Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread
Quote | Reply
I've found this type of thread helpful in the past so thought I'd kick it off to (potentially) help others:

Norm Pwr: 192
Avg Pwr: 177
VI: 1.08
IF: 0.71

Cadence: 84 rpm
Weight: ~160 lbs (without bike)
Bike Time: 5:50
Run Time: 3:59

Bike: 2008 Felt B12
Wheels: Rented Reynolds Strike/Assault clincher combo; Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tires (BBB butyl tubes)

Helmet: Rudy Wingspan
Setup: Water between aero bars; concentrated bottle of EFS liquid shot on bike seat tube

Kit: Garneau two piece (always get nasty lower back sunburn - looks very slick post race)

Highlight: Course scenery -- stunning!
Lowlight: Double calf cramps on the run
Minor Gripe: Fully pimped rides complete with race wheels, aero bucket and full kit...and yet an uncleaned, unlubed chain whining loudly down the course. Takes 5 mins to clean and re-lube a chain!

Last edited by: Ave: Aug 1, 14 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [Ave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP: 174
NP: 208
IF: .072
Ave Cadence: 73
Bike Time: 5:50 (7 min to change flat, 90 sec to stop and pee, 2x 60sec to fix speed box popping open caused a lower AP)
Run Time: 4:23 (foot injury caused a descent amount of walking)
Weight: 187-190

Bike: 2014 Speed Concept 9 XL, DA9070, Enve 8.9, GP4000s II (23 front, 25 rear, latex tubes)
Clothing: Octane Short sleeve one piece and LG P09 helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough go with a flat but you clocked a strong ride! Lots of harsh bumps on the way down from Callaghan - not sure if that contributed to the flat. Road was littered with bottles and cages on the way down - bit of a hazard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, my flat was right after the turn around on the Pemberton Flats on a perfectly smooth stretch of road. I hit something in the road that I missed until the last second. That downhill down the Callaghan was loads of fun and where I clocked a top speed in the 50's....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ave wrote:
Tough go with a flat but you clocked a strong ride! Lots of harsh bumps on the way down from Callaghan - not sure if that contributed to the flat. Road was littered with bottles and cages on the way down - bit of a hazard!

I rode the course on saturday (road bike, i was volunteering that weekend), and i almost completely lost it going down callaghan, a ridge in the road caught my rear wheel and i went all squirrely, barely recovered. I would not have been so lucky in my aero bars if i brought the tri bike!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely had to be "alert" on that stretch! I'll be the first to admit I'm cautious on the descents and suffer on time because of it. While I wouldn't call coming down from Callaghan sketchy, the "seams" that connect the road to the bridges seemed to be really jarring at speed. Seriously had to dodge multiple water bottles and cages that had ejected on impact from all the speed demons ahead of me! Stability of a road bike would have been very welcome (but I'm usually the timid guy descending with both hands on the bullhorns ready to feather the brakes if needed so wasn't that bad all things considered...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No power data, but 5:50 B, 3:52 R.
Avg HR was 135 (max 186) so I was well with in the zone, maybe did not push it enough but I nailed the run so fine with me.

Downhills were 'on' I was going 46.8 mph at one point (my highest on my try bike in a while and wow that was a bit nuts).

Found the roads pretty smooth over all and drafting packs were lower that the year before it sounded. Pemberton valley was awesome.

Beautiful course, hard bike, easier run for sure....what a great weekend. Hope the full distance stays and does not end up being just a 70.3 (just guessing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ave wrote:
I've found this type of thread helpful in the past so thought I'd kick it off to (potentially) help others:

Norm Pwr: 192
Avg Pwr: 177
VI: 1.08
Cadence: 84 rpm
Weight: 160 lbs (sans bike)
Bike Time: 5:50
Run Time: 3:59

Highlight: Course scenery -- stunning!
Lowlight: Double calf cramps on the run
Minor Gripe: Fully pimped rides complete with race wheels, aero bucket and full kit...and yet an uncleaned, unlubed chain whining loudly down the course. Takes 5 mins to clean and re-lube a chain!

When I download my Garmin i will give you full details, but finally a course that i can back door brag about doing a decent time on low watts.

5:30 off 182W AP.

