Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days?
Quote | Reply
So just some quick math looking over the bib list. There are about 40 names per page and 51 pages. So about 2k athletes signed up. Assuming 15% dont show....we are around 1700 athletes on the starting line.

Seems good to me to be back to a size of race that is more...personal?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per Runtri.com, attendance has been in the decline 2011 (3rd chart from the bottom of the page). http://www.runtri.com/...a-2013-analysis.html

The bib list is through 7/9. Personally, I didn't sign up until just a few days ago because I wanted to make sure I would be injury free. Curious how many other's did the same. Moving it a month earlier this year sucked for a lot of people living in the PNW. It didn't leave us with a lot of time to do some other local tris first. Our season doesn't really start until late June with most races in mid/late July.

Agreed with you, it'll be a little more intimate than other IM races.
Last edited by: gironamo: Jul 21, 14 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [gironamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow so using that chart we are seeing a big decline 2,500 last year and more then likely 1,700 to 1,800 this year? They are going to have to look at pushing the date back to end of August or having a Yoga (wanderlust July 31-Aug 4) + IMC weekend.

Love the idea of all the type A's and yogies interacting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like registration is still open. Having only 1700 athletes will be nice.

They could add a 70.3 like Lake Tahoe to get the numbers up.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
wow so using that chart we are seeing a big decline 2,500 last year and more then likely 1,700 to 1,800 this year? They are going to have to look at pushing the date back to end of August or having a Yoga (wanderlust July 31-Aug 4) + IMC weekend.

Compare apples to apples here. 2130 races last year, not 2500. 1,700 was an estimated number by the OP and is probably accurate, usually a 10% no show at WTC races.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
Looks like registration is still open. Having only 1700 athletes will be nice.

They could add a 70.3 like Lake Tahoe to get the numbers up.

Interesting to see if +/- 400 ish racers less has an effect on the Pemberton drag racing. Doubt it. Swim should be great, even with 2200 ish last year was wide open
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow I doubt that the higher ups at WTC are as happy as you about the lower registration numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

I'd be perfectly fine with a Whistler Village full of hot yogis in lulu lemon pants...

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they can't they can't be very happy but I don't think they should be surprised, with what 3( or more, I am losing track) new North American Ironman races, including IM Boulder which must has to draw from many of the same potential entrants- mid/late summer on the western half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised the pro entry list is low # too. Feedback I here, people find it to tough so they are looking for easier races. See everyone in Arizona and Florida.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
Zippy303 wrote:

I'd be perfectly fine with a Whistler Village full of hot yogis in lulu lemon pants...

Isn't that what Whistler Village is usually full of anyways?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you find a start list for the pro's?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a large late group of entries
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Placid on the same day and MT & Boulder coming up, there are a lot of options these days. Certainly way more than just a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move IMC to August and to Penticton and it would sell out immediately. :)

Sponsored By Jack and Adams Bicycles
Austin, TX
http://www.jackandadams.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Blazier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:

YES!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Blazier wrote:

YES!

Yup.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Blazier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:

There's a great triathlon in Penticton in August already that is iron distance. You should check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Blazier wrote:

There's a great triathlon in Penticton in August already that is iron distance. You should check it out.

The one that is dieing a slow death?

Sponsored By Jack and Adams Bicycles
Austin, TX
http://www.jackandadams.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, maybe. But let's not forget that for the last few years it was in Penticton it did not sell out immediately and took a few months to sell out the final year that I did it. And don't get me started on the overpriced, run down hotels that all required a 5 day minimum...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Blazier wrote:

I think a slow death would be the worst possible outcome for Penticton. If Challenge is going to succeed or fail, I hope it happens quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Blazier wrote:

No, the one that is making a slow comeback.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [gironamo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree here, its just too early in the year for the locals for the most part. Just miserable to get in proper training so earlier in the year. I signed up again anyways, but I was much, much happier with the old date. And I'm sure it made a difference for a lot of people. Last year all my most enjoyable long rides were in what would be a taper period for this years race date.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [Henrik33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Henrik33 wrote:
Gotta agree here, its just too early in the year for the locals for the most part. Just miserable to get in proper training so earlier in the year. I signed up again anyways, but I was much, much happier with the old date. And I'm sure it made a difference for a lot of people. Last year all my most enjoyable long rides were in what would be a taper period for this years race date.

Yet, you could have done Penticton... and had all summer to train. Gunning for a Hawaii spot?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler---overall numbers back to the old days? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Blazier wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Blazier wrote:

No, the one that is making a slow comeback.

Keep going, Don Quixote. You'll defeat that windmill yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next