Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCDA Crash
Quote | Reply
All I know is that a female pro was hit by a car twenty miles into the bike. Not aware of injuries.

I was working in t1 when her bike was brought in. Di2 shifters were snapped, one was gone one was barely hanging on, rear der was slightly scratched, as was pedal. No marks on helmet.

If anyone has info on what happened or injuries, would be interested. Praying for her.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/dedegriesbauer

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Super super nice lady.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. Glad to see she's aware and, very relatively speaking, ok. Really sucks as she was pushing strong on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shitshitshit

I hope she recovers quickly. And I hope the truck driver gets more than that traffic ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks! My heart and thoughts go out to Dede.

So the driver of the truck was "unauthorized." How in the world was the driver able to turn on to the bike course, then not see Dede on her bike?!?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the kind words and the support. Truly a difficult day!

Dede is physically doing OK, emotionally a bit shaken. She has battled back before and will do the same again! Thanks again for the concern.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [DaveGriesbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wishing her a speedy and complete recovery.

And for the driver, may a thousand fleas infest his armpits. Or some similar curse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveGriesbauer wrote:
Thank you all for the kind words and the support. Truly a difficult day!

Dede is physically doing OK, emotionally a bit shaken. She has battled back before and will do the same again! Thanks again for the concern.

Glad to hear she is doing ok!

All our best to her and the whole family!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad she is doing well! Her mental fortitude is impressive!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That stinks, she is cool s$*t. how does that happen getting hit by a car during an IM?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveGriesbauer wrote:

Dede is physically doing OK, emotionally a bit shaken.

Glad to hear; sorry to hear.

Not sure how it'll pan out but I want her back next year. I think she could do some impressive things in that women's field!
Last edited by: Cervelokid: Jun 29, 15 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From twitter she said a Truck was illegally on the course and all the driver got was a traffic ticket :/
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [phenious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was almost hit by a car at IMCDA last year. The long out and back section is on a divided highway. Normally two lanes in each direction with a median in the middle. However it is a highway, not a freeway so there are cross roads. For a car to cross or turn left, they would typically cross the first two lanes, hang out in the median and then cross or turn when clear. For the IM they block off an entire side of the highway for bikes and send the traffic to the other two lanes. One lane each direction for cars and for bikes on the other side. Makes for a very nice ride as you are only contending with bicycles in your lane and in the opposing lane. The issue is at the crossroads.

Last year they had awesome volunteers and traffic marshals that would hold traffic at those crossroads and then send them across the bike lanes and to the median when safe. I was coming up to a cross roads and the traffic lady was there holding two cars for me to go through and for a guy coming the other way. All of a sudden a pickup comes darting out from behind the car she is holding and goes tearing across the lanes. I had to lay on the brakes and the guy coming the other way was inches from nailing the side of the truck. The traffic marshall was screaming at the old guy behind the wheel of the truck. He gave her a F*ck you and proceeded on.

Great course layout, but nothing can protect against a jerk intent on doing what he wants.
Last edited by: aarondb4: Jun 29, 15 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

I was almost hit by a car at IMCDA last year. The long out and back section is on a divided highway. Normally two lanes in each direction with a median in the middle. However it is a highway, not a freeway so there are cross roads. For a car to cross or turn left, they would typically cross the first two lanes, hang out in the median and then cross or turn when clear. For the IM they block off an entire side of the highway for bikes and send the traffic to the other two lanes. One lane each direction for cars and for bikes on the other side. Makes for a very nice ride as you are only contending with bicycles in your lane and in the opposing lane. The issue is at the crossroads.

Last year they had awesome volunteers and traffic marshals that would hold traffic at those crossroads and then send them across the bike lanes and to the median when safe. I was coming up to a cross roads and the traffic lady was there holding two cars for me to go through and for a guy coming the other way. All of a sudden a pickup comes darting out from behind the car she is holding and goes tearing across the lanes. I had to lay on the breaks and the guy coming the other way was inches from nailing the side of the truck. The traffic marshall was screaming at the old guy behind the wheel of the truck. He gave her a F*ck you and proceeded on.

Great course layout, but nothing can protect against a jerk intent on doing what he wants.

They need police officers, not volunteers, at those intersections.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Crash [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
They need police officers, not volunteers, at those intersections.

One year I did the Vineman full and they had police at one of the few crossroads on the run section. Some possibly drunk local tied to ignore her orders. never get on the bad side of a bored cop. It is a three loop out and back so we all got to watch the progression from the initial stop, to the guy in handcuffs while his cars was searched to the paddy wagon and tow truck. A traffic marshall wouldn't have been able to stop the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That situation sucks :( I tend to do the same reaces, (St. Anthony's, Smaller race at a state park, and then last year at Rev3 Florida). All of those have had Cops at Intersections to help control traffic. Even then I slowed down a lot as I got up to them just in case they had people as you described around. Ride safe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

I hear you. I'm going out on a limb here. I think the issue is just some folks are impatient and selfish when it comes to situations like this. Their thinking might be, "look at this! who do these people on their fancy bikes think they are?!? I've got places to go, don't have time to sit here in traffic!!!" They get irate because someone or something else is making them wait. They don't consider anyone but themselves. So, in a situation like this race, they blatantly ignore the traffic cop, tear around a corner, hit a cyclist, then keep on going, or just get a slap on the wrist. The problem is bigger than just putting more cops on the road. These selfish people need professional help to get to the root of their "it's all about me" attitude. The fact they disregarded someone else's life just shows how much they really hate their own. These people are just angry deep down in the core of their being. I actually pity them. However, it doesn't dismiss their actions. They do need to be held accountable, especially to safeguard lives.
Quote Reply