In your original post you need to ask for rider weight. Mine was down to 63 kilos certainly on the climb back from Pemberton when I was dehydrated and probably another kilo down. Equipment was Cervelo P3, LG Chrono Helmet, Bonetrager Aeolus 7 whees, Vittoria Corsa CX clinchers, Bonetrager butyl race tubes (sorry not ST approved latex). My run time was 4:11. Had some nutrition concentration issues mid way through the run that really took bite out of my legs. My fault.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisodg wrote:
Ave wrote:

I rode the course on saturday (road bike, i was volunteering that weekend), and i almost completely lost it going down callaghan, a ridge in the road caught my rear wheel and i went all squirrely, barely recovered. I would not have been so lucky in my aero bars if i brought the tri bike!

I don't descend in aero, but damn close to it. I lay my hands flat on top of the base bar with my hands on the brakes. I actually try and get my body a bit lower than I would be in aero but I have the ability to check my speed as needed and would bet that I'm still relatively aero with how I position by body/arms. GMAN19030 watched me blow by people all day long on the downhills... I think I passed him at least 10-12 times on the downhills while watching him grind by me on the uphills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys. Hope this might help some of bigger (slightly) heavier guys thinking of this race. It's a great course. Especially if you don't mind flying downhill. Course read 110 miles and 6460ft of gain on my Garmin 500. So for what it's worth. Here's my numbers.
1:10S
5:24B
3:30R
Blue Triad SL
Zipp disc with 808 and conti 4000S 23mm tires no laxtex
Race day wieght 81kg(179lbs)- No clue about my bike weight
AP 207
NP 225
IF .81
VI 1.087
W/Kg 2.78
Ave Cadance 80 (11X28cassette-rotor 53x39 170mm)
Giro selector helmet
Regular Tri tank top
Rode with BTA A2speedfill, one bottle below, one to the rear, and no repair kit.
Max Speed was 50.3mph
Stopped at Special needs because I needed my bottles and they couldn't find my bag. Maybe 60 seconds lost. No biggie. Nice quick break.
Notes-
kept power around 200-215w on flats
Tried to keep my power below 240w climbing but I'm fat ;) so that doesn't always work. When my power went up above 240w, my focus went to HR and keeping that between 145-150.
Guys-gals kept passing me while climbing, if I was around anyone. This mostly happened from Alata Lake to Callahan. Then, I flew by on the downhill and kept power up. No coasting, for the most part. I would push the power to get my speed up for every downhill.
I thought the course was wonderful and the drafting was only small packs but they seemed to be legal distance for the most part, at least out on the flat section. I was by myself from Whistler to Pemberton and back for the most part. So I may not be a good judge of that.
I felt fresh to start the run and had an even run. No real slowing minus the hills, of course and one quick pee break.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [fs16scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good show Big Guy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP: 151
NP: 156
IF: 76
VI: 1.03
Cad: 91
Weight: 130lbs
Bike Time: 5:51
Run Time: 4:41 (over cooked the bike a bit and fell apart on the run, read as need to get stronger on the bike!!!)

Bike: Cervelo P5-3
Wheels: Zipp 60's, Conti GP4000s with latex tubes
Setup: Xlab torpedo BTA, one standard cage/bottle on dowtube for nutrition, cage/bottle behind saddle

Helmet: Giro Air Attack no shield
Kit: 2XU 2 piece

X1000 on the guys with high end bikes not properly maintained!!! One guy in particular comes to mind, P5-6 with Zipp 808 and Zipp disc. Passed him in Pembie Meadows, chain dirty and literally screaming for lube also rear der wasn't setup properly was chattering and miss shifting like crazy! Absolutely mind blowing!!!!

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Last edited by: trijunkie123: Aug 1, 14 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm Pwr: 186
Avg Pwr: 182
IF: 0.767

Cadence: 85 rpm
Weight: ~150 lbs (without bike)
Bike Time: 5:47
Run Time: 3:48
Div. Rank (M45-49): 14
Gen. Rank: 105

Bike: NP3, 11x28 & 53/39, 165mm crank
Wheels: Front=FLO60, Rear=FLO90, Conti GPS4000s II, latex tubes

Helmet: Giro Air Attack (no shield)

Setup: BTA Torpedo; concentrated bottle of HEED/Sustained Energy in BTS
Kit: Fusion Speed Suit (thanks Chance!)

