Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on the IMLP web site. Just scanning quickly, Nice, Lanza, Port Mac, Western Oz, Malaysia, New Zealand, Cairns, Austria, Cour d'Alene all down to 40 slots. Some of next year's qualifiers like Barcelona, Cozumel and Arizona, Tahoe, Chattanooga< Vichy, Muskoka all 50 slots still. Did not go through everything but it seems that aside from Western Oz this fall, all the fall races stay 50 slots and next year all races are 40 aside from regional championships. Just thought I would bring this up in case you have not noticed. First I thought LP was being downgraded, but it seems 40 is the new 50 and 50 became the new 75 after 75 became the new 100.

If you are 35-49, you're basically losing slots across the board to smaller population age groups.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just noticed that too. Looks like all non championships 2016 races are down to 40 for 2016 qualifying.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there is a confirmed Tahoe 2016? There was a thread wondering about this based on the Event Schedule lacking an on-site registration.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
So there is a confirmed Tahoe 2016? There was a thread wondering about this based on the Event Schedule lacking an on-site registration.

Sorry, my reference in this thread was for Tahoe 2015 that has 50 KQ slots for 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the tier 2 pricing when adding CAD$ premium & Active fees is $1000CAD.

Wow

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm completely not surprised. More races, same space on the pier, less slots to go 'round Maybe it's WTC cunning plan to get near equality at Kona - slash all slots to 24 per race.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder w all the money involved if they may eventually do a Saturday / Sunday weekend of kona racing w pros and qualifying spots on Saturdays and an open type race on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually i think some of the asian races got bumped from 30 to 40
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
I wonder w all the money involved if they may eventually do a Saturday / Sunday weekend of kona racing w pros and qualifying spots on Saturdays and an open type race on Sunday.
I will never qualify for Kona (except if one day I will be eligible with legacy program), but I do not like at all a solution like this one. Kona is one race all together, otherwise Appeal would decrease a lot.

looking on race calendar and race Locations, I'm quite sure WTC is already working on new races in new Areas and number will for sure increase.
Best "Image" solution for WTC would be cut Invitation and similar Slot and allocate 99% of Slot in Kona to qualified athletes. Maybe they can create a small Event saturday for all their "V.I.P."
otherwise sooner or later I guess that a qualification rank for AG could follow...
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there pricing tiers for Ironman races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are more races and the same number of slots. It stands to reason that there would be fewer offered per race. As long as Kona is the carrot to be dangled and no way to make it bigger the numbers of slots will continue to shrink. I wonder at what point it will be less of an appeal as more and more of us realize there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of ever qualifying?

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

It'll never happen.

That's asking a lot out of people that live in Kona AND volunteers
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
I'm completely not surprised. More races, same space on the pier, less slots to go 'round Maybe it's WTC cunning plan to get near equality at Kona - slash all slots to 24 per race.

Yet you still have Messick claiming with a straight face that AG allocation of Kona slots is proportional when defending the 50/35 pro slots at Kona. However, with 40 slots given out at races, only 14 of those 40 are given out proportionally, so it's more like 2/3 equal and 1/3 proportional. But, hey, so long as everyone continues to believe it's proportional, that's all that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes....off memory ....

Tier 2 LP: $765USD

Tier 2 IMC: $735canadian

LP is significantly more expensive for Canadians with exchange rate

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP 2016 down to 40 KQ slots...same for many others [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
There are more races and the same number of slots. It stands to reason that there would be fewer offered per race. As long as Kona is the carrot to be dangled and no way to make it bigger the numbers of slots will continue to shrink. I wonder at what point it will be less of an appeal as more and more of us realize there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of ever qualifying?

It's already becoming less appealing. As a M30-34 aging up soon it's becoming a goal post that gets pushed further and further out despite working harder and getting faster. At some point I have to ask myself, what's the point?
Quote Reply