough?

In either case, I started out feeling really good. That of course is a "first loop" smile below. It goes away after awhile, haha!

Plan was easy effort for the first few downhill miles and then settle into something just over 8 min/mile pace.

Nutrition plan was to drink water, salt tabs and took in zero calories until special needs (around mile 12). I took about 1.5 scoops of UCAN with water (135 calories). Never felt low on sugar or GI distress beyond the usual battle to get fluids in. Then I would switch around mile 21 to coke and Red Bull. At that stage it's survival, and I would accept the pro's and con's of sugar.

SPLIT NAMEDISTANCESPLIT TIMERACE TIMEPACEDIVISION RANKGENDER RANKOVERALL RANK3.9 mi3.9 mi 30:407:04:247:51/mi5.5 mi1.6 mi 12:507:17:148:01/mi7.3 mi1.8 mi 14:377:31:518:07/mi11.7 mi4.4 mi 36:528:08:438:28/mi12.6 mi0.9 mi 6:438:15:267:27/mi17 mi4.5 mi 35:448:51:108:01/mi18.7 mi1.7 mi 13:169:04:267:48/mi20.4 mi1.7 mi 15:489:20:149:17/mi24.6 mi4.2 mi 39:4910:00:039:28/mi25.5 mi0.9 mi 6:5210:06:557:37/mi26.2 mi0.7 mi 5:0910:12:047:21/miTotal26.2 mi3:38:2010:12:048:20/mi84145

There is a substantial climb at the end of each loop. The first one I flew up at an overall 8:28 pace. Slower the second loop, but still really happy with it. No walking except at aid stations to get fluid in.

I really had no idea of where I was in the race, however at the turnaround somebody said I was in the top 50 overall?

Saw the family twice at the end of the first loop, again a great boost for the mind at this stage.

I truly believe in the saying that the body is stronger than the mind. We just need to convince our mind of this. It's not easy, but seeing the family cheer was just so awesome!

Second loop smile is somewhat different...

As the run progressed to the last big climbing section, I knew I could finish strong. No one in my age group had passed me on the run, but I also suspected that some were ahead on the bike (they were).

The first loop is very quiet and lonely as there were so few runners around, the second loop I passed 100s of people running their first loop. Saw Bob Stocks in his beautiful race outfit...

After the climb by the horse show area, there are some rollers and then the last big climb into town. Made it up without walking a step. Then on the flat out and back picked up the pace nicely. Surprisingly felt really good for being at the tail end of a 140.6 mile race.

One of the single greatest things at IMLP is the finishing area. It's in the Olympic oval where Eric Heiden won all the gold medals in 1980 in speed skating. Just before that is a crazy split, where if you are heading out on your second loop (for another fun 13.1 miles) you go left. If you are finishing, you go right. Going right feels so fantastically good!!!

Came into the oval pumped. Made sure nobody was immediately behind me and raised my hands. Saw my family and yelled to them Finished strong!

That is my Dad, wife and youngest daughter in the background.

Kate, my youngest seemed pretty happy to see her Daddy come in below!

After the finish, met up with my family. Decided drinking a coke immediately after would be a good idea. It wasn't.

OVERALL: 10:12:04

45th overall.
41st Male.
No Kona, no podium.
I actually wasn't interested in Kona this year (or really that much at all anymore) as we travelled a bunch this year including San Francisco for Escape from Alcatraz. Kona is not my penultimate goal. It's likely not reachable without sacrifices I am unwilling to make.

I had felt the podium was in range for me, but my age group was incredibly fast this year. No negative feelings from me, those guys beat me fair and square and I performed very near my best possible result. Heck, our age group winner out split Brian Duffy on the run in this race, I'm simply not in that league. IIRC Brian had one of the fastest AG run splits at Kona a few years ago!

I'm a husband, a Dad and a physician first. Pretty stoked that I could have a nice day at IMLP and not compromise those other things.

It was a great experience overall. There were no catastrophic mistakes. I had fun for the vast majority of it and it is and was as always a journey, yet I could always improve.

Thank you's:

1. My Iron wife, Tracie! She is the strength and the glue behind me in triathlon, work and life.
2. My family. Kids were great helping with things after to get the bike out of transition, also my parents were beyond awesome in their support. Ironman gets dark near the end, and having people that you love nearby helps a ton.
3. My coach Shane MacLeod. Great coach who understands my schedule. My best results in the last 10 years have been in the 3 that I have worked with him.
4. My good friends in the sport. Most are on the Triathlon Discussion Group that I host and am part of on Facebook. Lots of great idea from them and support!
5. Team Zoot. Great bunch of men and women who have been very supportive, both team mates and captains, and the company. Love the gear, Really love the aero suit as I wore it all day with zero issues.
6. Garmin. Great sponsor and love, love my Fenix 3HR.
7. Speedfil. Love the hydration system.
8. The Bicycle Shop in State College, PA.