Highlight: Perfect nutrition. No big pelotons on Pemb.
Lowlight: BB that started squeaking on return from Pemberton

/Howie Nordström
Last edited by: lllusion: Aug 5, 14 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm Pwr: 198
Avg Pwr: 180
VI: 1.1
IF (275 FTP): 0.72
20 Min Max Pwr: 217
Cadence: 73 rpm
Weight: 180lbs (sans bike)
Bike Time: 5:59
Run Time: 4:49

For comparison, my numbers from Penticton last year:
Norm Pwr: 210
Avg Pwr: 198
VI: 1.06
IF (295 FTP): 0.72
20 Min Max Pwr: 242
Cadence: 86 rpm
Weight: 178lbs (sans bike)
Bike Time: 5:55
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 3, 14 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [fs16scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fs16scott wrote:
Hi guys. Hope this might help some of bigger (slightly) heavier guys thinking of this race.
5:24B
Zipp disc with 808 and conti 4000S 23mm tires no laxtex
Race day wieght 81kg(179lbs)
AP 207
NP 225
IF .81
VI 1.087
W/Kg 2.78
Ave Cadance 80 (11X28cassette-rotor 53x39 170mm)

kept power around 200-215w on flats
Tried to keep my power below 240w climbing but I'm fat ;) so that doesn't always work. When my power went up above 240w, my focus went to HR and keeping that between 145-150.
No coasting, for the most part. I would push the power to get my speed up for every downhill.

Big guy here (see previous post). You've just summarized my plan for next year. My approach this year was similar, except I coasted the descents and held back to 225 on the climbs. Your numbers are great benchmarks for pushing my bike split down to 5:30ish.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Norm Pwr: 198
Avg Pwr: 180
VI: 1.1
20 Min Max Pwr: 217
Cadence: 73 rpm
Weight: 180lbs (sans bike)
Bike Time: 5:59
Run Time: 4:49

For comparison, my numbers from Penticton last year:
Norm Pwr: 210
Avg Pwr: 198
20 Min Max Pwr: 242
Weight: 178lbs (sans bike)
Bike Time: 5:55

i finally did my download of my gps data

• NP 197
  • AP 182
  • Kilojoules 3575 KJ
  • Moving time 5:28.53 (can't believe i lost a minute at special needs....)
  • Elevation gain 2206m
  • Ave temp 25.9 C
  • max temp 36 C (all in Pemberton and the climb home)
  • IF 0.77
  • TSS 325 (this may be higher than reality as I have my FTP set at 255 and it has recently been closer to 260)
  • Weight 63 kilos/138.5 lbs
  • Run split 4:11 (mismanaged my nutrition mid way through the run)

interesting because our AP and NP were the same, and bike splits around 30 min apart. 40 lbs less helps on this course, but i bet if we do IM Arizona or Florida you out bike me.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
interesting because our AP and NP were the same, and bike splits around 30 min apart. 40 lbs less helps on this course, but i bet if we do IM Arizona or Florida you out bike me.

Funny you say that. Blowing by all the little climbers on the Pemberton flats, then watching them zip past me on the Pemberton grade, lead to to wonder whether AZ should be my next race. The problem is, I just love this Whistler course and venue.

Glad you responded.....I saw you pre-race and on the run. Fun to see the ST community in action!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Funny you say that. Blowing by all the little climbers on the Pemberton flats, then watching them zip past me on the Pemberton grade, lead to to wonder whether AZ should be my next race. The problem is, I just love this Whistler course and venue.

Glad you responded.....I saw you pre-race and on the run. Fun to see the ST community in action!

Scott

I agree on the Whistler course...just amazing. But yes, you'd be better suited to a flatter/more rolling course. Even Tremblant where most of the elevation comes on gradual stuff other than the one big climb per loop but it is not like Whistler. Or perhaps the upcoming Chattanooga course.

Just to put it in perspective that was the lowest AP i have ever ridden and the highest up in the field I came off the bike (around 60th). Normally, I am 100-200 positions further back after the bike, My watts/Cda are not great. Having said, that, even if my aero position is bad, if i ride the same watts as you on the flats, I'll guess that my hole in the winds is going to be smaller than yours as 5'6". So we would ride a similar speed on the flats (my guess is if you ride like Penticton though you ride ahead of me). Guys your size riding at 220W instead of 180W are blowing me away on the flats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall stats:
swim: 53:43
bike: 5:26:46
run: 3:49:57
total: 10:14:18

