Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMFL 800lb shark
Quote | Reply
This story will make me swim a bit faster this year. Caught about 90ish miles up the coast from Panama City Beach:

Quote:
A Florida man has pulled in an 11-foot, 805-pound mako shark from the shores of the Gulf in what may be a new world record for land-based shark fishing.

Joey Polk from Milton, Fla., spent an hour wrestling the monster onto land last Tuesday night, sometimes with almost 900 yards of line pulled out of his reel.

The mako is the fastest of all sharks and can swim at speeds up to 60 miles per hour, and Polk said he now knows that is the truth.
via the Houston Chronicle at
http://www.chron.com/...81.php#photo-6194427
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a sad picture. While I wouldn't want to meet that shark in a dark alley, it is a massive and magnificent animal. It doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank god that shark is dead, it definitely would have taken a swimmer or two out for sure.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Apr 24, 14 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
That's a sad picture. While I wouldn't want to meet that shark in a dark alley, it is a massive and magnificent animal. It doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck ...

Agreed. As an aside... who casually goes out to the beach with that sort of test line?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Thank god that shark is dead, it definitely would have taken a swimmer or two out for sure.

Fixed that assuming you were being sarcastic. What does one do with an 800 lb shark?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
cloy26 wrote:

Fixed that assuming you were being sarcastic. What does one do with an 800 lb shark?

take a photo? :S

edit: just read the article, they fed the community- over 200 people got a feed from it....have a look at some of those pics, its a bloody big mako
Last edited by: coates_hbk: Apr 24, 14 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between that picture and one of a deer in the back of the pick up truck on the way to the butcher?

As far as I know Mako sharks are not protected. As long as this guy doesn't just ditch the carcass to rot I am ok with it. There is a lot of good meat there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was in Destin last week with the wife and some friends and we got a guide and did some shallow water fishing from 100 yards to 1 mile off of the coast. I guess I always knew big fish were out there, but seeing the large volume of much larger than expected marine life less than 50 yards off shore really opened my eyes.

Also, the guy that caught this Mako tried to set it loose after he caught it but the fish was too tired from the fight and would have died anyways, so they kept and ate it. Mako is not a protected species and tastes really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy also holds the record for the largest Mako shark caught from a boat, apparently. Seems he is a pretty hard-core fisherman.

He claims that by the time they got the shark into shore, it was too tired for them to release it. I'm not certain I'm buying that.

He did say that they would eat the meat from the shark. I hope so.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

it is a massive and magnificent animal ... doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck

Disagree. They fed hundreds of people with it. That honors it's life. It wasn't wasted. Most of us, including me, eat magnificent animals daily. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are more pictures in the source article. Looks like they made some gnarly steaks out of it:

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

it is a massive and magnificent animal ... doesn't belong dead in some guy's pick-up truck

Disagree. They fed hundreds of people with it. That honors it's life. It wasn't wasted. Most of us, including me, eat magnificent animals daily. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish.

If it was actually eaten, that's a big improvement. Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

Another thing to consider is that there are fewer and fewer sharks, not sure about this species, but the oceans in general are in pretty serious trouble. Also, not sure how shark tastes (never had it), but given that they are a top of the food chain predator, it seems like their meat would not be the best to eat. Kind of like eating a cat or another meat eater. Have you tried shark?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant even imagine how many camera phone pictures this must have initiated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that Marlin are not very good to eat and used to end up in dumpsters after the photos were taken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

If it was actually eaten, that's a big improvement. Many sport fish that are caught are wasted or just mounted on some guy's wall.

Another thing to consider is that there are fewer and fewer sharks, not sure about this species, but the oceans in general are in pretty serious trouble. Also, not sure how shark tastes (never had it), but given that they are a top of the food chain predator, it seems like their meat would not be the best to eat. Kind of like eating a cat or another meat eater. Have you tried shark?

The couple of times I've had shark steak it was delicious. Very white meat with very little to no fat. I can't say for certain that what I had was Mako and I also don't know if the taste varies amongst the different sharks.

trav

Quote | Reply
Crap. Beat me to it.

If they ate it, fine. I have nothing against anglers that actually consume what they kill.

Having swam/surfed around many sharks over the years they don't "scare" me too bad. I understand the fear people have of them, but killing them because they threaten the occasional swimmer or surfer is insane. Beatiful creatures that deserve to be respected and preserved.

I guess the gruesomness of shark attacks scares people. Still far more likely to have a family member knock you off than a shark though.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travisml wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

The couple of times I've had shark steak it was delicious. Very white meat with very little to no fat. I can't say for certain that what I had was Mako and I also don't know if the taste varies amongst the different sharks.

trav

A few years ago we went deep sea fishing off Sanibel island. I caught a hammerhead (see below) and my BIL caught a couple of Spinner (black tip) sharks. The HH went back into the water but we kept the Spinners. The guides fileted them for us and we grilled them up that night.

Unbelievably delicious....light, flaky white meat. HH apparently aren't good for eating.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
psychosyd wrote:
Crap. Beat me to it.

If they ate it, fine. I have nothing against anglers that actually consume what they kill.

Having swam/surfed around many sharks over the years they don't "scare" me too bad. I understand the fear people have of them, but killing them because they threaten the occasional swimmer or surfer is insane. Beatiful creatures that deserve to be respected and preserved.

I guess the gruesomness of shark attacks scares people. Still far more likely to have a family member knock you off than a shark though.

Clearly this shark got to 800lbs by feeding on people. I have no issues with them keeping the shark. If they did indeed feed 200-250 people like the article says they're doing better than most fisherman
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
psychosyd wrote:

Clearly this shark got to 800lbs by feeding on people.

It certainly wasn't a bunch of 5% body fat triathletes.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sharks can make for good eating. I'm glad this one didn't go to waste like so many others.

Y'all should try parasailing or flying over the beach sometime. It's quite a sight to see so many enormous sharks so close to the swimmers. I've met more than a couple of tourists who completely stayed out of the water once they discovered that nature actually has wildlife in it. You should be fine so long as you aren't flailing around in a big school of other people as if you're all wounded and on the verge of death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
This story will make me swim a bit faster this year.

Ha! And it has me rethinking my idea of starting out on the far right. Maybe being in the washing machine isn't so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a cool picture; I think I remember you posting a thread about that trip. How difficult was it to hold the shark still to get that pic?

trav

Quote | Reply
800 lbs, I can not imagine how it would be able to do well on the run. Have to drop a few hundred pounds to qualify for Kona. Would have a hell of a fast swim split though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CPA_PFS wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

That's a sad picture.

He also stated he tags and releases them unless he thinks it won't survive. As for mounted fish most of them are eaten. Most fish mounts today are replicas made from pictures and measurements
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL 800lb shark [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travisml wrote:
That's a cool picture; I think I remember you posting a thread about that trip. How difficult was it to hold the shark still to get that pic?

trav

Not very hard, actually. We got it on deck and the guide took the hook out. He held it down and showed me where to grab it behind its head. I replaced his hands one at a time and then just picked it up. Didn't thrash or flail about at all. After a couple of quick pics, I just pivoted to my left and threw him back into the water and he was gone.

A very cool experience......also made me feel much more comfortable doing OWS off Sanibel. After catching the sharks, you realized that they weren't gonna do any major damage to you, even if one decided to take a nip. Wink

Quote Reply

Prev Next