Thanks for reading,

Fred Doucette

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quickly, wanted to thank the ST community. I've posted an IM RR here before (2015 IMMT) and received some helpful guidance.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...d_P5666144/#p5666144

I'm also part of a really cool Facebook Triathlon Discussion Group if anyone is interested, let me know.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Fred, great race and nice write up! Did IMLP last year and thought about you guys and gals all day this year. Saw the warm weather forecast, jeez that run can get hot. Lots of ice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred,

Nice work, and great write up! I love the family, job, tri balance and need to always to remember it comes in that order. Great to seem Team Zoot well represented!

You've provided lots of advice along my way, including my very fist HIM - remember when you chastised me on BT for getting upset about a crash in that race and tossing a water bottle? I've hopefully come a little way since then!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, great report!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Fred! Your consistency year after year, while balancing work and family, is truly admirable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred, great write up. Reading the RR I couldn't help but smile at the similarities (priorities, profession, age group, 14 yo FOP daughter swimmer, did IMLP 2015, interest in UCAN) and differences: UCAN (I tried to be a UCAN-er but had technical difficulties with clumping and the bottles clogging at IMLP last year, didn't have a Plan B, resulted in a total nutrition fail and now just the thought of a bottle of UCAN makes me a bit nauseous), relative strengths (mine are swim>bike>run, your strong in everything but maybe tending towards run>bike>swim?), family interest/support (my family loves me but thinks I am absolutely crazy and aside from my wife coming last year to potentially "claim the body", is really no one is interested in watching dad suffer for 12 hours). And I found the style of your write up really hit the balance of good info, appropriately proud and graciously humble. Congrats and good luck in future endeavors.
Last edited by: Asilverm1970: Jul 30, 16 3:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrific race, terrific report! Thanks for taking the time to write and share.

I remember reading a few of your reports from BT back in 2012 when I was training for my first IM. As a physician also, I understand the sacrifices and saved up enough SAU's for a real push this year (for my second attempt) at the IM distance and was very happy with my own improvements on the bike and total time (11 AG in the old man 55-59). I will PM you about UCAN. I'm pretty happy with my nutrition but continue to struggle with cramps at IMLP. I think it's not the overall heat but the extreme change in temperature over the course of the day and I wonder if this had been a problem for you in the past.

Anyway, congratulations on another fine race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and race report. It is also depressing. If someone would have said you in your 30's that you would finish 45th overall in an Ironman when you reached the 45-49 AG, you would have thought that a podium was in your future. But you finish 8th AG. The 45-49 age group just keeps getting faster. And I seem to be going the opposite direction.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snyderman wrote:
Great race and race report. It is also depressing. If someone would have said you in your 30's that you would finish 45th overall in an Ironman when you reached the 45-49 AG, you would have thought that a podium was in your future. But you finish 8th AG. The 45-49 age group just keeps getting faster. And I seem to be going the opposite direction.

I hear you, however I try to see the positives. There are lots of negatives, but once you remove yourself from the "Kona or bust" mentality, it's really pretty fun. Yes, I'm quite sure there is T supplementaion going on in the M45+ crowd, and it isn't right, but I can't control that... I can only control my situation. I also have found that I'm happier just assuming everyone is clean, as it's a shitty philosophy to assume that everyone who beats me is a cheater, as they just aren't

In the end, it's kind of random at races in the sense that certain fast people may or may not be luckily or unluckily at your race... that shouldn't take away from the personal accomplishment.

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Terrific race, terrific report! Thanks for taking the time to write and share.

I remember reading a few of your reports from BT back in 2012 when I was training for my first IM. As a physician also, I understand the sacrifices and saved up enough SAU's for a real push this year (for my second attempt) at the IM distance and was very happy with my own improvements on the bike and total time (11 AG in the old man 55-59). I will PM you about UCAN. I'm pretty happy with my nutrition but continue to struggle with cramps at IMLP. I think it's not the overall heat but the extreme change in temperature over the course of the day and I wonder if this had been a problem for you in the past.

Anyway, congratulations on another fine race!

I remember you as well. Miss that old BT crowd but won't be back there anytime soon lol.

UCAN has worked pretty nicely for me. I'm not saying it makes you faster, rather I just felt better during training and racing. I also hated taking in so much sugar during training all the time. Bad for the teeth and all..