Bike stats:
AP: 196 W
NP: 211 W
FTP: 292 W
TSS: 283
IF: 0.72
Weight: 78 kg

Comments:
- Fantastic swim. Bridged up to a fast pack of AG swimmers after the 1st loop. Perfect start.
- Over-biked on the first half and knew it. Thought I could back off the power on the flats (which I did) and recover for the last climb. Didn't work.
- Paid for the bike effort on the run. Difficult run course, but I think I could have 3:35 if I wasn't so spent from the start.
- Still eeked out a Kona slot, 5th place and 5 slots (surprising, normally 40-44 gets 6)! Still in disbelief: I figured I had dropped to 8th+ during the run. So grateful I gutted it out to pass 6th place at mile 23, especially considering I didn't know he was sixth and he didn't have age on his calf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

One of my athletes:

Norm Pwr: 249
Avg Pwr: 235

TSS: not much

Cadence: 90 rpm
Bike Time: 4.57
Run Time: fast

His Gripe: Catching much slower riders (after 70min swim) then having them rather optimistically drop him on the next hill. Pacing is key people.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Scott

I agree on the Whistler course...just amazing. But yes, you'd be better suited to a flatter/more rolling course. Even Tremblant where most of the elevation comes on gradual stuff other than the one big climb per loop but it is not like Whistler. Or perhaps the upcoming Chattanooga course.

Just to put it in perspective that was the lowest AP i have ever ridden and the highest up in the field I came off the bike (around 60th). Normally, I am 100-200 positions further back after the bike, My watts/Cda are not great. Having said, that, even if my aero position is bad, if i ride the same watts as you on the flats, I'll guess that my hole in the winds is going to be smaller than yours as 5'6". So we would ride a similar speed on the flats (my guess is if you ride like Penticton though you ride ahead of me). Guys your size riding at 220W instead of 180W are blowing me away on the flats!

Looks like I rolled through mile 59 just after special needs at 3:08 and back into Pemberton and mile 90 at 4:31. That is 83 minutes to cover 31 miles of flat (22.4mph), at an average of 207 watts. Rolling like that for 112 would yield quite a nice bike split at 5:00!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm Pwr: 223
Avg Pwr: 216
VI: 1.03
IF: 0.70

TSS: 260

Weight: 180 lbs
Bike Time: 5:21
Run Time: 3:38

Total: 10:16
AG: 40-44

Bike: 2013 Scott Plasma Premium
Wheels: Hed Jet C2 Disc, Hed Jet 6 C2

Crank: SRAM Force 53/39 - 175mm

Helmet: Giro Selector
Setup: Water between aero bars; concentrated bottle of EFS liquid shot / eFly on bike seat tube

Kit: Champion Systems tri suit (not the greatest and gets baggy by end of race)

Highlight: Scenery, being on the course with Marino Vanhoenacker (sp?), wife qualifying for Kona.
Lowlight: Second half of run. Relentless stitch followed by hip flexor issues, was 1:35 half way with loads left in tank.
Minor Gripe: None really. Usually first to moan about WTC's shitty shenanigans but the location, folly's and crowd were fantastic. Fair play.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: Jaymz: Aug 5, 14 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: IMC (Whistler) 2014 Power v Bike Time Thread [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

One of my athletes:

Norm Pwr: 249
Avg Pwr: 235

TSS: not much

Cadence: 90 rpm
Bike Time: 4.57
Run Time: fast

His Gripe: Catching much slower riders (after 70min swim) then having them rather optimistically drop him on the next hill. Pacing is key people.

Why so secretive....it takes a microsecond to load up the guy with a 70 min swim and 4:57 ride! Awesome race!

Justin KerrVancouver, NZL
09:24:37
M35-39
1/212
10/1355
1:10:28 4:57:03 3:11:39 3:21 2:07
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 3, 14 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Why so secretive....it takes a microsecond to load up the guy

Because I knew you would enjoy the thrill of the hunt ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah GreatScott. I saw your FTP is 275. Same as mine. And we are about the same weight. I think coasting really hurts the overall time. On the Pem flats I was at the exact same speed and watts, as you. Nice work. I bet if you keep the power up the whole time(no coasting) you'd cut tons of time off the bike. Plus, I base my FTP off a 20min trainer test. Minus 5%. I personally feel it's harder on a trainer and it gives me a more humble FTP to race with. I did a road FTP and it's up around 300. I felt that was too high to race with. So I chose the trainer FTP. But I felt comfortable going up to 240 on climbs because of that road test. Knowing I will not keep it there too long. I know many people will say that's not right but it worked out ok for me and I had a decent day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next