Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute...
Quote | Reply
The main IMLP website (with the registration link) listed 60 Kona qualifying spots for the months leading up to the race...that is, it did until today when the number has mysteriously changed to 50.

What is with that?
Last edited by: Overdistance: Jul 15, 14 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is too bad it changed so recently. Does anyone have a screen capture of what it originally said.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the e-mail reply from WTC from last night at 8pm saying they are sorry and will update the website.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillmoving wrote:
I have the e-mail reply from WTC from last night at 8pm saying they are sorry and will update the website.

An email saying "sorry that we posted 60 slots and we are updating to 50 slots" or "sorry we edited to 50 slots and moving it back to 60"?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry that we posted 60 slots and we are updating to 50 slots".
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is just wrong and a simple apology is hardly sufficient!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you like them to do?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I wasn't too happy to see this.

Was it 60 spots in 2013 or 50?

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overdistance wrote:
The main IMLP website (with the registration link) listed 60 Kona qualifying spots for the months leading up to the race...that is, it did until today when the number has mysteriously changed to 50.

What is with that?

Sounds like people will just have to swim, bike and run faster to me.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start a gofundme to purchase 10 charity slots to Kona. Give them to the slowest swimmer in each age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't enter because it was 60. Neither did the thousands of other entrants. Even if it had been listed as 50, everyone that has registered would have anyway. NBD.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit happens. 10 slots less isn't any different than 1 or 2 really fast guys showing up that day. You can;t control that either. Look at historical times for KQ and it often varies quite a bit in these later season races.

Hmmm.... wonder if its' time to have AG waves or qualifying brackets for Kona and add a few more participants overall and reduce congestion at the same time? I suppose it would ruin the "purity" of a mass start, but they are already starting the women separate starting this year. Maybe create a "par time" based on the top amateur finisher from their race and score them based on the percentage they finished to that time. Then have those within 10% of that time start in one wave and those >10% in the next wave. That would normalize the qualifying times a little...since a race like CDA or IMWI is a good 30' slower than IMFL or IMAZ... LMLT maybe 40 minutes. Those that KQ in a 70.3 under 50y/o, automatically go to the faster wave.

Just tossing more ideas out there to beat a dead horse.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't a factor for me at all. I'll just be happy crossing the finish line. But it is interesting to note that IM Berlin had 100 Kona slots. 14 in one age group alone.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And so the WTC's response to TheRealStarky begins...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
It isn't a factor for me at all. I'll just be happy crossing the finish line. But it is interesting to note that IM Berlin had 100 Kona slots. 14 in one age group alone.

Well, it was the European Championship was it not?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Frankfurt not Berlin, they are on different sides of the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fact #1: IM Berlin had 300 Kona slots, rolling 50 deep in one age group.
Fact #2: There is no such thing as IM Berlin ;)

Mr. October wrote:

Quote | Reply
Such a shame!! I feel bad for those on the KQ bubble. I wonder why the change so close to the race?

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got no dog in this fight, but this does seem like a clearcut bait and switch. For me, it's WTC's refund policy that makes this seem pretty distasteful. They can change the game any time they feel, but participants are locked in.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [CPA_Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_Triathlete wrote:
You didn't enter because it was 60. Neither did the thousands of other entrants. Even if it had been listed as 50, everyone that has registered would have anyway. NBD.

This is not a correct statement. In many age groups, when it goes from 60-50 it reduces slots from say 2 to 1. That is a big deal. Overdistance could have chosen to race in Frankfurt (100 slots) or Tremblant (75 slots), but chose LP (60 slots) because he felt he still had a decent chance at Kona Qual at that number of slots and LP working into family/business life. At 50 slots, he and others have a lower chance. If he knew that in advance, perhaps he changes family and work to go to Tremblant or Frankfurt, but it is too late now (Frankfurt is done, Tremblant is sold out).

For the record, I am not doing IMLP this year, so I have no skin in the IMLP game, but fundamentally don't agree with the slot count being changed around 2 weeks out from the race. I am registered for Whistler (50 slots) and Tremblant (75 slots) body permitting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree more. They changed the contract.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A reduction from 60 to 50 is a big deal. The reality is that this is a 30% reduction in slots that are allocated based on participation numbers. 30% is a lot. The number of allocated slots based on pro-rated participation numbers has dropped from 34 to 24. 26 slots are fixed - 1 per age group, so only the slots above 26 are distributed according to participation numbers. Reducing these pro-rated slots from 34 to 24 means the fringe AGs will keep their single slot and the bigger AGs will go from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 or 3 to 2, a pretty big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
And so the WTC's response to TheRealStarky begins...

FTW!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
A reduction from 60 to 50 is a big deal. The reality is that this is a 30% reduction in slots that are allocated based on participation numbers. 30% is a lot. The number of allocated slots based on pro-rated participation numbers has dropped from 34 to 24. 26 slots are fixed - 1 per age group, so only the slots above 26 are distributed according to participation numbers. Reducing these pro-rated slots from 34 to 24 means the fringe AGs will keep their single slot and the bigger AGs will go from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 or 3 to 2, a pretty big deal.

Thanks for articulating this.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Kona spots - 60 spots reduced to 50 at last minute... [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in10siv wrote:
I couldn't agree more. They changed the contract.

Rest assured that somewhere in the legalese of the product, WTC has included the phrase "subject to change."

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply

Prev Next