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asilverm1970 wrote:
Fred, great write up. Reading the RR I couldn't help but smile at the similarities (priorities, profession, age group, 14 yo FOP daughter swimmer, did IMLP 2015, interest in UCAN) and differences: UCAN (I tried to be a UCAN-er but had technical difficulties with clumping and the bottles clogging at IMLP last year, didn't have a Plan B, resulted in a total nutrition fail and now just the thought of a bottle of UCAN makes me a bit nauseous), relative strengths (mine are swim>bike>run, your strong in everything but maybe tending towards run>bike>swim?), family interest/support (my family loves me but thinks I am absolutely crazy and aside from my wife coming last year to potentially "claim the body", is really no one is interested in watching dad suffer for 12 hours). And I found the style of your write up really hit the balance of good info, appropriately proud and graciously humble. Congrats and good luck in future endeavors.

Thanks for the very kind comments!

UCAN strategy I've used has been to mix it the morning of. You need one of the clear, softer bottles (Purist) as I shake it up and squeeze the bottom of the bottle. Need some bike handling skills for this, but worked very well for me, as I had 8 scoops in my nutrition bottle. I use the plain unflavored, easy on my stomach. Truthfully, I have a sensitive stomach and always struggled with high sugar sweet drinks on race day and training.

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [Maine Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maine Rob wrote:
Congratulations Fred! Your consistency year after year, while balancing work and family, is truly admirable.

Hey Rob, great to hear from you.

Racing this year?

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snyderman wrote:
Great RR - I am amazed that I am only one year into the next AG (51) and finished 2 spots down in the 51-54 (10th) but about an hour behind you... Seriously tough game in all AGs
thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Maine Rob wrote:

Hey Rob, great to hear from you.

Racing this year?

Mt. Tremblant next month. First IM since IMLP '08.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Snyderman wrote:

I hear you, however I try to see the positives. There are lots of negatives, but once you remove yourself from the "Kona or bust" mentality, it's really pretty fun. Yes, I'm quite sure there is T supplementaion going on in the M45+ crowd, and it isn't right, but I can't control that... I can only control my situation. I also have found that I'm happier just assuming everyone is clean, as it's a shitty philosophy to assume that everyone who beats me is a cheater, as they just aren't

In the end, it's kind of random at races in the sense that certain fast people may or may not be luckily or unluckily at your race... that shouldn't take away from the personal accomplishment.

I was not actually going there with T supplements, but more commenting on the speed and level of athletes in out 45-49 AG. I also chose to think that people are clean (maybe naively), and race against myself. With all that said, great race. I was supposed to race IM Boulder next week, but life got in the way. Glad that I have Arizona to get my IM fix in 2016. I might try to convince the family to let me go up to Madison in Septembet, but will have to wait on that one. This time next weekend, I will likely be a grandfather...

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report and super job!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me how you 'mix' the second/third bottles of UCAN while riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report and race Fred -- appreciate your perspective. I drove the IMWI bike course on a Saturday with you several years ago. Happy to see you are still enjoying the sport, and at such a high level!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! I swear by UCAN as well. I find it to me kind of messy stuff though, how were you carrying it and mixing scoops into bottles on the fly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the guy who ran the 3-06 marathon

It has never been inferred before that I may be on the good stuff

I take it as a huge compliment

I was 3-50 1500 track guy back in the day and to this day work hard

If you have any questions about my background feel free to ask me or Jonnyo my new coach who got me in great shape this year

Cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
720 calories for 112 would leave me in a bonk hole that I'm not sure I could recover from. That's my intake for a 70.3. I'm closer to 2000 cals for an IM.

What was your caloric intake on previous IM's?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP RR. 45th Overall. 8th in M45-49 [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I am the guy who ran the 3-06 marathon

It has never been inferred before that I may be on the good stuff

I take it as a huge compliment

I was 3-50 1500 track guy back in the day and to this day work hard

If you have any questions about my background feel free to ask me or Jonnyo my new coach who got me in great shape this year

Cheers Steve

Say what?

Never said you did a thing wrong. I stated that the winner of my age group out split Duffy on the run and that this was way out of my league. No optimization on my part, heck no doping on my part would get me to run a 3:06 marathon at age 46.

Undoubtedly, there are some in our age group who are on testosterone or whatever, but if you ACTUALLY read what I wrote, I never stated that you or anyone ahead of me was. In fact I stated it was a losers argument to feel that those who beat me "must be dopers ".

Honestly, your response typifies we why I don't participate much in anonymous online forums, Stephen... You ran with a ball that wasn't even there on this one.

Way to Fucking kill a good vibe on a race report.

Eta, the first thing I told my wife when I found out your time was "he must be a former pro or elite runner". That was minutes after the race. I'm truly sorry you took the approach you did, but again I'm only here for this report, I stay away from this sort of online communication in general, precisely because of reactions like yours...

Last edited by: Fred D: Jul 30, 16 12:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next